What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Super Bowl LIV Discussion Thread - 49ers vs Chiefs (1 Viewer)

Does anyone think Damien Williams should have gotten the MVP?

100+ rush

2 TDs in the 4th when they needed it most? 
Absolutely. But he's not the young face of the league for the next decade. NFL is trying to handcraft Mahomes legend as much as they can because they see billions with this kid. They're going to strap on every award they can until he retires. They want a new Brady.

I guess I just think that maybe his ceiling is above Brees.   :shrug:    That’s a bold statement but  I actually think people are underestimating just how great Mahomes is going to be.
I think he’ll be great for a long time. I’ve seen the gate swing both ways ... remember what the expectations were for Dan Marino circa 1985? Just wouldn’t want to take Mahomes for granted.

I think he’ll be great for a long time. I’ve seen the gate swing both ways ... remember what the expectations were for Dan Marino circa 1985? Just wouldn’t want to take Mahomes for granted.
Yup it won’t be easy but in my opinion his ceiling is best QB ever.  He has everything - talent, leadership, maturity and coaching.  In his entire career he has only had one game that could be classified as “bad”.

Watching postgame interviews and the blonde must be Hunt’s wife. She was about to pull a muscle trying to strain to get into the background during his interview.

Having a QB that outperforms his contract is probably the most important factor in winning Superbowls in the salary cap era.  Having a QB on a cheap deal (especially a rookie deal) just allows you to completely flip the pay-structure of the team and afford luxuries that other teams can't. There's a reason that the Seahawks first window closed once they weren't paying Wilson $500k a year anymore (obviously other factors as well, the secondary got injured/expensive as well).

Brady has basically NEVER been paid as an all-time great QB (or if he was, it wasn't for very long) , which has allowed New England to pay other guys and sign the occasionally big $$ free agent even though they already had a stacked roster.

Once Mahomes gets PAID, the window starts to close.  As incredible as he is, it will be extremely hard to keep winning titles once he's making $40 Mil a year.  The difference between 30 and 40 probably means losing 2-3 starting caliber players at other positions.

With the avalanche of endorsements that are about to come his way (not like he's not making a ton already, but now it will probably be Peyton Manning level) he'd be REALLY smart not to push for absolute top dollar. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Shanahan thought banking those 1st half Timeouts for the 2nd half was going to be the difference maker. Then he was informed that he doesn't get to carry them in to the 2nd half.

:lmao:  Dude is a disaster in the SB.

hats off to the chiefs for the victory... Game flow was going along w/ my prediction until the 4th quarter when the niners simply couldn't hold on to the lead. In the end the niners simply couldn't hold onto the ball and gave Mahomes too many chances. So close, but so far away.

Shanahan thought banking those 1st half Timeouts for the 2nd half was going to be the difference maker. Then he was informed that he doesn't get to carry them in to the 2nd half.

:lmao:  Dude is a disaster in the SB.
Not sure who is a bigger loser, him or Shawn McVeigh. 

Shanahan is a moron.  1:35-1:40, 2 timeouts at the end of the 1st half.  You have to know KC a) can score and b) exploded in the 2H of both of their previous playoff games.  Defenses wear out from the speed/motion.  SF has to put up points as often as they can.

KC was aggressive on offense, going for it on 4th down multiple times.  Won the game

SF was scared as ####, lost the game

I feel like they should have run the ball more in that 4th quarter up 10.  Lot of second guessing (rightfully so)
I get the thinking but KC sold out on the run late.  I remember on first down they gave it to Mostert with 10 on the line.  Sure if he busts it he's gone, but that's why play action was working for so long.  At one point Jimmy G was 18-21 or something.  They just didn't make enough plays to win.  Mahomes came up big when it counted and SF didn't.  That includes Jimmy, the O-Line, the defense, etc.  Shanahan ultimately wears it.

Shanahan is a moron.  1:35-1:40, 2 timeouts at the end of the 1st half.  You have to know KC a) can score and b) exploded in the 2H of both of their previous playoff games.  Defenses wear out from the speed/motion.  SF has to put up points as often as they can.

KC was aggressive on offense, going for it on 4th down multiple times.  Won the game

SF was scared as ####, lost the game
If Kittle doesn't get called for that BS PI call they are inside the 10 with 9 seconds left.  They score 3 or 7.

