What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Tannehill's upside (3 Viewers)

Smart move getting Stills - if your deep threat is only going to be a decoy might as have him be cheap.

Last edited by a moderator:
Smart move getting Still - if your deep threat is only going to be a decoy might as have him be cheap.
Which only supports my thought that they may still cut Wallace. Why pay TWO decoys?! If Tannehill could actually throw it deep with accuracy, they would make an impressive duo.

I get that Mike Wallace hasn't played up to his contract, but I don't get why everyone is so down on him. They weren't able to utilize his threat as a deep target, but he still had 10 TDs and at times was making catches like a true WR1 in the end zone. To me he was playing well last season, but his contract and the media focus on their lack of chemistry on the deep ball overshadowed everything.

I get that Mike Wallace hasn't played up to his contract, but I don't get why everyone is so down on him. They weren't able to utilize his threat as a deep target, but he still had 10 TDs and at times was making catches like a true WR1 in the end zone. To me he was playing well last season, but his contract and the media focus on their lack of chemistry on the deep ball overshadowed everything.
I don't think the issue is so much with Wallace himself. It's more that he has a skill set that isn't fully capitalized on. He's basically an expensive luxury Tannehill can't tap into.

I don't think the issue is so much with Wallace himself. It's more that he has a skill set that isn't fully capitalized on. He's basically an expensive luxury Tannehill can't tap into.
Possibly, but I feel the FF community certainly is down on MW. In rankings he's around WR #40 for dyno, and in the most recent DLF dyno adp he was WR #46. He was a mid WR2 last season in PPR, weeks 1-16, and he's 28 years old. I'm not saying that he should be WR20 but 40+ seems low to me.

Someone mentioned it on Twitter at some point last season, can't remember who, that when the public perception sees a player as overpaid it tends to depress the market value in FF of those players - regardless of actual ability and production. It's a bias. If you're a Dolphins fan I can understand the frustration about his contract, but if you're an FF owner it shouldn't matter at all in how you value him.

Edit: I think I need to send out some offers in my win now leagues.

Possibly, but I feel the FF community certainly is down on MW. In rankings he's around WR #40 for dyno, and in the most recent DLF dyno adp he was WR #46. He was a mid WR2 last season in PPR, weeks 1-16, and he's 28 years old. I'm not saying that he should be WR20 but 40+ seems low to me.

Someone mentioned it on Twitter at some point last season, can't remember who, that when the public perception sees a player as overpaid it tends to depress the market value in FF of those players - regardless of actual ability and production. It's a bias. If you're a Dolphins fan I can understand the frustration about his contract, but if you're an FF owner it shouldn't matter at all in how you value him.

Edit: I think I need to send out some offers in my win now leagues.
In this modern pass-happy era he hasn't put up 1000 yards since 2011 despite not really missing any time to injury.

Fantasy-wise, that's not good and the career high touchdowns from last year are much more likely an aberration than the career average yardage.

With the Dolphins signing Cameron and trading for Stills, on top of Landry, Miller and Wallace (if he stays), it seems clear that the Dolphins are building some weapons around Tannehill.

Also considering his running ability, the arrow on Tannehill's FF prospects sure seems to be pointing up big time.
I'm suspecting they signed Stills so they could jettison Wallace. Perhaps they hit a stand still in trying to renegotiate Wallace's contract? If that is the case, does Stills have what it takes to be a #1 WR? And what good is he if Tannehill struggles with the deep ball? Seems that was Stills' bread and butter too.
Looks like they are indeed looking to restructure Wallace, so maybe he stays. A lot has been made of Tannehill's deep ball prowess, but it could just as much be on Wallace as Tannehill.
No. It's not on Wallace. The guy has been running free behind defenders consistently. And Tannehill either misses him when he throws it (badly btw) or does not pull the trigger at all because he has almost zero confidence in his ability to hit the deep pass.He stinks at it. It's bad man....really bad.

