What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

TE Cole Kmet, CHI (1 Viewer)

Cole Kmet caught 6-of-9 targets for 71 yards in the Bears' Week 15 loss to the Vikings.

With Allen Robinson out with COVID and Marquise Goodwin (foot) inactive, the Bears were left with Darnell Mooney, Kmet, and David Montgomery as their means of offense. Kmet's targets, catches, and yards led the team. His 71 yards were Kmet's second most of the season, and he's yet to score a touchdown. Kmet is an allergic-to-TDs TE2 for next week's date with the Seahawks.

Dec 20, 2021, 11:48 PM ET

Bears offensive coordinator Luke Getsy said Cole Kmet will play "different roles" in the team's passing game this season. 

Entering his third NFL season, Kmet will look to build on his 60 receptions (12th most among tight ends) on 89 targets (9th) in 2021. “I’ve been very impressed with Cole,” Getsy said. “Again that mindset that we’re trying to set, he’s been a great example of that as well. And you go back to that thing we talked about before, just the ability, the flexibility as a player, I think he has all that stuff. So I’m excited to see him have a bunch of different roles in our offense. Some players that are out there they’re kind of like this is what they do well. But I think the more guys that you can get in a system that can do a bunch of different things, the more success you’re going to have and I think Cole is one of those guys.” Even a slightly improved Chicago passing attack could make Kmet a reasonable every-week starter in 12-team formats this year. Justin Fields in 2021 had his highest adjusted yards per attempt (6.1) when targeting Kmet. 

SOURCE: The Athletic 

May 9, 2022, 9:25 AM ET

How do you mean? Haven't seen him play but the targets look there and I am a fan of age and measurables. Is he just not good? lol.
Bears I’m guessing project to score just under 2 tds per game. 1.9 last year.

I see an inefficient season like 120 targets, 85 catches 750 yards 5 touchdowns from him.  I think he’s undervalued for sure but he’s not jumping tiers unless that whole offense improves.

I like him and have him on a couple of teams.  It wouldn't surprise me if he led the Bears in receiving next year.  That doesn't mean he's going to have a 1000 yard season but it might not take much more then 700 yards to be the team leader in receiving for CHI next year.

I like him and have him on a couple of teams.  It wouldn't surprise me if he led the Bears in receiving next year.  That doesn't mean he's going to have a 1000 yard season but it might not take much more then 700 yards to be the team leader in receiving for CHI next year.
So you see a career year for Kmet and a regression for Mooney? 

I do think Mooney is still most likely to lead the team in receiving, but I think Kmet starts putting it together this year and we see a good improvement.  ETA - Another reason I like Kmet to show significant improvement is because young QBs often lean on their TE if they have a good one like Kmet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bears I’m guessing project to score just under 2 tds per game. 1.9 last year.

I see an inefficient season like 120 targets, 85 catches 750 yards 5 touchdowns from him.  I think he’s undervalued for sure but he’s not jumping tiers unless that whole offense improves.

If he puts up those #'s he is jumping a tier as he goes from 60-612-0 to 85-750-5...doesn't make him all-world but at age 23 it puts him on the doorstep of a nice run of top 10 seasons.

I do think Mooney is still most likely to lead the team in receiving, but I think Kmet starts putting it together this year and we see a good improvement. 
I can see a situation where Kmet leads the team in receiving. With Mooney having little help around him at the WR position, have to imagine that secondaries will be bracketing coverage on him. While he's proven to be a very good receiver, I'm not sure Mooney is that good to produce regardless, possibly opening up a lot of targets for Kmet.

If he puts up those #'s he is jumping a tier as he goes from 60-612-0 to 85-750-5...doesn't make him all-world but at age 23 it puts him on the doorstep of a nice run of top 10 seasons.
I just did a little more math and looked at Clay's projections. I think you're right. He had 93 targets last year and for some reason I figured with Robinson gone and defenses keying in on Mooney, there it wouldn't be much of a leap to project him to get a bump into being a 120 target guy. Looking now at the '21 target leaders on a per game basis:

9.0 Andrews

8.5 Waller

8.4 Kelce

7.3 Gronk

7.0 Hockensen

6.7-6.5- Kittle/Ertz/Gisecki/Pitts

6.1 Schultz

5.7-5.1- Higbee/Fant/Kmet/Cook/Conklin/Godert

Friermuth came on late obviously with a 6 targets/game over his last 11 games.

