What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Sparano new Dolphins HC (1 Viewer)

scott72

Footballguy
Dolphins hire Sparano as head coach

Associated Press

DAVIE, Fla. -- Tony Sparano was named head coach of the Miami Dolphins Wednesday morning, becoming the eighth head coach in team history. The former Dallas Cowboys assistant head coach is the Dolphins' fifth coach since 2004.

Miami Dolphins

Complete coverage:

Video | Schedule | Stats

Roster | Depth chart | Transactions

Official team site: MiamiDolphins.com

Sparano, 46, became available for hire when the Cowboys lost their playoff game Sunday to the New York Giants. He had been the front-runner for the Dolphins job since they fired Cam Cameron after he went 1-15 in his first year as an NFL head coach.

The Dolphins have repeatedly tapped the Dallas pipeline since the arrival of Parcells. Former Dallas assistant David Lee was hired as quarterbacks coach, and on Tuesday, Brian Gaine was hired as assistant director of player personnel after three years as the Cowboys' assistant director of pro scouting.

Sparano joined Parcells in Dallas in 2003 as tight ends coach, became offensive line coach in 2005 and called plays for Parcells in 2006. He was promoted to assistant head coach last February.

His only head coaching experience was at New Haven in 1994-98.

The Dolphins are coming off the worst season in team history. They lost their first 13 games and missed the playoffs for the sixth consecutive year, extending a franchise record.

Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press.

Is this the LEAST surprising HC hiring EVER??
The question is, since there were reports he was actually offered the job prior to Dallas being done, will JJ be bringing a case to the NFL front office?Note that I'm not saying whether the reports are true, just that they WERE reported, and I believe that would violate league rules for tampering.

Is this the LEAST surprising HC hiring EVER??
Nah...there have been plenty of "no brainer" hires; it wasn't long ago that owners didn't have to jump through hoops to satisfy the Rooney Rules. They often hired the one guy they had their sights on.

Jerry Jones really needs to lock the back door and secure his garbage cans.

Dallas coaches and front office guys are leaving in droves.

Paul Pasqualoni is rumored to be our new DC.

Jerry Jones really needs to lock the back door and secure his garbage cans.Dallas coaches and front office guys are leaving in droves.Paul Pasqualoni is rumored to be our new DC.
:sadbanana: Really? I sure hope not for your sake.
whats wrong with Pasqualoni?
Not a fan...from what I understand of him, his success at Syracuse was all about being an excellent motivator and recruiter but when it came to the Xs and Os he was well short of elite. Certainly one could look at the lack of success at 'Cuse since they fired him and make the case he was an excellent coach, but I really don't know about handing a veteran defense over to the likes of a guy with three years of NFL experience (one of which was on offense).

Jerry Jones really needs to lock the back door and secure his garbage cans.Dallas coaches and front office guys are leaving in droves.Paul Pasqualoni is rumored to be our new DC.
:thumbup: Really? I sure hope not for your sake.
Not a fan...from what I understand of him, his success at Syracuse was all about being an excellent motivator and recruiter but when it came to the Xs and Os he was well short of elite. Certainly one could look at the lack of success at 'Cuse since they fired him and make the case he was an excellent coach, but I really don't know about handing a veteran defense over to the likes of a guy with three years of NFL experience (one of which was on offense).
Dan Pees of the Patriots is almost the same. Always coached in college, 2 years as Patriots Linebackers coach and then promoted to defensive coordinator. Pasqualoni was one of the most successful coaches in syracuse history. I just don't see where the guy has ever failed so I was surprised at your comment.

