What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Stock Thread (16 Viewers)

Gas prices have sky rocketed over the last month. I've seen this scenario before.
:yes:Gas is up to $3.95 in south Fla.
Three weeks ago it was $3.04 here, today it's $3.71.
It seems like every year since the crash of 08 the market heads up 5%-10%, then dives into the spring and then picks up again in the fall. This year could be different, but its starting to be a real familiar story.
Yep.
Whats really interesting to me is how much gas is up on a demand/inflation play, but Gold and Silver can't get any traction.
Man I hear that. I still have a bunch of physical silver, most of it bought in the $28 range but some in the $6 range. If it keep dropping, I'm adding more.
So can you tell me the rationale for why you would buy actual physical silver vs. a silver fund or something? What are the differences there?
OK, never mind. :kicksrock:
Sorry GB, just missed this. What Ref said plus I have a connection so I can buy very slightly over spot.
No problem. Was just curious. Thanks

Well for starters the ETF's don't have dollar for dollar the amount of gold/silver the NAV would indicate. They do hold much of it in physical material but also trade contracts. So the theory goes if the SHTF and the US dollar took a big hit and there was a run on any of the ETF's they wouldn't be able to liquidate the fund and pay out in material. Now I would never say to do this.... but if you trade SLV and it goes up 20% you need to pay the capital gain. if you go down to the coin shop and buy junk silver and the price goes up 20% and you sell it for cash and it doesn't make it onto a tax return..... Again, not recommended but just speaking what others think.
Are you always able to sell it easily for the "list price" or whatever you call it? Does every place use the same price? Where does that get established? I really have no idea how this works, but I find it intriguing.

Well for starters the ETF's don't have dollar for dollar the amount of gold/silver the NAV would indicate. They do hold much of it in physical material but also trade contracts. So the theory goes if the SHTF and the US dollar took a big hit and there was a run on any of the ETF's they wouldn't be able to liquidate the fund and pay out in material. Now I would never say to do this.... but if you trade SLV and it goes up 20% you need to pay the capital gain. if you go down to the coin shop and buy junk silver and the price goes up 20% and you sell it for cash and it doesn't make it onto a tax return..... Again, not recommended but just speaking what others think.
Are you always able to sell it easily for the "list price" or whatever you call it? Does every place use the same price? Where does that get established? I really have no idea how this works, but I find it intriguing.
Every place uses the same spot price, which is determined by the exchange on any given day/hour, however they charge (or discount if buying) a different percentage above/below that price.

I've left the building and am 100% cash. Dive, market, dive, please.
Very nice ### kicking drain after the fed minutes. Hopefully this will be a substantial beatdown.
If you saw one of my last posts, I'm out for the most part too. Kicking myself for not selling my SPLS first thing this morning. I thought I would have 20-30 minutes to make it to the office before the hammering would begin.

I've left the building and am 100% cash. Dive, market, dive, please.
Very nice ### kicking drain after the fed minutes. Hopefully this will be a substantial beatdown.
Oof. Gonna get a little punch here from the market. Asked my guy to liquidate an account last week, but since I had to mail in some forms, this may cost me a couple hundred. Damn post office taking forever to send stuff.

DOW is having a real tough time with 14,000.
S&P working on the finishing touches of the right shoulder on the most amazing looking head and shoulders top, if you beleive in that sort of thing. Use Yahoo and look at the S&P from it's beginning. Left shoulder Jan. 2000, head on July 2007, right shoudler now.Adding my own :rolleyes: but it is kinda cool looking. Man I hope this market takes a major crap.

Last edited by a moderator:
S&P working on the finishing touches of the right shoulder on the most amazing looking head and shoulders top, if you beleive in that sort of thing. Use Yahoo and look at the S&P from it's beginning. Left shoulder Jan. 2000, head on July 2007, right shoudler now.Adding my own :rolleyes: but it is kinda cool looking. Man I hope this market takes a major crap.
Looks more like a triple top, which isn't that much different.It's been a long time since I was into charting. Do the rules apply to markets as a whole or just individual stocks. If so, the S&P looks scary.

