What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Stafford going forward... (1 Viewer)

So you guys think QB5 is a bad thing? He has had ONE bad game. And it wasn't even terrible, it was "only" 180 yards, 1 TD and 0 INT's. He has a 4:1 TD/INT ratio and this was the first week he didn't break 200 yards AND throw 2 TD's. Stafford was QB14 this week ahead of guys like Freeman, Cutler, Rivers, Flacco & Hasselbeck. He still has CJ to throw to each week.Here is the remaining schedule and where each defense ranks in terms of fantasy points allowed to QB's (#1 being most points allowed):8 DEN - #19 bye10 CHI - #911 CAR - #1912 GBP - #713 NOS - #1114 MIN - #1315 OAK - #1016 SDC - #20Looks like a fairly easy schedule with no games against elite pass defenses.
:goodposting: People are just upset their top 5 QB is starting to only play like a top 10 QB even though they drafted in the 9th round or later :confused:
I'm sure a lot of people either traded away their QB1 to roll with Stafford after 4 weeks or so, or paid a nice sum to get Stafford. Either way, if I was in a situation where say weeks 5-7 were my first three weeks starting Stafford, the 3 and 4 TD games are a distant memory, the running game is in shambles, and now he's day to day with an injury, yes, I'd be concerned.
Yeah I traded away Big Ben

So you guys think QB5 is a bad thing? He has had ONE bad game. And it wasn't even terrible, it was "only" 180 yards, 1 TD and 0 INT's. He has a 4:1 TD/INT ratio and this was the first week he didn't break 200 yards AND throw 2 TD's. Stafford was QB14 this week ahead of guys like Freeman, Cutler, Rivers, Flacco & Hasselbeck. He still has CJ to throw to each week.Here is the remaining schedule and where each defense ranks in terms of fantasy points allowed to QB's (#1 being most points allowed):8 DEN - #19 bye10 CHI - #911 CAR - #1912 GBP - #713 NOS - #1114 MIN - #1315 OAK - #1016 SDC - #20Looks like a fairly easy schedule with no games against elite pass defenses.
:goodposting: People are just upset their top 5 QB is starting to only play like a top 10 QB even though they drafted in the 9th round or later :confused:
I'm sure a lot of people either traded away their QB1 to roll with Stafford after 4 weeks or so, or paid a nice sum to get Stafford. Either way, if I was in a situation where say weeks 5-7 were my first three weeks starting Stafford, the 3 and 4 TD games are a distant memory, the running game is in shambles, and now he's day to day with an injury, yes, I'd be concerned.
Yeah I traded away Big Ben
Traded Steve smith after his monster week 1 performance for stafford and Ingram.

Just need him this week to cover a bye...of course, its right before this week that he comes up limping.

At this point I'd chalk it up to good defense (SF and ATL). If he struggles against DEN and CHI after the bye I'll be concerned.

At this point I'd chalk it up to good defense (SF and ATL). If he struggles against DEN and CHI after the bye I'll be concerned.
Falcons D was 24th vs. the pass- they had a decent amount of sacks going into the game, but the secondary was considered a weak point.

'bonesman said:
More than the ankle sprain. Stafford needs to find someone other than Pettigrew on every 3rd down. Stafford is just dialed in on him and Pettigrew just drops too many passes. Detroit has too many 3 and outs to be an elite team and I don't have any confidence on the offense to even get to a FG range at the end of close games. And this was with Best in the game so let's not say it's because of the running game...
I've noticed this with Pettigrew as well. Have a hard time watching him target Pettigrew so often in the endzone as well...the guy just drops it way too much and it seems that Stafford locks into him and doesn't even look at CJ.
The guy with 10 TDs through seven games? :rolleyes:
I'm talking about 3rd downs here. Mainly because CJ is double teamed but instead of Pettigrew 90% of the time, he has other viable options...

'shadyridr said:
'Jayrod said:
Not mad, I actually want Detroit to do well but they have issues with their offense. And since the QB is the engine that runs the offense, I'm just concerned for the rest of the season.