:thumbup: Really? I sure hope not for your sake.
Dan Pees of the Patriots is almost the same. Always coached in college, 2 years as Patriots Linebackers coach and then promoted to defensive coordinator. Pasqualoni was one of the most successful coaches in syracuse history. I just don't see where the guy has ever failed so I was surprised at your comment.
The difference between Pees and Pasqualoni is that Pees is basically playing lieutenant to one of the smartest, most experience coaches in league history. He stands to the side of a guy who not only micro-manages, but does so brilliantly. Whereas Pasqualoni would be heading up a defense alongside a completely inexperienced head coach, whose experience is on offense.To me, that's a huge difference. Not saying Paul P can't/won't be good. I didn't like the McCarthy or Payton hires so WTH do I know? :pickle:

JWood - Gimme the breakdown on Tony Sparano. Let me know what to expect in 2008.

Someone with more HC experience would have made me more comfortable - the last few 'next greats' have fell very far short down here on the beach

So, Ronnie Brown/Ricky Williams 08 = MBIII/Julius Jones 07

At least Assuming Ronnie starts the season healthy..

Last edited by a moderator:
JWood - Gimme the breakdown on Tony Sparano. Let me know what to expect in 2008.

Someone with more HC experience would have made me more comfortable - the last few 'next greats' have fell very far short down here on the beach
I don't know about that...I don't think as outside observers there's any way we can truly handicap success. Just look at the coaches in the league today...As to Sparano, he's younger than he looks (I was surprised to see he was 46) and most of his coaching career has been spent on offensive lines & tight ends. He got his NFL start in 1999 as a QC coach under Chris Palmer and the expansion Browns. This is telling because Parcells have always loved Chris Palmer (inexplicably). He then joined Marty Schottenheimer in Washington as the TE coach, but that gig only lasted a year (Marty was one and done). From there he landed in Jacksonville again as TE coach but, again, his sense of timing was off b/c it happened to be Coughlin's last season; and Sparano wasn't retained by Del Rio. He joined the Cowboys with Parcells in 2003 and remained under Phillips; which I think speaks to his qualifications quite a bit.

Remember when Shaq demanded that the "reluctant to return to coaching" Pat Riley replace Stan Van Gundy, and that "miracle" occurred? Anyone see a parallel if the Dolphins are slow out of the gate, and the fans start pushing for a large Tuna to prowl the sidelines?

Anyone recall that Dave Wannstedt got the Dolphins to the playoffs with Jay Fiedler and Lamar Smith, after the "great" Jimmy Johnson, who'd campaigned shamelessly for Shula's job, bolted immediately follow a 62-7 loss so he wouldn't have to answer media questions. Teflon Johnson vanished to his boat for a long while after, so as to distance himself from the fiasco. This left Wannstedt to pick up the pieces, and he was doing ok until Ricky Williams refused to give up pot and, yet, the entire offense was built around Williams.

Here's the irony. Wanny was the fall guy, and at last look, Williams is STILL a member of the Dolphins. Of course, life isn't fair, especially in the NFL. Overall, the point is that Sparano, like Cameron, like Wanny, like Van Gundy, will have virtually no slack from media or fans, especially with Parcells "shopping for the groceries." His days of "cooking the meal" may not be over.

:) Really? I sure hope not for your sake.
I went to SU when Pasqualoni was the coach there. A season didn't go by that people weren't calling for his head. He would have been fired long ago had McNabb not bought him a few more years.I can say as a HC he was in way over his head. Don't know how good of an X's & O's guy he was for the D, but I don't remember our D ever being anything special under him.Let's just say as a Pats fan and SU alum, I'm really hoping Miami hires him.

:headbang: Really? I sure hope not for your sake.
The difference between Pees and Pasqualoni is that Pees is basically playing lieutenant to one of the smartest, most experience coaches in league history. He stands to the side of a guy who not only micro-manages, but does so brilliantly. Whereas Pasqualoni would be heading up a defense alongside a completely inexperienced head coach, whose experience is on offense.To me, that's a huge difference. Not saying Paul P can't/won't be good. I didn't like the McCarthy or Payton hires so WTH do I know? :thumbup:
Who would have a pretty good defensive mind in Parcells for in between game adjustments

I'm pretty sure this will turn into one large trade before draft day, informal or formal, its all the same at this point. SparanoLeeIrelandParcellsSome combo of Dallas picksforMiami's number #1 overall pick (which may be traded again somehow) aka some way to get McFaddenHands off on Jason Garrett (who might be gone anyway) Hands off on specific Dallas FAs not mentioned yet (maybe Marion Barber III) Hands off on other specific Dallas coaches
Please don't take this as an insult.....But this so far off and one of the ................... ............. ................!!!!!!!!!!