'Sheriff Bart said:
'Sheriff Bart said:
Bought 200 SPLS @ $11.43. They blew earnings and I considered shorting yesterday just based on the knowledge of our financials. The year started of very strong but as soon as gas prices went way up, things just died. I was (obviously) a little hesitant to try and draw a parallel though.

I hope it keeps getting hammered because I'm accumulating from here. I believe a certain large tropical jungle would LOVE to buy SPLS at these prices.

This really caught my eye.

ETA

Here is another compelling reason to own this stock. Trust me when I tell you, ODP won't be around much longer and OMX is on the ropes. Although the economy sucks, for now, SPLS has a very healthy balance sheet.
100 more SPLS @ 10.80 for 300 @11.22
Sold today at $13.52 for a profit of $669.00 plus $66.00 in dividend for a total profit of $735.00 after commissions.

Looks more like a triple top, which isn't that much different.It's been a long time since I was into charting. Do the rules apply to markets as a whole or just individual stocks. If so, the S&P looks scary.
I've think I've heard on CNBC that an indice is forming a H&S pattern or triple top before.

Bought 25 DDD @ $54.45.
I think the next sector trends and charts update on my blog I'm going to highlight the chart of DDD as a lesson. Glad you only bought 25 shares. I'd suggest you keep a relatively tight stop...meaning wherever you plan to take profits...put your Risk:Reward ratio at 1:2. Risk $1.00 to make $2.00. Thus if you plan to take profits at $60.45 (just an example for simple math purposes)- a $6.00 gain...then you want that stop at $51.45...a $3.00 loss.Good luck!

Bought 25 DDD @ $54.45.
I think the next sector trends and charts update on my blog I'm going to highlight the chart of DDD as a lesson. Glad you only bought 25 shares. I'd suggest you keep a relatively tight stop...meaning wherever you plan to take profits...put your Risk:Reward ratio at 1:2. Risk $1.00 to make $2.00. Thus if you plan to take profits at $60.45 (just an example for simple math purposes)- a $6.00 gain...then you want that stop at $51.45...a $3.00 loss.Good luck!
Thanks GB. :thumbup: Just throwing a little feeler out there before earnings & the split next week. ;)

Bought 25 DDD @ $54.45.
Thanks GB. :thumbup: Just throwing a little feeler out there before earnings & the split next week. ;)
I'm also interested in DDD after seeing this graphic in WIRED, they're the only major player in the space with fingers in all four pies (software, printers, services, and social media sites). ADSK is another one I'm looking at (established in the software field but no presence in making the actual printers).

Bought 25 DDD @ $54.45.
You selling these before the close?
Considering it but as it sits I'll only make $45, will probably hold and gamble. Have the stop on it precisely where you recommended.
PM sent.
:bag: Totally missed the part about date for the split and it was even pointed out to me here. Always feel free to expose my ignorance GB, it's the only way I'll learn. ;)Out at $56.62 for a profit of $40.25 after commissions. Hoping for a sell off after earnings and the split so I can get back in.

Siff, I believe I owe you a hooker or something.
Really glad you sold. I had mentioned using DDD as a "lesson" the next time I update my blog as it shows a pattern that is indicative of a major top. DDD daily trend is confirmed bearish, but it was ever so close last week when you took the piker position. Not only did you escape...but you made $ too. WHEW! Lucky? Good? Who cares.Overall market does not look right. "Ideal" trend setups are failing on individual equities, futures and forex currency. PI is still bullish, but dropping fast. Color me extremely concerned. I don't want to mention the "C" word (because the odds of a C and predicting one are extremely low)...but this is how one looks at the beginning.

Really glad you sold. I had mentioned using DDD as a "lesson" the next time I update my blog as it shows a pattern that is indicative of a major top. DDD daily trend is confirmed bearish, but it was ever so close last week when you took the piker position. Not only did you escape...but you made $ too. WHEW! Lucky? Good? Who cares.Overall market does not look right. "Ideal" trend setups are failing on individual equities, futures and forex currency. PI is still bullish, but dropping fast. Color me extremely concerned. I don't want to mention the "C" word (because the odds of a C and predicting one are extremely low)...but this is how one looks at the beginning.
Exactly!

