What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

TE Cameron Brate - Great or Ain't? (3 Viewers)

What's his contract status? Isn't he coming to have a really inflated number this year and a likely cut? Fingers crossed he gets cut and is able to put up some low end TE1 numbers somewhere. Could be nice in NO or NE if Gronk hangs it up (or even if he stays). 

3/12/2018: Signed a six-year, $41 million contract. The deal includes $18 million guaranteed. per roto

sport trac

Contract Notes:

$7M guaranteed at signing (2018 salary + 2018 roster bonus)

2019 salary fully guarantees on 3/17/2019

$4M of 2020 salary fully guarantees on the 5th league day of 2020

tombonneau said:
What's his contract status? Isn't he coming to have a really inflated number this year and a likely cut? Fingers crossed he gets cut and is able to put up some low end TE1 numbers somewhere. Could be nice in NO or NE if Gronk hangs it up (or even if he stays). 
Yea I don’t think he’s on the team next year. 7M too much for him. Good player though. 

Yea I don’t think he’s on the team next year. 7M too much for him. Good player though. 
Gresham makes over $6M next year, as does Ebron.  Dion Sims is exactly $6M.  This is pretty much the going rate for veteran TE's with a specific role.  If anything, he's not a fit for what Arians wants from the TE.  The salary isn't likely to play a factor though.

Gresham makes over $6M next year, as does Ebron.  Dion Sims is exactly $6M.  This is pretty much the going rate for veteran TE's with a specific role.  If anything, he's not a fit for what Arians wants from the TE.  The salary isn't likely to play a factor though.
Sure it does. The Bucs have very little cap room and they have a clear starter in OJ. He might be a value at 7M but that doesn’t mean the Bucs have the room to pay it for their TE2. 

Ugh, I don't think OJ is either. Does Arians kill OJ's potential? 

Cameron Brate (hip) expects to be ready for training camp.

Brate underwent arthroscopic surgery in January. He was reportedly cleared to run routes in April, but he is still not practicing. Brate will fill in behind O.J. Howard once he is healthy.

SOURCE: Greg Auman on Twitter

May 21, 2019, 12:43 PM ET

Cameron Brate (hip) practiced Thursday at the start of Buccaneers training camp.

It looks like the former Ivy Leaguer is trending toward 100 percent after needing most of the offseason to recover from arthroscopic hip surgery. Brate has flashed red-zone chops in the past, but he'll open camp well behind 2017 first-rounder O.J. Howard, who many are projecting for a third-year breakout.

SOURCE: Pewter Report

Jul 25, 2019, 1:01 PM ET

Cameron Brate (calf) was limited in practice Wednesday.

Brate missed months of the offseason after undergoing hip surgery, but he made a successful return in late July. This new calf injury is expected to be minor, though it's worth monitoring if you're playing in two tight end leagues. Brate is expected to take a backseat to O.J. Howard, who was going as the TE4 this August, but has flashed in the red zone before.

SOURCE: Rick Stroud on Twitter

Sep 4, 2019, 8:55 PM ET

Not a whole lot of love for Cameron Brate. I thought Winston liked him as a target? New coaching philosophy changed though.

With Howard Out any hope for Brate in this disastrous TE market? lol 

Geesh, I kinda answered my own question. TEN solid D, but did I hear slightly generous to the TE? It's like someone like Brate or J Hill for this week of playing streamer TE's. Njoku, Dissly, Herndon all gone. Well, Herndon is trending towards not this week.

Not a whole lot of love for Cameron Brate. I thought Winston liked him as a target? New coaching philosophy changed though.

Geesh, I kinda answered my own question. TEN solid D, but did I hear slightly generous to the TE? It's like someone like Brate or J Hill for this week of playing streamer TE's. Njoku, Dissly, Herndon all gone. Well, Herndon is trending towards not this week.
Tennessee vulnerable, if you're desperate and holding, he then gets Arizona in Week Ten, and they've almost gifted TEs fifteen or so points a game.

I exaggerate, but AZ has been awful against TEs. 

Fingers crossed for 4-50-1. I drafted OJ Howard and have been playing Graham, so at this point I'd be happy with anyone that gets more than 4 targets a game.

Thought about Jonnu Smith, but since I'm still rostering Howard I went with Brate on the slim chance that Howard gets moved next Tuesday and I end up with 2 TE options without having to spend any FAAB.

Just dealt him in dynasty for Moreau to the OJ owner who had nothing behind him. (I own Waller.)