'bonesman said:
More than the ankle sprain. Stafford needs to find someone other than Pettigrew on every 3rd down. Stafford is just dialed in on him and Pettigrew just drops too many passes. Detroit has too many 3 and outs to be an elite team and I don't have any confidence on the offense to even get to a FG range at the end of close games. And this was with Best in the game so let's not say it's because of the running game...
I've noticed this with Pettigrew as well. Have a hard time watching him target Pettigrew so often in the endzone as well...the guy just drops it way too much and it seems that Stafford locks into him and doesn't even look at CJ.
The guy with 10 TDs through seven games? :rolleyes:
I realize that, but I actually had to check out that stat during a game, because it seems every time I'm watching the Lions I see him drop easy TD passes.

I know the injury doesn't appear significant, but if it is indeed a high ankle sprain and he is still in a walking boot, you have to put the odds of them holding him out until after the BYE fairly high. Playing at Mile High won't help the healing process either this week. I doubt he makes the trip.

Coming from a Stafford owner, I'm pretty nervous about the 2nd half of the season. I'm a huge 1 QB guy but I'm definitely scouring the waiver wire for Plan B. You don't have to go far back to see this trend. Young quarterbacks having amazing success early in the season and then suddenly struggling in the 2nd half. Happened to Grossman that one year, Flacco this year, I'm sure there's way more that I can't think of at the moment.

Whether he's struggling or not, it's clear the team is hurting without Best and it's exposing their Oline. Although I'm sure Stafford is better than what most of us can find on the waiver wire, I don't feel as confident running with 1 QB as I did a couple weeks ago.

Matthew Stafford said Tuesday that his ankle sprain is in a "weird spot."

"We're treating it, doing the best we can," said Stafford, "trying to get it as healthy as possible for a chance to play this week." That's not nearly as optimistic as coach Jim Schwartz's outlook on Monday. Stafford's comments taken together with a PFT report that a second opinion was sought leave us to believe he's questionable for this week's game against the Broncos. Stafford owners should have Shaun Hill at the ready just in case.

Source: Dave Birkett on Twitter Oct 25 - 5:49 PM
Not really sure what they mean by "weird spot" but its not going to make me sleep any easier.

Matthew Stafford said Tuesday that his ankle sprain is in a "weird spot."

"We're treating it, doing the best we can," said Stafford, "trying to get it as healthy as possible for a chance to play this week." That's not nearly as optimistic as coach Jim Schwartz's outlook on Monday. Stafford's comments taken together with a PFT report that a second opinion was sought leave us to believe he's questionable for this week's game against the Broncos. Stafford owners should have Shaun Hill at the ready just in case.

Source: Dave Birkett on Twitter Oct 25 - 5:49 PM
Not really sure what they mean by "weird spot" but its not going to make me sleep any easier.
After coming off two back-to-back losses - Stafford is going to be in there. The sense of urgency is there.

Falcons D was 24th vs. the pass- they had a decent amount of sacks going into the game, but the secondary was considered a weak point.
Are we talkin passing yds allowed or Fantasy points allowed? For my leagues scoring ATl is currently 10th worst against QB fantasy points allowed almost 17.7 pts per game. before this game fantasy pts allowed to QB was around 6-8 i thought cant find a week by week stat sheet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are we talkin passing yds allowed or Fantasy points allowed? For my leagues scoring ATl is currently 10th worst against QB fantasy points allowed almost 17.7 pts per game. before this game fantasy pts allowed to QB was around 6-8 i thought cant find a week by week stat sheet.
I play 6 point passing TD, -1 Int, and going into week 7 the Falcons were giving up 25 points/week on average based on:
Code:
Jay Cutler  	  26.60Michael Vick  	  23.60Josh Freeman  	  16.50Tarvaris Jackson  33.55Aaron Rodgers     31.70Cam Newton        19.55
25 points a week is basically QB6-7 numbers in this scoring. So it certainly looked like a favorable matchup for Stafford. With 15.15 points Stafford ended up being the lowest scoring QB vs. the Falcons to date.

