What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Streaming or currently airing TV shows (AKA Netflix thread) (7 Viewers)

Dredd - Watched it this weekend. I'm not sure why this got such good reviews. Maybe I missed something by not having it in 3d - but it wasn't that good. Its also basically the same story as The Raid: Redemption. But that movie was a lot better. It just wasn't that good - not even in a dumb, fun way.
Like Pacific Rim, Dredd's experience is best viewed in a theater.

Last edited by a moderator:
Finally got around to watching Warrior last week. I must admit it was entertaining but it certainly loses points for being utterly unrealistic.

Dredd - Watched it this weekend. I'm not sure why this got such good reviews. Maybe I missed something by not having it in 3d - but it wasn't that good. Its also basically the same story as The Raid: Redemption. But that movie was a lot better. It just wasn't that good - not even in a dumb, fun way.
I enjoy most mindless action romps, but this movie didn't really do it for me either.

I agree with your assessment. The Raid minus the awesome parts = Dredd.

The lone exception is if you pause where the guy is purposely thinking dirty thoughts when he makes the chick read his mind.

Homer J Simpson said:
I just watched Primer.

My nose is bleeding and I can't do science anymore. Brain is broken. No worky no more.
I love this movie. For me, it's one of the very few movies that always offers something new with every viewing. It's like this puzzle that has so many different ways it can be put together.

Into the White

Was bored and was checking Netflix when I came across this. I enjoy these types of movies so I figured I'd give it a shot, having somewhat low expectations. Nice surprise it turned out to be. I really enjoyed it. There is a small amount of subtitles, especially in the beginning, but most of it is in English.

3.5/5

I am sure it has been mentioned but the new Netflix series Derek is really good. Especially if you like Ricky Gervais. He plays the mentally challenged nursing home worker well. Solid supporting cast. Funny, touching, and moving at times. Really liked it. 3.5/5

I am sure it has been mentioned but the new Netflix series Derek is really good. Especially if you like Ricky Gervais. He plays the mentally challenged nursing home worker well. Solid supporting cast. Funny, touching, and moving at times. Really liked it. 3.5/5
Never heard of it...thanks!

Love Gervais.

Been watching The Black Donnellys. NBC show that only lasted a season. I really liked it when it was on, and it holds up pretty well, except for the highly annoying narrator/Joey character.

Olivia Wilde is spectacularly hot though. She's worth the price of admission alone. :wub:

Just watched the pilot. Really good. I'm definitely going to keep watching.

Wow, The Fall is definitely a good watch. I didn't realize it was so few episodes and was bummed when I noticed I reached the final episode. Sounds like season 2 won't be until next year sometime.
Finally finished the last two episodes of this. Really strong overall, despite an unsatisfying ending to the season. I'm glad they decided to push on with a second season. There are a lot of ways this could go.
I liked the ending of the season. As you say, lots of ways this could go. Felt like they really cemented his dual personas over the final 15 minutes. Definitely want more of The Fall.

Does the walking dead get better or is it just more zombie killing?

I made it through the first episode... Barely.

If you don't like the first episode (which I don't understand how that is possible), just stop.

First episode is one of the greatest hours of TV ever.

First episode is good, then it slows down, then season 2 is glacial slow (except for 5 minutes in the middle of the season then the last episode)

Any idea when season 5 of SOA is going to be streaming ? Since Netflix killed off the method StreamingSoon used to access what was upcoming you can't find any reliable information.

You had to know the show included zombies, and the killing of them right? Why the heck would you start watching it and complaining if that isn't your thing?

You had to know the show included zombies, and the killing of them right? Why the heck would you start watching it and complaining if that isn't your thing?
I heard the show was good. Episode 1 was a dude woke up from a coma in a land filled with zombies and then he and another dude killed a bunch of them. No reason to go to episode 2 if that is the plot. :shrug:

That said, Top of the Lake episode 1 was very good. I'll stick with that.

