What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Tavon Austin (1 Viewer)

He and Gurley are a deadly combo, the PA pass threat and any fake handoff to Gurley is so real that Austin's job as the gadget player will be much easier. But he was doing this before Gurley took off, he's a better NFL weapon than fantasy asset but it's coming together for him. Gold in best ball.

You mean aside from this year, right? Been pretty consistent this year.
Not really (PPR): 9, 6, 9, 29, 10, 10, 26

9 or 10 in a PPR is not what a championship team trots out at WR (maybe as a bye week flex). Only two weeks have been worthy of any real attention, and he's scored 56 of 100 points in 2 out of 6 weeks.

Certainly not a disaster, and actually a hair better than I thought, but still hard to trust him.

9 or 10 in a PPR is not what a championship team trots out at WR (maybe as a bye week flex).
Sure they do. Championship teams trot that out every week of the regular season. Especially from players they got late in the draft, or off the waiver wire.

Is he your #1 WR? Hopefully not, no. But for most, he's a 3rd WR at best, or a flex option. He can clearly have a helpful week with one play, and that's hugely valuable,

This guys a FA in my league and I'm making a claim. Need bye week fill in for week 11 and he might just give me a spark that week. We get return yards and PPR so Austin is a little more valuable. He's scored under 10 only once this year in my league and has big play ability

9 or 10 in a PPR is not what a championship team trots out at WR (maybe as a bye week flex).
Sure they do. Championship teams trot that out every week of the regular season. Especially from players they got late in the draft, or off the waiver wire.

Is he your #1 WR? Hopefully not, no. But for most, he's a 3rd WR at best, or a flex option. He can clearly have a helpful week with one play, and that's hugely valuable,
They cant ALL be Julio Jones can they?

Tavon would be my WR 5. I'd be thrilled if I could get 10 points from him in a bye week start

This guys a FA in my league and I'm making a claim. Need bye week fill in for week 11 and he might just give me a spark that week. We get return yards and PPR so Austin is a little more valuable. He's scored under 10 only once this year in my league and has big play ability
I picked him up this week to be my WR4 and dropped Marvin Jones. Like you said his floor is reasonably decent and in my league we get double points for all TDs over 50 yards. I'd like to see him start getting double-digit touches but even if he stays around 8 or so a game it looks like they're finally using him intelligently and his big-play potential makes him a threat every time he touches the ball.

What I find real interesting is how often they use him near the goal line. With defenses keying so heavily on Gurley there Austin becomes even more dangerous, especially on jet sweeps.

Not really (PPR): 9, 6, 9, 29, 10, 10, 269 or 10 in a PPR is not what a championship team trots out at WR (maybe as a bye week flex). Only two weeks have been worthy of any real attention, and he's scored 56 of 100 points in 2 out of 6 weeks.

Certainly not a disaster, and actually a hair better than I thought, but still hard to trust him.
The past 4 games he's the #7 WR in PPG at 19.2 (PPR).

Not really (PPR): 9, 6, 9, 29, 10, 10, 269 or 10 in a PPR is not what a championship team trots out at WR (maybe as a bye week flex). Only two weeks have been worthy of any real attention, and he's scored 56 of 100 points in 2 out of 6 weeks.

Which coincides with?

The beginning of the Gurley era. This is going to be a dynamic fantasy duo as Gurley just opens up the field for Tavon.

I've started him the last few games. We can start 4 WR's, so it's not saying much, but very pleased with his performance...

Which coincides with?

The beginning of the Gurley era. This is going to be a dynamic fantasy duo as Gurley just opens up the field for Tavon.
Bubble screens and jet sweeps for Austin should continue to be lethal with defenses focusing so heavily on Gurley.

From the TB broadcast:

Austin is the first player with 4 rushing TDs, 5 receiving TDs and a punt return TD in the same season in a half century (Gale Sayers).

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess the hate is from past owners, or owners that are bitter about his play his first two years. The guy is a rock solid wr3 that can go off and win you games. I love him as my wr 3-4.

He's developing into what everyone thought the Rams were getting though, right? He looks great. Too bad he's on such a bad team.
Yes. I kind of think the Rams wanted to do this because of how the Vikings were using Harvin with Peterson It has been an improvement replacing the offensive coordinator who did a poor job of utilizing Austin. This coach of course was fired but they apparently are keeping many of the constraint play elements that Austin excels at as a way to make teams pay for over committing to stopping Gurley. I was a little bit worried maybe some of that would go away after the firing of the coach. Good to see that is not the case.