I can't blame this on Shanahan except for one curious decision. 20-17 and they stopped going to Mostert and doing the misdirection WR runs that had been pretty successful, which is why Samuel was kinda quiet in the 2nd half. They seemed to lean more on Jimmy G then to make the right plays out of a more base O instead of following the gameplan of marginalizing him that had worked the whole offseason. If there was one issue I had there, it's not staying with their O and asking Jimmy G to do more when they hadn't all playoffs. Sometimes you have to stay true to your O;  especially when it was working. Keep running the misdirection plays to confuse the edge defenders and run Mostert with your power blocking scheme, especially because running would've killed more clock.

If Kittle doesn't get called for that BS PI call they are inside the 10 with 9 seconds left.  They score 3 or 7.
I've seen a lot of BS PI calls but when see the offensive player extend their elbow fully and you see the defender get pushed back, that's an easy call. I think the worst thing about the play is Kittle didn't need to push off, he had the dude beat.

I agree, that was a weak call.  Even if he does, they still would have had 45-50 seconds to do something if they had called a TO when KC was getting ready to punt.

I can't blame this on Shanahan except for one curious decision. 20-17 and they stopped going to Mostert and doing the misdirection WR runs that had been pretty successful, which is why Samuel was kinda quiet in the 2nd half. They seemed to lean more on Jimmy G then to make the right plays out of a more base O instead of following the gameplan of marginalizing him that had worked the whole offseason. If there was one issue I had there, it's not staying with their O and asking Jimmy G to do more when they hadn't all playoffs. Sometimes you have to stay true to your O;  especially when it was working. Keep running the misdirection plays to confuse the edge defenders and run Mostert with your power blocking scheme, especially because running would've killed more clock.
This is something that puzzles me about Shanny's playcalling when up as well... It seems like being up 2 scores and the defense expecting you to milk the clock is the PERFECT time for playaction, yet he never seems to  do it anymore and instead either calls straight runs or passes from shotgun. Absolutely no idea why.

I've seen a lot of BS PI calls but when see the offensive player extend their elbow fully and you see the defender get pushed back, that's an easy call.
I saw it as normal jostling - happens on most routes.  Not blatant.

I'm not a Niner fan at all but I get why Shanahan was screaming on several calls - or non calls.  On one play KC clearly jumped off side and then there was a late hit 3 yards out of bounds right in front of Shanahan.  Neither called.  Another play Sanders was totally wrapped around with the right arm stopping his post pattern.  No call. I bet offensive PI is called on the Kittle play 5-15% of the time.  

SF seemed to abandon their very successful game plan in the 4th quarter. I found that odd. They came out blazing in the second half, idk what happened after the 3rd quarter. 

KC was accustomed to playing from behind. They seemed to want it more. SF just completely imploded for some reason. 

Jimmy G isn’t the QB you want when you need to score with 2 minutes left. I know that much. He does just enough to not be terrible but he can’t make a play to save his life. 

I saw it as normal jostling - happens on most routes.  Not blatant.

I'm not a Niner fan at all but I get why Shanahan was screaming on several calls - or non calls.  On one play KC clearly jumped off side and then there was a late hit 3 yards out of bounds right in front of Shanahan.  Neither called.  Another play Sanders was totally wrapped around with the right arm stopping his post pattern.  No call. I bet offensive PI is called on the Kittle play 5-15% of the time.  
it was questionable; but Kittle separated vertical space to make the catch.  I've seen worse calls called PI; including one in the Superbowl:  

https://s.hdnux.com/photos/02/42/45/665983/3/920x920.jpg

SF seemed to abandon their very successful game plan in the 4th quarter. I found that odd. They came out blazing in the second half, idk what happened after the 3rd quarter. 

KC was accustomed to playing from behind. They seemed to want it more. SF just completely imploded for some reason. 

Jimmy G isn’t the QB you want when you need to score with 2 minutes left. I know that much. He does just enough to not be terrible but he can’t make a play to save his life. 
Jimmy has made plays all year. You sound like someone who hasn't watched the 49ers until tonight.

Yea dude.  We've seen Jimmy G make plays, but he's no Patrick Mahomes.  And that was the narrative of making Chiefs the favorite and Mahomes won the game accordingly.

Late to this thread so shut me down if it has been mentioned, but at least four times I saw Garoppolo close his eyes as he was about to be hit, including his interception, and his two handed flailing pass late in the game.  I find that a huge negative.

Now we get to see how Kansas City handles prosperity and how the 49ers handle adversity.  

It will be interesting to see if the 49er running game is sustainable next year or if D-Coordinators figure out the window dressing over the off season. 

Losing is disheartening, but the 49ers were better this year than 30 other teams.  A fine season once the sting wears off.

Users who are viewing this thread