What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Streaming or currently airing TV shows (AKA Netflix thread) (5 Viewers)

Lorraine Bracco, in season one, is laughably, painfully horrendous.  I'm wondering if she might get better as her role expands, though.
Interesting take, she was nominated for multiple Emmy’s and Golden Globes the first 3 seasons but lost out to her costar Edie Falco a couple of times.

Thats not to say you’re take is wrong or anything. If she wasn’t believable to you I totally understand. I often find it fascinating that some people love certain actors acting and others slam it. That’s a common criticism I see where someone thought so and so’s acting was horrendous in this tv show or movie and I think “why? I thought they were fine.” I often wonder if it’s similar to the comedy saying “I laughed, you didn’t.”  :shrug:

Season 5 of Kim's Convenience (Netflix) - entertaining but maybe lost a few MPH from their fastball of the previous 4 seasons. Seemed like the tone was a bit different as they knew they were heading down the stretch towards the end of the series.

Black Sails (Starz/Hulu) - I liked the premise of trying to imagine the lead up to Treasure Island while also working in actual historical figures. I think it mostly worked. They leaned way too heavily on exposition by soliloquy - way too heavily, it took you out of the flow. I get that the writers were being a bit meta in making this show somewhat a commentary on how the events of history get recorded and interpreted by unreliable sources with agendas, but I think they went a litle too literal with it. They also leaned pretty heavily on the lipstick lesbian angle, nice to look at but don't know how much of that was really necessary for the overall plot. Also I didn't always buy the overbearing drive to establish a free republic that motivated many of the characters, but it actually had a good resolution to that in the end. They mostly earned the character developments that happened throughout the series, though one or two rang a bit unbelievable. I think I like how they developed John Silver, with a couple of caveats that I won't get into for fear of spoiling. Started out a bit slow, but got better as it went along. Some of the visuals and cinematography were outstanding, particularly once they got out to sea. The episode where the Walrus sails into the storm is worth seeing as a standalone just for the visuals.

Last edited by a moderator:
Buckna said:
Interesting take, she was nominated for multiple Emmy’s and Golden Globes the first 3 seasons but lost out to her costar Edie Falco a couple of times.

Thats not to say you’re take is wrong or anything. If she wasn’t believable to you I totally understand. I often find it fascinating that some people love certain actors acting and others slam it. That’s a common criticism I see where someone thought so and so’s acting was horrendous in this tv show or movie and I think “why? I thought they were fine.” I often wonder if it’s similar to the comedy saying “I laughed, you didn’t.”  :shrug:
I've found Edie Falco phenomenally good in the 1.2 seasons I've watched so far.  Stunningly so.

I've found Edie Falco phenomenally good in the 1.2 seasons I've watched so far.  Stunningly so.
there's a season towards the end of series that I remember people here complaining about when it aired... an absolute master class by Falco as Carmella's character finally gets fully fleshed out. I was an island loving that particular season.

there's a season towards the end of series that I remember people here complaining about when it aired... an absolute master class by Falco as Carmella's character finally gets fully fleshed out. I was an island loving that particular season.
Looking forward to it!

krista4 said:
Lorraine Bracco, in season one, is laughably, painfully horrendous.  I'm wondering if she might get better as her role expands, though.
Def the weak link IMO
Her character was one of my least favorites, but Bracco was consistent with Dr. Melfi's bland personality. The character served an important part on the show as being the only person Tony could tell certain things to, and him letting his guard down to an extent.

My wife and I finished watching "In & Of Itself" last night and would both highly recommend it. We are in Canada and watched it on Crave, but I think Hulu carries it in the US.

It is best described as "Magician and performance artist Derek DelGaudio's highly lauded stage show is given a theatrical release and what can't be denied is that it is certainly unlike anything you've seen before. Directed by Frank Oz, this 90 minute feature is more of a stage play than your stereotypical magician's live performance."

krista4 said:
Interesting. I remember when I first started watching the show Bracco's name was the only one of the cast I recognized (from her work in Goodfellas).  Their names might not have been known to me, but they soon became an all star cast as I continued to watch the series.

