What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

TE Cole Kmet, CHI (1 Viewer)

Cole Kmet caught 2-of-3 targets for 40 yards in Week 3's win over the Texans.

They were the first two catches of his year, bringing him up to a total of 40 yards on five targets. He pulls ahead of Darnell Mooney in the Disappointing Bears Fantasy Picks Bowl. Kmet will be a sickos-only streamer against the Giants in Week 4 as Chicago's passing offense barely looks like it practices together.

- NBCSportsEDGE

Cole Kmet caught 5-of-6 targets for 41 yards and two touchdowns in Week 9's loss to Miami, also rushing for 9 yards on 2 carries.

Kmet has suddenly caught three touchdowns in two weeks, and while one of his touchdowns came in "tight end hides in trash on play-action and suddenly appears wide open" form, another was just a simple goal-line strike in the normal course of play. You may not like it, folks, but Cole Kmet as legitimate TE1 SZN has begun and, against the woeful Lions pass defense, has to be considered in Week 10.

- NBCSportsEDGE

Picked him back up. Annoying he has the same bye as Taysom but I think the whole offense is trending up and I'm curious how they use him now.

Cole Kmet caught 4-of-7 targets for 74 yards and two touchdowns in the Bears' Week 10 loss to the Lions.​

Justin Fields found Kmet for a 6-yard TD in the third quarter and then hit him later in the quarter for a 50-yard catch-and-run score. Kmet left the game a few plays early, after taking a hit to the leg. However, the hit appeared to be to the thigh rather than the knee as originally feared. As long as Kmet avoided a significant injury he'll be a solid TE1 play against the Falcons in Week 11.
Nov 13, 2022, 4:39 PM ET

Hate that I had the foresight to pick him up for nothing after waivers this week. Then proceeded to drop him on an impulse drop before the week started for a marginal player. So now I won't be getting him. I hate overthinking things.

Cole Kmet caught 6-of-7 targets for 72 yards in the Bears' Week 13 loss to the Packers.​

Getting Justin Fields back in the lineup worked wonders for Kmet, who went for 27 scoreless yards in Trevor Siemian's Week 12 start. This week, Fields consistently found Kmet for long gains when pressure was bearing down on him. Kmet will continue to play a large role in Chicago's passing attack following the team's Week 14 bye. He will rank as a low-end TE1 versus the Eagles.
Dec 4, 2022, 6:37 PM ET

Cole Kmet caught 4-of-5 targets for 25 yards in the Bears' Week 15 loss to the Eagles.​

Kmet led the Bears in targets, picking up a 23 percent target share in the process. The downside of his role is that most of his looks came near the line of scrimmage. His longest catch of the day was a seven-yard connection. Kmet will look to make more out of his sizable role in Chicago's Week 16 matchup with the Bills. He will rank as a low-end TE1.

The Athletic's Adam Jahns believes Bears TE Cole Kmet has a good chance of earning a contract extension this offseason.​

In an article published over at The Athletic, Jahns highlighted Kmet as the Bears player "most likely" to receive an extension this offseason. While he still has one year left on his deal, Kmet emerged to lead a woeful receiving corps in receptions (50), yards (544), and touchdowns (7), going for 500+ yards in back-to-back seasons. Jahns notes in the article that Kmet was the first player mentioned by GM Ryan Poles when questioned about any "blue-chip" players on the team, as Poles went on to praise Kmet's development in his third season. The Bears lead the league in cap space heading into the 2023 offseason, which should give them plenty of room to workout a new deal with the soon-to-be 24-year-old tight end.
SOURCE: The Athletic
Feb 9, 2023, 10:11 AM ET

I would hope the Bears would find a better use of their money. Kmet is JAG, he's a solid blocker that's true, but those grow on trees. If Poles thinks he's a "blue chip player" then I'm pretty concerned what this offseason will look like, because Kmet would be a #2 TE on most teams.

50-544-7 in a largely dysfunctional passing offense isn’t bad at all. It’s not like there are a lot of FA or high end rookie WRs to be had, so Kmet has room to grow as a receiving option and when you factor in another year of growth for Fields.

50-544-7 in a largely dysfunctional passing offense isn’t bad at all. It’s not like there are a lot of FA or high end rookie WRs to be had, so Kmet has room to grow as a receiving option and when you factor in another year of growth for Fields.
He was the #1 target for much of this season, I'd be very surprised if that were the case next year, with a healthy Mooney, and fully up to speed Claypool. That's not even accounting for another addition.

I think his 2022 is pretty close to his ceiling.

4/50 contract extension.

