What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Source: Travis Henry May Win Appeal (1 Viewer)

Raider Nation

Devil's Advocate
Interesting parts bolded.

By Josina Anderson, FOX 31 Sports

DENVER - Just four days after Denver Broncos Running Back Travis Henry participated in a hearing to fight the results of a positive marijuana test, a source with first-hand knowledge of the situation said they believe Henry has a chance at winning his appeal on a technicality.

"He's got a shot to win this. They [the National Football League] f****d up," said the inside source.

Last Friday, at the downtown Hyatt in Phoenix Arizona, lawyers defended Henry's case in his requested appeal hearing.

Prior to the appeal hearing, Henry's lawyers asked the League to turn over all documents related to Henry's latest positive test result that existed two weeks prior to, and two weeks after the actual test, the source said.

"Henry's lawyers asked [the League] 'is this all?' They were told 'yes.' They asked again, 'is this all?' They were told, 'yes.' Well it was not all," the source revealed.

The same source said -to their knowledge- it was unknown that there were unproduced materials in the discovery process prior to the appeal. The source said this miscue may be enough to allow the hearing officer to rule in Henry's favor, and thereby result in the Broncos running back escaping a one-year suspension.

"It's an issue of fairness. If the players are held to a strict stance, everybody else has to abide by the same policy."

"Did it have an effect? Maybe, or maybe not. The fact is, it could have potentially affected his case."

This sentiment comes despite the fact that Henry tested positive for marijuana with a result of 21ng/ml. The League's benchmark is 15ng/ml.

When asked if the hearing officer might recommend a shorter suspension as a compromise, given the lack of complete discovery, the source expressed doubt. "My guess is that it's going to be all or nothing," they said. "I don't think that the hearing officer has the power to modify the suspension [length]."

"The only reason why [Henry] would have a favorable ruling is because of that screw up."

On November 12th, Broncos head coach Mike Shanahan defended the innocence of his starting running back after announcing that Henry had passed both a lie detector and hair sample test.

However, the source does not believe the team-scheduled tests will have any bearing on the hearing officer's decision.

According to the source, the line of questioning from the lie detector test was introduced as evidence during the appeal hearing, but it was not impressive. "There were questions like…'did you smoke a marijuana joint between these such and such dates?"

"What's wrong with that? It doesn't ask you if you smoked the marijuana from a bong or a pipe," answered the inside source. "The question should have been, did you knowingly ingest marijuana," explained the source.

"There is a reason why the League doesn't use hair sample tests and lie detector tests; they're not reliable," opined the source.

Henry has said that a decision on his appeal is expected as early as Tuesday.

Calls to Henry's lawyers were not immediately returned for this report.
LINK

so do you think in light of this he has a future with Denver? I wonder if they will keep him and play him if its known he escaped only on a technicality???

FWIW, decision is likely a week a way at a minimum. All teams are treated equally...meaning Monday Night's game wasn't viewed as a Monday night game by the NFL, it was ruled as a week 11 contest. With no decision on Tues. and two Thurs Week 12 games, it is highly unlikely that a suspension ruling will be determined the day before Week 12 (Thurs.) begins. At the earliest look for a Tues of next week ruling. Kind of crazy but the stars seem to keep aligning for Henry. Then again if the appeal is valid look for a ruling much sooner.

Kind of crazy but the stars seem to keep aligning for Henry.
So it would seem. Two things I should have mentioned. Josina Anderson is a very reputable reporter, so take what she writes with more than a grain of salt. Also, I'm typically skeptical when I hear from "sources"... but this person clearly had intimate knowledge of everything which occurred in that meeting.

Have you heard the NFL-League Office ruling that NFL weeks are single events, not individual game dates? Happen to run across an attny in court today that acts as a professional sports agent. While waiting for cases in separate federal cases I had a chance to talk about a few things. Kind of struck a chord with the Henry thing, grabbed lunch together. He's an interesting guy, represents about 20 NFL players and several other pro athletes in other fields. Interesting prospective to say the least.

He's the guy that says the NFL views each week as a single event. Has anyone else heard this?

Last edited by a moderator:
This is the same station and the same reporter that reported Larry Johnson was out for the year back on November 6, right? You're calling her very reputable?

so do you think in light of this he has a future with Denver? I wonder if they will keep him and play him if its known he escaped only on a technicality???
Whether he gets suspended or not, Shanahan firmly believes in his innocence. Whether he gets off on a technicality or not, Shanahan's already decided he's innocent and will be glad to have Henry back. Shanny really went to bat for Henry, apparently to a degree that the league is very upset over, so I find it hard to believe he'd change his mind, regardless of what argument wound up doing the trick.

