What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Streaming or currently airing TV shows (AKA Netflix thread) (6 Viewers)

Somehow I missed completely on Star Trek:TNG when it ran. Plan on plowing through it now. Enterprise and Voyager and the original Star Trek also streaming.
I never did watch the end of Voyager. May have to go back and watch that. TNG has some great episodes and some really awful episodes. Still a solid Star Trek series.
TNG is an all time series for me. I think it is one of the reasons that reboots of television shows as movies have become so common.While I agree that the occasional Dr. Crusher or Counselor Troi centered episodes can be pretty weak, as a whole that show delivered the goods on a regular basis. Although I must say that computer security on the most advanced starship in the 23rd century sucks. Microsoft must have won the Starfleet contract.
A big reason I am going to watch the series is that I am a huge Wil Wheaton fan, not from ST:TNG, but from everything he has done the last 10 years, basically his life after ST:TNG. But I know I'm missing out on a ton of inside jokes as he makes fun of himself from the show, so I feel like I need to watch this big piece of pop culture.
Check out 'Stand By Me' if you haven't yet...
Oh yes, have watched that many times. Liked him in Toy Soldiers as well. Just never watched Star Trek. So far, it's been just the campy sci-fi I was hoping for.

With the family away I've become a nightly NetFlix Instant freak.

Watched "The Human Centipede" last night. DO NOT WATCH THIS.

To repair my scarred mind, I checked out "The League" and was really surprised. I ended up watching all six episodes. It's really, really good.

:thumbup:
I've said this before but, part of me dies every time I see the DVD cover in Best Buy and humanity is lessened due to this movie's very existence.
Have you checked out Antichrist?

To repair my scarred mind, I checked out "The League" and was really surprised. I ended up watching all six episodes. It's really, really good.

I've said this before but, part of me dies every time I see the DVD cover in Best Buy and humanity is lessened due to this movie's very existence.
And for that matter, Terror Firmer.

It's Lars von Trier. Of course I haven't.

Took in a good WW2 flick "The Train" with Burt Lancaster. from 1964 Guess it's based on historical fact regarding the French Resistance near the end of WW2.

Another obscure (I think) WWII based movie that I thought was pretty good was The Man Who Never Was.

British Intelligence during World War II is trying to get the German High Command to shift it's forces away from Italy prior to the invasion. To create the illusion of a plan for England to invade Greece a dead body is to be procured, allowed to be found with secret papers on him by Spanish authorities who will send the papers on to the Germans, or that's the plan. First they have to find a body that will look drowned, and create an identity for him that will pass the examination of the German agent who is sure to check him out. Based on a true story.

Carriers...pretty good movie, kind of post-apocalyptic about some disease thats spread across the country and people try to stray from becoming infected. A cool thing about it is it has a zombie movie vibe to it, but doesnt have zombies, negative is that they dont exactly explain everything. Starts off kind of slow, but the dialogue is solid throughout and running at about 80 minutes definitely helps it out. If it was 2 hours it wouldve been less enjoyable IMO.

Watched Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead this morning. Extremely motivating to get me to get myself in better shape. I am seriously considering an extended juice fast starting in a few weeks. At best, I drop some weight, get healthier. At the worst, would make for a good thread.

http://money.cnn.com/2011/07/08/technology/netflix_starz_contract/?hpt=hp_p1&iref=NS1

Netflix's vanished Sony films are an ominous sign

Netflix relies on licensing deals to stock its on-demand offerings -- and the cost of those deals is about to skyrocket.

NEW YORK (CNNMoney) -- In the not so distant past, Netflix was known mainly for its red envelopes. The DVD-rental-by-mail service was the company's core, and streaming video was a side perk for subscribers.

Fast forward to 2011, and online movies and TV couldn't be hotter. Google, Amazon, Hulu and others have jumped into the fray -- putting studios in the power position. They want to be paid more for the content they're providing.

That spells trouble for Netflix's streaming content costs.

"Netflix has another year or two on most of these contracts, and then the game completely changes," says Michael Pachter, analyst at Wedbush Securities.