So even an inefficient 120 targets definitely puts him jumping a tier. That feels, in retrospect, like a pretty big jump but may be justified. That offense though. Yikes.

Andrews and Kelce I think you have to assume that with their teams losing their top WR, they're not losing targets. If anything more but age might start catching up with Kelce. Andrews obviously. Both of these guys...

Waller has to suffer there in LV. Supreme talent but Adams is going to eat into those targets.  Not sure how much lower on the list he goes but I love the talent. You have to have him in your top 4 I think. Renfrow loses more than Waller IMO. 

Pitts to the moon is great but tough to know how much Mariota/Ridder/ London can be a better environment for him to start scoring TDs. Shame Pitts first 3 years will be wasted on bad QB/offense. They're probably drafting a QB next year that'll take a year to (hopefully) be good. So Pitts looks like your TE1 in 2024, yay? I think he's going to have a tough time being a top 4 guy.

Hock will be fine but that offense will have legit WRs as the year goes on. Offense up, target competition up too. So modest bump down but his talent is immense so the potential for him to become dominant will be always present. 

Gronk's going to Gronk, after he signs.

Kittle is a beast and should be featured in SF. Deebo obviously is talented but there's no way he repeats 2021. 

Schultz should continue to be a top target in Dallas. Cooper is gone but if Gallup is healthy and if Tolbert is good, he could lose some targets for sure. He's a guy everyone's in on that feels like he could be TE5 or TE15. 

Gisecki keeps being a better fantasy TE than people project him to be. Will this be the year that that Hill/Waddle is too much WR talent for him to overcome? Does McDaniel even have a role for a TE that isn't a badass blocker? The floor is low but dude keeps producing. It's funny we think of RBs as being "next man up" league winners but these TEs can absolutely soak up fantasy points when WRs go down. 

Eagles with AJB/Smith and Godert is a rising tide but the limitations of their passing game plus target competition have to bump him down.

Ertz might be the interesting guy with a wide range of outcomes to take a late shot on.

So Kmet could easily jump a tier this year but it's tough to see him get into the top 6 where they're making a huge difference in your lineup. Maybe if Fields takes the leap, Kmet goes with him. To the stratosphere!!! I haven't been playing long enough to see how these guys careers progress. 

I just did a little more math and looked at Clay's projections. I think you're right. He had 93 targets last year and for some reason I figured with Robinson gone and defenses keying in on Mooney, there it wouldn't be much of a leap to project him to get a bump into being a 120 target guy. Looking now at the '21 target leaders on a per game basis:

9.0 Andrews

8.5 Waller

8.4 Kelce

7.3 Gronk

7.0 Hockensen

6.1 Schultz

So even an inefficient 120 targets definitely puts him jumping a tier. That feels, in retrospect, like a pretty big jump but may be justified. That offense though. Yikes.

Andrews and Kelce I think you have to assume that with their teams losing their top WR, they're not losing targets. If anything more but age might start catching up with Kelce. Andrews obviously. Both of these guys...

Waller has to suffer there in LV. Supreme talent but Adams is going to eat into those targets.  Not sure how much lower on the list he goes but I love the talent. You have to have him in your top 4 I think. Renfrow loses more than Waller IMO. 

Pitts to the moon is great but tough to know how much Mariota/Ridder/ London can be a better environment for him to start scoring TDs. Shame Pitts first 3 years will be wasted on bad QB/offense. They're probably drafting a QB next year that'll take a year to (hopefully) be good. So Pitts looks like your TE1 in 2024, yay? I think he's going to have a tough time being a top 4 guy.

Hock will be fine but that offense will have legit WRs as the year goes on. Offense up, target competition up too. So modest bump down but his talent is immense so the potential for him to become dominant will be always present. 

Kittle is a beast and should be featured in SF. Deebo obviously is talented but there's no way he repeats 2021. 

Schultz should continue to be a top target in Dallas. Cooper is gone but if Gallup is healthy and if Tolbert is good, he could lose some targets for sure. He's a guy everyone's in on that feels like he could be TE5 or TE15. 

Gisecki keeps being a better fantasy TE than people project him to be. Will this be the year that that Hill/Waddle is too much WR talent for him to overcome? Does McDaniel even have a role for a TE that isn't a badass blocker? The floor is low but dude keeps producing. It's funny we think of RBs as being "next man up" league winners but these TEs can absolutely soak up fantasy points when WRs go down. 

Eagles with AJB/Smith and Godert is a rising tide but the limitations of their passing game plus target competition have to bump him down.

