What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Tavarres King, WR CAR (1 Viewer)

battlebaby

Footballguy
So King was claimed by Carolina. I like this kid's game and Carolina's been desperate to find a WR not named Steve Smith that can contribute. LaFell has always been inconsistent, and Ginn isn't anything more than a role player. Other WR on their roster aren't even worth mentioning. What do you guys think the chances are he sees some time on the field this year? Going forward, do you think Carolina views him as a player to develop into Steve Smith's eventual replacement?

Any career as a WR he may have had just died.

A WR on a team that averages under 250 ypg passing and under 20 completions is not the place to look for a WR. It would suck to have the #1 WR on a team like that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Own him as an end-of-bench stash in one deep dynasty league, and it's been a bit of a roller coaster the past 2 months.

Training camp with Denver, King was getting a lot of positive reviews, but then was a surprise cut before the season.

It was certainly encouraging that the Packers were showing interest, and then the Broncos activated King to block the Packers' claim.

But I'm equally -- if not more -- discouraged that the Broncos now waived him again.

While his immediate path to playing time might be clearer in Carolina, the offensive system recently places a pretty low ceiling on the WRs, especially in contrast to DEN or GB.

A WR on a team that averages under 250 ypg passing and under 20 completions is not the place to look for a WR. It would suck to have the #1 WR on a team like that.
Couldn't the lack of a consistent WR2 be seriously contributing to the weak passing game in CAR? Defenses can just lock onto taking Steve Smith out of the game and challenge LaFell and Ginn to make plays in one-on-one coverage. With how inconsistent those two are as vertical threats, it's no surprise that Olsen leads the team in receiving and Cam's completions are low.

While his immediate path to playing time might be clearer in Carolina, the offensive system recently places a pretty low ceiling on the WRs, especially in contrast to DEN or GB.
Definitely agree that the long-term value would be much higher in GB or DEN. I just wonder how strong of a hold Ron Rivera has on that HC job if he doesn't get a spark in their offense soon. I mean, a CAR beat reporter named Graham Gano as the early offensive team MVP (http://espn.go.com/blog/carolina-panthers/post/_/id/1352/rapid-reaction-carolina-panthers-3). Haven't heard a claim like that since Dawson left CLE.

Rotoworld:

Tavarres King and Marvin McNutt would be the Panthers starting receivers if the season started today.
Over the last week, the Panthers have cut Steve Smith, whiffed on Hakeem Nicks/James Jones, and watched Brandon LaFell/Ted Ginn/Domenik Hixon sign elsewhere. GM Dave Gettleman will likely add a veteran in the form of Jerricho Cotchery or maybe Kenny Britt, but King is a name to watch. He led the NCAA in yards per reception at 22.6 as a senior at Georgia, lit up Alabama for 128 yards on five catches in the SEC title game and has 4.47 wheels.

Related: Marvin McNutt

Source: Charlotte Observer

Rotoworld:

Tavarres King and Marvin McNutt would be the Panthers starting receivers if the season started today.
Over the last week, the Panthers have cut Steve Smith, whiffed on Hakeem Nicks/James Jones, and watched Brandon LaFell/Ted Ginn/Domenik Hixon sign elsewhere. GM Dave Gettleman will likely add a veteran in the form of Jerricho Cotchery or maybe Kenny Britt, but King is a name to watch. He led the NCAA in yards per reception at 22.6 as a senior at Georgia, lit up Alabama for 128 yards on five catches in the SEC title game and has 4.47 wheels.

Related: Marvin McNutt

Source: Charlotte Observer
have him as a stash in 1 league, fully expect to cut him once the rookie draft is over and Dyno rookie drafts start, but he could be worth keeping an eye on

I liked King coming into the league. Numbers game in Denver forced him out. He has a chance. Work is what he needs to do. And maybe move in with Cam.

Older Rotoworld:

The Denver Post thinks fifth-round WR Tavarres King has a "good chance" of becoming the Broncos' No. 4 receiver as a rookie.

It's notable because the Broncos run so much out of their three-wide sets, and King would be an injury away from becoming relevant. King is a straight-line speedster with 4.47 wheels who averaged 22.6 YPR on 42 catches as a senior. Demaryius Thomas has missed 11 games in three seasons due to injury.

Source: Denver Post

Sun, May 12, 2013 12:16:00 PM
Broncos OC Adam Gase has been pleased with fifth-round WR Tavarres King's training camp.

"(He's) made some big plays down the field," Gase said. "He is catching the ball fairly consistently, and he's done a good job of not being the guy we are calling out to fix things. He studied his book, obviously, this summer and made sure he wasn't going to be the guy making mistakes." King has a legitimate shot at earning No. 4 receiver duties, but obviously won't be fantasy relevant if the Broncos keep their top three receivers healthy. For now, King is just someone to keep an eye on in Dynasty leagues.

Source: Denver Post

Tue, Jul 30, 2013 08:59:00 PM
ESPN believes fifth-round WR Tavarres King is making a "legitimate push" to be the Broncos' No. 4 receiver.