I hope and pray he really get's it this season.....or defenses will never have to respect this team going up top...which kills your ability to do things underneath.
Respect your Dolphins takes, but this blame needs to be shared. No doubt Tanne can improve, but my recollection last year was that Wallace was awful tracking deep balls and flat-out quit on some. I never had any confidence he was going to make a play.

zamboni said:
With the Dolphins signing Cameron and trading for Stills, on top of Landry, Miller and Wallace (if he stays), it seems clear that the Dolphins are building some weapons around Tannehill.

Also considering his running ability, the arrow on Tannehill's FF prospects sure seems to be pointing up big time.
I agree. I liked him last season a lot. I traded Peyton for him this offseason and this news is great.

zamboni said:

I agree. I liked him last season a lot. I traded Peyton for him this offseason and this news is great.
It's early, but I would put him near or top of the list of QBs outside the top 10 that might make a big jump to just outside the top brass.

zamboni said:

It's early, but I would put him near or top of the list of QBs outside the top 10 that might make a big jump to just outside the top brass.
He finished 9th overall in my league last year so he's already there. You've got your big 5 then about 12 other QBs who will alternate being ranked QB6-QB17 each year. All finishing within 1-2ppg of each other. I think Tannehill and R Wilson have the best shot of cracking the top 5 once Manning Brady Brees retire.(if ever)

I'm suspecting they signed Stills so they could jettison Wallace. Perhaps they hit a stand still in trying to renegotiate Wallace's contract? If that is the case, does Stills have what it takes to be a #1 WR? And what good is he if Tannehill struggles with the deep ball? Seems that was Stills' bread and butter too.
Looks like they are indeed looking to restructure Wallace, so maybe he stays. A lot has been made of Tannehill's deep ball prowess, but it could just as much be on Wallace as Tannehill.
No. It's not on Wallace. The guy has been running free behind defenders consistently. And Tannehill either misses him when he throws it (badly btw) or does not pull the trigger at all because he has almost zero confidence in his ability to hit the deep pass.He stinks at it. It's bad man....really bad.

I hope and pray he really get's it this season.....or defenses will never have to respect this team going up top...which kills your ability to do things underneath.
Respect your Dolphins takes, but this blame needs to be shared. No doubt Tanne can improve, but my recollection last year was that Wallace was awful tracking deep balls and flat-out quit on some. I never had any confidence he was going to make a play.
Phins homer here who felt exactly the same. Tannehill's long ball accuracy seemed much better throwing to Hartline and Landry.

Rotoworld:

Dolphins VP of football operations Mike Tannenbaum said the team hasn’t decided whether to give Ryan Tannehill an extension.

Tannehill’s value is peaking after he posted career highs in passing yards (4,045) and touchdowns (27). The Dolphins are expected to pick up his fifth-year option, and could make him play out 2015 before giving him a big-money deal. NFL.com’s Ian Rapoport expects Miami to extend Tannehill by Week 1.

Source: Palm Beach Post
Apr 25 - 3:08 PM

This is exactly how I view him.

Parker is a target Tannehill has needed since he came into the league. His first season he had no one to throw to... last season it was Landry and Wallace who only plays when he see's fit. I think they're putting some nice weapons around him and he can show what he can really do this season.

If he doesn't improve... then there's an issue.

He's going to be shooting up draft boards very soon. He was QB9 this year and now just added Stills, Parker, Cameron, and Jennings. Plus still have Landry. A year more comfortable, etc, lots more weapons, he's going to be a trendy pick come August and could end the year as a top 5qb

He has the weapons and a bolstered D as well to give him the ball. He is young, healthy and experienced. You can not ask for more to be able to succeed in this league. How high he goes is all up to him. I see him trying to push into the elite tier (top 5) of QB's this year.

werdnoynek said:
Parker is a target Tannehill has needed since he came into the league. His first season he had no one to throw to... last season it was Landry and Wallace who only plays when he see's fit. I think they're putting some nice weapons around him and he can show what he can really do this season.

If he doesn't improve... then there's an issue.
He's improved every year he's been in the league. Not sure why getting good weapons would halt that trend.

Also, don't forget about his mobility. That's an additional nice value for leagues that reward QB rushing stats.

He's improved every year he's been in the league. Not sure why getting good weapons would halt that trend.
If his year to year progression continues, he's on pace for 4,180 passing yards, 30+ TDs, 10-15 INTs, with a few hundred rushing yards on top.

