What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

States with no NFL teams. (2 Viewers)

I live in Idaho. Other than undergrad and grad school in Utah and Nebraska respectively, I have my whole life. (Explains a lot I know)I've rooted for the Steelers since I was 8 years old. Passionately.Couldn't care less about regional college. Utah, BYU, Boise St. etc. It's cool to see them win, but I bleed black and gold.
you live in Idaho and you dont care about Boise State! :confused:
What would you expect from a Steelers fan?Edited to add: :banned:

Last edited by a moderator:
Born and raised in Wyoming. TONS of Bronco fans in Wyoming, by far the most represented for sure. Growing up in Sheridan, Northern Wyoming, there was a lot of Vikings love. Some weird connection.I then lived 12 years in Oregon and didn't see any commitment to any teams really. There is a deep hatred of all things Washington and California, so everyone is just a Ducks or a Beavers fan. The latter just need help really.Me personally, Phins fan since I was knee-high to a grasshopper. Don't ask.
Late to the topic, I scrolled down and scanned for Oregon... I lived in Portland for 10 years and I couldn't agree more.There's a hint of Seattle love and some remnants of Niners '80's nostalgia, but by and large it's Pac-10 territory first and foremost. Most NFL fans I met were transplants, following their teams each week at the sports bars. But to be fair it's basketball country, which you can't say about alot of states.And I share your irrational love for a team which hails from a city I've never set foot in. Grew up in Virginia and rebelled against the Skins as a mere tot by allying with the Phins. Something about the animal and the orange and blue pretty uni's I think. Never looked back!

Virginia - BY FAR the most populated state without a professional sports franchise... :(

As others have said, it's all Skins country. I did notice a Falcons presence in southwest Virginia when I visited in the early-mid 90s. However with all the transplants in northern Virginia, you can easily find some like-minded fans to watch games with. There are Steeler bars, Packer bars, Cowboys, Eagles, Giants, even Saints.

I live in Idaho. Other than undergrad and grad school in Utah and Nebraska respectively, I have my whole life. (Explains a lot I know)I've rooted for the Steelers since I was 8 years old. Passionately.Couldn't care less about regional college. Utah, BYU, Boise St. etc. It's cool to see them win, but I bleed black and gold.
you live in Idaho and you dont care about Boise State! :)
What would you expect from a Steelers fan?Edited to add: :shrug:
Love it.College football is a great way to pass a Saturday. Generates zero emotion for me. (BSU vs Oklahoma may be the exception. Greatest game evah!)For me college ball is simply the minor league for the NFL. I watch to see the prospects not the teams.

I know some people from Alabama, Tennessee (before the Titans), and South Carolina (before the Panthers) used to root for the Falcons, mainly because it was the regional team.

Born and raised in Wyoming. TONS of Bronco fans in Wyoming, by far the most represented for sure. Growing up in Sheridan, Northern Wyoming, there was a lot of Vikings love. Some weird connection.I then lived 12 years in Oregon and didn't see any commitment to any teams really. There is a deep hatred of all things Washington and California, so everyone is just a Ducks or a Beavers fan. The latter just need help really.Me personally, Phins fan since I was knee-high to a grasshopper. Don't ask.
SE Wyoming is Bronco country for sure. It wouldn't surprise me though if northern WY leans another direction - Seahawks, or one of the CA teams in the NW quadrant and NE WY swayed towards Vikings. No idea what they do in SW WY - that's practically Utah, and I have no idea what goes on in that state.

The Redskins still have a big following in Raleigh even though the Panthers have been around for a while

One of the local AM stations broadcast every Redskins game, often going head to head against the Panthers broadcast

If for some reason the Panthers are not on FOX (Monday night or hosting an AFC team) then FOX will show the Redskins

Thank goodness for DirecTv

I live in Iowa. No, really, don't hang up. It wasn't my first choice, but oh well. It's pretty cool how much NFL diversity there is here. Most local newspapers will cover the local team, e.g., The Chicago Tribune spends a lot of time on the Bears, etc. Here, the news covers the Bears, Vikings, Packers, Chiefs, and Rams. It seems like there are few Broncos fans, too. And of course there are always Cowboys, Steelers, and Raiders fans everywhere. Depending on who's doing well, you'll see more of one team's supporters over another. Overall, I'd say it goes Vikings, Bears, Chiefs, Packers, Rams here in Des Moines, but that's just anecdotal. They did a survey on this subject a few years ago, but I don't remember the results and I don't feel like looking it up at 12:30 AM. Of course, there are more Vikings fans in the north, Chiefs fans in the south, and Bears and Packers fans in the east.

