What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Sproles (1 Viewer)

Sproles looked great in this game. He's very short, but he's built stout.

He'll be a free agent this offseason and I think he could assume a Warrick Dunn type role for someone next year.

He's definitely a more dynamic talent than Hester. That said, I would still expect a RBBC if LT is sidelined.
Given the LT2 hysteria I'm surprised we aren't seeing more talk about Hester.
I am not a believer.. however, EVEN in my dynasty league, i have some idea of a succession plan.. and would think NFL teams would be much more involved in making sure, they have some level of insurance for the "best player ever" going forward.. the let Turner go.. maybe a mistake, but to me indicative of their faith in one of these two, Hester or Sproles, to quite possibly, pick up where LT leaves off....
I don't think you can say SanDiego "let Turner go"... he was OUT... he wanted to start. I don't think they could've offered him enough money to back up Tomlinson for another 2+ years... he wanted carries.
Sorry. My thought. Wasn't complete. Common mistake of mine. I also feel that SD should have taken advantage of LTs fame and tried to move him, similar to how the colts let edge go before they won a super bowl. I believe turner is more than adequate to be an every down back. And with whatever SD got for LT would have made them that much better this year. And yes you do trade the MVP if it makes your squad better.
Indy let Edge walk as a FA because they had already paid Manning & Harrison. It's not like they traded him for a 2nd round draft choice. Tomlinson is under contract, and NFL teams generally don't give up high draft choices for high-priced RBs closing in on 30.

What are everyone's thoughts on Sproles after week 4? I had him on a team (do not have LT though) and dropped him for Bulger who was just dropped. I figure I don't want to waste the space as I do not have LT; I would only have him hoping LT gets injured. I would rather bet on Bulger doing well than on LT getting hurt.

What are everyone's thoughts on Sproles after week 4? I had him on a team (do not have LT though) and dropped him for Bulger who was just dropped. I figure I don't want to waste the space as I do not have LT; I would only have him hoping LT gets injured. I would rather bet on Bulger doing well than on LT getting hurt.
Depends on your league settings. In leagues that award any points at all for return yards he's at least a viable bye week filler. Started him last week with Westbrook down and didnt want to start McClain. even at 1pt/30yds he still netted 8pts (1pt rush, 5 pts return, 2pt conversion) this week on 2 carries for 12 yds and 1 catch for 6yds (non-PPR). I dont see SD limiting his touches as much even with LT healthy, the model around the league shows that a 1-2 punch works (BUF is doing the same with Fred Jackson), and Sproles is electric whenever he touches the ball.

LT owner in another league than my sig, and my bye weeks are coming up. sproles will be the first to be released when i need bye week fillers, and then i will likely use his roster spot after the bye weeks to get ryan torain or someone like that.

Everyone still holding onto Sproles in redraft? Seems like his value is slipping.
Gave up on the potential and dropped him for MeMoore. He was then promptly picked up by another owner whom dropped Fred Taylor. I feel like if SD is playing LT at his current state, there is not much value in holding Sproles.

If McFadden, Stewart, Washington, Norwood, and LenDale can be viable fantasy starts against the Chiefs, so can Sproles. Get him in the line-up week 10.

Not a Sproles owner but if you're looking for a sneaky RB3 play in larger leagues this week, Sproles could be the guy. The Chiefs have all sorts of trouble stopping the run but especially with speed backs. I could see Sproles doing some damage even if his touches are limited. If the Chargers build a big lead and LT rests in the fourth he could be huge.

Pretty sure the torch was passed. We're in a new era in San Diego.
That may be the case. But the torch isn't being passed, the Doctor is sedating LT to work on an injury and then prying it away from his hand and handing it to Sproles but as soon as LT is healthy enough he gets it back for as long as he can keep from getting sedated again. Basically, because LT is, well, LT he's always going to get the torch back when healthy. He's like the president when he goes under anesthesia. He transfers power to the VP but then gets it back when coherent. The real question comes this offseason. What is LT's contract status? Would it behoove the Chargers to cut bait and go with the kid? What is Sproles' contract status?I mean can they cut one of their greatest players in their history after a down year? He was still pretty good two years ago - 300+ carries for just under 2K combines yards and a 4.7 YPC? I don't see LT going anywhere. I see him being reigned in a bit. Maybe a 66%/33% spit between him and Sproles to keep him healthy. Limit his touches to say 200-220. Give the rest to Sproles. LT brings a lot more to the table than just ability on the field. He sells jerseys and puts people in the seats.That being said, I wish he would stop trying to compete with Peyton on endorsement deals. I always worry about guys that do too many endorsements. Seems like their minds are somewhere else and they don't seem to do the prep work needed to perform at a high level. Either that or they know their time in the sun is soon to be over so they cash in while they can....

I don't think the torch is passed. At best they light it at both ends and give both LT and Sproles a piece.

After the game, it was reported that Sproles looked like he had been in a heavyweight fight. Some of that is probably exageration but I think Sproles is too small to carry a full season 20 touch load. For some of the Westbrook comparisons he was drawing during the game, he's even smaller than Westbrook and look at what Westbrook owners have to deal with every year.

While I expect LT to decline, I think this season was more injury related than mileage or age related. I think LT is capable of pulling off a Curtis Martin-esque late career resurgence for a season or so.

I'd pay attention to his offseason health. If he's fully healthy next season, I think you end up with him still getting 20+ touches with Sproles chipping in for the balance. But if he isn't back to his normal health, I can see a full on RBBC.