Ertz might be the interesting guy with a wide range of outcomes to take a late shot on.

So Kmet could easily jump a tier this year but it's tough to see him get into the top 6 where they're making a huge difference in your lineup. Maybe if Fields takes the leap, Kmet goes with him. To the stratosphere!!! I haven't been playing long enough to see how these guys careers progress. 
The bad news with Kmet is the offense…the good news with Kmet is the offense…they really don’t have many weapons so if he takes his game to the next level he could be in line for some puffed up stats…at the end of last year he started looking the part…I am hoping that continues and turns into a TE that is reliable top 10 option for a long time…it is year 3 for him and it’s time to figure out what he is.

Last 9 games of the season prorated to a full season put him on pace for 107/72/783/0. 

I feel like that's in range of his floor provided good health.  During that time he was TE17 on average in PPR leagues and really had no value, to push into the top 5 with that kind of production he's need something close to be averaging half a TD a game.

A 6'6" TE  with a 37" vertical catching 60 balls and not scoring a TD sure seems odd. Only got 3 targets inside the 10 yard line all year.

In the end I feel pretty bullish on his odds to hit at least 70/700 but that's useless without the TD's so I keep coming back to that being the key, he's got to start getting in the paint.  Again from a size and athletic angle it's mystifying why he's not a bigger factor in the redzone.

He just turned 23.  Most of our top fantasy TE's took big leaps in production from year one to two so you like seeing that. He's going to be heavily involved this year and as I keep saying just needs TD's and if he does he'll be very useful and well worth a second if you need TE help.

But long term, despite his youth, I feel like he's a Kyle Rudolph level talent but without the red zone chops. He's the rare 23 year old I might value more in redraft then dynasty. I personally think the play in dynasty is to enjoy what he gives you this year and then look to move on as the assumption will be he's on the rise but when Bears get some competent weapons in the passing game my guess is his usage will fall considerably and he'll be more of that 50/500 type.

He didn't catch TD's cos they put Jimmy Graham in ahead of basically every time they got to the redzone. 

Came here to say this  :thumbup:

Except it's a false narrative.

Kmet had 12 red zone targets to Graham's 8.

Truth is for whatever reasons exist Kmet's had one  decent year he got in the end zone and that was his last year in college. In his other 4 combined college and pro seasons he's got a total of two TD's. That is total. Two!

I don't know why a 6'6" big bodied TE with a 37" vertical is not a big red zone threat but he just has not been and it's not because of Graham stealing all the targets. He needs to come around on this to be good for fantasy, the catches and yards should be available.

:blackdot:    Relying on him as my TE1 in a TE-premium league.  I do have Albert O as well, but not expecting as much out of him.  Also have Gronk as a fallback, but hoping Kmet cracks the top-10 or better.  It's possible.

Is Cole Kmet the Frog ready to leap into the TE1 territory?

Cole Kmet is entering a crucial third year...

...Many tight ends break out in their third year, which is why this year is so crucial. Cole Kmet had a mini-breakout last year despite not catching any touchdowns. That’s due to Jimmy Graham and not Kmet. Graham is gone, and Kmet’s the lead dog in the tight end room for the Chicago Bears in 2022. Expect Cole to open some eyes this year, either in a good or bad way.

Cole Kmet 2021 Season

One can easily say that Cole Kmet’s 2021 season was a success. He more than doubled his career yardage, receptions, and targets. Granted, he failed to catch a touchdown due to Jimmy. Cole started all 17 games, playing 83% of the team’s offensive snaps. He saw 93 targets and caught 60 of them for 612 yards. This equates to a very healthy 10.2 yards per reception.

Kmet had to battle with Graham for red zone targets while dealing with a flurry of quarterback changes. It didn’t help that he had a head coach way in over his head. After seeing what Kmet had to go through on the Bears in 2021, I’d say he showcased a lot of talent and composure. Cole was a steady, reliable tight end and TE2 in fantasy.

Cole Kmet 2022 Season Outlook

In 2022, Cole Kmet will be playing to prove he’s worth a big-money extension. He’ll also ...

---------------------------------------------------

Go to the link for the full read.

Is Cole Kmet the Frog ready to leap into the TE1 territory?

Cole Kmet is entering a crucial third year...

...Many tight ends break out in their third year, which is why this year is so crucial. Cole Kmet had a mini-breakout last year despite not catching any touchdowns. That’s due to Jimmy Graham and not Kmet. Graham is gone, and Kmet’s the lead dog in the tight end room for the Chicago Bears in 2022. Expect Cole to open some eyes this year, either in a good or bad way.