Semi-regretting it as he is a top team and I believe Brate can be low TE1 if he is starting with Winston. Always believed in his talent and was stumped TB would pay him to do nothing. 

I think you could do worse in wire. He must get 50% of Winston's RZ targets. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Just read a tweet somewhere that listed all the games Brate has played where OJ Howard was out/inactive.

The results were surprisingly poor.

Maybe Brate is better as a TE2 when D's aren't really paying attention to him. 

I’m starting him this week with Andrews on bye. In my head Winston seems to love Brate as a RZ target when Howard isn’t there. I’m including Brate being his TE before Howard was on the team, in that feeling 

Just read a tweet somewhere that listed all the games Brate has played where OJ Howard was out/inactive.

The results were surprisingly poor.

Maybe Brate is better as a TE2 when D's aren't really paying attention to him. 
And now do the numbers with Arians. If a Brate posts even high end TE2 numbers outside a lucky TD, I’ll be shocked

[icon] said:
And now do the numbers with Arians. If a Brate posts even high end TE2 numbers outside a lucky TD, I’ll be shocked
Then I'll be shooting for being lucky. Here I am starting him in two leagues this week. Crazy! I admit it'll be pretty sweet watching a Brate RZ TD. Give him  4 for 60 yards to boot.

Then I'll be shooting for being lucky. Here I am starting him in two leagues this week. Crazy! I admit it'll be pretty sweet watching a Brate RZ TD. Give him  4 for 60 yards to boot.
Rooting for ya! 

Im rolling the dice on Jonnu Smith taking over for Walker (ankle) in TEN this week myself. 

Cameron Brate (ribs) did not participate in practice Wednesday.

O.J. Howard joined Brate on the sidelines, which forced the Bucs to call up TE Jordan Leggett from the practice squad. Brate was in the streaming mix last week with Howard dealing with a hamstring injury, but he'll need to get back on the practice field to be a TE2 dart throw this week against the Seahawks. Brate caught 3-of-6 targets for 32 yards last week.

SOURCE: Buccaneers.com

Oct 30, 2019, 8:08 PM ET

Cameron Brate (ribs) returned to Bucs practice on Thursday, getting in a limited session.

O.J. Howard (hamstring) remained sidelined, setting Brate up for another week of plug-and-play TE2 status after he drew six targets against the Titans. Brate and Jameis Winston's bromance never died. The Harvard product just no longer has a ceiling with Chris Godwin and Mike Evans both operating as high-end WR1s.

Oct 31, 2019, 4:09 PM ET

Cameron Brate (ribs) is questionable for the Buccaneers' Week 9 matchup against the Seahawks.

O.J. Howard (hamstring) has already been ruled out. Brate caught 3-of-6 targets for 32 scoreless yards with Howard sidelined last week, but played a modest 66% of the offense's snaps. Brate is a thin option even with Howard sidelined as long as both Antony Auclair (42%) and Tanner Hudson (25%) remain so involved.

SOURCE: John Boyle on Twitter.

Nov 1, 2019, 4:13 PM ET

Cameron Brate (ribs) is active for Week 9 against the Seahawks.

This was expected after Brate was upgraded to full participation at Friday's end-of-week practice. He'll fill the void left by injured starter O.J. Howard (hamstring) at tight end. Even in a game with one of the highest totals of the week (Vegas set the over/under at 51), Brate makes for a shaky streamer.

SOURCE: Tampa Bay Buccaneers on Twitter

Nov 3, 2019, 2:57 PM ET

Cameron Brate hauled in 10 of his team-high 14 targets for 73 yards in Tampa Bay's Week 11 loss to the Saints.

O.J. Howard was given a chance early but ridden to the bench permanently after attempting to secure a bobbled-catch (that initially hit his hands) behind his back, inevitably tacking another interception onto Jameis Winston's track record. It was still poor play-calling across the board as Brate's targets, catches, and receiving yards all finished as team-highs despite stud corner Marshon Lattimore's (hamstring, out) absence from outside coverage. Brate himself will be an interesting streamer against the Falcons in Week 12 if Howard's truly been benched moving forward.

Nov 17, 2019, 4:55 PM ET

Cameron Brate caught 4-of-4 targets for 30 yards and a touchdown in the Buccaneers’ Week 14 win over the Colts.

The touchdown was essentially a troll job to fantasy managers of both O.J. Howard and the Buccaneers’ RBs, as Brate caught a three yard touchdown after lining up in the backfield. Brate is a solid-enough pass-game weapon, particularly in the red zone, but he and Howard continue to split targets and snaps alike. Perhaps the Buccaneers will utilize more two-TE sets with Mike Evans (hamstring) potentially sidelined in Week 15 against the Lions. Still, the exhibited inconsistency from both players this season renders each as a boom-or-bust TE2.