Still this offense is lacking in a lot of areas that hurt the elements they are best at. Snead and Fisher seem secure for another season. Improvements to the offensive line would really help.

I guess the hate is from past owners, or owners that are bitter about his play his first two years. The guy is a rock solid wr3 that can go off and win you games. I love him as my wr 3-4.
He still pits up too many duds to be relied on. I traded him & Bridgewater for Romo earlier this year & glad I did.

Same here, he's no WR1, but as a 3rd receiver to play each week I feel good about trotting him on out.

If your counting on him being a WR1 for you then you didn't draft very well at wideout. (asking to much)

But..

You get 1 WR1 and 1 WR1.5-2 you play every week, then put Austin in as your 3rd, that's a decent WR corps.

(with a lineup like that, most every week your receivers as a whole produce pretty well, Liking it so far here) :)

I think his role grows from here. The Bucs looked absolutely terrible tonight. He looks much more comfortable this year.

I'm gonna try to buy in Dynasty but will definitely take him in redraft next year.

The Rams have exercised Tavon Austin's fifth-year team option for 2017.
They've done the same with MLB Alec Ogletree. Austin has never lived up to his billing as the No. 8 overall pick of the 2013 draft, but has steadily come on as a playmaker. He is dangerous with the ball in his hands. The option is worth over $12 million, something the Rams might very well decide is too much. Option years are guaranteed for injury only. Austin has been durable despite his pint size (5-foot-8, 176 pounds).

Source: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

That is shocking to me.

career high in receiving last year: 52/473/5

$12mil doesn't go as far as it used to.

If you are going to try to sell me his rushing stats, save your time. Are you going to count on that every year? 

ESPN LA beat reporter Nick Wagoner tweeted Saturday the plan was to extend him to a long term extension to reduce the cap figure. If he is signed through 2020, whatever it is in 2016-2017, it will probably look like a lot less in a few years when the cap moves past the $200 million mark.

What will free agent WRs like Jones and Sanu be making in 2018-2019?

Goff is very accurate and can hit targets through tight windows in stride which could weaponize him. If you think Goff is better than UFAs Hill, Davis and Keenum, he could have upside on that basis. LA went from having two playmakers before the draft (Gurley and Austin) to four or more, stealing TE Higbee and slot WR Cooper with their two fourth round picks (not to mention the OTHER Mike Thomas in the sixth), which could help open up the offense further.

That is shocking to me.

If you are going to try to sell me his rushing stats, save your time. Are you going to count on that every year? 
Goff to Austin will be a poor man's Brady to Edelman.

That is shocking to me.

It is clear that they are much more creative about using him now that Schotty is gone

pbandy1 said:
Stedman Bailey is a pretty good route runner so he could be the go-to for Goff.
Shot twice in the head last year, miraculously survived, working out again, no guarantee to ever play again.

Jeff Fisher sees Tavon Austin catching 100 passes this year:

Heading into year four of the Tavon Austin experiment, the Rams still don’t appear to have much idea what to do with the player they moved up aggressively in the first round of the 2013 draft to secure.

Austin has moved around on offense in an attempt to maximize his playmaking ability, but while 2015 was his best season, he still had just 907 yards from scrimmage to his name over the full season, or fewer than Kamar Aiken in Baltimore.

Jeff Fisher, at least, is bullish about his prospects, claiming he could double his reception total and notch over 100 passes in 2016. Four players topped 100 receptions in 2014, with seven managing it in 2015, and the league has never been more set up to produce catches by volume.

Austin caught 64.2 percent of the passes sent his way in 2015, meaning that, for him to top 100 catches this season at that same rate, he would need 156 targets, which would have been the sixth-highest total of 2015.

The issue for Austin is that the five players with more targets than that in 2015 are all outside, perimeter, unquestioned No. 1 targets for their offenses, and Austin can’t be that guy at his size. He needs to be the Jarvis Landry of his offense—a smaller, shifty receiver that can be reliable underneath and on quick passes, picking up yardage after the catch. Landry caught 110 passes in 2015, so that role can certainly achieve those numbers, but that isn’t how the Rams have been deploying Austin to date. He may be thought of as a slot receiver, but only 17 of his 81 targets (21.0 percent) came from the slot in 2015.

