What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Streaming or currently airing TV shows (AKA Netflix thread) (9 Viewers)

My wife and I tried out Sprung (on Amazon) without hearing anything about it first and ended up watching the season in a few days and enjoying it. Nothing heavy, but likeable characters and some pretty funny moments.
Four episodes in and we're enjoying it. Enough laughs to keep us going and a good cast. The jokes about covid at the time are really funny.

We started watching The X-Files for the first time. Does it hold up throughout or is there a drop-off at some point?
It's a show from before the current planned series - where there's a map at the beginning, and all/most episodes are serving the overall story. Think Breaking Bad - that was a plan and they executed it. Dark is a great example. X Files was from the era where the point of a show was to survive as long as possible... so they have tons of one-off episodes, which are fun... but the overall story had no plan. They occasionally tacked on some bits here and there, but it never felt cohesive, and they had no idea when it would end, so they couldn't really resolve things.

I liked the show when it was on, but even at the time I was annoyed by the throughline story. I think watching it now after seeing Golden Age TV, I'd really be annoyed.

We started watching The X-Files for the first time. Does it hold up throughout or is there a drop-off at some point?
It's a show from before the current planned series - where there's a map at the beginning, and all/most episodes are serving the overall story. Think Breaking Bad - that was a plan and they executed it. Dark is a great example. X Files was from the era where the point of a show was to survive as long as possible... so they have tons of one-off episodes, which are fun... but the overall story had no plan. They occasionally tacked on some bits here and there, but it never felt cohesive, and they had no idea when it would end, so they couldn't really resolve things.

I liked the show when it was on, but even at the time I was annoyed by the throughline story. I think watching it now after seeing Golden Age TV, I'd really be annoyed.

The X files is indeed a mix of one off "monster of the week" episodes with a mix of what are called "mytharc" episodes. These mytharc episodes are the ongoing serial storyline of the series involving aliens and government consipracies. If that's all you are interested in, you can look up exactly which episodes to watch.

I stopped watching after a while so I dont know if/how the storyline ends after the movies. I hear it got really bad once Duchovny left.

Anyone know if there's going to be a second season of Dexter: New Blood? I've had it on my list of things to watch but if more is coming I may just hold off until it's all completed.

Anyone know if there's going to be a second season of Dexter: New Blood? I've had it on my list of things to watch but if more is coming I may just hold off until it's all completed.
They considered it but it has been scrapped. It sounds like they are working on a prequel series though.

The X files is indeed a mix of one off "monster of the week" episodes with a mix of what are called "mytharc" episodes. These mytharc episodes are the ongoing serial storyline of the series involving aliens and government consipracies. If that's all you are interested in, you can look up exactly which episodes to watch.

I stopped watching after a while so I dont know if/how the storyline ends after the movies. I hear it got really bad once Duchovny left.

They did a reboot a few years back with Mulder and Scully. There was 1 decent episode with robots and AI gone awry, other than that I can’t recall anything memorable

They did a reboot a few years back with Mulder and Scully. There was 1 decent episode with robots and AI gone awry, other than that I can’t recall anything memorable
I like the episode where the lizard becomes a dude and goes about trying to live as a human. It was Rhys Darby from Our Flag Means Death iirc. Freakin hilarious.

I picked up Max on Black Friday. I really liked Last of Us with the exception of one scene where a clear video game big boss clicker showed up. The Offerman episode was my favorite, but the whole season was good.

I'm two episodes into Chernobyl, and of course it's really good. I like how there are scenes that are shot like a horror/zombie movie - it fits.

Moonlighting is almost 40 years old but it's streaming for the first time on Hulu. The combination of comedy and crime still makes for an entertaining watch. The banter between Cybill Shepherd and Bruce Willis is occasionally cringey but they have good chemistry and Willis brings undeniable star quality.
We've been watching it. I never did in the 80's.

It's fun in a His Girl Friday sort of way. And Cybil Shepherd is easy on the eyes.

Moonlighting is almost 40 years old but it's streaming for the first time on Hulu. The combination of comedy and crime still makes for an entertaining watch. The banter between Cybill Shepherd and Bruce Willis is occasionally cringey but they have good chemistry and Willis brings undeniable star quality.