Buccaneers restructured TE Cameron Brate's contract.

Brate was set to make $6 million this year, $4 million of which would have been guaranteed. Brate signed a "six-year, $41 million" contract in 2018 after scoring 17 touchdowns across his first four years with Tampa. His snaps have declined four consecutive years. New QB Tom Brady is no stranger to targeting tight ends, but Brate figures to be deployed primarily as a blocker and a red zone weapon going forward.

Mar 22, 2020, 1:35 PM ET

I inherited this guy and Howard and Everett as my TEs in dynasty. First thing I thought when I saw this is he made quite a few millions from being Winston's red zone Charmin (squeezed in and clung to and hugged). He's virtually useless, IMHO. 

I inherited this guy and Howard and Everett as my TEs in dynasty. First thing I thought when I saw this is he made quite a few millions from being Winston's red zone Charmin (squeezed in and clung to and hugged). He's virtually useless, IMHO. 
I understand it on first blush but there are plenty of RZ looks from Brady to TEs in the redzone. Even with Gronk, he still may be a viable bye week fill in at times.

Odd there isn't too much Brate chatter with O.J. Howard out for the year. I'd look to nab Cameron Brate more than Gronk at this point; Brate can actually fill in at the move TE spot since he used  to get slot reps as one of Jameis' favorite targets 3 years ago.

The Frankman said:
Odd there isn't too much Brate chatter with O.J. Howard out for the year. I'd look to nab Cameron Brate more than Gronk at this point; Brate can actually fill in at the move TE spot since he used  to get slot reps as one of Jameis' favorite targets 3 years ago.
Unfortunately Arians/Leftwich do not use TE's this way.  I agree he should be getting slot reps, especially with Godwin out, but this offense simply does not have it in the playbook. 

The Frankman said:
I look for Brady to push for Gronk more than Brate and I don't think this offense is built for two TEs.

Cameron Brate caught 5-of-6 targets for 44 yards in the Bucs' Week 5 loss to the Bears. 

Brate entered the evening with one catch all season but predictably saw his usage spike with O.J. Howard (Achilles' tendon) done for the season. The FOX broadcast booth talked about how Tom Brady couldn't wait to get his No. 3 tight end involved. With receiver injuries seemingly endemic in Tampa this year, Brate could draw 3-4 weekly looks, but it is difficult to envision him emerging as a fantasy option. 

- Rotoworld
PFT has him playing 33/71 snaps (46%) but had as many targets as Gronkowski and his aDoT looked decent on a short week. Would love to see him play in a more uptempo game as you'd think Tom Brady wants to heavily target his backs and TEs.

Bucs TE Cameron Brate has been added to the Week 14 injury report with an illness, and is questionable for Sunday's game against the Vikings.

The Bucs are presumably waiting to find out if Brate has the coronavirus. With the Bucs' receiver corps at something approximating full health, Brate has been catching just 2-4 weekly passes. That's more than a lot of seam stretchers, but not enough for Brate to carve out TE2 value behind Rob Gronkowski. 

SOURCE: Rick Stroud on Twitter 

Dec 12, 2020, 4:39 PM ET

as a Gronk owner in the playoffs I would be very saddened to hear about any absence for Mr Brate. He should rest up though. Take it easy.

Get well soon, my dude. 

:sarcasm:

Cameron Brate caught 4-of-6 targets for 80 yards in the Bucs' Wild Card win over Washington.

Brate was far more involved as a pass-catcher than Rob Gronkowski, who was only targeted once. It's odd usage overall but could possibly be explained by Gronk being utilized as a pass protector against Washington's elite front four. Brate will be a DFS dart throw next weekend. The Bucs are expected to face New Orleans.

Jan 10, 2021, 12:14 AM ET

Cameron Brate caught 3-of-5 targets for 19 yards and a touchdown in the Bucs' NFC Championship Game victory over the Packers. 

Brate has out-caught Rob Gronkowski 11-2 this postseason. He is the pass-catching option right now with Gronk cleaning up as a blocker. Brate will still be no higher than fourth on the targets totem pole for Super Bowl LV, and will probably be fifth or sixth. 

Jan 24, 2021, 8:28 PM ET

Cameron Brate (back) was limited during Thursday's practice. 

