What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Suspension not allowed IR spot (1 Viewer)

Bri

Footballguy
I know we've discussed this before but....round two or three-
Should you be able to stash a suspended player on IR?

My opinion has always been- I didn't take the drugs or bet on the sport (or whatever the infraction) why am I penalized too?

Others point out the semantics how it is ***injured*** reserve not suspension reserve.

What do you think?

My opinion has always been- I didn't take the drugs or bet on the sport (or whatever the infraction) why am I penalized too?

Others point out the semantics how it is ***injured*** reserve not suspension reserve.

What do you think?
No

To each his own but our league rules limit IR to injured players, and do not allow suspended players. I've been adamant against - even though I've taken my own lumps holding suspended players. That's the knucklehead risk I assume, or I can drop and let him be someone else's roster problem.

Weird how so many think you should pay a penalty for wanting to roster a suspended player. No need to take “injured list” so literally. Leagues that allow options to take players off the active roster as needed are ok in my book.

Depends on the roster size for me. If in a deep IDP dynasty with 51 players, can figure out whether to keep a suspended player or a 7th DB. Shorter rosters, where may impact ability to compete, more open to it.

What do you think?
The "shouldn't be punished for someone else's sins" argument doesn't add up to me. If you own a player who is banned permanently from the NFL for an infraction (or cut and de facto banned because of bad image due to an incident), are you looking for compensation for losing your player? No, that's just how things go. Besides, you're being penalized either way since the guy is suspended.

But overall I really wouldn't have a problem either way. As long as the rule is clear. I'd rather it just be called "reserve" rather than "injured reserve" if suspended players are eligible, though.

Serious question: are NFL teams able to keep suspended players off of their roster? Not active gameday roster, but the full roster, does a suspended guy take up a slot?

I support being able to toss suspended players on IR. Probably because I have a tendency to draft headcases but that's beside the point, or maybe it's not beside the point at all.

i play in a short-ish roster, Keep 13 dynasty league and our IR can be used for IR, Out, Suspended and NA players, but not Doubtful. I love it personally since I’ve been hit by horrible injury luck over the years and appreciate the flexibility since this is supposed to be fun, right?

We have a rule that disallows suspended players on IR if they were suspended when you drafted them(for the whole season.) Players who are suspended while on a roster or a free agent can't be placed on IR until they are held on the regular roster for a week. You could stash a suspended guy on IR but only after you held them on your regular roster for the week the suspension is announced or for the week you claimed them. You can't just get a suspended guy and throw him into an open IR slot. We also have very limited IR slots; like one or two.

Reactions: Bri
Not allowed in the NFL, shouldn't be allowed in Fantasy.
Suspended players don't count as a roster spot in the NFL so if your argument is this should mirror the NFL then you are arguing that suspended players should be eligible to be put on IR in fantasy and not take up a roster spot.
The point of the 53 man roster in the NFL is, ostensibly, related to the safety of players. It makes sense that the NFL doesn't penalize teams for player suspension because it could increase the risk of injury to the other players, not just the penalize the team.

What do you think?
The "shouldn't be punished for someone else's sins" argument doesn't add up to me. If you own a player who is banned permanently from the NFL for an infraction (or cut and de facto banned because of bad image due to an incident), are you looking for compensation for losing your player? No, that's just how things go. Besides, you're being penalized either way since the guy is suspended.

But overall I really wouldn't have a problem either way. As long as the rule is clear. I'd rather it just be called "reserve" rather than "injured reserve" if suspended players are eligible, though.

Serious question: are NFL teams able to keep suspended players off of their roster? Not active gameday roster, but the full roster, does a suspended guy take up a slot?
The NFL has reserve/suspended exception to the roster.
Jamo will be on that. Ridley was on that.

This is different from injured reserve

What do you think?

The NFL has reserve/suspended exception to the roster.
Jamo will be on that. Ridley was on that.

This is different from injured reserve
In that case I guess it would be a pretty good idea to allow it in fantasy. Feels a little weird to me, but no real issue with it.

I remember a lot of people using probable as a designation for IR. "He's on the report!"

Prime Tom Brady probable on IR- cool he's not gonna start him in FF.
Some depth WR that only has potential being probable on IR- grrrr, you weren't going to start him and are just using it to add an extra player that I can't because my roster is full.

A lot a lot a lot of discussion came from these days. We all went to using questionable but soon enough that wasn't satisfactory so we often now only use doubtful or out.

My theory is that, for many, the animosity still lingers from those early days. I just don't see suspension (known not playing) as a debatable triggering issue that people should get worked up over or adamantly put their foot down over. It doesn't match for me.

Maybe I'm wrong....just a theory

I remember a lot of people using probable as a designation for IR. "He's on the report!"

Prime Tom Brady probable on IR- cool he's not gonna start him in FF.
Some depth WR that only has potential being probable on IR- grrrr, you weren't going to start him and are just using it to add an extra player that I can't because my roster is full.

A lot a lot a lot of discussion came from these days. We all went to using questionable but soon enough that wasn't satisfactory so we often now only use doubtful or out.

My theory is that, for many, the animosity still lingers from those early days. I just don't see suspension (known not playing) as a debatable triggering issue that people should get worked up over or adamantly put their foot down over. It doesn't match for me.

Maybe I'm wrong....just a theory
I'm definitely against players just out for a game being put on fantasy IR ... But then my league has a 12-man bench. Some are a lot tighter.

And my 20+ yr league never had an IR. Only 15 roster spots, if you keep them (injured or suspended) it
costs you a roster spot. In 20 years IR was sometimes discussed, but never even brought up for a league vote.
I guess whatever makes your league happy is the best answer.

And my 20+ yr league never had an IR. Only 15 roster spots, if you keep them (injured or suspended) it
costs you a roster spot. In 20 years IR was sometimes discussed, but never even brought up for a league vote.
I guess whatever makes your league happy is the best answer.
Does the league draft in the cafeteria get really loud and bother all the other residents of the old age home?

;)
ps. My main work league is going on 28 years, so I resemble that comment.

Users who are viewing this thread