Chris McCosky reporting on Twitter that Shaun Hill is taking 1st team reps today at practice.

link
I think Detroit can beat Denver with Shaun Hill, giving Stafford 2 weeks to get healthy. It seems like a decent plan. This game is on the defense to step up and beat the crap out of Tebow I'm guessing.

ETA: As a Calvin owner, it wouldn't effect my decision on starting him at all. Hill is decent and has no problem with throwing it up to Calvin, as evidenced in his play last year.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone wanna guess how hill does behind that oline? Maybe they go conservative and let their defense win it for them. Id still play calvin

Stafford owner here (all 3 leagues) that has rostered Hill and will start him with confidence if needed.

Shaun Hill won't win a matchup against Rodgers or Brady or Brees, but I think, in this offense, he can put up fantasy points in line with Roethlisberger, Eli, Rovers, Romo, and Schaub this year.

I'm actually hoping they rest Stafford this week to get him healthy for the second half. Poor guy isn't used to so much action in a season :X

there's conflicting reports here cause CBS is reporting Stafford in deed did do some light practice today. I still dont see how Stafford sits out this week. Shaun Hill getting 1st team reps is probably a precaution at this point but its a good sign to see Stafford out there practicing.

Lot of folks in town suspecting DET will play it safe and sit Stafford. Smart play. I still think Hill has a decent day against the bad Broncos secondary. Pettigrew and Burleson should have nice days.

ALLEN PARK, Mich. -- Detroit quarterback Matthew Stafford is able to practice following his right ankle injury last weekend, although backup Shaun Hill took some snaps with the first team Wednesday.Stafford was hurt toward the end of last weekend's 23-16 loss to the Atlanta Falcons. Coach Jim Schwartz said Monday he was day to day as the team began preparing for Sunday's game at Denver.Stafford was on the field with his helmet on and his footwork looked fine as he participated in throwing drills Wednesday, although he wasn't required to move around much during the portion of practice open to reporters. He was able to jog in short stretches.He played in only three games last season because of shoulder problems, but Stafford got off to a brilliant start this season.

ALLEN PARK, Mich. -- Detroit quarterback Matthew Stafford is able to practice following his right ankle injury last weekend, although backup Shaun Hill took some snaps with the first team Wednesday.Stafford was hurt toward the end of last weekend's 23-16 loss to the Atlanta Falcons. Coach Jim Schwartz said Monday he was day to day as the team began preparing for Sunday's game at Denver.Stafford was on the field with his helmet on and his footwork looked fine as he participated in throwing drills Wednesday, although he wasn't required to move around much during the portion of practice open to reporters. He was able to jog in short stretches.He played in only three games last season because of shoulder problems, but Stafford got off to a brilliant start this season.
exactly, people are over reacting here. sitting Stafford is NOT the safe play. He's the leader of this team and needs to prove hes durable for the position. They have an easy team on schedule with Denver and having him suit up and play against that team would boost the morale and get the team back on track. This is more in line with natural bumps and bruises mandated to the position, not a dislocation of the shoulder.

Lot of folks in town suspecting DET will play it safe and sit Stafford. Smart play. I still think Hill has a decent day against the bad Broncos secondary. Pettigrew and Burleson should have nice days.
I don't see how this is a smart play. Just loss two in a row and it was obvious they are missing Best. Missing Best & Stafford has disaster written all over it. I would tell the folks in town that they need to get a better sense of urgency - not play it safe.

'Hendo said:
The smart play is to play him, this injury does not at all seem serious.
Lesser QBs would be out, but Staff is an iron man. :D
lol, point taken... point is for this kid to start making a reputation of being dependable. Separated shoulders are one thing but from reports this isn't even a HAS(something Favre would play through)not only that the team is coming off two loses in their house and morale is definitely down on the team. He needs to step up and this is the time.

Scooped up hill just in case
Surprised that he's even out there. I've been burned by Stafford's injuries too many times to not back him up with Hill in the draft. I guess I thought everyone would since it seems like the guy is made of glass.

Users who are viewing this thread