What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Super Bowl 49 discussion thread: Seahawks vs Patriots (Poll added) (1 Viewer)

Who do you think will win?

• Seahawks

Votes: 118 41.5%
  • Patriots

Votes: 166 58.5%

• Total voters
You have to wonder if Lynch being selfish in not talking to the media had an unconscious effect on the playcall there. if he was a non-controversial guy maybe they say no way we can't put the ball in his hands. Instead he's a hassle to have in the locker room and something deep down says go another way with the big play.
Oh. Come. On.
Game of inches. Like Belichick says, do your job.

Props to carroll for owning that call.

Personally i think it was a great call - use up all the clock them take your shot. if it's incomplete, you still have all your time left and a timeout for lynch to run. If you run it you only get three more plays and youre forced to go for three passes in a row because the clock is ticking. But if you pass on first you give yourself an extra shot.

I also think that was belichicks motive for letting the clock run. He wanted to bait them into the pass and it worked.

Just an incredible chess match to watch.
It was 2nd down and they had 1 TO, so not following you there.
if you run and don't make it you have to use your t.o. then you cant afford to run again until fourth down. if you pass and don't make it you can do either. that's why he threw it. You want flexibility on every play to put maximum pressure on the defense.
There is probably some truth to this. Still, I just think Sea was playing the matchup given. They had to score. It didn't matter if they scored there or on the next 2 downs. When you have to score a TD, you can't really afford to be picky about when and how you do. Especially in those circumstances. You just try and call the plays that favor you most to do so. In a 3 WR set vs GL D, throwing favors you. They just got beat by a DB making a tremendous play.

captain_amazing said:
WE WON BAE!!!
No ... this is a true case of a team losing the game.No team actually won the game today but the pats get the trophy by default because Seattle lost it
Oh, please. Accept the loss and move on. Stop making excuses. The Patriots won it with a great interception and were the REAL winners.

Teams blow games out of their ### all the time. This isn't some new phenomenon.
Yeah the NFC championship game is a perfect example of this.
:goodposting:

Exactly. My tears have dried up and I've moved on. ;)

Personally i think it was a great call - use up all the clock them take your shot. if it's incomplete, you still have all your time left and a timeout for lynch to run. If you run it you only get three more plays and youre forced to go for three passes in a row because the clock is ticking. But if you pass on first you give yourself an extra shot.

I also think that was belichicks motive for letting the clock run. He wanted to bait them into the pass and it worked.

if you run and don't make it you have to use your t.o. then you cant afford to run again until fourth down. if you pass and don't make it you can do either. that's why he threw it. You want flexibility on every play to put maximum pressure on the defense.
That formation was bunched so tight that there was a really ridiculously small window, by design. They should've gone read option because Russell would've had the option to chuck it out of bounds. Just a crazy call to dial up that formation. Brady would been checking to a QB sneak (unless Thatold Simon was in the slot).

timschochet said:
dgreen said:
timschochet said:
That was like a great movie with a horrible ending. So much fun, so exciting while you're watching it, but the ending ruins everything. Worst Superbowl ending ever.
What?
The good guys were going to win. The evil cheaters were going to go down. It was all set up that way. It was going to be a glorious Hollywood ending. But they screwed it up.It's as if Luke Skywalker got blown up by the Death Star. The movie is ruined.
The Seahawks are the good guys? Do we even hang out on the same footballguys.com forum?

If Lynch gets the ball on the 1 to win the SB he scores on 2nd down, 3rd down, and 4th down, and you could run that play 50 more times and he scores every time.

It doesnt matter what the matchups said, the scheme or anything else. Football is a game of inches and no one is better equipped to get you 36 inches than the guy they had lined up that didnt get the ball.

With Lynch at RB, I don't see how you can defend that play call. By the way, Wilson is complete class after the game. Dude just knows how to handle himself.

That formation was bunched so tight that there was a really ridiculously small window, by design. They should've gone read option because Russell would've had the option to chuck it out of bounds. Just a crazy call to dial up that formation. Brady would been checking to a QB sneak (unless Thatold Simon was in the slot).
Why couldn't Wilson have thrown it away in the play called? It was essentially a 1 read play. Once it was clear Butler wasn't getting picked and is jumping the route he should have just chucked it out of the end zone.

If Lynch gets the ball on the 1 to win the SB he scores on 2nd down, 3rd down, and 4th down, and you could run that play 50 more times and he scores every time.

It doesnt matter what the matchups said, the scheme or anything else. Football is a game of inches and no one is better equipped to get you 36 inches than the guy they had lined up that didnt get the ball.
Patriots are not a good team short yardage against the run. Easy call every time. Hawks got cute and cost them a Lombardi

Football is a game of matchups, that lead to the inches and yds you need.

If a run is 60% likely to score and a pass 40%, you're better off running. No question. But if your choice is between two runs, or a pass and two runs, then you call a pass first. Because if you run first, you have to call a pass next or risk only getting two plays.

And if a pass on THAT down is more like 60% (because everyone expects a run), and only 40% on the following down (when you know its coming because they can't stop the clock again), then passing is the obvious choice. Its just good coaching.

And knowing all that, the pats were ready for the pass.

It's going to be quake forever, but I think it's good coaching on both sides.

No players in the league matches up well enough to keep Lynch and thatvline from getting that yard. Thats the only matchup that matters.

If a run is 60% likely to score and a pass 40%, you're better off running. No question. But if your choice is between two runs, or a pass and two runs, then you call a pass first. Because if you run first, you have to call a pass next or risk only getting two plays.

And if a pass on THAT down is more like 60% (because everyone expects a run), and only 40% on the following down (when you know its coming because they can't stop the clock again), then passing is the obvious choice. Its just good coaching.

