What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Stock Thread (4 Viewers)

Looks like one of my stocks (XLNX) is up on news that AMD is going to buy them. I like the pop but AMD has already done phenomenal this year so it’s a more expensive stock overall.

WFC next earnings report (or lack there of) is October 14, 2020, at 7 a.m. PT (10 a.m. ET)

I have no shares of it.  Debating if I want to take a chance now, or wait until after earnings.  All the other big banks have come back some from those March lows, yet WFC is still in that range.  

IPOB and FMCI have been nice the last few days. IPOB up 62% since Opendoor announcement on 9/15 as well and 75% the week prior.

All you penny stock chasers - got an alert from an online acquaintance on CBBT - scooped up a small amount at .007 - he thinks it can run well into the dimes - don't know much about it but he has a great track record on these so if you want to throw some play money into it, go for it. Something about a letter of intent to buy another company (yes, I know that's usually fake news or misleading) and something about an ex Apple executive investing through notes convertible at .10  -  sure, he could be a bad apple  :)

Last edited by a moderator:
All you penny stock chasers - got an alert from an online acquaintance on CBBT - scooped up a small amount at .007 - he thinks it can run well into the dimes - don't know much about it but he has a great track record on these so if you want to throw some play money into it, go for it. Something about a letter of intent to buy another company (yes, I know that's usually fake news or misleading) and something about an ex Apple executive investing through notes convertible at .10  -  sure, he could be a bad apple  :)
Fidelity gave me the Mutumbo finger on this one.

39 million shares traded today.  :lol:  

I blew it twice on FSLY but I did buy IPOB on 10/6.
I’m not a jump in and out investor so I probably miss some nice short term gains. FSLY will likely dip again, maybe a lot, but I think in 5 years it should be well up from here. It’s so hard to time. Look at today. 10% on no big news and it’s had a 40% up day. It’s too easy to miss a significant chunk so as long as I like the company, might as well buy and hold so you get all of those big moves.

IPOB/IPOC were both Fool recs and I had good luck with FMCI/OPES right before so I jumped in a while ago. It’s funny how I bought those in pairs with one doing great and the other lagging (84% to -4% but up $2800 and 61% to -9% but up $3800). Shows you how one hit can really overcome a laggard. I’ve also had laggards like SWAV and APPN and they’ve rolled lately. Both down or flat for almost a year and both have run 70% since mid July so up 37% and 70% overall now.

RE: DKNG

Haven't added any more yet.  I'm not sure NFL news gets better any time soon and may wait to see if it does dip to the mid-low 40's.  I'm still holding a comfortable position from the mid 30's though and not looking to start a new one.  

FYI, IPOD, IPOE and IPOF start trading tomorrow for you SPAC fans. 
I know a lot of y'all have been making good loot on SPACs, but I still don't understand investing in them. They're raising cash to do something so buying the SPAC is just speculating that they will find something worth more than the cash they raised to do with it?

RE: DKNG

Haven't added any more yet.  I'm not sure NFL news gets better any time soon and may wait to see if it does dip to the mid-low 40's.  I'm still holding a comfortable position from the mid 30's though and not looking to start a new one.  
I'd buy more  under 40, but there is certainly a lot of volatility related to NFL news. Should have sold some of that vol in calls.

FYI, IPOD, IPOE and IPOF start trading tomorrow for you SPAC fans. 
Dear lord. Might reallocate some of my others. It’s been like a money market. I’m up like 20-25% total on all 12 even though 5 haven’t announced, so solid returns for parking money. I’m almost wondering if it’s not the best move to dump the ones that have announced but haven’t gotten any traction. Definitely want to keep IPOB, DPHC and FMCI for a while but the rest that have announced and haven’t moved could be reinvested. It’s mainly in my IRA and there’s no trading fees now so it’s easy. I’ll have to sift through them again. The one I’m really eager about is PSTH and their $4B kitty. That’s enough for say some big announcement like AirBnB or something like that.

