What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Spencer Ware, possibly the new work horse (2 Viewers)

It's to bad JC is ahead of him. This guy could be really good if they rode him.
West is ahead of him too.
Not sure why this is necessarily true. West was only in because of an injury himself. It's not like he was an established starter.
It's very easy to spot the West owners in here. They're the ones pretending Ware isn't averaging 6.5 yards per carry and hoping Andy Reid hasn't notice either.
For the record, I own both and my fear is that Ware has earned a bigger role which will hurt both from a fantasy perspective. However if Reid was to go with a bell cow back (as he is wont to do), I'm fairly sure that back would be West - since he chose him originally for a reason and he was very effective during his time a starter. He's the better all around back and fits the KC system better.

YPC is somewhat of a flawed stat to begin with, but in such tremendously small sample sizes it's really not even close to meaningful as you're trying to make it seem.
It will be interesting to see how it shakes out. It could end up like the Forte/Langford situation.
Different scenario. Bears needs to see what Langford can do if/when they ditch Forte in the offseason. They also have similar running styles.

West/Ware are different kinds of runners. West has good vision and can actually cut in the open field. Ware is a runaway locomotive but his next cut will be his first. He loves to hand out the occasional truck.
I know they (Bears runners) are similar in style, but the Bears rotated series with them. Maybe the Chiefs will use West and Ware as a thunder and lightning combo. West best fits the style of Charles.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure why this is necessarily true. West was only in because of an injury himself. It's not like he was an established starter.
It's very easy to spot the West owners in here. They're the ones pretending Ware isn't averaging 6.5 yards per carry and hoping Andy Reid hasn't notice either.
For the record, I own both and my fear is that Ware has earned a bigger role which will hurt both from a fantasy perspective. However if Reid was to go with a bell cow back (as he is wont to do), I'm fairly sure that back would be West - since he chose him originally for a reason and he was very effective during his time a starter. He's the better all around back and fits the KC system better.

YPC is somewhat of a flawed stat to begin with, but in such tremendously small sample sizes it's really not even close to meaningful as you're trying to make it seem.
It will be interesting to see how it shakes out. It could end up like the Forte/Langford situation.
Different scenario. Bears needs to see what Langford can do if/when they ditch Forte in the offseason. They also have similar running styles.

West/Ware are different kinds of runners. West has good vision and can actually cut in the open field. Ware is a runaway locomotive but his next cut will be his first. He loves to hand out the occasional truck.
Even though it is running a little counter to what my gut says in how this will play out, this is the one aspect that makes me lean towards Ware. I have never ever heard a football coach or GM that has ever said they don't want/need to be more physical. This is the one aspect of football, especially at this time of the season and with the weather, that allows teams who have it to really take control. It is what has made teams like the Seahawks and Packers and Giants so successful in recent years. They play some physical football at the right time of the year and teams like the Falcons and Saints, Colts, etc don't want any part of it.

The Patriots are about the only team I can think of that has consistently been able to counter these teams that come in like this (but the Ravens, Jets, Steelers haven't made it easy).

JuniorNB said:
YPC can be a flawed stat if a guy breaks an 80 yard run and only has a handful of carries. He could have 19 straight carries with no gain and still have a 4.0 ypc, which is obviously misleading. In Ware's case, he doesn't have that super long run that skewing his stat line. He's been very consistent. He has 36 carries, not 10. I'm with you in that both guys have performed well and I think it might be a no win situation for the owners of both guys. They've both earned repetitions and are going to cut into each other's value.
Ware had a 52 yard run against the Chargers and a 35 yard run against the Bills. He has averaged 4.3 ypc on his other 34 carries. I'm not a believer in throwing out big plays, but these facts seem to contradict your claim here.

JuniorNB said:
Dr. Octopus said:
JuniorNB said:
Dr. Octopus said:
JuniorNB said:
T J said:
YPC can be a flawed stat if a guy breaks an 80 yard run and only has a handful of carries. He could have 19 straight carries with no gain and still have a 4.0 ypc, which is obviously misleading. In Ware's case, he doesn't have that super long run that skewing his stat line. He's been very consistent. He has 36 carries, not 10. I'm with you in that both guys have performed well and I think it might be a no win situation for the owners of both guys. They've both earned repetitions and are going to cut into each other's value.
Ware had a 52 yard run against the Chargers.
Is this a 'if you take away his big play' deal? The 52 yard run is even more of a testament to why he's going to remain relevant. He also has three 3-yard touchdown runs, which bring down his ypc. Even without the 52 yarder, he's at 5 ypc. Adrian Peterson is at 4.9. Todd Gurley 4.8.
No - it was germane to the point of the discussion: YPC becomes less relevant the smaller the sample sizes (plus you said he didn't have any big runs affecting his ypc):.