Pachter predicts Netflix's streaming content licensing costs will rise from $180 million in 2010 to a whopping $1.98 billion in 2012.

When streaming video was new, Netflix was able to secure contracts with the likes of Warner Bros. Studios and MTV to license big TV and film catalogues for about $5 million to $10 million per year. This time around, Pachter says, those costs could increase more than tenfold.

"The content owners realize they can't give Netflix all the leverage," he says. "Netflix had the power when they were the only bidder. But you don't have as much leverage when you suddenly have competition."

Netflix expands to 43 new countries

Netflix subscribers got a taste of the studios' new hardball approach last month, when hundreds of Sony (SNE) movies -- including high-profile titles like "The Social Network" and "Salt" -- abruptly vanished from Netflix's "watch now" catalog.

In a blog post, Netflix pinned the blame on a "temporary contract issue" between Sony and Starz, a pay cable network that licenses Sony's movie catalog. Back in 2008, Netflix struck a four-year deal with Starz that gave it streaming access to Starz' offerings.

But Starz' deal with Sony included a cap on the number of subscribers who can watch Sony movies online, a source told the LA Times. Once Netflix' audience exceeded the cap, the contract was null. Starz' catalog of Disney movies available for online streaming is on the verge of triggering a similar contractual cap, the newspaper reported.

In a letter to shareholders earlier this year, Netflix called the Starz arrangement "one of our most important deals," because it's one of the few that gives Netflix access to relatively recent films. The deal runs through early 2012, but the Sony/Starz standoff could accelerate the renewal talks.

"Studios are starting to put their foot down," says ThinkEquity senior analyst Atul Bagga. "They weren't paying attention to streaming at all, but now they see an opportunity to monetize. And they're going to take it."

That's a big threat to Netflix. On the other hand, the company has the money and motivation to spend more to keep its rapidly growing subscriber base happy.

"The cost of content is going to go up, no doubt about it," Bagga says. "It's going to come down to who has the ability and the willingness to write big checks. Netflix is probably the one to do it."

Netflix (NFLX) had a $161 million profit last year on sales of $2.2 billion, and it ended last quarter with $342 million in cash on hand.

But Netflix's rivals have much larger bigger wallets. At the end of the first quarter, Amazon (AMZN, Fortune 500) had almost $7 billion in cash, and Google (GOOG, Fortune 500) had a whopping $37 billion.

In another bit of uncertainty, Netflix's most direct competitor, Hulu, is on the block. Walt Disney Co. (DIS, Fortune 500) Chief Executive Robert Iger said at a conference last week that Hulu's owners -- who include Disney -- are "committed to selling" it. The list of interested potential buyers includes Google, Microsoft (MSFT, Fortune 500), Amazon, Yahoo (YHOO, Fortune 500) and nearly every other tech giant, plus telecoms like AT&T (T, Fortune 500) and Verizon (VZ, Fortune 500). Landing Hulu would give any of them a strong beachhead for challenging Netflix.

Right now, no one else has cracked the code. Netflix's global subscriber base grew almost 70% over the past year, to 23.6 million users. In contrast, Google's movie offerings on YouTube and Amazon's streaming catalog are still new and fairly paltry compared with Netflix's arsenal.

"Netflix is the first and the biggest," Bagga says. "In a broad sense, the rivals aren't competing with each other. Everyone is competing with Netflix."

But if this turns into a clash of titans, Netflix is still a small player battling much larger and richer giants.

"Netflix is merely a conduit," Pachter says. "Of all the people who want to be in the business -- Google, Amazon -- they're smaller by far. The big boys will take share of subscribers, or bid up the cost of content. Either way, Netflix loses."

Last edited by a moderator:
'Bogart said:
Watched Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead this morning. Extremely motivating to get me to get myself in better shape. I am seriously considering an extended juice fast starting in a few weeks. At best, I drop some weight, get healthier. At the worst, would make for a good thread.
It does LINK

'Not Sure said:
http://money.cnn.com/2011/07/08/technology/netflix_starz_contract/?hpt=hp_p1&iref=NS1

Netflix's vanished Sony films are an ominous sign

Netflix relies on licensing deals to stock its on-demand offerings -- and the cost of those deals is about to skyrocket.

