What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Stephen Hill (WR) - CAR (2 Viewers)

The Jets took back to back WR's - Jalen Saunders and Shaq Evans.

Hill is done, folks - at least with the Jets.
I'm not sure either of those guys are replacing Hill tho... They're both shorter WR's and not your prototypical X or spit end receiver like Hill is.
I view Decker as the split end. They now have Decker (X), Kerley/Saunder (Y) and Evans/Hill competing for the Z. Add in Amaro at TE and it's bad news for Hill unless he makes some miraculous improvement.

I'm not sure either of those guys are replacing Hill tho... They're both shorter WR's and not your prototypical X or spit end receiver like Hill is.
I view Decker as the split end. They now have Decker (X), Kerley/Saunder (Y) and Evans/Hill competing for the Z. Add in Amaro at TE and it's bad news for Hill unless he makes some miraculous improvement.
You're right, completely forgot about Decker. I'm not ready to give up on Hill though.

cstu said:
werdnoynek said:
cstu said:

I'd throw David Nelson into the competition for the Z. He played relatively well off the street last season, and at times was the teams best WR (which isn't saying much of course).

Whatever, he's that $5 bill you leave in you jacket pocket. If you find it someday then you get an unexpected gift. if not than who cares, you forgot about it anyways.

Hill is obviously very much on the bubble. He better show an insane improvement in camp or he's toast.

Rotoworld:Stephen Hill - WR - Jets

Jets third-year WR Stephen Hill insists he has "no issues" with the injured knees that plagued his first two NFL seasons.

Hill has also been plagued by drops and inconsistency, but getting healthy is a good place to start. "I'm excited about it," he said. "I have no issues, so I'm definitely excited about that." Hill has an upward climb toward fantasy relevance after the Jets signed Eric Decker, and drafted Jace Amaro, Shaq Evans, and Quincy Enunwa. Hill carries roughly WR5/6 value in Dynasty leagues.

Source: Newark Star-Ledger

May 23 - 4:52 PM

Last edited by a moderator:
Rotoworld-

Jets third-year WR Stephen Hill claims he grew 1 1/2 inches this offseason.
Hill measured 6-foot-4 even at the 2012 Combine, but apparently didn't know it. "Well physically, I grew an inch-and-a-half the past few months," Hill said. "I was 6-foot-3 and some change. Now [i am] over 6-foot-4 — definitely added some muscle as well." Height and straight-line speed were assets for Hill before the alleged growth. His problems have been injuries and dropped passes.

matttyl said:
Rotoworld-

Hill measured 6-foot-4 even at the 2012 Combine, but apparently didn't know it. "Well physically, I grew an inch-and-a-half the past few months," Hill said. "I was 6-foot-3 and some change. Now [i am] over 6-foot-4 — definitely added some muscle as well." Height and straight-line speed were assets for Hill before the alleged growth. His problems have been injuries and dropped passes.
:lmao:

Offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg thinks the Jets' offense is "light years" ahead of where it was at this time last year, and wide receiver Stephen Hill may be one reason why.

Hill was a much-ballyhooed second-round draft choice in 2012. But injuries and some wildly inconsistent play limited his effectiveness in his first two seasons.

Last week, Hill said the knee swelling that landed him on injured reserve at the end of last season was all gone. He's been taking part in the Jets' offseason program, and he looked a lot like his old self during organized team activities on Wednesday. (Please don't read to much into that, however: It was one practice on one day in a long offseason. That Hill was present, accounted for, and able to move without grimacing tells you all you need to know about the injury problems that plagued his first two seasons.)

Mornhinweg was the Eagles' offensive coordinator at the time the Jets drafted Hill. The Eagles didn't need to select a wideout then, but during a conference call with Jets season-ticket holders Thursday, Mornhinweg said he liked Hill at Georgia Tech because of his size (6-foot-4, 215 pounds) and speed. That said, Mornhinweg admitted Hill was "pretty raw" coming out of college, so he figured it might take some time for Hill to adapt to the pro game.