I'm not saying Ware is bad at all - just that a 52 yard run can affect ypc when a guy has less than 40 carries.

JuniorNB said:
Ware had a 52 yard run against the Chargers and a 35 yard run against the Bills. He has averaged 4.3 ypc on his other 34 carries. I'm not a believer in throwing out big plays, but these facts seem to contradict your claim here.
So out of 36 carries, you want to remove his longest two to figure out his yards per carry? That's 5.5% of his carries. Take away the longest 5.5% of Adrian Peterson's 237 carries. That would be his longest 13 carries. Then figure out his yards per carry for the rest. I bet it's lower than 4.3. It's only 4.9 with them all in there.

JuniorNB said:
Dr. Octopus said:
JuniorNB said:
Dr. Octopus said:
JuniorNB said:
T J said:
Ware had a 52 yard run against the Chargers.
Is this a 'if you take away his big play' deal? The 52 yard run is even more of a testament to why he's going to remain relevant. He also has three 3-yard touchdown runs, which bring down his ypc. Even without the 52 yarder, he's at 5 ypc. Adrian Peterson is at 4.9. Todd Gurley 4.8.
No - it was germane to the point of the discussion: YPC becomes less relevant the smaller the sample sizes (plus you said he didn't have any big runs affecting his ypc):.

I'm not saying Ware is bad at all - just that a 52 yard run can affect ypc when a guy has less than 40 carries.
I understand that. Take away his longest run and he's still over 5.0 ypc. Take away his second longest too, and he's still at 4.3 ypc. For reference, West is at 3.8 ypc. And that's allowing him the privileged of keeping his longest runs in there.

JuniorNB said:
So out of 36 carries, you want to remove his longest two to figure out his yards per carry? That's 5.5% of his carries. Take away the longest 5.5% of Adrian Peterson's 237 carries. That would be his longest 13 carries. Then figure out his yards per carry for the rest. I bet it's lower than 4.3. It's only 4.9 with them all in there.
Do you even read what you respond to or are you just looking to argue in order to argue?

JuniorNB said:
Do you even read what you respond to or are you just looking to argue in order to argue?
I read just fine. Just because nothing I'm posting indicates West is nearly as good running the ball, doesn't mean I'm not paying attention. I know you only bolded the parts that fit your agenda, but right after that, I said he has 36 carries, not 10. If he had that 52 yarder and only ten carries, it would skew his ypc a great deal. I said if you remove the 52 yarder, he's still at 5.0 yards per carry. Which is higher than Peterson and Gurley are averaging. In other words, he's earned carries going forward. With or without West being healthy. And that's all I've been saying all along. Are you arguing that statement? Or do you think it's right back to West being the every down back all game long?

JuniorNB said:
I posted these facts to refute your claim that "he doesn't have that super long run that skewing his stat line." That claim is factually incorrect.

ETA: If your point in posting that was really about West vs. Ware going forward, then make your points without posting incorrect statements. :shrug:

JuniorNB said:
I posted these facts to refute your claim that "he doesn't have that super long run that skewing his stat line." That claim is factually incorrect.

ETA: If your point in posting that was really about West vs. Ware going forward, then make your points without posting incorrect statements. :shrug:
I don't consider a 52 yard run with 36 carries to be misrepresenting his great yards per carry. That makes my statement factually correct. Without the 52 yarder, he's still averaging more per carry than Adrian Peterson, who is in the MVP talks.

ETA: My point is that Andy Reid isn't blind to these numbers and has been present at the games (where they're 2-0 by the way). That is very relevant to the West vs. Ware discussion.

JuniorNB said:

I don't consider a 52 yard run with 36 carries to be misrepresenting his great yards per carry. That makes my statement factually correct. Without the 52 yarder, he's still averaging more per carry than Adrian Peterson, who is in the MVP talks.ETA: My point is that Andy Reid isn't blind to these numbers and has been present at the games (where they're 2-0 by the way). That is very relevant to the West vs. Ware discussion.
A 52 yard run on only 36 carries increases his ypc almost 1.5 yards. This is significant. Where as an 80 yard run on 250 carries only increases ypc about a third of a yard

JuniorNB said:

I don't consider a 52 yard run with 36 carries to be misrepresenting his great yards per carry. That makes my statement factually correct. Without the 52 yarder, he's still averaging more per carry than Adrian Peterson, who is in the MVP talks.ETA: My point is that Andy Reid isn't blind to these numbers and has been present at the games (where they're 2-0 by the way). That is very relevant to the West vs. Ware discussion.
A 52 yard run on only 36 carries increases his ypc almost 1.5 yards. This is significant. Where as an 80 run on 250 carries only increases ypc about a third of a yard
That is correct. And I've stated such about a half dozen times. WITHOUT THE 52 YARD RUN, Ware is still averaging more than Adrian Peterson this year. Let's take the run out. I'll petition the league. Forget he had that run. Let's pretend it was purely luck and every back in the league could have gained just as much on that carry. He's still more than a yard per attempt better than West.

Why play the "take away" game at all? Let's add some runs instead. If you add 5 more 42 yard TDs, he's like the bestest player ever in history.

In my league scoring system, we take out every player's longest and shortest play each week. We had to hire an accountant to do our stats each week, but it's way better than your silly scoring systems, which actually account for big plays.

Sometimes my guy runs through a hole and after 6 or 7 yards I'm rooting for him to get tackled. "Damnit where's that safety!?" I only want just enough yardage. But not too much.

In my league scoring system, we take out every player's longest and shortest play each week. We had to hire an accountant to do our stats each week, but it's way better than your silly scoring systems, which actually account for big plays.

Sometimes my guy runs through a hole and after 6 or 7 yards I'm rooting for him to get tackled. "Damnit where's that safety!?" I only want just enough yardage. But not too much.
In fairness, if you take away Ware's best ten runs, West should probably be the starter.

Any chance for a break in the slapfight long enough to discuss status and anticipated workloads this weekend?

Any chance for a break in the slapfight long enough to discuss status and anticipated workloads this weekend?
I doubt we'll hear anything about West's status until Wednesday, but I anticipate him being good to go. There were reports that he was pushing hard to play on Sunday. As for usage, that's anyone's guess. My personal guess is that West will get the start. And then alternate series. Probably play on all the third and longs because of his receiving ability, with Ware getting the short yardage work. Again, that's 100% conjecture. I'll be watching with curiosity like the rest of us.

In fairness, if you take away Ware's best ten runs, West should probably be the starter.
No one wants to take away ANY of his runs. It was pointed out to you that ypc on such a small sample size (for both KC backs) doesn't mean all that much. You claimed that Ware didn't have any long runs to skew the ypc (the long run was only pointed out to correct this factual inaccuracy).

You are very hung up on ypc - when I'm guessing most NFL coaches are not. Especially when it's based on 30-40 carries. Comparing him to Peterson or other backs doesn't matter. It's not as significant of a factor as you want to make it out to be. It would be like some one pointing out West's incredible (for a RB) 14.2 yards per reception and saying "there's no way Reid can ignore that".

I've already said what I think will happen if both are healthy, but it's all really just a guess right now. I'm willing to bet that if both backs played a full season their ypc averages would end up a lot closer though. Ware is a very solid back, but he's not some elite talent (and neither is West).

I dont know what to think of West pushing hard to play this past Sunday other than hes a young back who got his shot and doesnt want to see the rug swept out from under him by another back. I dont know what to expect, both have pluses.

Ware is clearly goal line regardless, correct?
I'm not sure if anything is clear right now, but it wouldn't be surprising. Heck, Davis would get goal-line carries once in a while even when Charles was healthy. It could be Ware, getting them all or just a case of leaving whichever back was already out there in the game.

No one will know until the first game that West comes back. For those that own both, it would be much better if one of them just went away of course.

I would say you'll have to wait until the practice reports come out. Oakland is a weird defense. They stopped Ivory (he had a couple back to back bad games), but got destroyed by DWill and ADP for 370+ yards in 2 games. I think the Chiefs can run on them, so I think Ware should be a decent play. If West doesn't practice much then I think Ware is a great play, but I think he is still a good play even if West practices in full. If Ware plays well against Oak, then I think outside of week 15, he will be a great play the rest of the season. Oak, SD, Bal (worst match up), Oak and Cle (I have him in one week 17 league).

No one wants to take away ANY of his runs. It was pointed out to you that ypc on such a small sample size (for both KC backs) doesn't mean all that much. You claimed that Ware didn't have any long runs to skew the ypc (the long run was only pointed out to correct this factual inaccuracy).

