What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Superfan Red Zone Channel (1 Viewer)

baconstripdivots

Footballguy
If Radar Dishes (aka Andrew Siciliano, host of the RZC) states at the beginning of the broadcast on Sunday that the RZC is available in standard def on channel 703, and high def on channel 718, why is it that when I tune into channel 703 at 1:00 PM on Sunday that the entire feed and all games are shown in stretched mode in high def?

I've called DirecTV customer service and tech support and they couldn't give me an answer. They did, however, after I started to lose my patience, upgrade my receiver to the latest DTV DVR receiver, which is nice but still did not resolve my issue.

I have a round dish, not an oval HD dish, a standard receiver with DVR, and channel 718 isn't even available in my list, nor should it be. But why am I still receiving a high def feed on what is supposed to be a standard def channel?

Anyone else experiencing this issue, and what if anything did you do to resolve it. The people in customer service and tech support are clueless.

Thanks for any input.

Dave

Are you sure that your TV is not just stretching the SD signal to full-screen mode?
Yep. The feed on channel 703 clearly shows the Red Zone Channel logo in the bottom right of the screen as RZDHD.
I am confused. Do you have a HD set? If so, why do you care about the feed on the SD channel?
baller,Just to clarify, no, I do not have a DirecTV HD Dish, receiver or TV. No HD channels even show up in my channel listings, and I don't expect them to because I have a standard receiver and television.I'm annoyed because I am receiving a high def feed on my standard def system, when it has been clearly stated when tuning into channel 703, which is supposed to be the RZC channel in standard def, I am receiving a high def feed. The Red Zone Channel High Definition logo (RZCHD) is shown throughout the broadcast of all the games, as well as the studio breaks.

baco-

I think it is impossible to get a HD feed with an SD receiver.

If you really want to figure this out, I would suggest you head to avsforum.com & post in the DirecTV forum.

(What you REALLY should do is get an HDTV & HD receiver... :thumbup: )

I have no clue how whats going on, but you gave me a good idea how to get them to upgrade my dvr.
Glad I could help you out, mozzy84. Antelope, if you find a solution to our issue, let me know. I'll do the same for you. Baller, I wish you could come to my house to witness "the impossible". But it's happening. The RZCHD kinda gives it away.

All you're seeing is a simulcast of the RZCHD channel in low-res stretched standard-def. You're certainly not receiving HD on a non-hd tv. In fact, I don't think there is just a standard-def RZC channel. You either watch it in HD or you get what you're seeing (simulcast w/ standard def picture quality).

You are not receiving an HD feed. It may very well say HD on the logo, but that doesn't mean it's actually an HD signal. If you have a standard def TV, it's physically impossible for that TV to resolve an HD signal.

They may very well be simply downconverting their HD broadcast, and sending it out as the standard def signal. Saves money, as they only have to film it in one format. Whatever the case, if you have a standard TV, you're watching a 480i signal. That's all that your TV is capable of showing you.

If their cust service isn't bright enough to figure this out, they probably need some better training.

The problem may be that nearly all of the games this season are shown in HD, only a select few are still shown in SD. As Joe stated in Random Shots this week, that game usually includes the Cleveland Browns.

Does the RZC only show simulcasts of the original broadcast channels? If so, this is probably why you are seeing the "HD" but in actuality you are viewing a SD conversion for channel 703.

I would say you worked this angle to your benefit already and should be happy with that. Although I, like a few of the others above, do not see your issue...how is this affecting you?

Users who are viewing this thread