I've never been impressed by Kmet, and while sure he hasn't had ideal conditions, he's never really shown anything. He's not bad, but he's just kinda decent. This is top-8 TE money, for a guy with 1399 yards and 9 TDs in 3 seasons.

ETA: Feel like he's going to be less productive this year regardless of how well Fields plays, as he's going from often being the #1 target to possibly being the #4.

Good for him but I don't get it. Is this guy going to be a 1000 yard a year TE for even the next 2 seasons? If not, what's his value? Blocking?

NFL GMs are dumb.

Wow…solid but nothing too special player…still only 24 so you gotta believe they think he is still getting better…hats off to his agent though…job well done!

Good for him but I don't get it. Is this guy going to be a 1000 yard a year TE for even the next 2 seasons? If not, what's his value? Blocking?

NFL GMs are dumb.
I get RB values are low, but it does seem really wrong to me that Kmet basically just signed the same deal Derrick Henry signed a couple years ago.

I'm not on the RBs are underpaid bandwagon, but looking at the salaries of TEs, I'm starting to think TEs that aren't top guys (Kmet, H. Henry, Knox) and even guys like Njoku and Engram are pretty overpaid in comparison to the top RBs.

I get Kelce, Kittle, Andrews, and even guys like Goedert and Waller making that much, but its wild that CMC and Kamara are the only RBs making more than guys like Kmet, H. Henry and Knox, there is no way those guys are more valuable players than say Ekeler, or Jacobs.

4/50 contract extension.

I've never been impressed by Kmet, and while sure he hasn't had ideal conditions, he's never really shown anything. He's not bad, but he's just kinda decent. This is top-8 TE money, for a guy with 1399 yards and 9 TDs in 3 seasons.

ETA: Feel like he's going to be less productive this year regardless of how well Fields plays, as he's going from often being the #1 target to possibly being the #4.
This really depends on how Eberflus decides to use him in the offense. My expectations for the season are at least a 50% increase in passing attemps, from a meager 22 per game to roughly the league average of 33. Target distribution should cascade from Moore to Mooney/Kmet to Claypool/Herbert and then leftovers. Breaking that down, I see Moore at ~10, Mooney and Kmet getting roughly 6 each, 8 between Herbert and Claypool and 3-4 spread between the rest of the recievers/backs.

My projections for Kmet this season are roughly 100 targets 75 catches for 750 yards and 7TDs which puts him in the TE 5-6 range. Is that production worth the kind of money he was given? I dunno. Given the number of solid TEs coming out in the past few years, I'm leaning toward no. Then again, it takes a solid 2-3 years for TEs to adjust to the NFL game. As that goes, I'm in...for now.

NFL GMs are dumb.
Bears have made some interesting moves this offseason:

Sign 2 off ball LB's to pretty big deals when hardly anyone is paying LBs anymore
Pass on drafting Jalen Carter 2x
Sign an average Tight end to a contract extension putting him in the top 8 of tight end salaries.

4/50 contract extension.

This really depends on how Eberflus decides to use him in the offense. My expectations for the season are at least a 50% increase in passing attemps, from a meager 22 per game to roughly the league average of 33. Target distribution should cascade from Moore to Mooney/Kmet to Claypool/Herbert and then leftovers. Breaking that down, I see Moore at ~10, Mooney and Kmet getting roughly 6 each, 8 between Herbert and Claypool and 3-4 spread between the rest of the recievers/backs.

My projections for Kmet this season are roughly 100 targets 75 catches for 750 yards and 7TDs which puts him in the TE 5-6 range. Is that production worth the kind of money he was given? I dunno. Given the number of solid TEs coming out in the past few years, I'm leaning toward no. Then again, it takes a solid 2-3 years for TEs to adjust to the NFL game. As that goes, I'm in...for now.
You are a lot higher on Kmet than I am. Those numbers are basically what Mark Andrews did last year.

I think he stays about where he was last year, but with fewer TDs. I think he's a middling TE2 more in line with a guy like Gerald Everett. I think 80 targets and 60 catches is my expectation with like 4 TDs. Kmet had 1 game over 45 yards before Mooney got hurt.

I think Moore tops 1000 yards, and Mooney finishes 2nd in receiving. Claypool is a complete wildcard.

NFL GMs are dumb.
I get RB values are low, but it does seem really wrong to me that Kmet basically just signed the same deal Derrick Henry signed a couple years ago.

I'm not on the RBs are underpaid bandwagon, but looking at the salaries of TEs, I'm starting to think TEs that aren't top guys (Kmet, H. Henry, Knox) and even guys like Njoku and Engram are pretty overpaid in comparison to the top RBs.