I'm pretty sure this will turn into one large trade before draft day, informal or formal, its all the same at this point. SparanoLeeIrelandParcellsSome combo of Dallas picksforMiami's number #1 overall pick (which may be traded again somehow) aka some way to get McFaddenHands off on Jason Garrett (who might be gone anyway) Hands off on specific Dallas FAs not mentioned yet (maybe Marion Barber III) Hands off on other specific Dallas coaches
Please don't take this as an insult.....But this so far off and one of the ................... ............. ................!!!!!!!!!!
It's not that far off and not the first time I've read about that scenario.It all started with Ireland. Jerry Jones was on record saying Ireland was under contract through the 2008 draft and that he wasn't going to let him out of it. He was concerned that all their draft work would just disappear to the Dolphins. Ireland is then suddenly hired by the Dolphins to begin working immediately. Jones was then quoted as saying he was "satisfied" with the entire situation. This is when the rumor started that they had worked out some sort of deal.But why would Miami draft McFadden? RB is the last position they need - Ronnie Brown - Ricky - Chatman - Booker - Gado. Why would Dallas trade up to #1 knowing Miami is not going to take McFadden?

I just don't get why teams are lining up to grab assistants from a team that has not won a playoff game in over a decade.

I just don't get why teams are lining up to grab assistants from a team that has not won a playoff game in over a decade.
Good question. I suppose it's because the Cowboys did have a solid regular season and now that they're out of the playoffs their assistants are fair game. Same thing is going on in Indy.

2 completed passes and Dallas would have won. Romo threw behind TO one one play that would have been a sure TD. Later, Crayton dropped a perfect pass that would have equated to huge yardage, possibly a score. If those 2 catches are made, Dallas would have won. Is that the fault of the assistant coaches? No. They put the players in place to make the plays, but on one, Romo blew it... on another, Crayton blew it. This coming from a diehard Giants fan. There is a huge element of luck and "the ball bouncing the right way" in football.

:lmao: Really? I sure hope not for your sake.
I went to SU when Pasqualoni was the coach there. A season didn't go by that people weren't calling for his head. He would have been fired long ago had McNabb not bought him a few more years.I can say as a HC he was in way over his head. Don't know how good of an X's & O's guy he was for the D, but I don't remember our D ever being anything special under him.Let's just say as a Pats fan and SU alum, I'm really hoping Miami hires him.
Goes to show how stupid Syracuse fans are. He had a much better record and bowl record than the guys before and after him at syracuse. He has one of the highest winning percentages in syracuse university history.

2 completed passes and Dallas would have won. Romo threw behind TO one one play that would have been a sure TD. Later, Crayton dropped a perfect pass that would have equated to huge yardage, possibly a score. If those 2 catches are made, Dallas would have won. Is that the fault of the assistant coaches? No. They put the players in place to make the plays, but on one, Romo blew it... on another, Crayton blew it. This coming from a diehard Giants fan. There is a huge element of luck and "the ball bouncing the right way" in football.
Sure a play here or there and it's a different game but most teams could use that excuse for every loss. The bottom line is good football teams find a way to win. The Pats are not 17-0 because the ball just happened to bounce their way 17 straight games.I don't have anything against Garrett or Sparano I just can't recall the last time I've ever seen this much raiding of a staff that has done literally nothing in the postseason.