This remains the biggest nightmare of my season. For weeks I've kept both Travis and Selvin on my bench, afraid to get rid of either one, afraid to start either one. I just know Henry will avoid suspension, and then who's starting each game will be a GTD. And whoever does start will only get some of the carries, rbbc. And now Andre Hall will be worked into the mix, too. NIGHTMARE!!!

And whoever does start will only get some of the carries, rbbc. And now Andre Hall will be worked into the mix, too. NIGHTMARE!!!
THAT'S NOT GOING TO HAPPEN! If Henry wins his appeal, he is the #1 RB. If he's healthy enough to play, he will get the majority of the carries. Yes, Young has done well in his place, and yes, Hall had a good 4th quarter on Monday. But the fact is before Henry got hurt, he was putting up good numbers, and if/when he is healthy (and if not suspended), he will get the majority of carries.

According to the source, the line of questioning from the lie detector test was introduced as evidence during the appeal hearing, but it was not impressive. "There were questions like…'did you smoke a marijuana joint between these such and such dates?""What's wrong with that? It doesn't ask you if you smoked the marijuana from a bong or a pipe," answered the inside source. "The question should have been, did you knowingly ingest marijuana," explained the source.
I thought this was interesting. When I heard that Henry offered to take a hair sample and took a lie detector test, I thought maybe he was innocent. Then you read the question that he was asked and you wonder how they think they could get away with that? Not much different than a cop pulling over an obvious drunk and asking him have you had any beers tonight? The drunk answers honestly, NO.

Whether he gets suspended or not, Shanahan firmly believes in his innocence. Whether he gets off on a technicality or not, Shanahan's already decided he's innocent and will be glad to have Henry back. Shanny really went to bat for Henry, apparently to a degree that the league is very upset over, so I find it hard to believe he'd change his mind, regardless of what argument wound up doing the trick.
Shanahan's reputation is on the line here too.

By Josina Anderson, FOX 31 Sports

On November 12th, Broncos head coach Mike Shanahan defended the innocence of his starting running back after announcing that Henry had passed both a lie detector and hair sample test.

However, the source does not believe the team-scheduled tests will have any bearing on the hearing officer's decision.

According to the source, the line of questioning from the lie detector test was introduced as evidence during the appeal hearing, but it was not impressive. "There were questions like…'did you smoke a marijuana joint between these such and such dates?"

"What's wrong with that? It doesn't ask you if you smoked the marijuana from a bong or a pipe," answered the inside source. "The question should have been, did you knowingly ingest marijuana," explained the source.
Shanahan's use of lie detectors is deplorable to begin with. Frankly, I can't believe the NFL allows him to publicize this sort of propoganda to begin with when it is contrary to NFL determinations. If he's using them to manipulate public opinion using BS questions which can be answered honestly yet be unresponsively to the real question, it's even more deplorable yet. On the larger topic of Henry having a legit chance to win the appeal, it's impossible to know whether to give credence to this report without knowing the bias of the individual being quoted. There's usually a reason one agrees to be a "source" as opposed to being named. Now, I understand it could be that the source is biased in favor of the NFL, and doesn't want to go on record saying they f'd up. The point is we just don't know. I seem to recall Vick insiders [i.e. "sources in the know"] feeding Clayton/Mort opinions of how Vick would be dealt with by the feds.

According to the source, the line of questioning from the lie detector test was introduced as evidence during the appeal hearing, but it was not impressive. "There were questions like…'did you smoke a marijuana joint between these such and such dates?""What's wrong with that? It doesn't ask you if you smoked the marijuana from a bong or a pipe," answered the inside source. "The question should have been, did you knowingly ingest marijuana," explained the source.
I thought this was interesting. When I heard that Henry offered to take a hair sample and took a lie detector test, I thought maybe he was innocent. Then you read the question that he was asked and you wonder how they think they could get away with that? Not much different than a cop pulling over an obvious drunk and asking him have you had any beers tonight? The drunk answers honestly, NO.
I don't know much about the various methods of drug testing, but I really don't care about lie detector tests regardless of the questions asked. They are not particularly reliable.

This is the same station and the same reporter that reported Larry Johnson was out for the year back on November 6, right? You're calling her very reputable?
How do we know this isn't true?
go read the story. she reported that he'd broken his foot and that he was out for the season as of November 6. I listened to an interview with Herman Edwards today, saying LJ was out of the boot, the swelling was down, and they expect him back this season. the story was speculation. even if she turns out to be right, it was still speculation. that's not reputable journalism.