NEW YORK (CNNMoney) -- In the not so distant past, Netflix was known mainly for its red envelopes. The DVD-rental-by-mail service was the company's core, and streaming video was a side perk for subscribers.

Fast forward to 2011, and online movies and TV couldn't be hotter. Google, Amazon, Hulu and others have jumped into the fray -- putting studios in the power position. They want to be paid more for the content they're providing.

That spells trouble for Netflix's streaming content costs.

"Netflix has another year or two on most of these contracts, and then the game completely changes," says Michael Pachter, analyst at Wedbush Securities.

Pachter predicts Netflix's streaming content licensing costs will rise from $180 million in 2010 to a whopping $1.98 billion in 2012.

When streaming video was new, Netflix was able to secure contracts with the likes of Warner Bros. Studios and MTV to license big TV and film catalogues for about $5 million to $10 million per year. This time around, Pachter says, those costs could increase more than tenfold.

"The content owners realize they can't give Netflix all the leverage," he says. "Netflix had the power when they were the only bidder. But you don't have as much leverage when you suddenly have competition."

Netflix expands to 43 new countries

Netflix subscribers got a taste of the studios' new hardball approach last month, when hundreds of Sony (SNE) movies -- including high-profile titles like "The Social Network" and "Salt" -- abruptly vanished from Netflix's "watch now" catalog.

In a blog post, Netflix pinned the blame on a "temporary contract issue" between Sony and Starz, a pay cable network that licenses Sony's movie catalog. Back in 2008, Netflix struck a four-year deal with Starz that gave it streaming access to Starz' offerings.

But Starz' deal with Sony included a cap on the number of subscribers who can watch Sony movies online, a source told the LA Times. Once Netflix' audience exceeded the cap, the contract was null. Starz' catalog of Disney movies available for online streaming is on the verge of triggering a similar contractual cap, the newspaper reported.

In a letter to shareholders earlier this year, Netflix called the Starz arrangement "one of our most important deals," because it's one of the few that gives Netflix access to relatively recent films. The deal runs through early 2012, but the Sony/Starz standoff could accelerate the renewal talks.

"Studios are starting to put their foot down," says ThinkEquity senior analyst Atul Bagga. "They weren't paying attention to streaming at all, but now they see an opportunity to monetize. And they're going to take it."

That's a big threat to Netflix. On the other hand, the company has the money and motivation to spend more to keep its rapidly growing subscriber base happy.

"The cost of content is going to go up, no doubt about it," Bagga says. "It's going to come down to who has the ability and the willingness to write big checks. Netflix is probably the one to do it."

Netflix (NFLX) had a $161 million profit last year on sales of $2.2 billion, and it ended last quarter with $342 million in cash on hand.

But Netflix's rivals have much larger bigger wallets. At the end of the first quarter, Amazon (AMZN, Fortune 500) had almost $7 billion in cash, and Google (GOOG, Fortune 500) had a whopping $37 billion.

In another bit of uncertainty, Netflix's most direct competitor, Hulu, is on the block. Walt Disney Co. (DIS, Fortune 500) Chief Executive Robert Iger said at a conference last week that Hulu's owners -- who include Disney -- are "committed to selling" it. The list of interested potential buyers includes Google, Microsoft (MSFT, Fortune 500), Amazon, Yahoo (YHOO, Fortune 500) and nearly every other tech giant, plus telecoms like AT&T (T, Fortune 500) and Verizon (VZ, Fortune 500). Landing Hulu would give any of them a strong beachhead for challenging Netflix.

Right now, no one else has cracked the code. Netflix's global subscriber base grew almost 70% over the past year, to 23.6 million users. In contrast, Google's movie offerings on YouTube and Amazon's streaming catalog are still new and fairly paltry compared with Netflix's arsenal.