Might that time be now? Maybe.

Mornhinweg suggested it's possible, but it is worth noting that it's still only May 29, and the Jets haven't yet practiced in full pads this offseason, let alone had any contact.

So take this with a grain of salt, given where we are on the calendar. Just know that Mornhinweg said it in response to a fan's question about Hill and what Mornhinweg sees for him this season.

"He has looked just excellent in these offseason practices so far," Mornhinweg said. "He still has room to progress, so he's got some work. But I've been excited about season thus far up to date in this offseason."

Rotoworld-

:lmao:
Aren't GaTech students supposed to be adept at math?

This recent news makes the reason why he just hasn't got "it" in the nfl so much more apparent. How old is this guy? 22 23?

This recent news makes the reason why he just hasn't got "it" in the nfl so much more apparent. How old is this guy? 22 23?
LOL.... What recent news??? That he can't add???

he Just turned 23...

Hey, Wouldn't shock me if an extreme Project "gets it" and excells Past his 2nd NFL Season.... I'm old enough to remember when most WR's took 3 years to develop let alone a project thrust into a #1 role working with Sanchez and Schottenheimer offense with injuries...

Reaper said:
bmsarvis said:

he Just turned 23...

Hey, Wouldn't shock me if an extreme Project "gets it" and excells Past his 2nd NFL Season.... I'm old enough to remember when most WR's took 3 years to develop let alone a project thrust into a #1 role working with Sanchez and Schottenheimer offense with injuries...
Help me out here since everyone is ragging on him.

AFAIK he claimed:

"Well physically, I grew an inch-and-a-half the past few months," Hill said. "I was 6-foot-3 and some change. Now [i am] over 6-foot-4 "

If he was 6'3 and 1/8 and grew to 6'4 and 5/8 then he would have grown by an inch and a half and also is consistent with his statement. Am I missing something?

Reaper said:
bmsarvis said:

he Just turned 23...

AFAIK he claimed:

"Well physically, I grew an inch-and-a-half the past few months," Hill said. "I was 6-foot-3 and some change. Now [i am] over 6-foot-4 "

If he was 6'3 and 1/8 and grew to 6'4 and 5/8 then he would have grown by an inch and a half and also is consistent with his statement. Am I missing something?
Pretty sure he was listed at 6' 4'' at the Combine which is usually accurate....

Reaper said:
bmsarvis said:

he Just turned 23...

AFAIK he claimed:

Yes, because he measured 6'4 at the Combine TWO years ago...so either no one told him how tall he was, or he shrunk and then "grew it back". The joke is that the general public knew he was 6'4 already, and he did not (he thought he was 6'3 and change).

Reaper said:
bmsarvis said:

he Just turned 23...

AFAIK he claimed:

Yes, because he measured 6'4 at the Combine TWO years ago...so either no one told him how tall he was, or he shrunk and then "grew it back". The joke is that the general public knew he was 6'4 already, and he did not (he thought he was 6'3 and change).
It's a little creepy that random dudes on the internet know his height better than he does.

:stalker:

Reaper said:
bmsarvis said:

he Just turned 23...

AFAIK he claimed:

It's a little creepy that random dudes on the internet know his height better than he does.

I know you are rocking 183 pounds...nice job losing the "LBs"!

Reaper said:
bmsarvis said:

he Just turned 23...

AFAIK he claimed:

Did you know I gained a little over an inch last winter?

Reaper said:
bmsarvis said:

he Just turned 23...

AFAIK he claimed:

Did you know I gained a little over an inch last winter?
And here I thought all those e-mails that promised that were just spam! :lol:

I have seen players who are higher picks that were busts because of their own laziness. Those are busts."
He's not lazy but he can't catch - same as DHB.
Interesting comparison...yikes, really good one (but as a Jets fan, I hope you are wrong).

On a side note, how can guys "not catch"...I just don't get it. I would think that is one of the easiest things to improve upon in the sport.

Takeaways from Jets OTA's.

