What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Streaming or currently airing TV shows (AKA Netflix thread) (1 Viewer)

Finally finished Succession
I don't get the love for this show. Other than Brian Cox, there wasn't a performance on the show I thought was very good and there wasn't a single likable character on the show.
Logon Roy was a ******* but a great character. The rest.......total buffoons. Terrible script. Terrible acting. Terrible everything.
To argue that this series was in the same class with The Sopranos or The Wire is ridiculous.
I have a very minority and unpopular opinion about one you mention: I recently watched a few episodes of Sopranos and thought "how is this good?" Stopped there. Maybe it didn't age well or something...

Holy crap! The Christmas flashback episode of the latest season of The Bear was incredible, intense, insane.

I don’t want to spoil any of the surprises, but there were some awesome performances across the board. This should win a number of Emmy’s.

It’s up there with some of the best TV episodes I’ve seen. (I won the TV draft, so I know what I’m talking about)

Is HULU the only way to watch it? It’s the one streaming service I don’t have and I’ve been trying to hold out from becoming a subscriber to literally every service imaginable. I’d even pay to download the series (counterintuitive I know).

Recently decided to revisit a couple of my favorite episodes from Alice in Borderland. Man, this was such a great show. For those who like the genre (dystopian game to the death) and don’t mind subtitles, I want to once again recommend this one. And it’s only a two season commitment!

Holy crap! The Christmas flashback episode of the latest season of The Bear was incredible, intense, insane.

I don’t want to spoil any of the surprises, but there were some awesome performances across the board. This should win a number of Emmy’s.

It’s up there with some of the best TV episodes I’ve seen. (I won the TV draft, so I know what I’m talking about)

Is HULU the only way to watch it? It’s the one streaming service I don’t have and I’ve been trying to hold out from becoming a subscriber to literally every service imaginable. I’d even pay to download the series (counterintuitive I know).
If you have disney+ they have a bundle that’s only a few dollars more, although that may be through Verizon

If you have disney+ they have a bundle that’s only a few dollars more, although that may be through Verizon

Interesting. I did a search on Disney+ and it said that title wasn’t available in my region. What part of the country are you in?

Interesting. I did a search on Disney+ and it said that title wasn’t available in my region. What part of the country are you in?
Through Verizon I get Disney+, Hulu (with ads) and ESPN+ in a bundle for free — well i had a choice to lower my bill by $20 or pay the same and get this buncle.

I think that’‘s what he is referring to.

Watched FUBAR on Netflix over the weekend. Enjoyed most of it (Hated the very end). Fun cast, a lot of laughs.

Binged this series and am on the second to last episode. I agree 100% with your post. The supporting cast is really good, particularly Roo and Aldon. Laughed a lot throughout. It’s nothing remotely groundbreaking but I enjoyed it far more than I was expecting.

Finished it yesterday. I also really enjoyed it - for a lighthearted, funny, spy show. The cast is great. Arnold is funny. What's not to like?

Yeah, I see it only available through Hulu. Great show.

Just finished watching that episode. Simply a mind-blowing hour of TV.

Through Verizon I get Disney+, Hulu (with ads) and ESPN+ in a bundle for free — well i had a choice to lower my bill by $20 or pay the same and get this buncle.

I think that’‘s what he is referring to.
Yes correct

I had to catch my breath afterward since it seemed like I was holding it for most of the hour.

Finally finished Succession
I don't get the love for this show. Other than Brian Cox, there wasn't a performance on the show I thought was very good and there wasn't a single likable character on the show.
Logon Roy was a ******* but a great character. The rest.......total buffoons. Terrible script. Terrible acting. Terrible everything.
To argue that this series was in the same class with The Sopranos or The Wire is ridiculous.
I have a very minority and unpopular opinion about one you mention: I recently watched a few episodes of Sopranos and thought "how is this good?" Stopped there. Maybe it didn't age well or something...
I am right there with you. I started watching it about 6 months ago and got through a hand full of episodes and I didn't see what all the fuss was about. I thought it might be because I was just getting to learn the characters and figure out the stories but it just seemed to be slow moving and nothing that was extraordinary. Not sure if I will pick it back up.

If you haven't seen "Dear Zachary: A Letter to a Son about his Father" yet, it's pretty phenomenal. Easily the most powerful documentary that I've ever seen and it's got a 96% on Rotten Tomatoes, if you care about that sort of thing. It will stay with you for a long time; it's not a feel-good story. I recommend you don't do any research before you watch it because, like the Sixth Sense, if you know how it ends, you might as well not watch it. If anyone has seen it, I'm curious what you thought. I think it's on Amazon Prime right now, but it's been out for a long time, so it's probably easy to find.