I get Kelce, Kittle, Andrews, and even guys like Goedert and Waller making that much, but its wild that CMC and Kamara are the only RBs making more than guys like Kmet, H. Henry and Knox, there is no way those guys are more valuable players than say Ekeler, or Jacobs.

Could not agree with this more...as for these good but nothing special TEs it is interesting because from a supply and demand lens I'm not sure why you need to give a TE like Kmet that much $ unless you are expecting a dramatic jump in production...blocking is always important but that is not difficult to find...I would not be surprised if Darnell Washington isn't considered elite in that area by the end of the year and the Steelers just got him in the third round...you would think if you were shelling out real $ you would be looking for a legit weapon in the passing game.

This is the 11th biggest current TE contract in amt per year. (The dollar amount, $12.5M/yr, is tied for 9th-11th with Jonnu Smith & Hunter Henry's 2021 deals, but as a percentage of the cap it's actually closer to #12 Zach Ertz's $10.55M/yr deal).

Here's how it slots in relative to other TE contracts signed this year or last year.

$17.0M/yr Darren Waller (2024-26)
$13.8M/yr Evan Engram (2023-25)
$13.7M/yr David Njoku (2022-25)
$13.0M/yr Dawson Knox (2023-26)
$12.5M/yr Cole Kmet (2024-27)
$10.6M/yr Zach Ertz (2022-24)
$8.0M/yr CJ Uzomah (2022-24)
$8.0M/yr Will Dissly (2022-24)
$7.3M/yr Hayden Hurst (2023-25)
$7.0M/yr Josh Oliver (2023-25)
$6.8M/yr Tyler Conklin (2022-24)
$6.3M/yr Dalton Schultz (2023)
$6.0M/yr Gerald Everett (2022-23)
$6.0M/yr Juwan Johnson (2023-24)

Cole Kmet caught 5-of-7 targets for 44 yards in the Bears’ Week 1 loss to the Packers.

Kmet’s biggest gain came on a 15-yard reception with the game already out of reach. The Bears’ TE1 tied for the lead with seven targets on the day, but averaged a mere 8.8 yards per reception. A lack of red zone opportunities by the Bears’ limited Kmet’s scoring chances, but he’ll have a chance to bounce back in Week 2 against the Buccaneers.

- Rotoworld

I like Kmet, but he just looks so average out there. He gets the yards that are there for him, no more. Decent hands, but slow and can't break tackles.

I raged dropped Pitts for Kmet. Much better opportunity:

Less competition for targets amongst all possible pass catchers

Crappier D will favor pass happy game script

Better QB (gulp)

No Jonnu Smith

No Arthur Smith

Choo choo!

Hate that I had the foresight to pick him up for nothing after waivers this week. Then proceeded to drop him on an impulse drop before the week started for a marginal player. So now I won't be getting him. I hate overthinking things.
Haha I drafted him and dropped him early because he hadnt done anything. Somebody else got him off the waiver wire and dropped him last week. Now in here stuck with Pits making a decent size WW for my previous draft pick. I suspect I will get him and end up dropping him again. He doesnt seem to do well under my coaching it seems. So then I will drop him and the other dude will pay to pick him up. Im pretty sure we are in a race to see how much faab money we can spend and get nothing out of him lol

The more I look into this guy and his blocking, underlying numbers and wonder if he's a pretty underrated player?

24.5, 2nd round pick, explosive linear athlete, ideal size, early producer with a good track record, strong efficiency numbers.

He sure seems like a guy who is in the TE 5-9 range and given his age, likely to be ascending still.

The more I look into this guy and his blocking, underlying numbers and wonder if he's a pretty underrated player?

24.5, 2nd round pick, explosive linear athlete, ideal size, early producer with a good track record, strong efficiency numbers.

He sure seems like a guy who is in the TE 5-9 range and given his age, likely to be ascending still.
And a guy, that for some reason is still available in my fairly competitor league on the wire.

And a guy, that for some reason is still available in my fairly competitor league on the wire.
So this week I have Kittle on bye and I was planning on just adding either Parham or Everett Monday to play. A guy in my league has Pierce and due to byes, nobody to replace him with. He offered me Kmet for Singletary. I get that the RB is much more valuable than TE but for me Kmet could actually be an answer at TE if something happens to Kittle. It's really hard for me to see how my team is winning if I have to rely on Devin Singletary beyond a 1 or 2 week fill-in. Considering both my lead RBs have had their byes already, I snap accepted the trade despite the positional value.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread