What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

SotT Dynasty Rankings Quarterbacks (2009) (1 Viewer)

buccosfan said:
you really have to think more about situation when you think of these things as well. i'd rather have warner/leinart than flacco. the cards play in a weak division. the ravens division isn't a whole lot better, but it does have the steelers. and being in the northeast can make it tougher late in the season to throw. then throw in the fact that, at least at this point, you can't possibly rely on flacco to throw for 300 yards and 3 TDs. You can reasonably expect that from the arizona qb with the WRs and lack of a running game they have.

as for personal observations, i'd rather have matt schaub than big ben or matt ryan because i'm convinced kubiak wants to throw the ball A LOT. i like ben and ryan, but i just don't see ben throwing for 4,500 yards and 40 TDs any time soon. since struggling in his first two games, schaub has thrown for at least 267 yards in every game, except the vikings game when he threw for 139 in a half. that's 278 in that game. that's a 4,000 yard season if he can stay healthy. a big if. but everyone assumed after a couple of years that fred taylor was injury prone too. despite missing 5.5 games, schaub is the no. 13 QB in my league. he's no. 4 in weekly average.
Shoot, Big Ben threw 32 last season, which is quite possibly more than any QB in the league is going to throw this season. Schaub's career-high is his current total of 13, and he's shown signs of red zone issues in his brief starting career. Throw in his inability to stay healthy, and he falls even further behind Ryan/Big Ben.

Matt Schaub is a good QB. Big Ben and Matt Ryan are great QBs.

FreeBaGeL said:
Decent QBs are a dime a dozen. 5000/30 QBs are not. Give me 2 years of Warner (and 8 years of whomever I can scrounge up beyond that) over 10 years of Flacco anyday.Plus, veteran QBs are super cheap in dynasty leagues anyway. You can probably get better production swapping those guys out every 3 years for a fraction of the cost of one less productive young QB.In dynasties, only truly elite QBs are worth really paying a price for.
I would be willing to bet large sums of money Warner doesnt throw for 5000 yards and 30 TD's next year, and are you sure Warner will be in the league for two more seasons? Also, i think Flacco will be better than a decent QB.To me this situation would be alot like trading Cutler for Favre two years ago.

stevegamer said:
I'm thinking these rankings are the usual start 1 QB league. Realize that anybody after the top 6-8 is a below average starter as a QB1, so to actually gain relative to opponents, you need to either have a stud, or a couple guys you can play matchups with.
:stirspot: I think in a typical 12-team league, you hit the nail on the head. You need a Top 6-8 starter to keep up with the rest of the guys in your league.I can see how 2-QB leagues or 20-owner leagues would change that whole dynamic.

I'm thinking these rankings are the usual start 1 QB league. Realize that anybody after the top 6-8 is a below average starter as a QB1, so to actually gain relative to opponents, you need to either have a stud, or a couple guys you can play matchups with.
:goodposting: I think in a typical 12-team league, you hit the nail on the head. You need a Top 6-8 starter to keep up with the rest of the guys in your league.I can see how 2-QB leagues or 20-owner leagues would change that whole dynamic.
That's why I've turned down every offer for Peyton I've ever received. I go into every season thinking I need a bye week QB only. A guy like Flacco would be nice to have as a bye week filler with longer-term possibilities, but he's not good injury insurance. Warner is good injury insurance. As an example, I grabbed Anderson last year and he was good injury insurance that year - this year, not close to good insurance. I couldn't move him for much of anything in the off-season, and I'm hoping he gets a starting shot again next year.