3. The battle for No. 2: Since there's no competition at quarterback (in the words of Michael Vick), the most compelling battle is unfolding at wide receiver. Who's the 2? Don't be surprised if Stephen Hill (yeah, him) emerges as the starter opposite Eric Decker. Right now, I'd say the top candidates are Hill and David Nelson, figuring Jeremy Kerley will be in the slot.

Clearly, this is a make-or-break year for Hill, who has yet to transfer his elite measureables into production. Hill did fine in the OTAs. but, remember, there was no press coverage (not allowed under CBA rules). Diminutive rookie Jalen Saunders got a lot of quality reps and demonstrated impressive short-area quickness, but again ... no press coverage. The wild card is Jacoby Ford, probably the fastest player on the team. He blew away teammates with his speed, but there are durability and consistency concerns.

I have seen players who are higher picks that were busts because of their own laziness. Those are busts."
He's not lazy but he can't catch - same as DHB.
Interesting comparison...yikes, really good one (but as a Jets fan, I hope you are wrong).

On a side note, how can guys "not catch"...I just don't get it. I would think that is one of the easiest things to improve upon in the sport.
Also interesting.... Didn't both start their careers with WR Coach Sanjay Lal.... Lots of questions if this guy is competent at all....

Hill really has had the worst of all worlds tho with QB talent,injs and supporting cast... We'll see.

he Just turned 23...

Sadly his development has been smashed by a crap head coach who could care less about throwing the ball and some atrocious QB play. As long as he's a Jet I think he's screwed.

he Just turned 23...

Sadly his development has been smashed by a crap head coach who could care less about throwing the ball and some atrocious QB play. As long as he's a Jet I think he's screwed.
If you're willing to hold, he'll be a 25 yo free agent (24 when free agency starts).

If I can I'll ride it out with Hill (had to drop him in one league so far) but I also rode it out with DHB and it didn't turn out so well.

Jets | Stephen Hill stands out

Tue, 17 Jun 2014 10:07:13 -0700

New York Jets WR Stephen Hill has been the best wide receiver at the team's minicamp so far, in the opinion of Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News.

New York Jets WR Stephen Hill's roster spot is on the line this summer after two lackluster seasons and knee problems. Hill worked with QB Geno Smith in the offseason in order to improve their chemistry, and Hill has been receiving first-ream repetitions in minicamp. He didn't have surgery on his knees in the offseason but spent his time strengthening the muscles in his knees. "My knee actually feels better than it did last year," Hill said. "Because last year I didn't take a lot of OTA reps and I went all through OTAs and now minicamp, so right now I feel strictly 100 percent." The Jets have plenty of options at wide receiver if Hill doesn't work out. He caught 24 balls for 342 yards and a touchdown last season.

FANTASY TIP: Unless Hill plays out of his mind in minicamp and training camp, he's likely to be buried on the wide receiver depth chart behind the likes of Eric Decker, Jeremy Kerley and David Nelson. Avoid Hill in all fantasy leagues.

Someone else tweeted that Hill still isn't extending his arms and catching the ball at its highest point. As long as that continues, his performances in OTAs won't mean very much to me.

Don't be too effusive in your praise there, coach...experience and healthy, wow.

Asked to detail some of Hill’s positive attributes, Jets coach Rex Ryan complied, but he only went so far before becoming realistic about Hill’s future.

“He’s got more experience so I think that’s going to help, obviously,” Ryan said. “I think he feels healthy so that’s positive, but he knows there’s nothing given. Nothing’s assured with guys' roles now, so he knows the competition’s on.”

I think catching passes while should be easy to correct. It turns into a mental thing.. limas sweed d.h.b. also come to mind... I have a hunch. M. Bryant is going to be another like that

Rotoworld:

Stephen Hill played well and did not have a drop during minicamp.
An athlete like Hill is expected to look good in non-contact practice, but the lack of drops is a promising sign for a player that has struggled with concentration throughout his career. Hill is easily the most physically gifted receiver on the Jets' roster, but he will have to turn those physical gifts into on-field performance if he wants to keep his job.