You are very hung up on ypc - when I'm guessing most NFL coaches are not. Especially when it's based on 30-40 carries. Comparing him to Peterson or other backs doesn't matter. It's not as significant of a factor as you want to make it out to be. It would be like some one pointing out West's incredible (for a RB) 14.2 yards per reception and saying "there's no way Reid can ignore that".

I've already said what I think will happen if both are healthy, but it's all really just a guess right now. I'm willing to bet that if both backs played a full season their ypc averages would end up a lot closer though. Ware is a very solid back, but he's not some elite talent (and neither is West).
I actually agree with this too. And whenever I've discussed what I think the split will be, I've said I imagine West will receive most of the third down work because of his pas catching advantage.

Sounds like we agree on everything but you want to argue. Which is fine. If you haven't noticed, I enjoy that. As for comparing him to Peterson, I wasn't. I was using Peterson's ypc on the season to point out that Ware's is better even without the 52 yard run that you want to take away and are so obsessed about. For the record, I think Peterson is better. ;)

Why? West has been excellent at the GL.

Bottom line: no one save Andy Reid knows anything.
Ware is clearly the more powerful back, this isn't up for debate, I think. He has 25 pounds on West as well. 3rd and 1, I think Ware would obviously be the guy, no? Same from the 1 yard line...
Ware averages 6.5 yards per carry. A one yard plunge isn't even a challenge. :D

I actually agree with this too. And whenever I've discussed what I think the split will be, I've said I imagine West will receive most of the third down work because of his pas catching advantage.

Sounds like we agree on everything but you want to argue. Which is fine. If you haven't noticed, I enjoy that. As for comparing him to Peterson, I wasn't. I was using Peterson's ypc on the season to point out that Ware's is better even without the 52 yard run that you want to take away and are so obsessed about. For the record, I think Peterson is better. ;)
I don't like to argue, especially with certain people where it just doesn't seem fare. So I'll end this discussion that you can't seem to grasp.

Go Ware!!!!

I don't like to argue, especially with certain people where it just doesn't seem fare. So I'll end this discussion that you can't seem to grasp.

Go Ware!!!!
You mean the argument where we seem to agree on everything? Ok. Let's call it a draw. Go West/Ware split!

What do you mean by excellent? I just took a quick look. Inside the 5 yard line, he's done this:

Pitt - 4 carries, 4 yards. Got a 1 yard TD on his 3rd attempt from within the 3 yard line, 1 yard on each carry.

Det - No goal line carries, but did have an 8 yard TD. Thomas and Ware had 10 yard and 4 yard TD runs and Kelce got a 2 yard TD pass.

Den - 4 yard TD, Thomas in next series inside 10 yard line

SD - 0 yard carry at 1, followed by Poe 1 yard TD, no other GL activity. He did also have 3 carries for 0 yards at the 11/10 yard lines.

Ware on the other hand:

Det - 4 yard TD

SD - 3 yard TD, 3 yard TD after 1 yard carry at 4 yard line.

Buff - 3 yard TD

Not saying West has been bad, he's got 3 TDs from within the 10, but Ware has been excellent at the goal line with 4 TDs in 5 carries from the 3 or 4 yard line. The non-TD was followed by a TD run, so he was 4 for 4 in terms of opportunities. Again, West has been good in the red zone, but not excellent.

Note, I just looked at the games where West had TDs, so he may have other carries inside the 5, which obviously weren't for scores. I looked at all of Ware's games.

Ware is clearly the more powerful back, this isn't up for debate, I think. He has 25 pounds on West as well. 3rd and 1, I think Ware would obviously be the guy, no? Same from the 1 yard line...
That would make Ware the more traditional (logical) candidate, but Charles wasn't really pulled at the goal-line and West is the same size as him.

What do you mean by excellent? I just took a quick look. Inside the 5 yard line, he's done this:

Pitt - 4 carries, 4 yards. Got a 1 yard TD on his 3rd attempt from within the 3 yard line, 1 yard on each carry.

Det - No goal line carries, but did have an 8 yard TD. Thomas and Ware had 10 yard and 4 yard TD runs and Kelce got a 2 yard TD pass.

SD - 0 yard carry at 1, followed by Poe 1 yard TD, no other GL activity. He did also have 3 carries for 0 yards at the 11/10 yard lines.

Ware on the other hand:

Det - 4 yard TD

Buff - 3 yard TD

Not saying West has been bad, he's got 3 TDs from within the 10, but Ware has been excellent at the goal line with 4 TDs in 5 carries from the 3 or 4 yard line. The non-TD was followed by a TD run, so he was 4 for 4 in terms of opportunities. Again, West has been good in the red zone, but not excellent.