News: Henry had expected a ruling on his appeal by Tuesday, but the league said Tuesday it has not yet made a decsion, the Denver Post reports.

Spin: While there are no guarantees, it looks like at least from a suspension standpoint, Henry should be able to play this week. The NFL typically has informed players and teams of suspensions before the work week really gets going on Wednesday, so the fact Henry has not yet been informed could be a good sign for this week. Also, the fact the league is still even considering the appeal could be a positive sign for Henry. However, even if he is eligible to play Sunday against the Bears, he still will have to show he is recovered from his knee injury. The team says the knee is improving, but the Broncos aren't sure if he'll be able to practice much this week.

Nov. 21, 9:57 AM ET

And so the nightmare continues...

Here's the way it's going to be for the rest of the year:

Will Henry be suspended? Maybe yes, maybe know. We'll know in a couple of weeks...

Will Henry start this week? Maybe yes, maybe no. It's always a game time decision.

If Henry starts, will he get the majority of carries? Maybe yes, maybe no. He might have to split time with Young. He might have to split time with Young and Hall. He might get reinjured in the 1st quarter.

If Henry doesn't start, will Young get most of the carries? Maybe yes, maybe no. Maybe Young will start, and then gimpy Henry will come in later. Oh wait, now Young is gimpy too. Maybe Hall will get plenty more carries. Maybe Young will start and then come out.

Arrghhhhh!!!!

Even if Henry wins, the guy has not been productive for two months already.
Two months ago he led the league in rushing. Plus Denver's got one of the softest remaining schedules against the run in the league. If the starting tailback in Denver doesn't represent enough value to warrant a discussion to you, feel free to visit one of the Ricky Williams or Kolby Smith threads.Back on topic, the Denver Post is saying Henry won't hear until Monday at the earliest what the result of the appeal is: http://www.denverpost.com/ci_7517129
I appreciate the condescending tone. :football: Especially when my post was indeed something of value in regard to this subject. TWO MONTHS AGO he led the league in rushing. THATS MY POINT. He has done squat since... When he has been playing, he has not been productive. More often than not of late, Young has been playing as Henry is (shocker) dinged up.

With that in mind, if you are counting on Henry for anything other than a long shot to do something for you come playoff time, then good luck.

Here's the way it's going to be for the rest of the year:Will Henry be suspended? Maybe yes, maybe know. We'll know in a couple of weeks...Will Henry start this week? Maybe yes, maybe no. It's always a game time decision.If Henry starts, will he get the majority of carries? Maybe yes, maybe no. He might have to split time with Young. He might have to split time with Young and Hall. He might get reinjured in the 1st quarter.If Henry doesn't start, will Young get most of the carries? Maybe yes, maybe no. Maybe Young will start, and then gimpy Henry will come in later. Oh wait, now Young is gimpy too. Maybe Hall will get plenty more carries. Maybe Young will start and then come out.Arrghhhhh!!!!
Typical Denver RB headache. Happens every year (even though they really didn't mean to this year).....I hope Henry gets thru this thing and gets back on the field......

Shanahan's reputation is on the line here too.
Let me just inform you of something about Shanahan's rep......it's very questionable, at best. This guy will sign the devil if he can run fast and/or tackle.......Brings in way too many players with questionable character....T.Henry ain't the firstJust look at his draft this past year......and dare I mention Clarett in the 3rd Rd........

Two months ago he led the league in rushing. Plus Denver's got one of the softest remaining schedules against the run in the league. If the starting tailback in Denver doesn't represent enough value to warrant a discussion to you, feel free to visit one of the Ricky Williams or Kolby Smith threads.Back on topic, the Denver Post is saying Henry won't hear until Monday at the earliest what the result of the appeal is: http://www.denverpost.com/ci_7517129
I appreciate the condescending tone. :lmao: Especially when my post was indeed something of value in regard to this subject. TWO MONTHS AGO he led the league in rushing. THATS MY POINT. He has done squat since... When he has been playing, he has not been productive. More often than not of late, Young has been playing as Henry is (shocker) dinged up.

With that in mind, if you are counting on Henry for anything other than a long shot to do something for you come playoff time, then good luck.
There are already hundreds of Henry threads talking about how bad he is, how injury prone he is, how Selvin Young is the next great RB, how Andre Hall is the sleeper of the year, how Cecil Sapp will vulture carries, etc. etc. etc. etc. This has all been discussed ad nauseum. Check the subject of this thread again. Hint: it isn't "If Henry beats his appeal, what do you think about his value", it's for news regarding his appeal. Your opinion on Henry's performance the last 8 weeks has nothing to do with this, and is better suited for one of the other thousand Henry threads.