Remember when Shaq demanded that the "reluctant to return to coaching" Pat Riley replace Stan Van Gundy, and that "miracle" occurred? Anyone see a parallel if the Dolphins are slow out of the gate, and the fans start pushing for a large Tuna to prowl the sidelines?
If you look back at our roundtable discussion for week 17, I make this exact point.But, I do not believe it would occur, if it does, until at least year 3. Parcells will give his guy a goodly amount of time to get his system in place. If they fail to make the playoffs in 2010, you could see Parcells either quit or take to the sideline.

Don't buy the hype about Dallas/McFadden. It wont happen. Highly unlikely that this team trades up in the first round. There are just too many holes in the secondary to be taking a RB in round 1 when you have a solid runner with Barber. This is also a deep RB class, so Dallas likely can get a complimentary RB to Barber (a 4th rounder) in the 3rd round this year.

It's not that far off and not the first time I've read about that scenario.It all started with Ireland. Jerry Jones was on record saying Ireland was under contract through the 2008 draft and that he wasn't going to let him out of it. He was concerned that all their draft work would just disappear to the Dolphins. Ireland is then suddenly hired by the Dolphins to begin working immediately. Jones was then quoted as saying he was "satisfied" with the entire situation. This is when the rumor started that they had worked out some sort of deal.But why would Miami draft McFadden? RB is the last position they need - Ronnie Brown - Ricky - Chatman - Booker - Gado. Why would Dallas trade up to #1 knowing Miami is not going to take McFadden?
They wouldn't - and Dallas' two 1sts are nowhere near enough for the #1 overall.It would take their two firsts this year, their first next year, and a few more picks before the 'phins pass up an opportunity to take Dorsey, McFadden or Jake Long. Now that I have some more background on Sparano, I would not be surprised if they went with Long instead of trading down (and i actually hope they do). That said, I do not see them using the pick on McFadden unless a trade is in place.

Don't buy the hype about Dallas/McFadden. It wont happen. Highly unlikely that this team trades up in the first round. There are just too many holes in the secondary to be taking a RB in round 1 when you have a solid runner with Barber. This is also a deep RB class, so Dallas likely can get a complimentary RB to Barber (a 4th rounder) in the 3rd round this year.
In general I agree that the hype surrounding Dallas going after Mcfadden is unfounded. Seems everyone is trying to tie this Arkansas angle between Jerry and Mcfadden despite the fact Jerry has never shown a propensity to stockpile ex-Hogs. However, I do believe Dallas might be interested if Mcfadden falls out of the top 5 which is a real possibility especially with the amount of quality RB's who have declared. Those teams selected at the top of the first round might feel they can acquire a RB in the top half of the second round and address other needs. In fact, barring a trade, the only team in the top 5 who I think would select Mcfadden is the Raiders. I strongly believe the Dolphins will trade their pick and whoever acquires it could mean the difference between Mcfadden going #1 overall or out of the top 5.

If you look back at our roundtable discussion for week 17, I make this exact point.But, I do not believe it would occur, if it does, until at least year 3. Parcells will give his guy a goodly amount of time to get his system in place. If they fail to make the playoffs in 2010, you could see Parcells either quit or take to the sideline.
Marc, I apologize for not seeing the roundtable discussion. Had a feeling someone had considered this scenario a while back. Thanks for the details on how it might play out.

No apology necessary - my comment was a "hey look at me" attempt to say :lmao:

I believe Parcells is liking the man pulling the strings role - he says he has no say on what goes on on the field and I say :lmao: He is in the perfect spot to take over in a couple of years and guide the team to a S.B. run, or else he will be hailed as the genius who put the team in place to go to the S.B. (assuming Sparano makes a real run in three years).

Let's not forget, Parcells LOVES turning teams around. He is a Gen'l Sherman slash and burn type of guy in the beginning. One thing I do know - he won't have a hands-on owner trying to shove a guy like T.O. down his throat. One thing I do know I'll miss - daily Parcells press conferences during the season. Best media guy - ever.

Users who are viewing this thread