Interesting. It'll take me a while to digest all that...

Lynch picked up the yardage 85% of the time this year, and the Pats gave it up 81% of the time. It's a terrible call.

Why Carroll threw the ball I'll never know but that has to be one of the worst calls in NFL history. You easily led the NFL in rushing this year, why you wouldn't run is mind-boggling.

Just rewatched the Kearse butt catch. After he makes it, instead of heading to the goal line he made a quick turn to the sideline (obviously to kill the clock). If he goes for the end zone, maybe he gets a yard or two and Lynch scores on the next play instead of just getting down to the one...

That actually makes some sense. That last play occurred with only 25 seconds left. And that's why Belichek didn't call a time out.

With that said, you better be damn sure you don't throw an INT there. But i guess everything's happening so fast. Another reason Belichek didn't call a timeout.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just rewatched the Kearse butt catch. After he makes it, instead of heading to the goal line he made a quick turn to the sideline (obviously to kill the clock). If he goes for the end zone, maybe he gets a yard or two and Lynch scores on the next play instead of just getting down to the one...
maybe....juuuust maybe

The NFL and GODell don't want the Patriots winning the game because they've had enough scandal this year. The fix is in. Bet freely on the Hawks
I have been trying to tell these Knuckleheaded Pat fans..... Im not a seahawk fan but the fix is in... Hawks Will win, already determined. Bet freely and put all your money on the hawks.... You guys act like you don't want free money. Hawks are winning the game. BOOK IT. Been talking to bookies in Vegas for a while now and have some inside sources.... Hawks Already Won the game Fakkits..... quit your #####in.......
How'd that work out for ya?

That actually makes some sense. That last play occurred with only 25 seconds left. And that's why Belichek didn't call a time out.
Nope there was almost a minute left after Lynch was tackled on 1st down. Seattle let 25 seconds or so run off the clock as they were lining up.

No players in the league matches up well enough to keep Lynch and thatvline from getting that yard. Thats the only matchup that matters.
Saw this on twitter. Not sure if it is accurate:

Marshawn Lynch ran the ball from the 1 yard line 5 times this season. 1 TD, 2 runs for no gain, 2 runs for a loss.

Unsurprisingly I won the same amount of money with a Pats win as I did from the prop about whether Katy Perry would show cleavage.

Why Carroll threw the ball I'll never know but that has to be one of the worst calls in NFL history. You easily led the NFL in rushing this year, why you wouldn't run is mind-boggling.
I cannot imagine Lynch not gaining a yard there.
He would have had three shots at it, just stupid. Seahawks deserved to lose but I hate games decided by coaches. Had the Pats held, I'd have been fine with the outcome. Great play by the Pats defender too, really tough play...but it shouldn't have come to that.

Marshawn Lynch ran the ball from the 1 yard line 5 times this season. 1 TD, 2 runs for no gain, 2 runs for a loss.
Stop bringing facts into this when all the know-it-alls are talking out of their a@@es

He also ran for no gain on his only other carry in this game with a yd to go. 3 n 1 at the 8 where they settled for a FG.

He would have had three shots at it, just stupid. Seahawks deserved to lose but I hate games decided by coaches. Had the Pats held, I'd have been fine with the outcome. Great play by the Pats defender too, really tough play...but it shouldn't have come to that.
only two shots. they had 1 timeout, 25 seconds left.

Why couldn't Wilson have thrown it away in the play called? It was essentially a 1 read play. Once it was clear Butler wasn't getting picked and is jumping the route he should have just chucked it out of the end zone.
The call was a bunch formation quick hit. Think of how many things can go wrong there. It's designed to make a split second decision; but they really had a bit more time than that. Check to an option and just extend the play and throw it away if there's nothing there. Or hand it to the guy the eats up large chunks of grass routinely late in the game. The call was just bad; but so was Russell's read.

Stop bringing facts into this when all the know-it-alls are talking out of their a@@es
The smart play is still to run it 3 times with Lynch. Just found that stat hard to believe. Of course, I'm sure it ignores the runs from the 2 yard line and 3 yard line. Cherry picked stat maybe.

Well officiated game btw
you can tell by how fast the game moved along...no flags every other play
I'm very critical of NFL officiating in general, but this was one of the best called games I've ever seen. Let them play, call the obvious, that's how it should be.
They stayed out of the way.....only game changer I can think of was the defender falling down that intentionally tripped Lockette I think leading to a punt.

These whole two weeks. Such a rollercoaster. Deflategate had me ping ponging around. All Vegas picking against the Pats. I was so scared the offense would plow into the mud.

Hats off to special teams by the way. Solid, solid day.

Yeah everyone's wrong on this...great play call.

only two shots. they had 1 timeout, 25 seconds left.
Nah, you can run and hurry up. I'm guessing a play action on third down would have been called, which is in Seattle's arsenal. What they called is something they rarely ever call in that scenario, making it that much more frustrating.

Lynch picked up the yardage 85% of the time this year, and the Pats gave it up 81% of the time. It's a terrible call.
Ok, call it 80%. But when the pats play run, they must stop it at a slightly better clip, right? So if you run into their run d, maybe you convert less than 80% of the time. But if you run into their pass d, you convert slightly better than 80%. same thing if you pass into a pass d or pass into a run d. On that down, the patriots were "supposed to be" in a run d. your odds of converting a pass there were better than average.

But if they had run it and failed, they would have had to use thwir last time out. And now they have to pass on the following down because if they don't, the game might be over before you get another shot.

so while i agree that the run is a higher percentage play, if you don't convert the run, you get a low percentage pass play and then all your chips are in on fourth down.

So while I agree that the run is the higher percentage play in a vacuum, I still think the pass made sense. Kudos to the pats for figuring it out and stopping it.

Users who are viewing this thread