What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Stephen King's "Under the Dome" coming to CBS (1 Viewer)

So did anyone actually watch it? I have it on the DVR but am torn on whether to commit to it. I don't see it surviving, and after the bitter disappointment of Flash Forward, The Nine, and Windfall, I'm gunshy.
:goodposting:

Came in here to let the FFA make my decision. Delete or watch?
GF and I both watched and liked it. I am curious to see where they go from here (havent read the book).

Last edited by a moderator:
It was solid. The entire premise seems more outlandish on tv than it did in the book, even though the effects were great.

Is CBS rerunning the premiere, if anyone knows? I can watch it on Amazon Prime (apparently, based on something said upthread) but would just as soon see it on my TV, and I forgot to record it.

Is CBS rerunning the premiere, if anyone knows? I can watch it on Amazon Prime (apparently, based on something said upthread) but would just as soon see it on my TV, and I forgot to record it.
It will be on again Sunday night at 9 pm. Check your listings to confirm the time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good enough to earn a 2nd episode from me. Not sure about the characters yet, but I'm in for another week.

Summer TV mostly sucks, so the bar isn't especially high here

Not bad. I'll definitely give it a longer shot. It was worth it just to see the cow cut in half. I never read the book but it gives a good feel of a King novel so far.

It was solid. The entire premise seems more outlandish on tv than it did in the book, even though the effects were great for a stephen king based tv show
It was alright... I'm giving it a C+ so far. Willl see how the next episode or two shakes out.

The cliche' "Inexplicably over-crazy guy" that's in every one of king's stories is a little over the top, right now IMO.

It was solid. The entire premise seems more outlandish on tv than it did in the book, even though the effects were great for a stephen king based tv show
It was alright... I'm giving it a C+ so far. Willl see how the next episode or two shakes out.

The cliche' "Inexplicably over-crazy guy" that's in every one of king's stories is a little over the top, right now IMO.
Yeah, a small-town that gets a dome put over it, that also includes a sadistic serial killer is a bit over the top for sure. I always thought the story would be better without having the nutcase kid in it.

" post="15684809" timestamp="1372252521"]

I checked them all off after watching it last night.

Crazy Guy Check

Good Cop Check

Whore Check

Stranger Check

Corrupt politician Check

damsel in distress Check

Typical King.

damsel in distress Check

It seemed to be in a real rush to establish the characters, but I'll give it a chance.

I'm in. I liked the premise and the effects were great (the cow scene hooked me). Rachel Lefavre is great too (the reporter), I liked her from A gifted man.

I'm in. I liked the premise and the effects were great (the cow scene hooked me). Rachel Lefavre is great too (the reporter), I liked her from A gifted man.
The cow and the truck scene were amazing effects! Real eery which is why I love Stephen King. Some of his stuff may be out there but they all have a hidden meaning.

The cow and the truck scene were amazing effects! Real eery which is why I love Stephen King. Some of his stuff may be out there but they all have a hidden meaning.
I'll bite. What's the hidden meaning here? This isn't exactly The Crucible or anything.

I'll bite. What's the hidden meaning here? This isn't exactly The Crucible or anything.
I don't mean literally the cow and the truck scenes having meaning... I mean his work tends to be about human nature and the evils of the world. IMO for this series it has to do with human behavior of folks who are confined, cut from the outside world. We'll see for sure, but that's what King said in an interview he did about this series.

We're already under a dome. Its just the whole earth. Thats kinda the point of this book.

I'll also vouch for Cell. And again, in typical King fair, the story holds you right up until the last couple of chapters where you're wishing King new how to end his books better. He is like a gymnast who does the most awesome stuff of the balance beam and then fumbles the dismount landing time and time again. I do love when Frank Darabont works with him though, Shawshank and The Mist were both drastically improved by Darabont.

I caught it "on demand" the other night.. I had read the book so long ago, I can't remember all the details, but after watching the first episode, they started coming back.

I like the effects, the truck crashing and the cow being cut in half were pretty awesome.

We're already under a dome. Its just the whole earth. Thats kinda the point of this book.

I'll also vouch for Cell. And again, in typical King fair, the story holds you right up until the last couple of chapters where you're wishing King new how to end his books better. He is like a gymnast who does the most awesome stuff of the balance beam and then fumbles the dismount landing time and time again. I do love when Frank Darabont works with him though, Shawshank and The Mist were both drastically improved by Darabont.
I didn't realize Darabont did The Mist. Shawshank and the Mist provide an interesting comparison. King ends both stories somewhat ambiguously. The film versions of both removed the ambiguity entirely, however, but one did so in an incredibly Hollywood ending way, and the other in an incredibly non-Hollywood ending way.

I loved the movie ending of the Mist. However, I had read the book so I was caught WAY off guard.

I didn't realize Darabont did The Mist. Shawshank and the Mist provide an interesting comparison. King ends both stories somewhat ambiguously. The film versions of both removed the ambiguity entirely, however, but one did so in an incredibly Hollywood ending way, and the other in an incredibly non-Hollywood ending way.
loved the ending of the Mist (movie)

I love The Green Mile too. Frank Darabont directed this one too. Michael Clarke Duncan was fantastic in his role here. Such a loss to the acting world. RIP.

I don't mean literally the cow and the truck scenes having meaning... I mean his work tends to be about human nature and the evils of the world. IMO for this series it has to do with human behavior of folks who are confined, cut from the outside world. We'll see for sure, but that's what King said in an interview he did about this series.
Agree with this. Most of his stories eventually revolve around how the characters react to the supernatural situation they are put in. The Mist was a perfect example of this. It never really mattered what the Mist is nor where it came from. It was all about how the characters reacted to the crisis.

Hmmm, I'm going to have to propose a gang-bang to the wife the next time we go to the circus. Hidden meanings and all.

The Puerto Rican cop may be the worst actress since those idiot twins were added to Full House when the Olsen twins were deemed too big.

I watched the first episode and all I kep thinking is why dont they dig under it? I can't wait until the 4th episode when someone finally trys to dig under it and they explain why you cant.

Fennis said:
I watched the first episode and all I kep thinking is why dont they dig under it? I can't wait until the 4th episode when someone finally trys to dig under it and they explain why you cant.
I watched the first and second episodes back to back so I might have them confused, but I thought they tried to dig under it in first episode.

In any case, my current assumption is that it's a sphere. Because spheres are pretty.

Fennis said:
I watched the first and second episodes back to back so I might have them confused, but I thought they tried to dig under it in first episode.

In any case, my current assumption is that it's a sphere. Because spheres are pretty.
I'm going to assume that it is an ellipsoid. Just because.

Yeah, gonna go with the consensus here. I find the premise interesting, but the characters are awful. Just painfully bad

Fennis said:

I think next ep they'll try digging under it and find out it works and they're free

Users who are viewing this thread