I know a lot of y'all have been making good loot on SPACs, but I still don't understand investing in them. They're raising cash to do something so buying the SPAC is just speculating that they will find something worth more than the cash they raised to do with it?
It seems like a great place to park some cash. If they don’t find something and you got in early, you basically get out flat. You missed out on opportunities but if it’s part of your cash position then it’s not really a miss. If they merge, especially a good one, then you can get a 25-100% return very quickly.

It’s not for everyone but it kind of satisfies my gambling instinct without having to spend the time day trading like others do in here. It’s kind of a set it and forget it type gamble with a very high floor.

How far do you think it may fall? I never bought any when it was bouncing around the 30s, maybe even dipped under 30 for a bit.
It's really hard to say because it's so dependent on external factors right now, nothing to do with the company itself.  We've kind of gotten a free preview that without COVID issues people are still willing to buy well into the 60's.  There was an offering that didn't help but the majority of this downturn has been due to the COVID outbreaks and that seems hard to predict.  I'm not surprised by today's selloff because I think people are scared things will unravel over the weekend and the NFL won't have an easy answer.

So it all comes down to your confidence of the NFL handling the COVID situation I guess.  If you think they can get it under control then it's probably a screaming buy.  If you think things will keep unraveling with these outbreaks then it will probably drop further.

It's really hard to say because it's so dependent on external factors right now, nothing to do with the company itself.  We've kind of gotten a free preview that without COVID issues people are still willing to buy well into the 60's.  There was an offering that didn't help but the majority of this downturn has been due to the COVID outbreaks and that seems hard to predict.  I'm not surprised by today's selloff because I think people are scared things will unravel over the weekend and the NFL won't have an easy answer.

So it all comes down to your confidence of the NFL handling the COVID situation I guess.  If you think they can get it under control then it's probably a screaming buy.  If you think things will keep unraveling with these outbreaks then it will probably drop further.
So....short it?

I'm at 50% cash in my brokerage (non-IRA) account.  No real reasons why, just not feeling anxious to put it to work.  

Blew out the TZA for a 10% loss. A man's gotta know his limitations. Now 9/14 on trades for the year.
If the White House changes hands next month, I’m looking to hit TNA really hard for an extended run.  I’m just going to have to remember not to get to greedy on my entry point. 

Nice day today for CBBT - up 30% from where I got it - hope it continues upwards - I'm thinking 2 cents easily by end of next week - of course, with some (vicious) ups and downs along the way.....

Anyone have any insight onto why Ebay is valued so low?

I don't own any but I was doing some research on undervalued companies and this one popped bigly.

They're stay at home e-commerce, exactly what has been popping right now, but for some reason they're trading at banking multiples instead of e-commerce multiples.

They've absolutely destroyed their last two earnings reports and the stock has barely moved on either.  Their growth during covid is matching or exceeding companies like Etsy and Wayfair yet their are trading at insanely lower multiples.

P/E
Wayfair: 122
Etsy: 118
Overstock: 100
Ebay: 7

P/E                                               PEG
Wayfair: 122                               N/A
Etsy: 118                                      3.49
Overstock: 100                          N/A
Ebay: 7                                         0.87
Yahoo doesn't have a P/E ratio for Wayfair or Overstock, likely because it shows negative earnings. But it didn't exactly line up on Etsy or Ebay, either.

But to answer your question, yes, Ebay is indeed cheap. But value-based investing like this has been a sucker's game for a while now, it seems. Best of luck!

I don't own any but I was doing some research on undervalued companies and this one popped bigly.

They're stay at home e-commerce, exactly what has been popping right now, but for some reason they're trading at banking multiples instead of e-commerce multiples.

They've absolutely destroyed their last two earnings reports and the stock has barely moved on either.  Their growth during covid is matching or exceeding companies like Etsy and Wayfair yet their are trading at insanely lower multiples.