:goodposting: I think in a typical 12-team league, you hit the nail on the head. You need a Top 6-8 starter to keep up with the rest of the guys in your league.I can see how 2-QB leagues or 20-owner leagues would change that whole dynamic.
That's why I've turned down every offer for Peyton I've ever received. I go into every season thinking I need a bye week QB only. A guy like Flacco would be nice to have as a bye week filler with longer-term possibilities, but he's not good injury insurance. Warner is good injury insurance. As an example, I grabbed Anderson last year and he was good injury insurance that year - this year, not close to good insurance. I couldn't move him for much of anything in the off-season, and I'm hoping he gets a starting shot again next year.
I think people are assuming Warner is a sure thing next year, and Flacco has peaked in his rookie season.

Schaub is too low. Injury risk be damned.

If you prorate Matt Schaub's stats into 16 games you're looking at 23 TD's and 4 more on the ground. Plus, it took Steve Slaton most of the season to really get worked in. He didn't have a 20+ attempt game until four weeks ago. Since then, he hasn't gone a game with less than 20 attempts. There's no system in the league that's hotter right now.

And consider this. The Texans' top 5 weapons, Schaub (27), Slaton (22), Johnson (27), Kevin Walter (27) and Owen Daniels (26) are all an average of 25.8 years old.

Here's the ages of the Texans' offensive line from LT to RT. (23,29,27,25,25). This team is poised to be very good and for a very long time. I'd be willing to take Schaub after the top 4 names here.

I think people are assuming Warner is a sure thing next year, and Flacco has peaked in his rookie season.
Not true at all in my case. What I've stated is that the goal isn't to build a pretty roster full of young guys, it's to build a balanced roster that helps you win this year and every year. Furthermore, though Warner is no "sure thing," a player with the potential to put up 5,000 yards and 30+ TDs is absolutely worth the risk. I place more value on difference makers than I do on young guys that might grow up to be every week fantasy starters. Give me the chance at transcendence.I don't think Flacco has peaked at all. I think he'll continue to improve, but we don't know how good he will be. I know that he's a longshot to ever have a season as good as the one Warner is having now. And if/when Warner returns to Arizona next season, he has a good shot to put up another season better than any Flacco will ever post.

Fear & Loathing said:
Not true at all in my case. What I've stated is that the goal isn't to build a pretty roster full of young guys, it's to build a balanced roster that helps you win this year and every year. Furthermore, though Warner is no "sure thing," a player with the potential to put up 5,000 yards and 30+ TDs is absolutely worth the risk. I place more value on difference makers than I do on young guys that might grow up to be every week fantasy starters. Give me the chance at transcendence.I don't think Flacco has peaked at all. I think he'll continue to improve, but we don't know how good he will be. I know that he's a longshot to ever have a season as good as the one Warner is having now. And if/when Warner returns to Arizona next season, he has a good shot to put up another season better than any Flacco will ever post.
Waner has 7 more fantasy points than Flacco over the last 6 weeks, and Flacco has been a top 12 QB since week 7. If Warner plays next year, he would have to outscore Flacco by a huge margin and lead my team to a Championship for me to give up the future of Flacco beyond next season.

Waner has 7 more fantasy points than Flacco over the last 6 weeks, and Flacco has been a top 12 QB since week 7. If Warner plays next year, he would have to outscore Flacco by a huge margin and lead my team to a Championship for me to give up the future of Flacco beyond next season.
Which he would doubtlessly do. So now we only consider the last six weeks of the season? Shoot, I guess you're taking Flacco over Romo too.

Another Flacco over Warner supporter.

I love the post about Flacco to Warner down the stretch. It shows that Flacco is growing two fold while Warner has kind of regressed. Give the rookie his fair shake. In my home league which is QB heavy for TD's , Warner had 135 from week 7 on where Harbaugh started to let the rookie play. He scored 110. If you take away week 17 which most dont count the gap closes to 5 points from 7 to 16. Warner has been nothing spectacular since Boldin got hurt. Cards sucked really bad. I wonder how he does with there 1st place schedule next year if the red flags dont come true

I think Farve to Cutler is a great example in the end. How about Matt Hasselbeck or Duante Culpepper for Big Ben a few years back. Especially coming off a big rookie campaign and on a run 1st team with a great D.