The Rams have been lining Austin up outside and then feeding him the ball on bubble screens and quick hitches with the occasional deep route worked in. Austin runs one of the most basic route trees in the NFL, and until that develops, there is little to no chance of him catching those 100 passes.
There is a nice chart at the end of this article breaking down all of routes Austin ran last season and the targets he got on each route and stuff like drops and YAC as well as how each of these things compare to the average.

First off, thank you for Biabreakable for the avatar. It helps me out a lot. And also great choice.

"Austin runs one of the most basic route trees in the NFL, and until that develops, there is little to no chance of him catching those 100 passes." 

Man agrument could be made that AB is the best WR in the game right now. And his (AB) biggest strength is his route running. These two aren't far off in size or probably physical talent, I'm guessing. Austin will never be as good as Brown because his lack of skill and low volume. From an athletic stand point he should be able to physically perform the route running of Brown. However, route running at the NFL level is more about technical skill and technique. Do you think it's possible for Tavon to improve enough at route running to be his teams number one receiver? *****I'm not saying Austin is capable of being Brown. I'm more so saying, if he has similar top of the line tools, that one of the best in the world has, will he ever be able to use them well enough to be the best in his city? *****

My perspective about Austin somewhat begins with the season prior to the Rams drafting him. The Vikings played the Rams and they just could not handle the pressure that Percy Harvin was putting on their defense that is trying to stop Peterson. These two guys together really made run fits difficult, because either guy can take it to the house if just one guy misses the gap assignment.

The following draft the Rams take Austin with every intention of him helping out their running game due to the pressure they hoped to put on defenses in similar fashion as Percy Harvin did to them the season before. The Vikings who traded Harvin to Seattle (also for much the same reasons) tried to keep this element in their offense by drafting CP84. 

Austin has worked out a lot better than Patterson has. Constraint plays are valuable and having a player who can execute a reverse or other constraint plays with excellence is a rare thing. Fisher being committed to the run is I think more committed to these types of plays with Austin. However these are not the kind of plays that will become a staple of your offense in the long term. This is the stuff you do so your bread and butter plays don't get schemed away. 

I really doubt Austin gets the targets he would need to catch that many in this offense.Goff should be a big upgrade at QB though so we may not see Austin's true potential until 2017

He has a lot of value to the Rams for his special teams as well. Which is something that is a little more important for a team trying to win with ball control and defense.

Did not take note of this shift:

That started to change last season. Offensive coordinator Frank Cignetti seemed to try getting the ball to Austin more. In the team's first 12 games, Austin saw an average of five targets and six total touches per game. That might not sound like much but it was an improvement over the four targets and five touches that had been Austin's career average heading into 2015.

Things really picked up when Rob Boras took over the offensive coordinator job before Week 14. From that point on, Austin's average targets ticked up to six per game while his total touches hit nearly eight per game.

Jeff Fisher sees Tavon Austin catching 100 passes this year:

There is a nice chart at the end of this article breaking down all of routes Austin ran last season and the targets he got on each route and stuff like drops and YAC as well as how each of these things compare to the average.
I'm just looking at this link for the first time. It's amazing how little Austin did as a receiver. If you remove the routes labeled "WR Screen", "HB Route", and "Jet Sweep", on the remaining actual receiver routes Austin is left with only 243 receiving yards on 48 targets with 2 TDs. That's very little production, and very inefficient - his 5.06 yards per target on actual receiver routes is even lower than his (already very low) overall YPT.

If he's going to get a bigger role in the passing game, presumably it's not going to come by catching 50 WR screens instead of 25 - he's going to have to be more involved as an actual receiver, running routes past the line of scrimmage. And he hasn't had success there yet.

Austin actually had some backfield looks also and I would think better to have Gurley get more of those targets this season.

The QB play has been terrible so maybe if Goff is good Austin's numbers could improve because of that. 

Having Austin always running fakes does help disguise when they actually do use him, it doesn't put him in position to make more traditional plays when the focus is on faking though.

The best hope for all of these Rams players likely involves Fisher being fired. Not sure how Austin would do in a better passing offense. 

There is no way Austin gets the targets required to catch 100 passes this year. Jeff FIsher has only had one WR perform at close to that level which was Derrick Mason who was a chain mover not an offensive weapon like Austin.

Users who are viewing this thread