That's good enough to possibly flirt with the top 5 this year.

If his year to year progression continues, he's on pace for 4,180 passing yards, 30+ TDs, 10-15 INTs, with a few hundred rushing yards on top.

On the positive side, he's in the 2nd year of Lazor's system, as is Landry, Miller and the offensive line. Parker, Cameron, and Stills are all new to the system however. Going to be some timing issues to sort through. Might be some growing pains early in the season. This has the makings of a pretty nice offensive group though.

On the positive side, he's in the 2nd year of Lazor's system, as is Landry, Miller and the offensive line. Parker, Cameron, and Stills are all new to the system however. Going to be some timing issues to sort through. Might be some growing pains early in the season. This has the makings of a pretty nice offensive group though.
Not to mention that it normally takes WR rookies some time to make an impact.

He's going to be shooting up draft boards very soon. He was QB9 this year and now just added Stills, Parker, Cameron, and Jennings. Plus still have Landry. A year more comfortable, etc, lots more weapons, he's going to be a trendy pick come August and could end the year as a top 5qb
This depends on the oline. Miami needs Albert to come back healthy and right now they have two projects projecting into the G position. If they draft a G or a T that can move to G then we may have something. Also, Philly has been shopping Mathis but Miami doesn't want to take on the $$$. All of the AFCE has gotten better up front with the pass rush. The Phins O line needs to be able to block for Tanny to be effective...

How has it not been dubbed the 'Lazor Gun' offense yet?

Anyway, there you go Dolphins fans.

Not to mention that it normally takes WR rookies some time to make an impact.
Sure didn't seem that way last year or in few years before that. Rookie WRs are increasingly coming into the league NFL-ready.

I'm seriously considering tossing Matt Ryan back to the pool for this guy in a TD heavy keeper league. I see a lot more upside. He's surrounded by new toys and he's been making strides every year. I think he has the potential to have a huge year.

I'm seriously considering tossing Matt Ryan back to the pool for this guy in a TD heavy keeper league. I see a lot more upside. He's surrounded by new toys and he's been making strides every year. I think he has the potential to have a huge year.
Miami homer here...I'd pump the brakes on that. Like him, but he has some serious limitations. Here are some of the reasons to NOT do what you are considering:

1. Most importantly...he is not as good of a QB as Matt Ryan. At least not yet.

2. He has one returning receiver from last year (unless you count Rishard Mathews). Stills, Jennings, Parker and Cameron - all good weapons - but all brand new. His one constant (Landry) is only in his second season. Its almost like starting over.

3. While I like his weapons, none of them are Julio Jones, and the combination of all of them do not equal Julio Jones. Im not 100% sure any of them are Roddy White.

4. Still has no guards, and in the AFC East, every opponent has a nasty DL. He is gonna get sacked and face a lot of pressure often again this season.

I like him, and I am optimistic for his future. I could see cutting Andy Dalton or maybe even Eli for him (maybe), but I would pause long and hard before I cut Matt Ryan for him personally.

Miami homer here...I'd pump the brakes on that. Like him, but he has some serious limitations. Here are some of the reasons to NOT do what you are considering:

1. Most importantly...he is not as good of a QB as Matt Ryan. At least not yet.

2. He has one returning receiver from last year (unless you count Rishard Mathews). Stills, Jennings, Parker and Cameron - all good weapons - but all brand new. His one constant (Landry) is only in his second season. Its almost like starting over.

3. While I like his weapons, none of them are Julio Jones, and the combination of all of them do not equal Julio Jones. Im not 100% sure any of them are Roddy White.

4. Still has no guards, and in the AFC East, every opponent has a nasty DL. He is gonna get sacked and face a lot of pressure often again this season.