I think if the league has any size that Flacco goes ahead of Warner. And the guy who said Warner and Leinart. That is probably going to cost you 2 picks in the end and close together. Cant wait to see a 16 team dynasty startup to see how things shake out. Warner has way too many red flags to take the chance. Talk of retiring. Matt Leinart, No contract next year. Boldin wanting out., I am pretty sure that if Flacco was your QB to start the year, you are in a rebuild or he was a future QB. Depends on who your other QB was. Maybe it was Phillip Rivers who was pretty cheap this off-season also. So Rivers=Flacco-Henne vs Warner=Leinart=Campbell in a dyansty. I take the Rivers part for fun. Injury happens and than I look to acquire a Warner type or hopefully got Matt Cassell or Tyler Thigpen from waivers. Even though in my 24 team league, neither was available.

Another Flacco over Warner supporter. I love the post about Flacco to Warner down the stretch. It shows that Flacco is growing two fold while Warner has kind of regressed. Give the rookie his fair shake. In my home league which is QB heavy for TD's , Warner had 135 from week 7 on where Harbaugh started to let the rookie play. He scored 110. If you take away week 17 which most dont count the gap closes to 5 points from 7 to 16. Warner has been nothing spectacular since Boldin got hurt. Cards sucked really bad. I wonder how he does with there 1st place schedule next year if the red flags dont come trueI think Farve to Cutler is a great example in the end. How about Matt Hasselbeck or Duante Culpepper for Big Ben a few years back. Especially coming off a big rookie campaign and on a run 1st team with a great D. I think if the league has any size that Flacco goes ahead of Warner. And the guy who said Warner and Leinart. That is probably going to cost you 2 picks in the end and close together. Cant wait to see a 16 team dynasty startup to see how things shake out. Warner has way too many red flags to take the chance. Talk of retiring. Matt Leinart, No contract next year. Boldin wanting out., I am pretty sure that if Flacco was your QB to start the year, you are in a rebuild or he was a future QB. Depends on who your other QB was. Maybe it was Phillip Rivers who was pretty cheap this off-season also. So Rivers=Flacco-Henne vs Warner=Leinart=Campbell in a dyansty. I take the Rivers part for fun. Injury happens and than I look to acquire a Warner type or hopefully got Matt Cassell or Tyler Thigpen from waivers. Even though in my 24 team league, neither was available.
:popcorn: I agree with a lot of what you're saying. Owners in a startup draft or 16-team Dynasty are going to have different priorities than owners in an established 12-team Dynasty. It just so happens that the rankings are geared towards the latter because that's what I play in. For me, current difference-maker (Warner) trumps a guy who has a chance to be an every week starter in the future. As I've said before, I'm gunning for a championship every year. I want the guy that helps me put the trophy on the mantle. If Warner isn't a difference maker -- and any guy with 30 TDs + 4,500 passing yards certainly is -- then it's a different story altogether. As long as he's in Arizona with Fitz, Boldin & Breaston, he's going to be a weekly advantage.Would I take Warner over Flacco in a 16-team startup? Good question. I'm not sure I can answer that one right now.

Which he would doubtlessly do. So now we only consider the last six weeks of the season? Shoot, I guess you're taking Flacco over Romo too.
I dont only consider six weeks of a season, but i do take trends into account. Particularly when you are talking about a rookie QB whos numbers got better as the season went on.Since you are taking QB's without considering their future beyond next season, i guess you would take Favre over Joe Flacco as well?