It's fun in a His Girl Friday sort of way. And Cybil Shepherd is easy on the eyes.
You might find this interesting. https://theasc.com/articles/tender-loving-care-for-moonlighting

You might find this interesting. https://theasc.com/articles/tender-loving-care-for-moonlighting
That IS an interesting article, thanks!

Just started Life on Our Planet on Netflix. Might be the most visually stunning thing I've ever seen on TV.
The 3 Planet Earth series are likewise stunning and so well done.

I haven’t watched the series yet, but just bought the 4k Blu Ray version of A Perfect Planet which is in the same vein simply because I know the picture on disc will be even better than streaming and I can’t wait to see the amazing cinematography.

It’s one and done. There was some speculation that they might make another season, but Showtime opted not to pursue more. I have heard some talk about a Dexter prequel, but that wouldn’t have anything to do with New Blood.

I don’t think I’ve seen the show Bodies (on Netflix) mentioned in this thread. I’m 6 episodes in of the 8 episode limited series and am enjoying it.
Without giving much away I’ll say if you are into time travel movies and shows this series is time traveling to the power of 4.

I don’t think I’ve seen the show Bodies (on Netflix) mentioned in this thread. I’m 6 episodes in of the 8 episode limited series and am enjoying it.
Without giving much away I’ll say if you are into time travel movies and shows this series is time traveling to the power of 4.

We tried it but it didn’t capture my wife’s attention. Might give it another shot

My wife and I have been watching the British show Unforgotten on Amazon Prime. Just finished the second season and we’ve liked it so far.

It’s a cold case show with a smaller amount of episodes each season, but does a great job of weaving a bunch of storylines together as they reveal more about the mysteries as the investigations go on. Solid show so far.

Always enjoyed The Crown, one of my favorite shows in the last decade, always meticulously written and produced and then oh my God it goes right off the rails in the season 6 mid-season finale. Can’t believe how stupid that was. If you saw it you know.

My wife and I have been watching the British show Unforgotten on Amazon Prime. Just finished the second season and we’ve liked it so far.

It’s a cold case show with a smaller amount of episodes each season, but does a great job of weaving a bunch of storylines together as they reveal more about the mysteries as the investigations go on. Solid show so far.

Added to my never ending watchlist. It sounds like something Mrs. Eephus would like

...more than me

Added to my never ending watchlist. It sounds like something Mrs. Eephus would like

...more than me
The seasons take a couple episodes before the prices start to come together and you see how the different characters come into play so it’s a little bit of a slow build.

Reacher Season 2 drops on Amazon Prime next Friday. First 3 episodes then weekly after that.

Season 1 was mostly from the first book Killing Floor, season 2 is going to be from one of the middle books, Bad Luck and Trouble. Not one of my top 5 but a fan favorite and not one already done by Tom Cruise.

Nothing award winning but some good old fashioned popcorn *** whooping.
Wait... I think I watched this. Really, really... Bad. But fighting and bullets and stuff, so.. ok.

Reacher Season 2 drops on Amazon Prime next Friday. First 3 episodes then weekly after that.

Season 1 was mostly from the first book Killing Floor, season 2 is going to be from one of the middle books, Bad Luck and Trouble. Not one of my top 5 but a fan favorite and not one already done by Tom Cruise.

I enjoyed S1 and looking forward to this new one. I really liked the Roscoe character from S1 and was disappointed that she would not be in this one. That said, I see Serinda Swan is in this season so that's a pretty good replacement. (y)

Last edited:

Wait... I think I watched this. Really, really... Bad. But fighting and bullets and stuff, so.. ok.
Season one was just pure entertainment. Campy and cheesy, but in a good way. Also Willa Fitzgerald gives me the jumpy&quo.

I enjoyed S1 and looking forward to this new one. I really liked the Roscoe character from S1 and was disappointed that she woul dnot be in this one. That said, I see Serinda Swan is in this season so that's a pretty good replacement. (y)
:yes:

Just finished S2 of Justified. I like it well enough but it's not great. Good enough to keep going though.
Finished Season 3 last night. Best one so far, imo. I like how each season seems to have a single main story with side stories running through them all, somewhat similar to Dexter. I still wouldn't call it a great show and I'll never watch it over again but it is enjoyable enough for a first run through.