I like him, and I am optimistic for his future. I could see cutting Andy Dalton or maybe even Eli for him (maybe), but I would pause long and hard before I cut Matt Ryan for him personally.
Yes, I've been a Tanny-fan since early 2013 as I thought he showed some things in the early/mid part of that season that convinced me about his long term potential, but I'd take Matt Ryan over him every single time. I think the ATL offense can be fire under Kyle Shanahan and I think Julio will be a monster this season. I really like the way they're putting weapons around Tannehill but that quick hitting west coast offense isn't ideal for monster fantasy production. Even when they're down by 17 pts you're not going to get those big chunk plays that you want from your FF QB. If you think he'll surpass Ryan you're betting on Tanny putting up pts with his running game.

Looking at PFF projections they have Tannehill ahead of Ryan for this season. Ryan is slightly ahead with passing yds and TDs but Tannehill makes up for that with his rushing yds. I guess that's fair, I'm not going to argue with PFF projections, but to put it this way; I love Tannehill if you picked him up at low QB2 values or lower, but now when you're paying mid/low QB1 prices for him I don't see much upside.

Miami homer here...I'd pump the brakes on that. Like him, but he has some serious limitations. Here are some of the reasons to NOT do what you are considering:1. Most importantly...he is not as good of a QB as Matt Ryan. At least not yet.

Yes, I've been a Tanny-fan since early 2013 as I thought he showed some things in the early/mid part of that season that convinced me about his long term potential, but I'd take Matt Ryan over him every single time. I think the ATL offense can be fire under Kyle Shanahan and I think Julio will be a monster this season. I really like the way they're putting weapons around Tannehill but that quick hitting west coast offense isn't ideal for monster fantasy production. Even when they're down by 17 pts you're not going to get those big chunk plays that you want from your FF QB. If you think he'll surpass Ryan you're betting on Tanny putting up pts with his running game.

Looking at PFF projections they have Tannehill ahead of Ryan for this season. Ryan is slightly ahead with passing yds and TDs but Tannehill makes up for that with his rushing yds. I guess that's fair, I'm not going to argue with PFF projections, but to put it this way; I love Tannehill if you picked him up at low QB2 values or lower, but now when you're paying mid/low QB1 prices for him I don't see much upside.
Thing about Ryan, and last year I picked him up in maybe most of my redraft leagues, is he's had the positive sides listed but still hasn't developed into a top ff qb. Meanwhile, RT has improved despite the negatives and his surrounding talent sure looks improved. I just traded tanny away in the only league I have him but kind of wish I hadn't (wasn't going to trade cam and figured I could downgrade the backup). He's more risky than Matt Ryan but with greater upside.

assume you do have to pay mid/low qb1 prices, who do you think has better upside? Maybe Bridgewater but I'd rather have RT for 2015.

Matt Ryan and Ryan Tannehill have scored basically identical fantasy points the last two years. The difference is that Matt Ryan had an elite receiver for part of that while Tannehill did not, and Matt Ryan has kind of leveled off over the last few years where Tannehill has improved each year.

Heck, in 2012 Matt Ryan had TWO elite receivers AND an elite TE and still topped out at QB7, his career best finish, scoring about 20 more points than Tannehill did this year throwing to a bunch of junk.

Give me two guys putting up basically identical fantasy numbers and I'll take the guy who has done it throwing to a bunch of nobody's but has a whole new class of promising receiving targets coming in. Not the guy who couldn't do more than finish as a middling QB1 when playing in the perfect situation with elite targets all over the field.

Matt Ryan and Ryan Tannehill have scored basically identical fantasy points the last two years. The difference is that Matt Ryan had an elite receiver for part of that while Tannehill did not, and Matt Ryan has kind of leveled off over the last few years where Tannehill has improved each year.

Heck, in 2012 Matt Ryan had TWO elite receivers AND an elite TE and still topped out at QB7, his career best finish, scoring about 20 more points than Tannehill did this year throwing to a bunch of junk.

Give me two guys putting up basically identical fantasy numbers and I'll take the guy who has done it throwing to a bunch of nobody's but has a whole new class of promising receiving targets coming in. Not the guy who couldn't do more than finish as a middling QB1 when playing in the perfect situation with elite targets all over the field.
Touche. Makes sense. I've seen a lot more Tannehill than I have Ryan, and what I see from Tannehill definitely leaves something to be desired (in addition to something to be optimistic about), but the numbers are the numbers and you make good points.