Source: New York Daily News

I was at camp today and came away pretty impressed by Hill. Got free off the line against first tem corners, and was routinely being placed in packages with Decker, Kerley/Amaro. Alternating with David Nelson on the outside I thought Hill looked quick and in synch with Geno. Wasn't so impressed with Shaq, but it was only the 3rd day of camp.

Rotoworld:

Jets WRs coach Sanjay Lal calls Stephen Hill "healthy and confident" through the first week of camp.

"I think he’s believing, and believing in himself — and it’s starting to show," Lal said. "It’s been the injuries that have hindered (him). ... He’s taken the coaching the whole time. Now, he’s able to do it physically, so it’s just kind of coming together right now." It's notable, because Lal's comments come one month after he said he was "unsure" if Hill would ever break through because of his health. Hill remains a long-shot to make a fantasy impact this season, but the upside is still there. He's someone to monitor.

Source: Newark Star-Ledger

Jul 29 - 7:57 PM

Like I've said before, Hill is the same age right now that DT was as a rookie, when he up 22/283/2. He's younger than Kelvin Benjamin. Would have liked him to have played better so far but he's still very young.

Sounds like he's putting in the work and making some strides.

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2014/08/jets_practice_spotlight_stephen_hill_weathers_aches_miscommunication_with_geno_smith.html

"The Jets need Hill to have a strong season, as a complementary piece to more proven receivers Eric Decker and Jeremy Kerley. Moreover, Hill is competing in this training camp with David Nelson for the Jets No. 2 outside receiver job.

All of which makes him an intriguing player to spend a couple hours watching at practice. Here is what we saw:

10:07 a.m.: Hill walks slowly toward the practice field from the locker room area, holding his helmet in his right hand. The sun starts to pop out from behind clouds. Hills body aches. He woke up this morning around 7 with a sore lower back and hips not a lingering issue, but rather, the product of Saturday nights intrasquad scrimmage, followed by a day off.

Practices following an off day are notoriously difficult on players bodies. Coach Rex Ryan calls them big boy days, Hill said, because of these challenges, especially at this later stage in training camp, when the effects of long days begin to compound.

Its definitely a grind, Hill said later.

Hill spent his off day Sunday getting physical treatment from the Jets trainers, and then relaxing at a nearby hotel with his wife of four months, Sheliza, and their 7-month-old daughter, MacKenzie. They drove up from New Jersey to hang out with him for the weekend, and left after Mondays practice.

As Hill saunters toward the field following an 8 a.m. team meeting during which the coaches installed plays he turns around and sees cornerback Dimitri Patterson. Once again, Patterson is trailing Hill. In the scrimmage, Hill burned Patterson for a 41-yard completion the sort of the big play the Jets coaches hope Hill can offer more often this year.

10:12 a.m.: Hill joins receiver Jeremy Kerley and running back Chris Johnson in the corner of a practice field. He shakes hands with Johnson.

10:17 a.m.: Stretching lines begin, as a special teams drill unfolds on the opposite practice field. A strength and conditioning coach calls out various stretches, instructing players to perform them: Hip flexor! Hills hips will need all the stretching they can get.

10:27 a.m.: The receivers participate in a drill in which one of them serves as a defensive back, and the other as a receiver. Slow lobs are thrown to the receivers. This is a half-speed drill meant to work on over-the-shoulder catches. Hill partners with Jacoby Ford. Each take two turns serving as a receiver and two as a defensive back. Receivers coach Sanjay Lal tells the receivers to keep their body between the ball and the defender.

10:31 a.m.: In a quick slant route drill against no defender, the receivers work on precision cutting, while catching fast-zipped passes. As the receivers break off their routes toward the sideline, Lal encourages them to keep their eyes up. He speaks in a calm, measured tone. Hill skips most of these drills, as the receivers work on various routes. Hill was not sure how many individual drills he would be able to do Monday, because of his hip aches.