I appreciate the condescending tone. :bow: Especially when my post was indeed something of value in regard to this subject. TWO MONTHS AGO he led the league in rushing. THATS MY POINT. He has done squat since... When he has been playing, he has not been productive. More often than not of late, Young has been playing as Henry is (shocker) dinged up.

There are already hundreds of Henry threads talking about how bad he is, how injury prone he is, how Selvin Young is the next great RB, how Andre Hall is the sleeper of the year, how Cecil Sapp will vulture carries, etc. etc. etc. etc. This has all been discussed ad nauseum. Check the subject of this thread again. Hint: it isn't "If Henry beats his appeal, what do you think about his value", it's for news regarding his appeal. Your opinion on Henry's performance the last 8 weeks has nothing to do with this, and is better suited for one of the other thousand Henry threads.
This is a Henry thread. If there were only one thread, that would be best - but this is the current discussion. And the fact that people are getting all up in arms either way re: winning the appeal or no seems spurious to me, seeing as Henry has not been productive for two months.That absolutely can fit in this thread, because this thread and its topic may very well be much ado about nothing. Someone who owns Henry and is looking for info may realize that it doesnt matter if he wins the appeal, they better have other options now, and for the FF playoffs.

I've been here long enough to know the proper protocol.

This is a Henry thread. If there were only one thread, that would be best - but this is the current discussion. And the fact that people are getting all up in arms either way re: winning the appeal or no seems spurious to me, seeing as Henry has not been productive for two months.That absolutely can fit in this thread, because this thread and its topic may very well be much ado about nothing. Someone who owns Henry and is looking for info may realize that it doesnt matter if he wins the appeal, they better have other options now, and for the FF playoffs. I've been here long enough to know the proper protocol.
Let's be fair though. He has been banged up for the last 4 weeks, missing 3 games, and one that he didn't miss, they fell so far behind he didn't even get a chance to get going. That's like saying SJax hasn't been really productive for the last 6 weeks. In the last 2 months Denver has played 7 games. Henry has played in 4 of them, Indy, SD, Pit and Det. Some pretty decent defenses (ranked 16, 23, 4, 8 against the run and the 23rd is skewed because of the SD/Min game).And do they have other options, yes. Better? No. Young has been filling in nicely, but his performances haven't been great and they don't match up to what Henry was producing earlier in the season. That said, I agree that anyone whose counting on Henry is setting themselves up for disappointment. He's a guy you hold on to and hope that he can regain his form.

I appreciate the condescending tone. :confused: Especially when my post was indeed something of value in regard to this subject. TWO MONTHS AGO he led the league in rushing. THATS MY POINT. He has done squat since... When he has been playing, he has not been productive. More often than not of late, Young has been playing as Henry is (shocker) dinged up.

This is a Henry thread. If there were only one thread, that would be best - but this is the current discussion. And the fact that people are getting all up in arms either way re: winning the appeal or no seems spurious to me, seeing as Henry has not been productive for two months.That absolutely can fit in this thread, because this thread and its topic may very well be much ado about nothing. Someone who owns Henry and is looking for info may realize that it doesnt matter if he wins the appeal, they better have other options now, and for the FF playoffs.

wow.

This is a Henry thread. If there were only one thread, that would be best - but this is the current discussion. And the fact that people are getting all up in arms either way re: winning the appeal or no seems spurious to me, seeing as Henry has not been productive for two months.

That absolutely can fit in this thread, because this thread and its topic may very well be much ado about nothing. Someone who owns Henry and is looking for info may realize that it doesnt matter if he wins the appeal, they better have other options now, and for the FF playoffs.

Yes, you are correct, it is a Henry thread. Gold star.But every thread about Henry's suspension/appeal/rib injury/knee injury/children/favorite marijuana strain does not require a visit from all the Denver/Henry haters and Selvin/Hall/Sapp owners to highlight his recent uselessness in fantasy football. Everyone already knows he's been useless because there are already hundreds of threads talking about it. This thread is about the news that he may win his appeal.

But I'm further polluting this thread just by arguing with you about this. If you still don't get it, post away and I'll just check back on page 4 if and when there's something of substance added.