"Netflix is the first and the biggest," Bagga says. "In a broad sense, the rivals aren't competing with each other. Everyone is competing with Netflix."

But if this turns into a clash of titans, Netflix is still a small player battling much larger and richer giants.

"Netflix is merely a conduit," Pachter says. "Of all the people who want to be in the business -- Google, Amazon -- they're smaller by far. The big boys will take share of subscribers, or bid up the cost of content. Either way, Netflix loses."
It will be interesting. Right now, Netflix is winning with deals on XBox, PS3 and Wii to have an app available for free. Will the Google or Amazon delivery systems offer the same? Ultimately, things don't last forever. Someone out there will offer an alternative. Netflix has a good leg up in that they have an established marketshare. It will take something better for most of those subscribers to move.

Watched Hot Tub Time Machine last night.

I was surprised how much I enjoyed it and how funny it was. Will rewatch it again soon, lots of subtle jokes about the 80's in there.

I was surprised how much I enjoyed it and how funny it was. Will rewatch it again soon, lots of subtle jokes about the 80's in there.
I saw it in the theater when it came out and I was also suprised at how funny it was. I was expecting soemthing completely assinine with a name like that but they pulled it off as a realistic comedy... about a bunch of dudes going back in time after a drunken binge in a hot tub.

I watched this last week as well. The beginning was a little slow for me, but once they went into the hot tub the movie was pretty funny.

Mesrine: Killer Instinct

Mesrine: Public Enemy #1

Two 5 star, must see flicks, fantasic films. :thumbup:

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

Very good flick, good suspense, going to watch the second of the trio, The Girl Who Played with Fire ASAP :thumbup: :popcorn:

High Plains DrifterBecause you enjoyed: National Lampoon's Animal HouseMad Max 2: The Road WarriorBecause you enjoyed: National Lampoon's VacationThe JerkBecause you enjoyed: Full Metal Jacket
:confusedAnd Wallace & Gromit must be the coolest kid's show ever...
Wallace & Gromit: Three Amazing AdventuresBecause you enjoyed: Being John Malkovich, Raising Arizona, Fargo

High Plains DrifterBecause you enjoyed: National Lampoon's Animal HouseMad Max 2: The Road WarriorBecause you enjoyed: National Lampoon's VacationThe JerkBecause you enjoyed: Full Metal Jacket
:confusedAnd Wallace & Gromit must be the coolest kid's show ever...
Wallace & Gromit: Three Amazing AdventuresBecause you enjoyed: Being John Malkovich, Raising Arizona, Fargo
Completely the same. Not sure where the problem is. Here's a few.
The Crow Because you enjoyed: Clerks Full Metal Jacket Because you enjoyed: Office Space

I'm always surprised to see bad reviews of this movie. I got exactly what I expected: a dumb comedy :shrug:

Anyone else watch Dimitri Martin: Interesting Things. I have it on my instant. If nothings on, and I don't want to watch a movie, I have been throwing these on every now and then. I like the show, but it is definitely different.

I watched The Sorcerer's Apprentice. I liked it. I am a cage fan, and I like the guy that played the apprentice too. I think he was in She's Out of My League. Plenty 'o cheese, and a sappy love story. My favorite.

Anyone else watch Dimitri Martin: Interesting Things. I have it on my instant. If nothings on, and I don't want to watch a movie, I have been throwing these on every now and then. I like the show, but it is definitely different.

I watched The Sorcerer's Apprentice. I liked it. I am a cage fan, and I like the guy that played the apprentice too. I think he was in She's Out of My League. Plenty 'o cheese, and a sappy love story. My favorite.
My son really likes The Sorcerer's Apprentice and I never mind when he has it on. Much better than a lot of things he wants to watch.I think Dimitri Martin is really, really funny. I could see where he could be polarizing and some people hate him, but I think he is one of the funniest people going.

The Fighter is streaming.
Didnt stream it, but got it from Netflix and watched it last weekend. Loved it, besides Inception, my favorite film easily of 2010 (seen Social Network, True Grit, TS3). Bale was great in American Psycho and The Machinist, but he takes it to another level here. Melissa Leo and Amy Adams also do good work.

