What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Study says: "Go with your gut" (1 Viewer)

Brock Middlebrook

Footballguy
http://www.nature.com/news/2006/060213/full/060213-9.html

snippet

The best way to make a tough decision is to put your feet up and think about something else. So says an investigation of people shopping for cars, clothes and furniture.

Many people assume that the best way to tackle a difficult choice is to list the pros and cons and ponder them deeply. Others believe we do better to sleep on it, leaving the decision-making to our unconscious, or intuition.
:popcorn:

I often go with my gut, and I end up usually liking my team after the draft. It makes it easier on the soul. Too bad I didn't make my fantasy playoffs the last two years. ;)

Going with your gut should only be used after analyzing everything thoroughly and your decision is very very close between two players.

I consult my gut. If my gut and my head disagree, I usually try to dig up more data to reconcile the two. The result is that sometimes I find that my "gut" is justified by the deeper analysis.

In the end, I go with my head and ride the numbers, but my gut has many times warned my head to look at it differently.

This has been successful for me.

FF is one of the (if not the) most over-analyzed things I've ever seen. Nothing wrong with a skimming of stats here and there, but anything more is IMO a hideous waste of time (during the summer months no less). It's more of an art than a science. Easily.

I often go with my gut, and I end up usually liking my team after the draft. It makes it easier on the soul. Too bad I didn't make my fantasy playoffs the last two years. ;)

Going with your gut should only be used after analyzing everything thoroughly and your decision is very very close between two players.
Too bad we can't figure out a way to teach that.

http://www.nature.com/news/2006/060213/full/060213-9.html

snippet

The best way to make a tough decision is to put your feet up and think about something else. So says an investigation of people shopping for cars, clothes and furniture.

Many people assume that the best way to tackle a difficult choice is to list the pros and cons and ponder them deeply. Others believe we do better to sleep on it, leaving the decision-making to our unconscious, or intuition.
:popcorn:
It's a pay site, I was going to read the rest. Oh well.The point is simple, it has to be a difficult choice first, which implies relatively equal values. Which in turn implies some analysis before going with your gut.

I agree completely with it, you need the info first, then if things are equal, go with the choice that "feels right".

Users who are viewing this thread