Last edited by a moderator:
When the updates come out are we still going to see Quinn ahead of Russell?
Updates are out, and Quinn is still well ahead of Russell.
Did I miss Quinn doing something to give him value? Sure he looked nice against Denver, but who didn't this year? Russell has at least shown some progress since he first stepped on the field. I realize both of these guys are still considered projects and hopefully no one is relying on either as a QB1. Guess it just depends on preference. I have Russell by a hair at this point, Just curious why you put Quinn "well ahead"

When the updates come out are we still going to see Quinn ahead of Russell?
Updates are out, and Quinn is still well ahead of Russell.
Did I miss Quinn doing something to give him value? Sure he looked nice against Denver, but who didn't this year? Russell has at least shown some progress since he first stepped on the field. I realize both of these guys are still considered projects and hopefully no one is relying on either as a QB1. Guess it just depends on preference. I have Russell by a hair at this point, Just curious why you put Quinn "well ahead"
Fair point . . . and I believe it is a matter of preference. I liked what I saw of Quinn, and at least his mechanics are fine. Russell has looked like crap every time I've seen him, and his footwork is atrocious. I like his late-season improvement, but is it really improvement or just a decent couple of games? There have been plenty of young QBs who closed out a season just fine only to revert back to poor play the following the season.

Last edited by a moderator:
Decent QBs are a dime a dozen. 5000/30 QBs are not. Give me 2 years of Warner (and 8 years of whomever I can scrounge up beyond that) over 10 years of Flacco anyday.Plus, veteran QBs are super cheap in dynasty leagues anyway. You can probably get better production swapping those guys out every 3 years for a fraction of the cost of one less productive young QB.In dynasties, only truly elite QBs are worth really paying a price for.
:goodposting: :goodposting:
Seconded.
I bought on Matty Ryan this year for that reason alone... normally I would have just gone my plug-and-play route.

Another Flacco over Warner supporter. I love the post about Flacco to Warner down the stretch. It shows that Flacco is growing two fold while Warner has kind of regressed. Give the rookie his fair shake. In my home league which is QB heavy for TD's , Warner had 135 from week 7 on where Harbaugh started to let the rookie play. He scored 110. If you take away week 17 which most dont count the gap closes to 5 points from 7 to 16. Warner has been nothing spectacular since Boldin got hurt. Cards sucked really bad. I wonder how he does with there 1st place schedule next year if the red flags dont come trueI think Farve to Cutler is a great example in the end. How about Matt Hasselbeck or Duante Culpepper for Big Ben a few years back. Especially coming off a big rookie campaign and on a run 1st team with a great D. I think if the league has any size that Flacco goes ahead of Warner. And the guy who said Warner and Leinart. That is probably going to cost you 2 picks in the end and close together. Cant wait to see a 16 team dynasty startup to see how things shake out. Warner has way too many red flags to take the chance. Talk of retiring. Matt Leinart, No contract next year. Boldin wanting out., I am pretty sure that if Flacco was your QB to start the year, you are in a rebuild or he was a future QB. Depends on who your other QB was. Maybe it was Phillip Rivers who was pretty cheap this off-season also. So Rivers=Flacco-Henne vs Warner=Leinart=Campbell in a dyansty. I take the Rivers part for fun. Injury happens and than I look to acquire a Warner type or hopefully got Matt Cassell or Tyler Thigpen from waivers. Even though in my 24 team league, neither was available.
:goodposting: I agree with a lot of what you're saying. Owners in a startup draft or 16-team Dynasty are going to have different priorities than owners in an established 12-team Dynasty. It just so happens that the rankings are geared towards the latter because that's what I play in. For me, current difference-maker (Warner) trumps a guy who has a chance to be an every week starter in the future. As I've said before, I'm gunning for a championship every year. I want the guy that helps me put the trophy on the mantle. If Warner isn't a difference maker -- and any guy with 30 TDs + 4,500 passing yards certainly is -- then it's a different story altogether. As long as he's in Arizona with Fitz, Boldin & Breaston, he's going to be a weekly advantage.Would I take Warner over Flacco in a 16-team startup? Good question. I'm not sure I can answer that one right now.
I think there are a lot of factors to consider and it is conceivable that one could take either depending on how their draft shapes up early on. Sometimes it unfolds and you have a team that may not compete right away, sometimes you really like what you see and want to go for the kill in year 1. Another thing depends on just how much you like Flacco. I am not sold that he will be an elite QB, so I personally would lean to Warner. I do like Flacco, but not as much as some do. Now if this was Ryan, it would be no contest for me because I see Ryan as a top 5 stud QB. But a lot in an initial dynasty depends on what your team is looking like and how you feel about Flacco long-term. But keeping an open mind throughout the draft and adjusting as you go (within your parameters) is the best way in my opinion.