Halfway through Obliterated on Netflix. Pretty entertaining and some gratuitous nudity :ph34r:
I finished ep4 last night. It's a fun watch if you turn your mind off for a bit. I do chuckle a fair bit while watching so not regretting it. Sauna scene was 🔥 Took me a bit to realize the bad guy is Gale from BB.
Finished it today. The first half is standard action movie level unrealistic but the 2nd half gets pretty cartoonish. Still entertaining enough though. Anything with Vegas as a backdrop makes it seem better :laugh:

need new content

luckily, sports are good in December/January because it's been pretty barren on the movies/show front

Just finished Squid Game the Reality game show contest on Netflix. It was decent. Players get eliminated but don’t die, until there’s one left who wins $4,560,000

Halfway through Obliterated on Netflix. Pretty entertaining and some gratuitous nudity :ph34r:
I finished ep4 last night. It's a fun watch if you turn your mind off for a bit. I do chuckle a fair bit while watching so not regretting it. Sauna scene was 🔥 Took me a bit to realize the bad guy is Gale from BB.
Finished it today. The first half is standard action movie level unrealistic but the 2nd half gets pretty cartoonish. Still entertaining enough though. Anything with Vegas as a backdrop makes it seem better :laugh:
I finished last night. It held my attention enough. Lots of silly and many convenient things happen that are pretty unrealistic but I don't regret finishing it. Has the usual twists and turns, gruesome deaths, gratuitous nudity (I guess that's not all that common any more) and, of course, useless FBI guys. For anyone who might care to know, we saw (.) (.) from 3 of the 4 female leads and 2 of the males showed their junk (although pretty sure 1 was a prosthetic) 🌭

Started watching Suits on Netflix. Not a bad show but I can see it getting tiresome binging it with the same formula happening every episode.
Totally what an average day in a law firm looks like...

:wall:

I tried watching this recently. Made it about 20 minutes before turning it off. Usually I don't care if the legal stuff isn't right (see, e.g., parts of "Succession"), but this one was just too much. I burst into laughter when they introduced the guy as "our best closer," as if that were a position. Then the "closer" proceeded to curse out and trick his client into doing something, and I think it was at that point that I just couldn't.

Started watching Suits on Netflix. Not a bad show but I can see it getting tiresome binging it with the same formula happening every episode.

I tried watching this recently. Made it about 20 minutes before turning it off. Usually I don't care if the legal stuff isn't right (see, e.g., parts of "Succession"), but this one was just too much. I burst into laughter when they introduced the guy as "our best closer," as if that were a position. Then the "closer" proceeded to curse out and trick his client into doing something, and I think it was at that point that I just couldn't.
I recall that scene and it's where I lost any interest in it too (which, IIRC, was on the heels of them hiring a guy to practice law without a law license).

I just can't do Suits and the Netflix series version of Lincoln Lawyer. They're just way too much nonsense.

I recall that scene and it's where I lost any interest in it too (which, IIRC, was on the heels of them hiring a guy to practice law without a law license).

I just can't do Suits and the Netflix series version of Lincoln Lawyer. They're just way too much nonsense.
Next I suppose you are going to say hospitals aren't actually run like Grey's Anatomy and House and that being a CSI isn't like it is on all those CSI series or being a cop isn't like it is on the 50 different cops shows.

:foldertoss:

Next I suppose you are going to say hospitals aren't actually run like Grey's Anatomy and House and that being a CSI isn't like it is on all those CSI series or being a cop isn't like it is on the 50 different cops shows.
Similarly I hated that show “Ops” about the rogue COO. Those guys totally didn’t understand liability insurance and completely overestimated the sex appeal of a NYS payroll report.

I'm a journalist and I have a hard time watching TV shows and movies about newspapers/journalism. The only one I really liked was The Post, and that was mainly because it was based on a true story and the events in the movie really did happen.

Users who are viewing this thread