10:37 a.m.: Hill talks to head trainer John Mellody as the receivers run more routes. Hill lies down on his stomach. Mellody bends his legs upward, into an L. Hill then lies on his back. Mellody pushes and pulls his legs, trying to stretch out his hips and lower back.

10:46 a.m.: Hill rejoins the route drill, after watching and doing all sorts of things to stretch his hips twisting his torso, lunging side to side, bending at the waist. The route Hill rejoins the drill for involves motioning back toward the quarterback, running a quick slant and cutting back toward the sideline. Hill catches his pass and looks sharp running his route. Afterward, he rubs his right hip, just above his butt, with his right thumb.

10:51 a.m.: The receivers begin a walk-through of plays with the offensive line, against no defense. The offense will use these plays later in practice, during 11-on-11 team periods. Hill wants to be ready for team periods, so he rests his hips and does not participate in the walk-through.

11:03 a.m.: Hill returns to action in a one-on-one drill pitting receivers against defensive backs. He runs a 5-yard route against safety Dawan Landry, stutter-steps and makes a catch. A minute later, he stretches his right leg again. On this day, this soreness will require constant monitoring and maintenance.

11:06 a.m.: Still in the one-on-one drill, safety Antonio Allen covers Hill on a go route down the sideline the sort of route Hill ran often at Georgia Tech. Hill has a step on Allen, but Geno Smith slightly overthrows the deep ball. Hill will make one more catch in the one-on-one drill, with rookie cornerback Dexter McDougle playing press coverage on him. Hill fakes nicely toward the sideline and cuts back in, about 10 yards off the line. Matt Simms completes the throw to him.

11:13 a.m.: Another walk-through period. Hill participates this time. The Jets are working on situational action the final two and four minutes of a half or game. On one play, all the receivers run go routes for a Hail Mary. Again, there are no defenders for this half-speed play, though there will be later, in team periods. Smith flicks up pass to the end zone that receiver David Nelson tips to Kerley, who tips it to Hill some wide receiver hijinks. Hill, making like he scored a touchdown in a game, gets down on one knee and playfully points skyward. A few fans watching the action laugh.

11:31 a.m.: In a 7-on-7 drill, Dee Milliner plays press coverage on Hill, who runs 10 yards and cuts back in, to make a catch for a 20-yard completion from Smith. Despite his hip pain, Hill seems to be running his routes well.

11:33 a.m.: Hill is wide open in the 7-on-7 period, streaking down the middle of the field. But Michael Vick does not throw him the ball. Hill has gotten past Darrin Walls in zone coverage. As Hill reaches the end zone, he kicks a pylon in mock frustration at having not been thrown the ball. Just having a little fun out there, Hill said later, by way of explanation. We cant be too uptight all the time.

But Hill does have a serious purpose in 7-on-7 drills even when he is not catching passes. Route running was not a natural part of his game coming out of college, where he rarely caught passes in a run-focused offense. Most of his actual receiving duties involved running straight go routes for deep balls. As an NFL player, he has had to focus a lot on route running. Having worked through these challenges, he admires teammates with precise footwork, like Kerley.

Youve just got to work on every single part of your technique, especially if the ball is not coming to you, Hill said. Just making sure youre staying low and cutting in the right direction.

11:51 a.m.: Hill is in for the first rep of team periods, against Walls, who is press covering him. Hill continues his consistent day with another catch, for about 10 yards, after cutting in toward the middle of the field. Despite sitting out some individual drills, Hill will not miss any of his scheduled action in team periods, which matter most.

11:55 a.m.: Hill encounters his first hiccup of the day at least the first one that is obvious to the untrained eye. He runs a deep go route, but turns around way too late after Smiths well-placed pass has landed on the ground in front of him. These are the sort of mistakes that can kill a late-game comeback drive the type of situation the Jets are working on in this practice. Smith yells at Hill, wondering why he did not turn around in time. This is the most upset Smith has been all practice. Hill does not yell back.