BTW, if LT comes into minicamp and training camp talking about how he's in the best shape of his life...he'll be on IR before you know it. I'm superstitious about that one for sure. :lmao:

I don't think the torch is passed. At best they light it at both ends and give both LT and Sproles a piece.After the game, it was reported that Sproles looked like he had been in a heavyweight fight. Some of that is probably exageration but I think Sproles is too small to carry a full season 20 touch load. For some of the Westbrook comparisons he was drawing during the game, he's even smaller than Westbrook and look at what Westbrook owners have to deal with every year.While I expect LT to decline, I think this season was more injury related than mileage or age related. I think LT is capable of pulling off a Curtis Martin-esque late career resurgence for a season or so. I'd pay attention to his offseason health. If he's fully healthy next season, I think you end up with him still getting 20+ touches with Sproles chipping in for the balance. But if he isn't back to his normal health, I can see a full on RBBC.BTW, if LT comes into minicamp and training camp talking about how he's in the best shape of his life...he'll be on IR before you know it. I'm superstitious about that one for sure. :goodposting:
Your comparison to Curtis martin is an interesting one...While LT2 was more athletic than Curtis, the one reason I believe Curtis was able to have a good end to his career was his incredible vision. I believe LT2 has this great vision and also has an incredible nose for the end zone. the nagging types of injuries seem to be getting to him though and he needs to stay healthy.

Figured this thread needed to be bumped with drafts popping off. If LT goes down, say hello to first round production.

I've been around this block twice now. Looking for something. A clue. I've been looking for clues and something led me back here. Yeah. So here I am. It could have been me, the one who was at Qualcomm when the #### went down. Hey. I know how it is. I've been there. We've all had bad games. We've all had those feelings. I'm going to take your brain out of your head and wash it and scrub it and make it clean. I don't know. But I'm going to have to settle this. So I'm going to be nice. I'm going to ask you one more time. Where the #### is SPROLES?

I've been around this block twice now. Looking for something. A clue. I've been looking for clues and something led me back here. Yeah. So here I am. It could have been me, the one who was at Qualcomm when the #### went down. Hey. I know how it is. I've been there. We've all had bad games. We've all had those feelings. I'm going to take your brain out of your head and wash it and scrub it and make it clean. I don't know. But I'm going to have to settle this. So I'm going to be nice. I'm going to ask you one more time. Where the #### is SPROLES?
He's a big, bright, shining star. That's right.

Even with fantasy experts nationwide putting LT at #1 many others predicted a huge drop this year. I think this goes beyond the toe. Sproles may be small but he's spry. He's obviously not a bruising back, but with LT and his bad toe coming in situational I think he could do some serious damage. He's electric. What can we expect going forward?
For him to continue being spry, electric, and...a backup.HTH
Yeah Sproles gets hurt being a backup. 20 carries back to back he'd fall apart, forever.
I still think this is the case with Sproles. I had to wonder if he got a head injury the way he was constantly bobbling kickoffs. He looked fine on that last drive but I don't recall him ever being that clumsy hauling in kickoffs/punts.

Not sure how it will play out yet but after Monday night I came away with one thought.

It looked like Sproles was in a video game being controlled by a joystick rather than a live NFL game, sick quicks.

Is Sproles (5'7" 185) really all that different from Warrick Dunn (5'9" 180)? Seems to me he's actually built better to withstand the punishment than Dunn was. Lower to the ground and thicker in the legs and hips.

Dunn had 3 years in a row where he carried the vast amount of touches, and five in his career.

2000 248 rushes/ 44receptions

2002 230/50

2004 265/29

2005 280/29

2006 286/22

If Sproles get anywhere near those touches he's gonna be a RB1 this year. I'm not saying its gonna happen. I just think he might be underrated here due to his height.

Indy let Edge walk as a FA because they had already paid Manning & Harrison. It's not like they traded him for a 2nd round draft choice. Tomlinson is under contract, and NFL teams generally don't give up high draft choices for high-priced RBs closing in on 30.
two years ago they couldve fleeced Daniel snyder/al davis (when turner was a FA) Now the time has all but passed.

Last edited by a moderator:
:lmao:reverse that ASAP while u still can

:doh:reverse that ASAP while u still can
Prolly too late huh :whoosh:

Is Sproles (5'7" 185) really all that different from Warrick Dunn (5'9" 180)? Seems to me he's actually built better to withstand the punishment than Dunn was. Lower to the ground and thicker in the legs and hips. Dunn had 3 years in a row where he carried the vast amount of touches, and five in his career.2000 248 rushes/ 44receptions 2002 230/502004 265/292005 280/292006 286/22If Sproles get anywhere near those touches he's gonna be a RB1 this year. I'm not saying its gonna happen. I just think he might be underrated here due to his height.
That and kinda like a former Lion who wore #20 he is so low to the ground and quick that D's rarely get good wallops on him. Seems to prolong the shelf life a bit.

Is Sproles (5'7" 185) really all that different from Warrick Dunn (5'9" 180)? Seems to me he's actually built better to withstand the punishment than Dunn was. Lower to the ground and thicker in the legs and hips. Dunn had 3 years in a row where he carried the vast amount of touches, and five in his career.2000 248 rushes/ 44receptions 2002 230/502004 265/292005 280/292006 286/22If Sproles get anywhere near those touches he's gonna be a RB1 this year. I'm not saying its gonna happen. I just think he might be underrated here due to his height.
That and kinda like a former Lion who wore #20 he is so low to the ground and quick that D's rarely get good wallops on him. Seems to prolong the shelf life a bit.
Some voices of reason here. Not every feature back has to be 5'11" 220 lbs to be effective. Dunn and Barber are just two of the most recent guys who people initially dismissed as being too small to carry a full load until their coaches finally realized that they couldn't keep them off the field. Sproles may be another one.

Users who are viewing this thread