Season 5 of Kim's Convenience (Netflix) - entertaining but maybe lost a few MPH from their fastball of the previous 4 seasons. Seemed like the tone was a bit different as they knew they were heading down the stretch towards the end of the series.
There were some changes in writers or producers or something the last season and the cast was really not happy with some of the planned story lines saying they were outright racist. So they re-did a bunch of stuff but none of the cast was very happy still apparently. Kind of sounded like it was a season that just shouldn’t have happened.

We started The Mysterious Benedict Society on disney with our kids (14 & 10). Tony Hale and Kristen Schaal star opposite some kids. Kinda not there yet, might be the writing as not funny or interesting enough..but we'll keep with it and see. So far its a mix of spy kids and wes anderson.

This.

Lorne Malvo (Billy Bob Thornton season 1) is one of my favorite TV villains of all time.
i was all the way out on Fargo when it first came out. loved the movie. didn't want to see it tarnished.

went to visit the father of a friend of mine and he had the show on. within 2-3 minutes we stopped talking and sat silently through the whole episode. i was completely hooked from that point.

Has 'Startup' been discussed here yet?  

I'm only two episodes in, and I have to keep explaining things to the wife, but I'm in it 'til the end now.  It's only 3 seasons and has already finished.  Aired in 2016-2018, not sure what format originally.  

Edit to add:  Netflix show

Has 'Startup' been discussed here yet?  

I'm only two episodes in, and I have to keep explaining things to the wife, but I'm in it 'til the end now.  It's only 3 seasons and has already finished.  Aired in 2016-2018, not sure what format originally.  

Edit to add:  Netflix show
I read somewhere there's a 4th season coming

Started Sex / Life last night

Sarah Shahi  :wub: :wub:

2 episodes in and I am enjoying her.  I mean the show.
oooh, something to get excited about on Netflix for the first time in a year?!

crushed on Shahi in Alias forever ago, then fell hard for her in the last great broadcast-network show, the short-lived Life (with Damian Lewis). havent seen her in anything i could tolerate since

:clap:

Re-Watching Band of Brothers .... 

I can't believe I forgot it was only 10 episodes.  I swear it was like 50 lol

Wife and I watched "The tomorrow war" on Amazon last night. Both thought it was worth the time.. A few good laughs, good action, and a decent time travel aspect. :thumbup:
Was thinking about this tonight or tomorrow.

Any thoughts for 10yo and 14yo kids?

:oldunsure: 14 year old would be fine.. Not sure on a 10 year old. Lots of death/kill scenes, as to be expected.. Does get pretty intense at times... 
We started Army pf the Dead with her (10yo) the other night...at her request. Lasted about 50 seconds. Switched to Clueless, which was a hit with both kids.

Wife and I watched "The tomorrow war" on Amazon last night. Both thought it was worth the time.. A few good laughs, good action, and a decent time travel aspect. :thumbup:
Watchable but pretty generic IMO. I love alien invasion flicks so I was in no matter what, but was just okay for me, though had a few solid scenes for sure. Made me want to re-watch Edge of Tomorrow. 

Watchable but pretty generic IMO. I love alien invasion flicks so I was in no matter what, but was just okay for me, though had a few solid scenes for sure. Made me want to re-watch Edge of Tomorrow. 
Just watched Boss Level on Hulu. Has a similar premise as Edge of Tomorrow minus aliens. It is pretty fun.

Thought it was decent...so starved for new content, probably liked it more than I should have.

I enjoyed it, want to watch it again soon. There is dreck out there for new content and this in my wheelhouse.

yeah, kind of curious about The Tomorrow War. Its right up my alley (even if it only has appeal as a popcorn flick and not some super deep sci-fi movie) but critics are destroying it. And twitter is all over it calling a "straight white savior fantasy". So not sure if its actually a "bad" movie or if people just dont like that that the main guy is just a generic white dude.

I'll probably give it a watch anyway, but man...it is NOT being well received.

yeah, kind of curious about The Tomorrow War. Its right up my alley (even if it only has appeal as a popcorn flick and not some super deep sci-fi movie) but critics are destroying it. And twitter is all over it calling a "straight white savior fantasy". So not sure if its actually a "bad" movie or if people just dont like that that the main guy is just a generic white dude.

I'll probably give it a watch anyway, but man...it is NOT being well received.
I'm sure they'll be flabbergasted when it makes jillions and the audience rating is overwhelmingly more positive than the critic rating.

Users who are viewing this thread