Cole Kmet 2021 Season

One can easily say that Cole Kmet’s 2021 season was a success. He more than doubled his career yardage, receptions, and targets. Granted, he failed to catch a touchdown due to Jimmy. Cole started all 17 games, playing 83% of the team’s offensive snaps. He saw 93 targets and caught 60 of them for 612 yards. This equates to a very healthy 10.2 yards per reception.

Kmet had to battle with Graham for red zone targets while dealing with a flurry of quarterback changes. It didn’t help that he had a head coach way in over his head. After seeing what Kmet had to go through on the Bears in 2021, I’d say he showcased a lot of talent and composure. Cole was a steady, reliable tight end and TE2 in fantasy.

Cole Kmet 2022 Season Outlook

In 2022, Cole Kmet will be playing to prove he’s worth a big-money extension. He’ll also ...

---------------------------------------------------

Go to the link for the full read.

Good article...they are dead-on...I am cautiously optimistic about him as everything appears to be in place for him to make a leap...he needs to prove he can be a reliable fantasy TE this year...if not, it will be time to move on...the fact that he is only 23 is a nice little bonus as far as Dynasty goes.

Kmet is probably my favorite later round TE that has the potential to really surprise on the upside.

A lot of drafters are scared off by Fields and the Bears offense - and no TDs by Kmet last year - but he's in line for a lot of targets competing with only Mooney. That's what I want with my TE - being no worse than the second option in the passing game.

Last edited:
Kmet is probably my favorite later round TE that has the potential to really surprise on the upside.

A lot of drafters are scared off by Fields and the Bears offense - and no TDs by Kmet last year - but he's in line for a lot of targets competing with only Mooney. That's what I want with my TE - being no worse than the second option in the passing game.
I'm with you. If I can't get a top three or four guy, I'm waiting on Kmet later.

Cole Kmet caught 3-of-3 targets for 36 yards and a touchdown in Saturday's preseason finale against the Bengals.​

Kmet's touchdown was a 24-yard strike from Justin Fields. It was his first score of the preseason, not to mention more than he managed in all of 2021. If not for that flukily-low touchdown total, Kmet would be generating more hype. As it is, he is being drafted as a TE1 on Underdog and creeping up on ESPN and Yahoo. Considering the Bears' acute targets need and Kmet's already solid 2021 usage, he is a decent "making the leap" candidate.
Aug 27, 2022, 10:06 PM ET

9.0 Andrews

8.5 Waller

8.4 Kelce

7.3 Gronk

7.0 Hockensen

6.1 Schultz

Waller has to suffer there in LV. Supreme talent but Adams is going to eat into those targets. Not sure how much lower on the list he goes but I love the talent. You have to have him in your top 4 I think. Renfrow loses more than Waller IMO.

Wanna update any of this? Good stuff back in May

He didn't catch TD's cos they put Jimmy Graham in ahead of basically every time they got to the redzone.

Came here to say this :thumbup:

Except it's a false narrative.

Kmet had 12 red zone targets to Graham's 8.

Truth is for whatever reasons exist Kmet's had one decent year he got in the end zone and that was his last year in college. In his other 4 combined college and pro seasons he's got a total of two TD's. That is total. Two!

I don't know why a 6'6" big bodied TE with a 37" vertical is not a big red zone threat but he just has not been and it's not because of Graham stealing all the targets. He needs to come around on this to be good for fantasy, the catches and yards should be available.

The Bears offense only had 60 red zone targets total, compared to 151 rushing attempts. The fact that Kmet had 20% of the red zone targets is pretty encouraging IMO.

They were in mass protection and couldn’t get anything going in the rain. I wonder how many routes he ran today

Cole Kmet was held to zero catches on one target in the Bears' Week 1 win over the 49ers.

Ouch. While there is no way to sugarcoat a zero-catch performance, it did come on an afternoon where rain-soaked Chicago conditions limited Justin Fields to just eight completions on 17 attempts. It was also versus an elite defense that held Fields in check the rare times the elements cooperated. Perhaps that is excuse making, but we fully expect Kmet's fortunes to improve for Week 2 against the Packers, where he can be treated as a high-end TE2.

- NBCSportsEDGE

I can't imagine the Bears' passing game won't improve a little as the season goes on ... but we should feel no obligation to wait for that to happen.

Welcome to Dumpsville, Cole. Population: You (and Mooney)

Users who are viewing this thread