Per reporter Jeff Legwold, King has displayed "upper-level ball skills," and the ability to "make plays in traffic." OC Adam Gase praised King last week, saying he's "made some big plays down the field," and "done a good job of not being the guy we are calling out to fix things." Just one injury away from a big role in one of the league's most dynamic offenses, King is a name to file away.

Source: ESPN.com

Wed, Aug 7, 2013 05:44:00 PM
Fifth-round rookie Tavarres King has settled in as the Broncos' No. 5 receiver.

It's disappointing for King, who had a realistic shot to beat out Andre Caldwell for the No. 4 gig. That would have put him one injury away from a real role on a team that will use three receivers as a base formation. Through three preseason games, King has three catches for 29 yards and no scores.

Tue, Aug 27, 2013 09:21:00 AM
Broncos waived WR Tavarres King.

Beat writer Jeff Legwold recently anointed King the Broncos' fifth receiver, but his five-catch preseason apparently wasn't enough. A fifth-round pick, King was initially considered a contender for the Broncos' No. 4 receiver job. King boasts 4.47 speed and 33-inch arms to go along with his 6-0, 189 frame, so he should get some looks on waivers. If not, he'll be stashed on the practice squad.

Related: Broncos

Source: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Sat, Aug 31, 2013 03:26:00 PM
Broncos signed WR Tavarres King to the practice squad.

A fifth-round pick, it speaks to what must have been an extremely poor summer that King went through waivers unclaimed. Although he could be signed to the active roster at some point this season, King will likely develop on the taxi squad before making another roster run next summer.

Sun, Sep 1, 2013 01:18:00 PM
Broncos promoted WR Tavarres King from the practice squad.

LB Adrian Robinson was waived in a corresponding roster move. According to the Denver Post, King can "thank the Green Bay Packers." The receiver-needy Pack were apparently trying to sign the Broncos' fifth-round pick, who was surprisingly waived at final cuts. He was stashed on the practice squad after clearing waivers. King will not have a role in the game-day offense.

Source: Mike Klis on Twitter

Tue, Oct 15, 2013 03:19:00 PM
Broncos waived WR Tavarres King.

The move clears a spot for Von Miller's return to the active roster. A fifth-round pick, King was just promoted from the practice squad Tuesday and could draw some interest on waivers.

Sat, Oct 19, 2013 02:10:00 PM
Panthers claimed WR Tavarres King off waivers from the Broncos.

A fifth-round pick in April's draft, King was promoted to the Broncos' active roster last week after the Packers displayed interest, but they apparently didn't have a spot for him for Week 8. He'll bring up the rear of Carolina's receiver corps, but has an excellent shot at remaining on the active roster through the end of the regular season. The Panthers are woefully thin at wideout.

Related: Broncos

Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Mon, Oct 21, 2013 04:49:00 PM

Rotoworld:

ESPN Panthers reporter David Newton said WR Tavarres King's "stock is rising."

King wrapped up a reportedly solid week of camp by catching all four of his targets for 50 yards against the Bills Friday night. A fifth-round pick of the Broncos last season, King has the talent to challenge Jason Avant for the No. 3 receiver job. He is a name to watch this preseason.

Aug 9 - 10:08 AM

Rotoworld:

King wrapped up a reportedly solid week of camp by catching all four of his targets for 50 yards against the Bills Friday night. A fifth-round pick of the Broncos last season, King has the talent to challenge Jason Avant for the No. 3 receiver job. He is a name to watch this preseason.

Got around to watching the game and King would have had 5/102 on 5 targets had his 52 yard catch not been called back for holding at the LOS.

Looked like a starter to me.

Rotoworld:

Got around to watching the game and King would have had 5/102 on 5 targets had his 52 yard catch not been called back for holding at the LOS.

Looked like a starter to me.
I saw that too. I know Denver liked him and hoped to sneak him on the PS. I grabbed him in deep leagues with an extended offseason bench where I could and hoped for him to making his way through the murky WR stable there in Carolina. Seems like a nice stash at this point that could have some decent upside.

But isn't it alarming that he wasn't able to move up Carolina's mediocre depth chart in offseason ? And there wasn't much mention of him during OTA's or camp. Every other WR seemed to get praised at some point, but was very quiet for him.

Next 2 preseason games will be big for him. He'll need to keep the momentum going, or could easily see him getting cut when they pickup a few guys who get waived by other teams.

But isn't it alarming that he wasn't able to move up Carolina's mediocre depth chart in offseason ? And there wasn't much mention of him during OTA's or camp. Every other WR seemed to get praised at some point, but was very quiet for him.

Next 2 preseason games will be big for him. He'll need to keep the momentum going, or could easily see him getting cut when they pickup a few guys who get waived by other teams.
He was mentioned at the end of July in the press: "After a pedestrian OTAs and minicamp, receiver Tavarres King has put three solid days together. King caught another touchdown pass Thursday and he’s making an impression on his coaches."

He has been battling a hamstring injury since those good practices.

Here is a part of a piece written on him yesterday:

King’s recent play has reinforced for coach Ron Rivera why the team picked up the former Georgia Bulldogs receiver off waivers from Denver last year. Receivers coach “Ricky Proehl really liked him coming out” of college, Rivera said. “Ricky did a lot of work on him, and when he became available he went to Dave and his group and said, ‘Hey, can we claim this guy?’ Dave and his guys went back and looked and what they had wrote up and Dave felt strongly enough to bring him in.”

King came to Carolina in October but was inactive for the 10 games he was in Charlotte. He’s fighting for one of two or three receiver spots behind Kelvin Benjamin, Jerricho Cotchery and Jason Avant. He also is battling injury. King missed three practices with a hamstring injury last week after three good practice days, and admitted the injury hasn’t gone away completely. Rivera said last week King’s injury was reminiscent of David Gettis, a former Panthers receiver who couldn’t stay healthy to secure a roster spot after a good 2010 season. The team released him last year.

King knows he must play through his injury to make the final roster. “It’s still something that’s there, it’s lingering, but I’m going to fight through it and just continue to get treatment and get better,” he said.

With one exhibition and several good practices under his belt, King is developing into what Proehl and Rivera hoped he could become back in October. “This is what we thought he could be,” Rivera said. “He’s not anywhere near where we need him, but he’s working that way and he most certainly has everybody’s attention.”

"Not anywhere near where we need him."

Anti-climactic ending to that article. Cotchery and Avant are just guys, but reliable guys. I could see a spot for him at the end of the roster and definitely more if he continues to develop. Worth a shot.

Anti-climactic ending to that article. Cotchery and Avant are just guys, but reliable guys. I could see a spot for him at the end of the roster and definitely more if he continues to develop. Worth a shot.
He needs to get his hamstring sorted out but the quote I read as coach speak. Things could change but at the moment I view as the starter opposite Benjamin.

He needs to get his hamstring sorted out but the quote I read as coach speak. Things could change but at the moment I view as the starter opposite Benjamin.
Went back and watched each catch. He caught everything and some were even somewhat contested. Looks sharp to me.

Unfortunately his upside short and long term are low in this situation.

Barring an injury ahead of him, I doubt he sees significant snaps this year. Car will be in a lot of 2 and even 3 TE sets (Williams/Tolbert playing halfback) and sometimes Benjamin will be the only WR on the field. In passing situations the veterans Cotchery, Avant, and a dependable Bersin seem more likely to be on the field than King. I think there is still a chance King doesn't make the 53.

Barring an injury ahead of him, I doubt he sees significant snaps this year. Car will be in a lot of 2 and even 3 TE sets (Williams/Tolbert playing halfback) and sometimes Benjamin will be the only WR on the field. In passing situations the veterans Cotchery, Avant, and a dependable Bersin seem more likely to be on the field than King. I think there is still a chance King doesn't make the 53.
Bersin hasn't proven anything, let alone he's "dependable." King has a lot of upside, and one of the reasons Carolina didn't draft more WRs was the presence of guys like King on the roster that Proehl felt could continue to develop.

I agree Benjamin is the one and will be on the field in 2 TE sets, but Carolina didn't run them that often last year, and may or may not run them very often this year. A lot of teams say they want to run a certain personnel grouping, but often find themselves putting the best players on the field.

Benjamin, Cotchery, and Avant are locked in, but there's no promises past that. King could very easily claim a spot and continue to climb. Avant isn't much standing in the way.

Bersin hasn't proven anything, let alone he's "dependable." King has a lot of upside, and one of the reasons Carolina didn't draft more WRs was the presence of guys like King on the roster that Proehl felt could continue to develop.

I agree Benjamin is the one and will be on the field in 2 TE sets, but Carolina didn't run them that often last year, and may or may not run them very often this year. A lot of teams say they want to run a certain personnel grouping, but often find themselves putting the best players on the field.

Benjamin, Cotchery, and Avant are locked in, but there's no promises past that. King could very easily claim a spot and continue to climb. Avant isn't much standing in the way.
Considering what he has shown during his 3 years, and the general buzz throughout camp, I would consider Bersin a much more dependable/reliable option than King who has been here for half a season and 1 disappointing OTAs.

The more I think about it, the more I think Bersin might of had to something to do with Carolina not drafting more WRs. Also, using 2 TE sets in part because of our inability to find an OT we were comfortable with, Brandon Williams emergence, has also contributed to not drafting WR. The best players on the field very well might come in 1 WR sets.

If ever there were an opportunity for a new face to break in, King has the chance of his career here.

Cotchery and Avant are proven solid journeymen and not too much more. If a guy is legit starting material in the NFL his talent will transcend them. Bersin is a plodding possession WR, and Benjamin had all sorts of questions about him that make his prospects of being a legit WR1 dubious.

King may not have "it", but if he does - and that remains to be seen but it looks like he is ramping up to take advantage of his competition, and he is only a 2 yr guy - there isn't a whole lot in CAR to keep him off the field.

Users who are viewing this thread