What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

TE Darnell Washington, PIT (1 Viewer)

Chris Simms’ 2023 NFL Draft TE Rankings: Dalton Kincaid a tier above the rest

Excerpt:

No. 5: Darnell Washington, Georgia

What Simms said: “If there’s gonna be a Gronk in this class, it’s gonna be this guy. You gotta put it together a little bit and all that. But first off, he’s a monster. I mean, a monster. Second off, he’s an insane blocker. You want to compare a blocker to Gronk, we’ve got a guy. If he’s at the line of scrimmage, he’s like having another tackle in the football game … He kind of likes smashing people. And if you’re smaller, he really likes to let you know you’re smaller.”

KPRC2's Aaron Wilson reports Georgia TE Darnell Washington has been pushed down some teams' draft boards due to a knee injury.

Washington had some late first-round and early Day 2 projections going into the draft. The injury concerns were enough to push him out of the second round and have him at risk of falling out of Day 2. South Dakota State's Tucker Kraft and Penn State TE Brenton Strange were both drafted ahead of Washington in Round 2.
SOURCE: Aaron Wilson on Twitter
Apr 28, 2023 at 9:24 PM ET

Steelers selected Georgia TE Darnell Washington with the No. 93 overall pick in the 2023 NFL Draft.​

Washington (6’7/264) doesn’t enter the NFL with a profile similar to many elite tight ends. Before 2022, he had just 17 catches for 320 yards and a lone touchdown. The five-star recruit did, however, log over 200 blocking snaps in his freshman and sophomore seasons. Then, as a junior, Washington broke out with a 28-452-4 receiving line. He led all Power Five tight ends with a least 30 targets in yards per reception and only two players averaged more yards after the catch. One of the two players ahead of him was fellow Georgia tight end Brock Bowers, who played a major role in limiting Washington to a part-time role. Washington isn’t going to win with crafty route-running or immaculate hands, but he leverages his monstrous frame to win in the passing game and is a downright punishing blocker. His No. 15 all-time RAS among tight ends speaks to his absurd mismatch potential. However, he won't see much work as a pass-catcher in 2023. Sitting behind Pat Freiermuth, Washington will have to earn his snaps as a blocker and red zone threat.
Apr 28, 2023, 10:49 PM ET

Steelers selected Georgia TE Darnell Washington with the No. 93 overall pick in the 2023 NFL Draft.​

Washington (6’7/264) doesn’t enter the NFL with a profile similar to many elite tight ends. Before 2022, he had just 17 catches for 320 yards and a lone touchdown. The five-star recruit did, however, log over 200 blocking snaps in his freshman and sophomore seasons. Then, as a junior, Washington broke out with a 28-452-4 receiving line. He led all Power Five tight ends with a least 30 targets in yards per reception and only two players averaged more yards after the catch. One of the two players ahead of him was fellow Georgia tight end Brock Bowers, who played a major role in limiting Washington to a part-time role. Washington isn’t going to win with crafty route-running or immaculate hands, but he leverages his monstrous frame to win in the passing game and is a downright punishing blocker. His No. 15 all-time RAS among tight ends speaks to his absurd mismatch potential. However, he won't see much work as a pass-catcher in 2023. Sitting behind Pat Freiermuth, Washington will have to earn his snaps as a blocker and red zone threat.
Apr 28, 2023, 10:49 PM ET
Yuck

He is now waiver wire fodder in your fantasy leagues.
Agree. It will take at least three years until he’s show any value and you’d drop him before then. He’s an interesting NFL player but there’s only so many balls to go around from a shaky second year QB.

Draft deep dive: How realistic are comparisons between Darnell Washington and Rob Gronkowski?

Already, Steelers fans are debating whether this guy will be the next Rob Gronkowski or whether he's going to play more of a classic tight end role in Pittsburgh. Where do you think he falls on that spectrum?

I land somewhere in between. I don’t think he’s going to be the next Gronk unless he really makes steps as a route-runner. I don’t know that he’ll be asked to do that in Pittsburgh’s offense. At the same time, I don’t buy the notion that he’s more of a classic tight end who’ll be used simply as a run-blocker even though he’s mainly lining up inline. Don’t get it twisted. He’s essentially an extra offensive tackle. The guy is an absolute force in the ground game, and you can tell he’s totally bought in on that side of it. But he was never the best tight end on his own team in college because he spent the last two years with Brock Bowers. He’s going into a situation wherein Matt Canada would be foolish not to take a page out of the Todd Monken playbook (now the Ravens offensive coordinator) and use Washington in tons of 12-personnel sets.