Note, I just looked at the games where West had TDs, so he may have other carries inside the 5, which obviously weren't for scores. I looked at all of Ware's games.
Great research. I was wondering if West was good at short yardage. There used to be a website that have short yardage information in a nice table format. Can't remember what it was though.

Ware on the other hand:

Det - 4 yard TD

Buff - 3 yard TD

So, 75% of drives within the 10 he's played, he's scored a TD. I'd call that excellent. Ware is 4/4 which is outstanding but it's not like West keeps getting denied or not even playing once it gets close. Again, we're back where we started.

So, 75% of drives within the 10 he's played, he's scored a TD. I'd call that excellent. Ware is 4/4 which is outstanding but it's not like West keeps getting denied or not even playing once it gets close. Again, we're back where we started.
West has 40% success rate from inside the 5 (2 for 5)

Ware has 80% success rate from inside the 5 (4 for 5)

I would hardly call a 40% goal line conversion rate "excellent". Ware has been exactly twice as efficient in the same sample size.

I would hardly call a 40% goal line conversion rate "excellent". Ware has been exactly twice as efficient in the same sample size.
Semantics. Sometimes it's takes him a try or two to get in but the fact is, he gets in.

Semantics. Sometimes it's takes him a try or two to get in but the fact is, he gets in.
If you're assuming you're always 1st and goal from the 3, I suppose you're right. The reality is, that's rarely the case.

If you're trying to knock a hole in a wall, would you use a ball peen hammer or a sledge?

Not true. He admitted that he only included the drives where Kansas City scored a touchdown inside the five. The ones where West came up short and the Chiefs settled for a field goal, aren't there.

Not true. He admitted that he only included the drives where Kansas City scored a touchdown inside the five. The ones where West came up short and the Chiefs settled for a field goal, aren't there.
Are there any? I honestly don't know. Or, what about when Charles was playing? Why wasn't Ware pounding them in when JC was starting? How about the opponent... 80% against SD and a Williams/Williams-less Buffalo front isn't exactly stiff opposition. Pittsburgh and Denver are considerably stouter.

Fact is none of us know usage moving forward but round and round we'll go. I guess it makes the day go quicker.

Are there any? I honestly don't know. Or, what about when Charles was playing? Why wasn't Ware pounding them in when JC was starting? How about the opponent... 80% against SD and a Williams/Williams-less Buffalo front isn't exactly stiff opposition. Pittsburgh and Denver are considerably stouter.

Fact is none of us know usage moving forward but round and round we'll go. I guess it makes the day go quicker.
I don't know the answer to whether there were instances where West had carries inside the five and the Chiefs had to settle for a field goal. The only way I'd know to find out is to go through every game log and look at each drive chart. I don't care enough to put that much effort into it.

And you're 100% right about the second part. We'll know Sunday. Unless Reid comes out and says something earlier. Although I'm not sure what the point of that would be. If we don't know, Oakland doesn't know.

Ware on the other hand:

Det - 4 yard TD

Buff - 3 yard TD

Not quite, West was 3 for 6 (Poe scored after West didn't get in), Ware is 4 for 4. Also, West did lose GL/TD carries on drives to Poe, Ware and Thomas. I don't know all the game situations and again West has been fine in the red zone, no doubt about it. Ware has been money though, getting into the end zone on 1 attempt 3 times from the 3 or 4 yard line and in 2 attempts 1 time from the 4 yard line.

It is a small sample size, but Ware has been more effective at the GL without a doubt.

* where I differ with Icon is that I gave West credit for scoring from the 8 yard line on one drive as a 1 for 1 opportunity.

Well, I do have a dog in this fight and I hope Ware gets every single carry and reception, and extra points, and kickoff return, and passing TD, and everything else and West gets nothing, nada, nil, zilch.

Well, I do have a dog in this fight and I hope Ware gets every single carry and reception, and extra points, and kickoff return, and passing TD, and everything else and West gets nothing, nada, nil, zilch.
Exactly the opposite for me. I for one think West was ahead of Ware on the depth chart for a reason, and he was the unquestioned guy until the hammy. My gut says he gets the bulk of the work when returning healthy. Ware will get his though, including some goal line work.

Exactly the opposite for me. I for one think West was ahead of Ware on the depth chart for a reason, and he was the unquestioned guy until the hammy. My gut says he gets the bulk of the work when returning healthy. Ware will get his though, including some goal line work.
I agree.

I see a 60/40 split IF West returns fully healthy.... dragging both players down to mid-level RB2 territory.

Users who are viewing this thread