I'm always surprised to see bad reviews of this movie. I got exactly what I expected: a dumb comedy :shrug:
I'm in the same boat. I recommended this movie to many friends who thought it was bad. I really liked it and thought it was well done. I probably watched too many Cusack movies as a kid. They did a good job recreating the look of all those old 80's movies like "Better Off Dead". Rob Corddry and Clark Duke made me laugh.

Didnt stream it, but got it from Netflix and watched it last weekend. Loved it, besides Inception, my favorite film easily of 2010 (seen Social Network, True Grit, TS3). Bale was great in American Psycho and The Machinist, but he takes it to another level here. Melissa Leo and Amy Adams also do good work.
Man, I really am in the minority I guess, but I did not like The Fighter at all. I mean, Bale did a great job, especially once you see the real brother at the end, but the movie itself just seemed like one big overdone stereotype.

Eddie Izzard is streaming now. Dress to kill is one of his better stand up acts. Comedy is obviously subjective but I think he's hillarious.

I'm in the same boat. I recommended this movie to many friends who thought it was bad. I really liked it and thought it was well done. I probably watched too many Cusack movies as a kid. They did a good job recreating the look of all those old 80's movies like "Better Off Dead". Rob Corddry and Clark Duke made me laugh.
Cordery stole the show in that movie. He was great. I was also pleasantly suprised by it.

I thought it was on par with any number of recent successful comedies like Knocked Up or The Hangover.

Man, I really am in the minority I guess, but I did not like The Fighter at all. I mean, Bale did a great job, especially once you see the real brother at the end, but the movie itself just seemed like one big overdone stereotype.
Im a big boxing fan, so maybe Im the wrong judge, but I really got sucked into all the characters. Marky Mark is his usual, but Bale, Leo, Adams etc were all great I thought.

Im a big boxing fan, so maybe Im the wrong judge, but I really got sucked into all the characters. Marky Mark is his usual, but Bale, Leo, Adams etc were all great I thought.
:shrug: I'm a big boxing fan as well. Ward-Gatti fights were epic.

Sex Drive is another really good comedy that has some bits from Clark Duke. I thought it would be terrible but it's hysterical.

:shrug: I'm a big boxing fan as well. Ward-Gatti fights were epic.
As a fan, I was surprised the Ward-Gatti trilogy was barely recognized

I often come to things late, long after everybody else knows.

Anyhow, I never watched the show 24. It looked interesting, and I liked what I read about the concept, but whatever night it was on (Sunday?) wasn't a good night for me and I didn't have DVR when it started. By the time I did have DVR, I was already busy recording other shows and never got around to it.

So now I'm watching it, because all 8 seasons are on Netflix. I'm about 60% through season 1. What a great show! What a great concept! In many ways, I'm glad I waited, because it's like watching a 24 hr suspense movie rather than an episodic TV show. It's very addictive and I'm sure I'll end up watching all 8 seasons. The acting, action, suspense, surprises are all first rate. I hope it stays at this high quality.

I often come to things late, long after everybody else knows.Anyhow, I never watched the show 24. It looked interesting, and I liked what I read about the concept, but whatever night it was on (Sunday?) wasn't a good night for me and I didn't have DVR when it started. By the time I did have DVR, I was already busy recording other shows and never got around to it.So now I'm watching it, because all 8 seasons are on Netflix. I'm about 60% through season 1. What a great show! What a great concept! In many ways, I'm glad I waited, because it's like watching a 24 hr suspense movie rather than an episodic TV show. It's very addictive and I'm sure I'll end up watching all 8 seasons. The acting, action, suspense, surprises are all first rate. I hope it stays at this high quality.
I got about 6 episodes in recently after avoiding it the entire time it was on air. I just couldn't get into it. Also, the ticking clock noise gets to you after just a short time, they probably could have left that off the dvds and episodes.

Users who are viewing this thread