I heard the show was good. Episode 1 was a dude woke up from a coma in a land filled with zombies and then he and another dude killed a bunch of them. No reason to go to episode 2 if that is the plot. :shrug:

That said, Top of the Lake episode 1 was very good. I'll stick with that.
I didn't more than a few episodes into WD before I bailed on it. I felt like the acting and writing/plotting were in equal parts disappointing. I've got Top of the Lake in my queue and looking forward to it.

It's a very British series. Melodramatic and filled with pop music.

Most interesting thing about it for me is that Gervais is nearly the fourth banana on the show. Hannah is the heart of the show and most of the laughs come from Dougie and Kev. Gervais kind of floats around. Pilkington as Dougie really is a riot.

I'm a sap for this kind of stuff and really enjoyed it. You'll either think it's really trite or enjoy the ride. Love the flashbacks with the elderly residents. The Radiohead-Bones montage got to me as did the Coldplay ender to the season.

If you are a Gervais fan you'll like it.

It's a very British series. Melodramatic and filled with pop music. Most interesting thing about it for me is that Gervais is nearly the fourth banana on the show. Hannah is the heart of the show and most of the laughs come from Dougie and Kev. Gervais kind of floats around. Pilkington as Dougie really is a riot.

I'm a sap for this kind of stuff and really enjoyed it. You'll either think it's really trite or enjoy the ride. Love the flashbacks with the elderly residents. The Radiohead-Bones montage got to me as did the Coldplay ender to the season.

Pilkington is something of a revelation. I mean, he's basically playing himself but he does it really well.

Evilgrin 72 said:
Daywalker said:
It's a very British series. Melodramatic and filled with pop music. Most interesting thing about it for me is that Gervais is nearly the fourth banana on the show. Hannah is the heart of the show and most of the laughs come from Dougie and Kev. Gervais kind of floats around. Pilkington as Dougie really is a riot.

Pilkington is something of a revelation. I mean, he's basically playing himself but he does it really well.
Very surprising he hasn't gotten more opportunities considering his connection to Gervais and how good he is in this. Expected to see a long career in Britain when I looked up his imdb page. Not much there. Odd.

Daywalker said:
Evilgrin 72 said:
Daywalker said:

Very surprising he hasn't gotten more opportunities considering his connection to Gervais and how good he is in this. Expected to see a long career in Britain when I looked up his imdb page. Not much there. Odd.
He's pretty lazy and somewhat misanthropic. I am not particularly surprised he hasn't been in more projects. I did read a while back that he's set to host another travel program independent of Gervais and Merchant called "The Moaning of Life."

Karl Pilkington to quit acting: "I gave it a go but I didn't like it"

Karl Pilkington has revealed that he plans to quit acting.

Pilkington played caretaker Dougie opposite cohort Ricky Gervais in Channel 4 comedy-drama Derek.

"It's not for me," he said of acting at last night's (September 18) launch of his new Sky1 series The Moaning of Life. "I gave it a go but I didn't like it.

"I'm doing a little bit in the new Derek but not as much."

Pilkington added that he prefers shooting his Sky1 series to acting, claiming that he had been "spoiled" by An Idiot Abroad and The Moaning of Life.

"As much as I complain about being away from home, I look back on it and go, 'That was good'," he explained.

"When I did the stuff in Derek, I'm in a lock-up in Uxbridge. You're sat in a caravan, waiting to be called... and I had that f**king stupid wig on."

The Mancunian also claimed that his performance as Dougie "wasn't acting".

"People go, 'Oh, you're quite good in it'. I think I got away with it - it wasn't acting!" said Pilkington.

"I can put myself in a situation dead easy and get wound up by it, but for me, if you'd said, 'Right, that's brilliant Karl, [now] do it in Irish' - that to me is a proper actor!

"If you can't do that stuff, then you're not really acting, you're just remembering s**t."

The Moaning of Life will air on Sky1 in October.

Users who are viewing this thread