What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Stephen A might be a bit off. (1 Viewer)

I've heard that argument before. Just because people have abused a word into meaning the opposite of its meaning doesn't make it not wrong.

And no, it's not an attempt to appear smart because knowing the difference between literally and figuratively does not require much intelligence. However, I'm sure what you're saying is true in some instances. People will look for just about any reason to feel smarter than others. To me it's just an irritant similar to when people say "like" too frequently. So no ulterior motive behind me complaining about it. I'm simply using the internet to vent about something that annoys me. Isn't that what the internet is for?
 One of my best friends didn’t know how to use the correct version of your and you’re. Up until he was about 40 years old he just “didn’t care”. 

Its OK if you dont know something , but intentionally staying ignorant or having zero desire to learn is disappointing. 

Sebowski said:
zftcg said:
You mean "regardless". Live by the pedantry, die by the pedantry.  :P

For the record, I don't actually think either "could care less" or "irregardless" are wrong. The point of language is to be understood, not to slavishly follow rules. When you use either of those expressions, everyone knows exactly what you mean. There is zero confusion. Therefore, it cannot be wrong even if the internal logic of it doesn't make sense; as you'll see if you read that Slate article, there are plenty of other English idioms where that is also true (e.g., "head over heels").
😂 Irregardless was  :fishy:
You really meant Virgil Green.

This is exactly the type of thinking that seems to be dominate among younger folks. It will be interesting to see how they shape the world when it’s their turn with their “meh, who cares if it’s wrong?” attitude. 

Good luck with that. 
First of all, it's been awhile since I was grouped in with the "younger folks", so thanks for that.

Second of all, if you study the history of language, this is hardly a new phenomenon. Language has always evolved based on usage. In fact, for most of the English language's history, even spelling was not standardized. You could say it was the "younger folks" of Noah Webster's generation who pushed for more continuity and order, compared to their more relativist forebears. 

So yeah, when it comes to language usage, I'm a relativist, but so are you, whether you realize it or not. I'm sure you use lots of idioms that your grandparents and great-grandparents would have disapproved of (apparently my grandfather, who I never met, hated when people used "pretty" as an intensifier, eg, "pretty good"). It's a little like music, where everyone thinks that the music they grew up on was great, while the stuff their kids listen to is subversive noise.

Anyway, I'll get off your lawn now. I've got to go grow my hair long and smoke dope.  :P

I was joking with you!
:mellow:

This is your idea of joking?

12 hours ago, Da Guru said:

Can't help yourself..you had to bring Trump into a sports thread. I worry that some here think about Trump when they get up to pee in the morning.
Um, yes, that was really funny.

He will be here all week folks!

Last edited by a moderator:
There was a point in that conversation where Stephen A. did call them the Los Angeles Chargers, but he was thinking of when they were located there in 1960.

Love it when the English majors come into threads and attempt to belittle people. Go make your own thread about how smart you are and stay out of the ones where you aren't going to actually talk about the subject.
That second sentence needs a comma in between the 2 independent clauses. 

I agree. I dated a chick for a bit that was the same way. You stay stupid on purpose? Ok bye
I once went on a date with a girl (who had gone to an Ivy League school!) and we were talking about the Olympics, which were going on at the time. She said she had been watching the night before and couldn't believe that Marco Polo was an Olympic sport. I was confused for a second, and then said, "Are you sure it wasn't water polo?" "Ohhhhhh ..."

She was hot, but that was kind of a dealbreaker.

I try to be open minded and all, but I simply can’t listen to this guy. Blows my mind that if the sun is up he is most likely on ESPN. Simply unwatchable for me. 

But it looks like I’m off topic since this thread is about politics and grammar 😝

Nice! I get a warning for making a comment about Jared goff, but the political trolls can continuously spew their nonsense in NON POLITICAL Forums. Good job mods. 

Screamin’ A Smith is moronic. He only has fans because he says “Stay off the WEED-duh.”

To be fair to Stephen A, I think most sports shows are interested in controversy, and just being loud and sounding important, because they aren't trying to win over smart viewers, they are shooting for casual viewers, who don't know any better. That isn't just an ESPN thing. The internet has basically made TV sports shows semi-useless. Any info you want is readily available at your fingertips. So TV gets dumbed down, because its for the people who aren't reading things online. 

I think its been about a decade where I've watched a football show and they presented even 10% information that I didn't already know. I'm sure in a lot of cases(likely not Stephen A) that many of these broadcasters actually know more about football than I do, but it almost never comes across that way in the actual broadcast.

To be fair to Stephen A, I think most sports shows are interested in controversy, and just being loud and sounding important, because they aren't trying to win over smart viewers, they are shooting for casual viewers, who don't know any better. That isn't just an ESPN thing. The internet has basically made TV sports shows semi-useless. Any info you want is readily available at your fingertips. So TV gets dumbed down, because its for the people who aren't reading things online. 

I think its been about a decade where I've watched a football show and they presented even 10% information that I didn't already know. I'm sure in a lot of cases(likely not Stephen A) that many of these broadcasters actually know more about football than I do, but it almost never comes across that way in the actual broadcast.
being a moron isnt controversial

I've heard that argument before. Just because people have abused a word into meaning the opposite of its meaning doesn't make it not wrong.

And no, it's not an attempt to appear smart because knowing the difference between literally and figuratively does not require much intelligence. However, I'm sure what you're saying is true in some instances. People will look for just about any reason to feel smarter than others. To me it's just an irritant similar to when people say "like" too frequently. So no ulterior motive behind me complaining about it. I'm simply using the internet to vent about something that annoys me. Isn't that what the internet is for?
It's the difference between descriptive and prescriptive grammar and definitions, both of which have a major place in our language. Descriptive grammar is that which is actually used, prescriptive is a set of rules that people think ought to be used. There's a debate about which should take precedence in our language. You're obviously in the prescriptive camp, but descriptive grammar and definitions will also always have a useful place in our language. 

:grad:

Users who are viewing this thread