College footbal is big for a lot of people, but I couldn't care less about the stupid Hawkeyes or Cyclones (I'm originally from IL). I think of college football as the NFL's minor leagues.
I grew up in Des Moines so :rolleyes: College football pales in comparison to the NFL in Iowa. Sure there are some big fans of the Hawkeyes or even Cyclones, but in general it's the NFL people are into. And you're right about all the teams followed there - all the surrounding teams are popular and of course the historically good teams are as well.

Virginia - BY FAR the most populated state without a professional sports franchise... :rolleyes: As others have said, it's all Skins country. I did notice a Falcons presence in southwest Virginia when I visited in the early-mid 90s. However with all the transplants in northern Virginia, you can easily find some like-minded fans to watch games with. There are Steeler bars, Packer bars, Cowboys, Eagles, Giants, even Saints.
Technically it's not in Virginia, but for many of us outside the state it's considered the home of the Redskins.

In my part of Oregon college football takes priority. Most of the NFL fans here are Seahawks fans. We get stuck with regional game of the 49ers :goodposting: , Raiders :shrug: and Seahawks :yucky: ..and this week we get SF playing SEA :yucky: :yucky:

Louisville, Kentucky here. Of course most around here are college basketball fans but the Colts and Bengals get the most support from what I can see. Behind those two I'd have to say the Steelers.

Charleston, SC here. We have a very large migration from the northern states and I would say at a sports bar I witness more Patriot, Giants, and Pittsburgh fans than any other. I've always been a Falcons fan :goodposting: , but alot of the people born and raised in South Carolina root for the Carolina Panthers ;(when they are good). One thing I've noticed is fair weather fans, diehards are not as common around these here parts. hahahah
Lots of older people will pull for the Redskins back when they used to be the closest team, good supply of Atlanta fans as well. I have always been a Dolphins fan in Charleston.

Mississippi is mostly Saints' fan, especially after Deuce went to the Saints. TV coverage tends to follow prominent Mississippi players though - NY Giants and Eli get a lot of coverage (hence, a lot of Ole Miss fans are now Giants "fans"). We're now watching the Jets for obvious reasons (last year was the Packers). We also tend to get a lot of the Titans, which is mostly from the McNair days.

Me? I'm a Skins' fan...

When I lived for awhile in Salem, Oregon I was surprised at the number of Raider fans, rather than the much closer Seahawks. I was told that it was because one of the original owners of the Raiders was Wayne Valley, a local who the OSU football complex was named for, and for years he made sure the Ray-duhs were on radio stations up and down I-5 with their games.

Not sure if thats still the case, but it was still in the late 80's /early 90's.

THIS JUST IN...they are still on the radio in Portland. so there ya go

treat88 said:
Gigantomachia said:
Manster said:
you live in Idaho and you dont care about Boise State! :shrug:
What would you expect from a Steelers fan?Edited to add: :shrug:
Love it.College football is a great way to pass a Saturday. Generates zero emotion for me. (BSU vs Oklahoma may be the exception. Greatest game evah!)For me college ball is simply the minor league for the NFL. I watch to see the prospects not the teams.
ever been to a college game? theres something special about college football. i'm more into the NFL, but college football is awesome. rivalries in college can be brutal!

Yenrub said:
The Redskins still have a big following in Raleigh even though the Panthers have been around for a while One of the local AM stations broadcast every Redskins game, often going head to head against the Panthers broadcast If for some reason the Panthers are not on FOX (Monday night or hosting an AFC team) then FOX will show the RedskinsThank goodness for DirecTv
Thats an intersting little nugget, who woulda known!What happens when they play each other, does the town get jacked or are people mostly fans of both teams?

Another Alaskan checking-in. I can always count on the Seahawks game being on each Sunday, no matter how well or poorly they are doing (see: this year). I'm close to 2,000 miles away from Seattle, so I would prefer they give me something better considering the distance; however, since Washington is the closest state in the Lower 48, a big assumption is made. I wouldn't care, but since I can't get DirecTv in Nome, it's a bit problematic.

For the record, I was raised in Virginia, hated the Skins, and am a lifelong Cowboys fan. That's why I had to move. That, and snakes.

PA has a third team splitting the state: Giants fans in the far NE, with amsattering of Jets fans. Lots of that area are yankee fans as well - although the Phillies made inroads with the minor league teams up that way.

DE has an intersting split I've noticed: Eagles (north) vs. Redskins (south). The fact that there are a bunch of Raven fans there as well skew things - I'd say the north is mostly Eagles, with some Ravens, and then it becomes heavily Ravens further down, with the Skins fans at the bottom of the state. there are a fair number of Raven/Eagle combo fans.

Canada here also, I live on Vancouver Island and I'm a true Seahawks fan, loved them since 1978. There are actually many Hawks fans in this area and in Vancouver. Many of these fans didn't exist until Seattle began having success under Holmgren. :goodposting:

Users who are viewing this thread