Here's the way it's going to be for the rest of the year:Will Henry be suspended? Maybe yes, maybe know. We'll know in a couple of weeks...Will Henry start this week? Maybe yes, maybe no. It's always a game time decision.If Henry starts, will he get the majority of carries? Maybe yes, maybe no. He might have to split time with Young. He might have to split time with Young and Hall. He might get reinjured in the 1st quarter.If Henry doesn't start, will Young get most of the carries? Maybe yes, maybe no. Maybe Young will start, and then gimpy Henry will come in later. Oh wait, now Young is gimpy too. Maybe Hall will get plenty more carries. Maybe Young will start and then come out.Arrghhhhh!!!!
I can answer the last two questions for you. If Henry starts, then yes he will get the majority of the carries, barring injury. If Henry doesn't start, then yes Young will get the majority of the carries, barring injury. Now all you have to worry about is questions #1 and #2.

go read the story. she reported that he'd broken his foot and that he was out for the season as of November 6. I listened to an interview with Herman Edwards today, saying LJ was out of the boot, the swelling was down, and they expect him back this season. the story was speculation. even if she turns out to be right, it was still speculation. that's not reputable journalism.
So Edwards denied that Johnson's foot was broken? And Edwards guaranteed he'll be back this season? I don't see that in his press conference.
Q: Any update on Larry Johnson’s injury? Has he been reevaluated?

EDWARDS: “Same thing. He’s getting rehab, is going to be out this week. Feeling a little better.”

Q: Did he see somebody yesterday and what were the results of that?

EDWARDS: “Same and they said keep doing what you’re doing.”

Q: What has been found?

EDWARDS: “That he’s rehabbing it.”

Q: No breaks?

CARL PETERSON: “We said from the onset that we’re not going to get into any medical terms.”

Q: All right. How’s Will Svitek?

EDWARDS: “Will Svitek is out and he’s getting better.”

Q: What’s his injury?

EDWARDS: “Sore foot.”

Q: Is that what Larry’s injury is?

EDWARDS: “Sore foot. We’ve already explained it. It’s his foot. It’s what it has been all along.”

Last edited by a moderator:
This is a Henry thread. If there were only one thread, that would be best - but this is the current discussion. And the fact that people are getting all up in arms either way re: winning the appeal or no seems spurious to me, seeing as Henry has not been productive for two months.

That absolutely can fit in this thread, because this thread and its topic may very well be much ado about nothing. Someone who owns Henry and is looking for info may realize that it doesnt matter if he wins the appeal, they better have other options now, and for the FF playoffs.

Yes, you are correct, it is a Henry thread. Gold star.But every thread about Henry's suspension/appeal/rib injury/knee injury/children/favorite marijuana strain does not require a visit from all the Denver/Henry haters and Selvin/Hall/Sapp owners to highlight his recent uselessness in fantasy football. Everyone already knows he's been useless because there are already hundreds of threads talking about it. This thread is about the news that he may win his appeal.

But I'm further polluting this thread just by arguing with you about this. If you still don't get it, post away and I'll just check back on page 4 if and when there's something of substance added.
Keep up the condescending nature... very becoming. And not everyone has a horse in this race. I own neither Young nor Henry... but again, I don't think the suspension is the only issue here at all, which is my point.

So Edwards denied that Johnson's foot was broken? And Edwards guaranteed he'll be back this season? I don't see that in his press conference.
Q: Any update on Larry Johnson’s injury? Has he been reevaluated?

EDWARDS: “Same thing. He’s getting rehab, is going to be out this week. Feeling a little better.”

Q: Did he see somebody yesterday and what were the results of that?

EDWARDS: “Same and they said keep doing what you’re doing.”

Q: What has been found?

EDWARDS: “That he’s rehabbing it.”

Q: No breaks?

CARL PETERSON: “We said from the onset that we’re not going to get into any medical terms.”

Q: All right. How’s Will Svitek?

EDWARDS: “Will Svitek is out and he’s getting better.”

Q: What’s his injury?

EDWARDS: “Sore foot.”

Q: Is that what Larry’s injury is?

EDWARDS: “Sore foot. We’ve already explained it. It’s his foot. It’s what it has been all along.”
I was listening to a live interview this morning on the radio, not reading the transcript of a press conference. He said Johnson's out of the boot he was wearing, the swelling's down, and that they expect him to play this season. That's a far cry from the reported story stating as a fact that Johnson was out for the year.

How has LJ contaminated the Henry thread?
the Henry thread is based on unnamed sources from a reporter who has a history of reporting things as fact that aren't. the issue is whether this story has any credibility, or is just groundless speculation by a reporter with a history of trying to be the first to break news, regardless of the facts.

Users who are viewing this thread