"Sloppy" is the word NFL.com scout Lance Zierlein used to describe his technique as a blocker. But he wrote that Washington has all the tools to be a great run blocker eventually. How much work is between here and there? And does Washington have the makeup to do it?

He might be “sloppy,” but when you’re Washington’s unique size, you can still be pretty darn good. I believe Washington is already an exceptional run blocker and it’s what gives him such a high floor. I do believe that Washington has the right makeup for that because if he wasn’t totally bought into that part of the game, he would’ve left Georgia last year to be featured more prominently in the passing game instead of being second fiddle to Bowers.

Is there any element of his game that you think could explain his fall to No. 93 overall other than a medical/knee issue?

I was somewhat baffled at that because nobody who had covered the team had heard about a medical issue until right before the start of the second round. I believe that seven tight ends being drafted ahead of Washington is somewhat insane. Sure, he’s got to show he can be a bit more precise in his route-running and he’s probably not going to win a ton of those 1-on-1 battles as a pass-catcher. Yet. But I think some teams were scared off by the notion that he never really took off as a receiver. He flashed some freakish open-field ability. You don’t want to have to take that guy down if he gets the ball in the flat. He can run over you with a hurdle or a truck stick. Perhaps he’s a bit more scheme-dependent than guys like Dalton Kincaid or Michael Mayer, but you can’t tell me that Washington will end up being the eighth-best tight end in this class.

Like the Steelers, Georgia has a lot of talent in the tight end room, with Bowers at the top of the list. How did those two complement each other in Athens? And what do you think that says about the future relationship with Pat Freiermuth?

It’s actually a great fit. The casual fan should already know Bowers, but what they might not know is that Washington played nearly 700 snaps with 40% of them coming as a receiver. That’s the beauty of Monken’s offense and the 12 personnel that Georgia embraced. Washington was an unselfish key contributor for a 15-0 Georgia team that did all the little things well. Washington loves the dirty work. He’s a punishing run blocker and he takes great pride in blocking downfield (legally), and he doesn’t check out of a game if he only gets targeted twice. It’s an excellent complement to Freiermuth, even if the raw numbers don’t ever yield Pro Bowl upside.

How do you think his body will hold up to the abuse of the AFC North? He's probably going to take a beating.

I get that sentiment with the knee concerns. But ask anyone — and I mean anyone — about the first time they stood next to Washington. He’s a unicorn. I’ve never seen anything like it at the college level, and even in the NFL, you’d be hard-pressed to see anyone towering at a chiseled 6-foot-7, 265 pounds. The fact that he is savvy enough to hurdle guys in the open field tells you about his mindset. He’ll take on contact with that frame, but he’s athletic enough to avoid it in those spots. Washington’s frame stood out at the five-star factory that is Georgia, which is next to impossible to do. As long as those knee issues aren’t a potentially career-ending deal, he seems like he was built out of a lab to play in the AFC North.

Steelers got a potential steal in the 3rd round...I think this kid has a chance to be a very good real football player...the question for us is can he be fantasy relevant.

It's a damn shame he went to Pittsburgh. This was a nice TE class that could have been much better had Washington landed in a better spot.

It's a damn shame he went to Pittsburgh. This was a nice TE class that could have been much better had Washington landed in a better spot.
Washington has TD upside, no?

TE is mostly pedestrian. TD's are what matter for the non-elite TE options. Washington should fill this role nicely

TE is mostly pedestrian. TD's are what matter for the non-elite TE options. Washington should fill this role nicely
How much with Freiermuth there?
I agree. Muth and Washington cap each other.

Would you throw the ball to Muth or Washington in the redzone? I'm throwing to the mountain that is Washington!

Would you throw the ball to Muth or Washington in the redzone? I'm throwing to the mountain that is Washington!
Muth is 6’5” 250 and has an established track record. I don’t think any QB is going to not throw his way because they are worried he’s too small. Plus it’s probably more likely Washington is blocking while Muth is running a GL route.