While I agree with this (and drafted Tannehill a ton last year), I'd like to offer a word of caution - Tannehill's rushing stats dropped off a cliff in the second half of the season last year after being on pace for almost 500 rushing yards. I find this very curious because his wheels could be a very effective weapon. I don't know why they went away from that aspect, but hopefully it wasn't an indication of a direction they were going on purpose.

While I agree with this (and drafted Tannehill a ton last year), I'd like to offer a word of caution - Tannehill's rushing stats dropped off a cliff in the second half of the season last year after being on pace for almost 500 rushing yards. I find this very curious because his wheels could be a very effective weapon. I don't know why they went away from that aspect, but hopefully it wasn't an indication of a direction they were going on purpose.
I owned him in a couple of leagues last year as well since I was a fan of drafting him late as part of a QBBC strategy and noticed the same thing. I wonder if it was an injury he was playing with that effected his ability to run or just an adjustment he made to staying in the pocket.

I owned him in a couple of leagues last year as well since I was a fan of drafting him late as part of a QBBC strategy and noticed the same thing. I wonder if it was an injury he was playing with that effected his ability to run or just an adjustment he made to staying in the pocket.
I think the decline was due to defenses adjusting and being more aware of the zone-read option late in the season. Most of the designed runs were zone-read which were very successful for them early in the season, both in terms of letting Tanny loose on the edge and giving Lamar bigger creases between the tackles.

They could easily add more elements like QB draws and roll him out in run-pass options in moving pockets to get him on the move and keep defenses guessing. He's still taking too many hits so they need to move the pocket around and avoid becoming too predictable. But this was only the first year with Lazor so they should come into year two with a bigger repertoire.

He did show up on an injury report one time last year, week 11 vs the Bills. It was the first game after a 2 carry for no gain performance by Tannehill right after a 5 game stretch of between 35 and 50 rushing yards per game. So some injury could be to blame.

For what it's worth, his only rushing TD came the next week.

6 Years $96m. For us mere mortals that's a ridiculous amount of money. But for a starting QB that threw for 4000 yards and accounted for 30 TDs it's actually a decent deal. Less than the Dalton and Kaepernick extensions.

They had him under contract for about $2M this year (plus a cap hit from his signing bonus) and $16M next year. So I guess this is like a 4 year $78M extension, with $19.5M/yr in new money to extend him for 2017-2020.

Native said:
6 Years $96m. For us mere mortals that's a ridiculous amount of money. But for a starting QB that threw for 4000 yards and accounted for 30 TDs it's actually a decent deal. Less than the Dalton and Kaepernick extensions.
Are you sure? Did those guys have multiple years remaining on their deals at the time?

Native said:
Are you sure? Did those guys have multiple years remaining on their deals at the time?
The new money in this contract is $19.25 million per year. According to Over The Cap this is $250k more per year than Kaep, and nearly $10 mill more in guaranteed money. Dalton signed for $16 mill per year with very limited guarantees. The fully guaranteed money percentage were:

Tannehill 27.9%

Kaep 11.4%

Dalton 17.7%

Kaep's contract is a bit different in that there is a series of escaltors and de-escalators as well as health based incentives. But all in all the Tannehill contract seems to be significantly better than what Dalton and Kaep were able to land.

Tannehill already was set to make $18.27M the next two years -- the final season of his rookie contract (2015) and a fifth-year option for 2016 that the Dolphins previously executed (that $16.2M option was guaranteed for injury only at this time).

His new contract calls for $21.5M fully guaranteed at the time of signing (payable over those same two years), according to sources, so that is basically taking a two-year total that was currently only guaranteed for injury only and now making ifully guaranteed and sweetening the pot a little on the front end.

By March of 2016 -- early in the 2016 league year -- Tannehill would have another $3.5M in guaranteed money triggered for the following season.
He's only getting 6.5M more guaranteed than he was scheduled to make on his old deal in 2015/2016.

The Dolphins would pay him $14.475M for the 2017 season
Looks like a favorable contract for the Dolphins. They fully guarantee Tannehill for 2015/2016, giving him an extra $6.5M, and then get him for a reasonable price in 2017.

Users who are viewing this thread