I havent posted in quite a while. Havent had a strong feeling about a stock in a long time.For those of you who know Im in the insurance industry and all-in in MIG.Very good value.
With the recent dip after the big surge you predicted, do you think there's still an opportunity to get in now and see a bigger jump?

Jumped back in for 50 shares of DDD @ $34.70.

Long-term holder of Southern Copper (SCCO). New owner of Freeport-McMoRan (FCX). Both good dividend plays and FCX has expanded into oil and gas through acquisition.

They're a little volatile but I think there's very good upside, particularly on FCX.

Article

The S&P 500 declined more than 1 percent on Monday on fears that a divided parliament in Italy would get in the way of the country's reforms and hamper the euro zone's stability.

That's beautiful! :thumbup:

The S&P 500 declined more than 1 percent on Monday on fears that a divided parliament in Italy would get in the way of the country's reforms and hamper the euro zone's stability.

That's beautiful! :thumbup:
Careful in here "playing from the Don't". I'm largely out of the market myself so I also think it's a kind of a good thing personaly. But I guarentee you someone is going to come in here who put in a buy order at the bell this AM that's down 2-3% or more that isn't going to take kindly to that tone. That said - it may be time to go FAZ.

I wasn't being cryptic when I said "using DDD as a 'lesson'; major top"; "DDD daily trend is confirmed bearish"; "WHEW"; "Lucky". In addition I mentioned the scenario we are in for a potential C (the rest of that word is unmentionable).DDD looks like it's going to $24. And I LOVE DDD. It's a stock I want to own.I was trying to help you get out of the frying pan and then you go and jump into the fire.

I wasn't being cryptic when I said "using DDD as a 'lesson'; major top"; "DDD daily trend is confirmed bearish"; "WHEW"; "Lucky". In addition I mentioned the scenario we are in for a potential C (the rest of that word is unmentionable).DDD looks like it's going to $24. And I LOVE DDD. It's a stock I want to own.I was trying to help you get out of the frying pan and then you go and jump into the fire.
I tend to do that at times..... :bag: $24, yikes. I have about $5000 set aside for DDD I thought it seemed like decent time to jump in....I guess I need to stop being such a dumb ### and listen to you more.

I tend to do that at times..... :bag: $24, yikes. I have about $5000 set aside for DDD I thought it seemed like decent time to jump in....I guess I need to stop being such a dumb ### and listen to you more.
The stock split 3:2.I want to own some of this company too. Cutting edge, leader. revenue growth, profitable. Checks off many boxes. Buy it in your IRA and forget about it?

'siffoin said:
'St. Louis Bob said:
'siffoin said:
'St. Louis Bob said:
Sold at $35.01 for a profit of $1.50 after commissions. Will be waiting anxiously for $24.
'Sandeman said:
The stock split 3:2.
Yep but it also got crushed yesterday.

Last couple of days NFLX has had support around 176. I've got a trailing stop that will trigger if it drops through that, but hoping that I don't need it. Would love to see it go on a run to 205 before I needed to sell.ETA: My chart reads still bullish on daily, but bearish on the hourly.

Last couple of days NFLX has had support around 176. I've got a trailing stop that will trigger if it drops through that, but hoping that I don't need it. Would love to see it go on a run to 205 before I needed to sell.ETA: My chart reads still bullish on daily, but bearish on the hourly.
If I may be so bold. The 176 level is not only recent support but also the gap down level from Sept 2011. Assuming you have solid profits...I'd suggest a Larry Craig (wider stance)stop. A close below $168 as an example. I think $176 will trigger and stop you out as a weak hand. ToG is firmly bullish- I could see them shake out weak hands before that run north of $200. Obviously you're giving up a bit more profit, but $8 of potential loss vs $30+ of potential gain seems worth it to me. With that said...no shame in taking profits at $176. You can't go broke taking profits.