I've never watched a documentary, before or since, that has hit me harder than this one. And it's been years ago that I saw it.
Agreed. A documentary equally brilliant as it is frustrating to watch.

Great documentary. Terrible circumstances. Haven't read all the responses but try Netflix's new "Take Care of Maya". Also hard to watch but well done, emotional and interesting.

I had to catch my breath afterward since it seemed like I was holding it for most of the hour.
Finished Season 2 yesterday. Such a great show.

Just plowed through Season 2.... Not many shows want me to binge but this is one of them

Can somebody briefly explain Black Mirror? Are they each individual horror / sci-fi stories?
Anthology. All individual stories - though they exist in the same "world" so it's common to see call backs to earlier episodes.

Each story generally has a theme about where technology can go wrong.

Just plowed through Season 2.... Not many shows want me to binge but this is one of them
I was very disappointed in the first half of season 2, but the second half is awesome so far!

Can somebody briefly explain Black Mirror? Are they each individual horror / sci-fi stories?
Anthology. All individual stories - though they exist in the same "world" so it's common to see call backs to earlier episodes.

So each episode is its own story, or each season? Been curious about this show as well...

So each episode is its own story, or each season? Been curious about this show as well...
Each episode is it's own story.

Think Twilight Zone with a technology/media element or angle (not always but usually).

Last edited:
Recently finished some seasons.

Ted Lasso Season 3 - 6/10. I know there's a Ted Lasso thread so I'll keep this short. I'm glad it ended as I probably wouldn't watch a fourth season and I think it ended how it needed to. I really didn't love the finale but for the end - which I thought was really good and was consistent with the characters. I actually didn't really enjoy the Ted character himself in this season (which I get why they had to make him more melancholy given the ending, but I thought his character and good-heartedness is what made the show great and we didn't get that in season 3). I thought the Nate and Keeley arcs were pretty weak, though, and some of the events of the final game were just stupid and beyond the pale.

American Barbecue Showdown Season 2 - 8/10. Much like the first season, I pleasantly enjoyed this (and I'm not even that into barbecue) and it's the ideal show to me to have in the background while do tasks at home or whatever. I really, really enjoyed how it's not a cutthroat reality show and, instead, the people on the show all season like genuinely great and kind people.

Better Call Saul final season - 9/10. Don't ask me why I waited so long as I have no good answer, but finally got this finished. Earlier seasons were better but I'm giving it a 9/10 because it's a fantastic show.

Platonic - 7/10. Watching about 15 minutes of this as a wind down show before bed. It's good for that as it's just kind silly but the chemistry between the two main characters is strong even though they're both ridiculous and unrealistic.

Like others have pointed out, it's an anthology series. Each episode is its own thing. Some episodes run like 40 minutes are so. Some are 1:20+, basically like a feature film. In any show like this, it is inevitable that some episodes are going to be better than others, but (a) the quality of this show is superb and pretty consistent across the first handful of seasons and (b) if you don't like a particular episode, no biggie.

If you decide to start this and are unsure about whether it is for you, I very strongly recommend NOT starting with S1E1 (The National Anthem). That is a very good, highly relevant episode. But the subject matter is extremely off-putting to viewers who don't know what they're getting into. You can come back to this one once you're a few episodes in. The next two episodes -- 15 Million Merits and The Entire History of You -- are both 10/10 episodes that accurately signal how this show operates. If you watch those and don't like them, you can comfortably skip Black Mirror. But you'll probably like them.

Edit: Actually, The Entire History of You is arguably the single best episode in the entire series. Everybody has their favorite, and if we did a poll I'm sure San Junipero and maybe a couple of others would give it a run for its money, but that episode is firmly ensconced in pretty much everybody's Top 5. And it requires no set-up and follow-up. If you don't like it, Black Mirror probably just isn't for you, which is fine obviously.

Last edited:
Recently decided to revisit a couple of my favorite episodes from Alice in Borderland. Man, this was such a great show. For those who like the genre (dystopian game to the death) and don’t mind subtitles, I want to once again recommend this one. And it’s only a two season commitment!
This keeps getting recommended for me, think I'll give it a go as dystopian is my middle name.

Like others have pointed out, it's an anthology series. Each episode is its own thing. Some episodes run like 40 minutes are so. Some are 1:20+, basically like a feature film. In any show like this, it is inevitable that some episodes are going to be better than others, but (a) the quality of this show is superb and pretty consistent across the first handful of seasons and (b) if you don't like a particular episode, no biggie.

If you decide to start this and are unsure about whether it is for you, I very strongly recommend NOT starting with S1E1 (The National Anthem). That is a very good, highly relevant episode. But the subject matter is extremely off-putting to viewers who don't know what they're getting into. You can come back to this one once you're a few episodes in. The next two episodes -- 15 Million Merits and The Entire History of You -- are both 10/10 episodes that accurately signal how this show operates. If you watch those and don't like them, you can comfortably skip Black Mirror. But you'll probably like them.

Edit: Actually, The Entire History of You is arguably the single best episode in the entire series. Everybody has their favorite, and if we did a poll I'm sure San Junipero and maybe a couple of others would give it a run for its money, but that episode is firmly ensconced in pretty much everybody's Top 5. And it requires no set-up and follow-up. If you don't like it, Black Mirror probably just isn't for you, which is fine obviously.

Nosedive from Season 3 is one of my favorites

The bold is absolutely good advice. I say this even though The Entire History of You isn't in my top 5 (though it's probably 6 or 7) and I actually liked The National Anthem better. The Entire History of You is probably the best representation of what Black Mirror is.

Thought I've seen people rip on The Diplomat here. Four episodes in, and I like it a lot. To be fair, Keri Russell is in my top 1. But still. It has kind of a West Wing vibe. I'm digging it.

The bold is absolutely good advice. I say this even though The Entire History of You isn't in my top 5 (though it's probably 6 or 7) and I actually liked The National Anthem better. The Entire History of You is probably the best representation of what Black Mirror is.
So watch the 3rd episode first? I will start it right after wrapping up Better Call Saul.

Such a relief watching a great show after watching Succession. lol.

So watch the 3rd episode first? I will start it right after wrapping up Better Call Saul.
Yeah I think so. 1.3 is just a better representation of what Black Mirror is and 1.1 has a particular vulgarity that can be off-putting (though I actually like 1.1 better).

I don’t think I’d start skipping around to other seasons but there’s really no harm in watching episodes within a season out of order.

I'm like 4 episodes into black mirror and I'm hooked. Why did I wait so long to watch this great show
Jealous you get all these new to you

thx
i usually watch random stuff during the week while im working out on my phone but i think im gonna save these to watch them at home. they deserve my full attention and OLED
Agreed. They usually have small details, too, that are important that you need to be paying attention for.

Just finished Take Care of Maya documentary on Netflix. Crazy story.

I can definitely see both sides though. Tough story.

Hang the DJ gets my best Black Mirror episode vote.

We did a thread ranking the black mirror episodes I believe

I think it was just in the Black Mirror thread. Here was mine. If I had to redo this, Nosedive and Hang the DJ would probably move to top 3, as those along with Entire History have really stayed with me.

1.3 "The Entire History of You"
2.4 "White Christmas"
3.1 "Nosedive"
3.2 "Playtest"
3.3 "Shut Up and Dance"
2.2 "White Bear"
4.4 "Hang the DJ"
1.2 "Fifteen Million Merits"
3.4 "San Junipero"
4.1 "USS Callister"
3.6 "Hated in the Nation"
4.3 "Crocodile"
1.1 "The National Anthem"
4.6 "Black Museum"
4.2 "Arkangel"
4.5 "Metalhead"
3.5 "Men Against Fire"
2.1 "Be Right Back"
2.3 "The Waldo Moment"

I think it was just in the Black Mirror thread. Here was mine. If I had to redo this, Nosedive and Hang the DJ would probably move to top 3, as those along with Entire History have really stayed with me.

2.4 "White Christmas"
3.1 "Nosedive"
3.2 "Playtest"
3.3 "Shut Up and Dance"
2.2 "White Bear"
4.4 "Hang the DJ"
3.4 "San Junipero"
4.1 "USS Callister"
4.3 "Crocodile"
4.6 "Black Museum"
4.2 "Arkangel"
4.5 "Metalhead"
3.5 "Men Against Fire"
2.1 "Be Right Back"
2.3 "The Waldo Moment"

Thank you, I've been feeling "Playtest" is woefully underrated.

2.4 "White Christmas"
3.1 "Nosedive"
3.2 "Playtest"
3.3 "Shut Up and Dance"
2.2 "White Bear"
4.4 "Hang the DJ"
3.4 "San Junipero"
4.1 "USS Callister"
4.3 "Crocodile"
4.6 "Black Museum"
4.2 "Arkangel"
4.5 "Metalhead"
3.5 "Men Against Fire"
2.1 "Be Right Back"
2.3 "The Waldo Moment"
Man, 99% on board here i think. Dig this list. Shut up and Dance/Playtest I feel like don't get talked about enough.

Users who are viewing this thread