It's a notable development three days before the Super Bowl. Brate, who has functioned as Tampa's primary pass-catching tight end during the playoffs, should get the green light against KC if he logs a limited practice Friday. If his back injury is on the more serious side and he misses the Super Bowl, Rob Gronkowski would get a major bump in pass routes and targets against a Chiefs defense that allowed the eighth most receptions to tight ends in 2020. The Bucs will release injury designations on Friday. 

RELATED: 

Rob Gronkowski

SOURCE: Pro Football Talk on Twitter 

Feb 4, 2021, 4:21 PM ET

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports Cameron Brate (back) was pulled from Thursday's practice out of an "abundance of caution," and that "as of now, he plans to play." 

We wouldn't follow a Brate injury this closely during the regular season, but he has taken over as the Bucs' primary pass catcher up the seam during the playoffs, and his status looms large for a one-game DFS slate. We have little doubt that Brate will try to go, but it would be nice to see him get in a "full" session on Friday before being removed from the injury report. Brate's status will be updated in less than 24 hours. 

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter 

Feb 4, 2021, 8:50 PM ET

Cameron Brate (back) is considered questionable against the Chiefs in the Super Bowl. 

Brate logged an ominous DNP on Friday after being yanked from Thursday's practice with the back injury. He likely shapes up as a borderline game time call for Tampa, though NFL Network's Ian Rapoport said Brate "plans to play" in the Super Bowl. If Brate is limited or inactive against KC, it could make Rob Gronkowski one of the most popular DFS options. Brate leads the Bucs in both red zone targets and end zone targets this postseason while running ten fewer pass routes than Gronk. Tanner Hudson would likely see significant snaps if Brate is inactive. The Chiefs allowed 5.3 receptions per game to tight ends during the regular season. 

RELATED: 

Rob Gronkowski

, Tanner Hudson

SOURCE: Scott Smith on Twitter

Feb 5, 2021, 1:44 PM ET

ESPN's Adam Schefter said Cameron Brate (back) is expected to play against the Chiefs in the Super Bowl. 

Schefter said Brate, who has operated as Tampa's primary pass catching tight end during the postseason, "felt better today than yesterday" despite missing Friday's practice altogether. Whether Brate will be a full go against Kansas City remains to be seen. Rob Gronkowski -- having run more pass routes than Brate in the Bucs' three playoff games -- would stand to benefit if Brate were limited with the back issue. 

RELATED: 

Rob Gronkowski

SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter 

Feb 5, 2021, 4:07 PM ET

ESPN's Field Yates reports the Bucs reworked TE Cameron Brate's contract to clear $4.69 million in salary cap space. 

Perhaps no team in the history of organized sports has been more determined than Tampa to maintain their championship roster. The move was necessary after the Bucs went over the cap by signing Antonio Brown to a one-year deal worth a guaranteed $3.1 million. Brate gets a $2.425 million signing bonus and his 2021 salary is now $1.075 million, with a team option for the final two years of his deal, per Yates. Though he functioned as the Bucs' primary pass-catching tight end for the season's final month and a half in 2020, O.J. Howard's return from an Achilles injury makes Brate's role uncertain for 2021. 

RELATED: 

O.J. Howard

SOURCE: Field Yates on Twitter 

Apr 28, 2021, 10:58 AM ET

Buccaneers placed TE Cameron Brate on the physically unable to perform list.

He joins Justin Watson on the sidelines to open camp with an undisclosed injury. Buried behind Rob Gronkowski and O.J. Howard on the depth chart last year, Brate stepped in for the latter in Week 4 and closed the season with an underwhelming 28/282/2 receiving. He'll again be asked to play a limited role as an inline blocker when healthy.

Jul 24, 2021, 5:35 PM ET

Cameron Brate was held without a target in the Bucs' Week 1 win over the Cowboys. 

Pro Football Focus charted Brate as playing just 19 snaps compared to Rob Gronkowski's 57. That number will probably ebb and flow as the Bucs look to get Gronk some rest in less-fevered matchups, but O.J. Howard is also lurking as a potential third option. Brate would need about 3-4 injuries in the Bucs' skill corps to get himself on the re-draft radar. 

Cameron Brate caught four of five targets for 35 yards in the Bucs' Week 3 loss to the Rams. 

Brate came in for Rob Gronkowksi after Gronk exited to the locker room with an upper body injury. Brate had a 17-yard reception in which he almost snuck into the end zone with the game still in doubt. A highly capable pass catcher in a potent offense, Brate would be an important waiver wire pickup if Gronkowski were to miss any time. It didn't appear Gronk -- who returned to the team's Week 3 game -- had suffered a major injury though.

Users who are viewing this thread