If I may be so bold. The 176 level is not only recent support but also the gap down level from Sept 2011. Assuming you have solid profits...I'd suggest a Larry Craig (wider stance)stop. A close below $168 as an example. I think $176 will trigger and stop you out as a weak hand. ToG is firmly bullish- I could see them shake out weak hands before that run north of $200. Obviously you're giving up a bit more profit, but $8 of potential loss vs $30+ of potential gain seems worth it to me. With that said...no shame in taking profits at $176. You can't go broke taking profits.
Thanks for the tip. The stop is currently trailing at 172.50, so it wouldn't be a huge difference to move that down 5 or 6 more.

'siffoin said:
'St. Louis Bob said:
'siffoin said:
'St. Louis Bob said:
Sold at $35.01 for a profit of $1.50 after commissions. Will be waiting anxiously for $24.
'Sandeman said:
If you guys are interested in DDD, also keep an eye on SSYS. They are the Coke and Pepsi of 3d printing.

'siffoin said:
'St. Louis Bob said:
'siffoin said:
'St. Louis Bob said:
'Sandeman said:
If you guys are interested in DDD, also keep an eye on SSYS. They are the Coke and Pepsi of 3d printing.
Let me make this clear. I LOVE 3D printing companies. These are companies I think will be big winners in the future. But the technical picture of all these stocks suggests that you will be able to buy them cheaper in the future. The charts look similar to how AAPL looked in October...or similar to this post I made back in early December when AAPL was trading around $550- My linkProceed with caution. Again. These are stocks I love and want to own.

SSYS's eps declined from Q3 '11 thru Q2 '12, before finally growing again in Q3 '12. Unfortunately, the Q3 '12 eps was lower than the Q3 '11 eps.
They just completed a merger with an Israeli company in December. I assume this will be the first report that shows combine EPS, but there may also be charges, etc, due to the integration.

'siffoin said:
'St. Louis Bob said:
'siffoin said:
'St. Louis Bob said:
'Sandeman said:
Let me make this clear. I LOVE 3D printing companies. These are companies I think will be big winners in the future. But the technical picture of all these stocks suggests that you will be able to buy them cheaper in the future. The charts look similar to how AAPL looked in October...or similar to this post I made back in early December when AAPL was trading around $550- My linkProceed with caution. Again. These are stocks I love and want to own.
You sound like someone who really knows how to read the charts. Any knowledge on how to do this, perhaps using this stock as an example, that you would be willing to share with a noob like me would be appreciated.

Huh. DDD climbing over 4% today.
Each trend is unique. However a very common pattern at the beginning of a major trend is a reaction in the opposite direction of that new trend. If the trend turns bullish, then it is quite common for a reaction down...but the trading pattern you'll see is higher lows to higher highs. Just the opposite in a bear trend where you see lower lows to lower highs. Go back to pretty much any major trend on pretty much any stock or index and you can see this pattern play out. In bear markets it's part of the game...where the bigger players can pass along their shares to you...commonly referred to as the bag holder. If we look at the split adjusted price of DDD- It topped at $48. Dropped to $36. Ran up to $45.60. Dropped to $30. Ran up to $37(?). Do you see a pattern here- lower highs and lower lows? That's just the common pattern. The main thing is my stuff has flipped bearish. It's an ideal trend- meaning all of the indicators are setup in ideal locations for a major move. If the chart were inverted we'd want to be heavily long.As a trend trader/investor my job is to align myself and my positions to the trend. I'm not so worried about the day to day oscillation in price as I am being on the correct side of the trend.Now the great thing about the market is that different people have differing opinions. That's what makes it a market. It is possible I can be wrong. Sometimes a great poker hand can get beat. But the nature of the bearish technical alignment of DDD, and I feel pretty confident that it will suffer serious decline from here over the next days, weeks, months. How low? How long will the bear trend last? I don't know as each trend is unique and has it's own fingerprint. If DDD were a bearish poker hand...I'd say I'm holding a full house.

Users who are viewing this thread