There are three guys who I would probably have higher:

Cassel - as a Jets fan, I hate thinking that the Pats have another gem on their hands, but he certainly looked impressive this year. I think he will have a chance to start somewhere next year (NE if Brady can't get back or elsewhere - perhaps even my Jets??)

Russell - We know he has the talent... he was very inconsistent all year but he sure seemed to turn a corner for me towards the end of th year. It was his first year starting and they also had OL and WR issues. If they add a dynamic WR (Crabtree probably out of reach) or upgrade OLine with a top tackle, he could emerge as a force.

Tavaris - sure put an impressive run together towards the end of the season. Did the light go on? Rice is young and will emerge, and with ADP and that line...

Honorable mention goes to Chad Pennington - I've always been a fan and I think we made a big mistake bringing in Favre over him. He's a smart QB (for all the talk of Favre not figuring out the Jets playbook, no one ever said that about him). In the right situation, he will be successful (both NFL and fantasy-wise), and he's always going to be had cheaper than his value... He finished at QB9 for me in most leagues, and while I don't think he ever has top 3-5 kind of potential, I can definitely see him being a regular in the top 10 for the next 5-6 years.

I agree with a lot of what you're saying. Owners in a startup draft or 16-team Dynasty are going to have different priorities than owners in an established 12-team Dynasty. It just so happens that the rankings are geared towards the latter because that's what I play in. For me, current difference-maker (Warner) trumps a guy who has a chance to be an every week starter in the future. As I've said before, I'm gunning for a championship every year. I want the guy that helps me put the trophy on the mantle. If Warner isn't a difference maker -- and any guy with 30 TDs + 4,500 passing yards certainly is -- then it's a different story altogether. As long as he's in Arizona with Fitz, Boldin & Breaston, he's going to be a weekly advantage.Would I take Warner over Flacco in a 16-team startup? Good question. I'm not sure I can answer that one right now.
I think the important discussion here is not startup vs. established league, but 12 teams vs. 16 teams. To me, the future vs. now balance is forever in play. You can't always be rebuilding, but you can't always ignore future value. If your team is older, then you want a guy who can help you win now, but if your team is younger and not ready to compete then Warner is a waste.Having come mostly from 12 team leagues into a few 16 team dynasties a few years back, I completely undervalued QBs. There is usually a real dropoff after QB12-15... so not only do you have 4 more starting QBs, you have 4 more backup QBs. If everyone in a 16 team league has 2 QBs rostered, there are literally no starting QBs available...

Regarding Carson Palmer, I get the uncertainty with the injury, but I can't see ranking him among Flacco and Quinn, 2 QB's who have proved nothing so far (well maybe Flacco has). Palmer has already proven he is a top-5 QB when healthy. Am I wrong in thinking he'll be fine next season and belongs in Tier 2?

I don't get having Shaun Hill in Tier 4 while having Cassel in Tier 5. I think they should be swapped.

Not sure why Stanton is in Tier 6. Isn't he better suited in Tier 7 with the other "never played much" younger players and the "completely washed up" older players? I just noticed Stanton is ranked almost 20 spots above current starter Orlovsky. This makes no sense whatsoever.

Jamarcus Russell should be higher also. He's been steadily improving on a bad team. He is 24 and a full time starter for the forseeable future and doesn't belong among a bunch of backup QB's that will never see action.

Users who are viewing this thread