P/E
Ebay has traditionally been a poorly run company.  It never had a Jobs, Gates, Musk, Bezos or Zuckerberg type genius running it.  But management is supposedly better now than in the past.  I think that Covid is going to get really bad this winter which will help eBay tremendously.  People being insanely bored at home is exactly what eBay needs to increase the number of people using it because eBay requires motivation and a time commitment.  The payoff of doing eBay as both a seller and buyer is nice and it is easy to continue eBaying once in the groove.  Last April/May people had their yards and unfinished projects to put their time into.  This winter it's going to be indoor stuff and people's boredom will be exponentially greater than last spring.  Ebay, home renovations, and indoor exercise equipment will all do amazing.  I can't think of a lower risk stock to invest in right now since eBay benefits from Covid as much as any stock while being immune from Covid-related production issues that could plague companies making a physical product.

P/E
Not sure how it effects the stock price but have you checked out ebay lately?  I haven't used it for a couple years but there are some items I've been looking for that I figured might show up on ebay (restoring an old bike).  I didn't come across one "auction" item.  Everything is "buy it now" price and majority of items are sellers selling things I can purchase thru Amazon for same or less (and able to return it with no hassle if I don't like it).  I see no reason to use ebay now, so maybe that's why?  Is there another online auction site to buy/sell items?

Not sure how it effects the stock price but have you checked out ebay lately?  I haven't used it for a couple years but there are some items I've been looking for that I figured might show up on ebay (restoring an old bike).  I didn't come across one "auction" item.  Everything is "buy it now" price and majority of items are sellers selling things I can purchase thru Amazon for same or less (and able to return it with no hassle if I don't like it).  I see no reason to use ebay now, so maybe that's why?  Is there another online auction site to buy/sell items?
Ebay totally changed.  As a seller, eBay was amazing 20 years ago because you could list things in a 10 day auction for .01 and things would sell for what they were worth.  It was a fad back then and people were paying attention on a daily basis.  Some buyers were even competitive and would bid things up because they wanted to "win".  It is no longer the same.  As a seller now, you have to sell your things as "buy it now".  As a seller, it means you have to stick with it for months or even years.  Before, you could list things as an auction and be finished with it in 10 days.  It is now better as a buyer because you don't have to wait 10 days to buy something, sometimes losing.

I used to be a power seller on ebay.  Still sell 3-5 items per month there but nothing like I used to.  I sell a lot of auctions and there are still plenty of those, but even if it were moving more into the "store" category with buy it now stuff why would that cause them to lag so much against these other online stores?  What does Overstock offer that you can't get on Amazon cheaper and faster?

I probably won't end up chasing this.  I think I still have some FOMO from seeing Wayfair run and thinking "wow I should really buy some Overstock in case that follows the trend" and then I didn't and it ran up 50,000% lol.  

I've been doing some additional research on SPACs over the weekend. One that I've seen discussed elsewhere a few times is LOAK. Anyone here have an opinion on that one? Seems like 100% biodegradable polymers could be a good play and LOAK is still trading near $10.

https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1779020/000101376220000051/ea127764ex99-3_liveoak.htm
Seems interesting, but it’s a long term play. Some of these mergers aren’t big enough names so they don’t really pop. In that case you just have to decide if you want to hold it long term because some sort of good company news or earnings has to happen for any type of pop.

Some interesting premarket moves:

AMZN/AAPL - day before prime day/new iPhones, not surprisingly up nicely

DPHC -  following up Friday’s 12% jump with another 12% jump

PSTH - been steadily moving up little by little from lows earlier in September under 22. Up another couple percent this morning. Usually doesn’t move much since nothing announced, but volume seems to be up making me think an announcement may be near or could just be another wave up followed by a downturn, again not moving much.

FSLY - still moving up, getting real tempted to unload a little.

MDLY moving premarket, new scam stock. They had an earnings report two months ago. Still losing money and revenue dropping by a 1/3. Definitely a good reason for the 200% pop today. Lol. They just had to do an asset sale on Friday because their debt looks to be 4x their shrinking revenue which will be lower now that they sold off stuff.

BTW, I don’t go looking for this stuff. Yahoo Finance is where I keep my info so I can see across trading accounts and their ticker search always has a few trending stocks pop up when you search. I tend to be nosy and click to see what’s going on.

Users who are viewing this thread