11:59 a.m.: Hill stands in a group of receivers. Smith approaches him. They talk for a few minutes about the miscue. Smith gestures with his hands, pointing and angling them in the manner of a receiver running a route. Hill listens, processing his only major mistake of the day.

It was a miscommunication, Hill said later. I just didnt feel that (the throw) was going to come (toward my) back shoulder. I shouldve peeked a little bit earlier. Im glad we did it there instead of in a game.

Hill clarified that this particular late-game play is such that his route does not demand he turn for the ball at a specific distance down the field as is prescribed for other routes. This is a deep ball situation when the Jets are pressed for time that relies more on timing and feel with the quarterback, Hill said.

He said his conversation with Smith centered on just trying to figure out when should I look or at that part of the game, how should we take care of that (timing).

12:07 p.m.: Hill gathers with a group of several others receivers as a field goal drill begins. (As it turned out, Hills miscue on Smiths deep ball was the final time Monday that the ball was thrown in Hills direction.) Offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg comes over and talks to the receivers for a few minutes. What did he say?

Basically (that) weve got a game on Thursday (the preseason opener against the Colts), and weve just got to pick it up, so we can make sure weve got our timing correctly, so we dont have to have any miscommunications out there on Thursday, Hill said.

Hill added that Mornhinweg emphasized to the receivers the importance of establishing timing with their quarterback.

12:10 p.m.: The Jets huddle to end their penultimate practice in Cortland before the preseason opener. Hill and the receivers stay afterward for a few minutes, to work on route running, as the quarterbacks throw them passes. Then Hill lifts weights for 45 minutes, and makes plans to take a dip in a cold tub and attend evening meetings, where the coaches will review the scrimmage film with the players. Hills practice has ended, but like so many other days at training camp, his work is far from finished."

Rotoworld:

Stephen Hill - WR - Jets

Stephen Hill remains behind David Nelson for No. 2 outside wideout duties.

Hill's troublesome knees haven't been an issue in camp, but production has. He's played 70 snaps and run 37 routes through two preseason games, yet has just one catch for 17 yards. Hill is unlikely to be a factor behind Eric Decker and slot man Jeremy Kerley even if he can catch up to Nelson before Week 1.

Related: David Nelson

Aug 20 - 10:54 AM

Still a body catcher. Just brutal to watch. Excited for next year when the jets finally move on from this guy

Still a body catcher. Just brutal to watch. Excited for next year when the jets finally move on from this guy
Hill made a great leaping catch against the Bengals (the one he got called for unsportsmanlike conduct). He did let the ball get into his body on his first target and it caused his to not be able to secure it as he got hit.

Rotoworld:

Stephen Hill - WR - Jets

Stephen Hill remains behind David Nelson for No. 2 outside wideout duties.

Hill's troublesome knees haven't been an issue in camp, but production has. He's played 70 snaps and run 37 routes through two preseason games, yet has just one catch for 17 yards. Hill is unlikely to be a factor behind Eric Decker and slot man Jeremy Kerley even if he can catch up to Nelson before Week 1.

Related: David Nelson

Aug 20 - 10:54 AM
Nelson has 3 catches for 14 yards.

Hill has 1 catch for 17 yards.

Hill made a great leaping catch against the Bengals (the one he got called for unsportsmanlike conduct). He did let the ball get into his body on his first target and it caused his to not be able to secure it as he got hit.
Any NFL wide receiver can make 1 or 2 nice looking catches. Its about consistent technique. He doesn't have it. Why a guy like that went to Georgia tech, I'll never understand. He never learned how to play the position.

Any NFL wide receiver can make 1 or 2 nice looking catches. Its about consistent technique. He doesn't have it. Why a guy like that went to Georgia tech, I'll never understand. He never learned how to play the position.
Probably because as a 6-4 guy with 4.3 speed he saw that Calvin went there and DT was looking like a 1st round pick.

I have to keep reminding people that he's still only 23 and younger than Kelvin Benjamin. DT at his age was a rookie who went 22/283/2.

Users who are viewing this thread