Muth is 6’5” 250 and has an established track record. I don’t think any QB is going to not throw his way because they are worried he’s too small. Plus it’s probably more likely Washington is blocking while Muth is running a GL route.
I'm not taking away anything from Muth

You might be right y1. I'd bet on Washington finding some type of receiving role eventually

I'm not taking away anything from Muth

You might be right y1. I'd bet on Washington finding some type of receiving role eventually
He’s going to be blocking most of the time. He graded very high as a blocker I believe.

I think the hope is Washinton is a diamond in the rough. I know that's why I drafted him in dynasty, because at his post-draft value they are pretty much dart throws anyhow. I'd prefer to throw a dart of someone who's ceiling potentially profiles as a top 5 TE than a ceiling WR2. The odds for the former are certainly less than the latter, but I can only guess that was the Steelers thinking. They are definitely getting an amazing blocker, who many are saying will be like an additional offensive lineman rather than just a good blocking tight end. And if he never becomes more than that, it's fine. But they will also be hoping he surpasses Friermuth and becomes a Gronk-like offensive weapon. AgaIn, low odds, but I think still better odds than Friermuth of ever developing into that.

Agreed. There are a lot of mouths to feed in Pittsburgh and grabbing a pass-blocking, rookie TE like Washington doesn't make much sense. Even in TE premium there are almost always better dart throws to make as long as Friermuth is around.

The likelihood Washington is more valuable a year from now seems rather remote. Only real path seems to be 4-5 goal line TDs this season that could put him above many other TE prospects entering 2024.

Big UGA fan here...haven't missed a snap in 20 years. Followed Darnell from HS all the way through. Great man, unbelievable athlete, so powerful. He doesn't have natural hands, not saying they won't develop at some point, but this guy will not be a relevant fantasy asset this year unless a miracle happens. However, he is the equivalent of having a 6th tackle - he will see the field a LOT. UGA has the best TE in college by a mile in Brock Bowers, and Darnell rarely left the field. However, he was used as a 6th tackle almost always. Go look at this guys highlight film of him absolutely mauling DE's and OLB's creating massive lanes - it's impressive. This is yet another reason I am super high on JK Dobbins.

Last edited:
Big UGA fan here...haven't missed a snap in 20 years. Followed Darnell from HS all the way through. Great man, unbelievable athlete, so powerful. He doesn't have natural hands, not saying they won't develop at some point, but this guy will not be a relevant fantasy asset this year unless a miracle happens. However, he is the equivalent of having a 6th tackle - he will see the field a LOT. UGA has the best TE in college by a mile in Brock Bowers, and Darnell rarely left the field. However, he was used as a 6th tackle almost always. Go look at this guys highlight film of him absolutely mauling DE's and OLB's creating massive lanes - it's impressive. This is yet another reason I am super high on JK Dobbins.
Good post until the Dobbins part. It's a sign. I need more JK Dobbins on my rosters!

yeah that and the lumbering, rounded off route running leads me to conclude its highly unlikely he'll ever be much of a FF asset. in some respects Jelani Woods (rookie last year) is the same guy but with better hands, an actual history of production, and marginally better athleticism.

gonna have a great career, though - dude is an impressive football player, they'll always be a place for a 3rd OT who excels at his craft.

Washington has a chance to be a better Daniel Graham when he was with the Pats...Graham was drafted in the 1st as more of a receiving threat and never lived-up to what they thought he was going to be as far as that part of the game...he was athletic and effective and had some big moments during their back-to-back Super Bowl titles but he was never the offensive weapon they thought they were getting...the good news for the Pats was he made up for it by being a devastating blocker which made him a high-quality TE...Washington comes in reverse as everyone agrees he will be a great blocker and the question is just how productive he will be in the receiving game.

Washington has a chance to be a better Daniel Graham when he was with the Pats...Graham was drafted in the 1st as more of a receiving threat and never lived-up to what they thought he was going to be as far as that part of the game...he was athletic and effective and had some big moments during their back-to-back Super Bowl titles but he was never the offensive weapon they thought they were getting...the good news for the Pats was he made up for it by being a devastating blocker which made him a high-quality TE...Washington comes in reverse as everyone agrees he will be a great blocker and the question is just how productive he will be in the receiving game.

there have been a few of those kinds of TEs over the years. almost every year, though usually absent the universal fawning. have any of them ever become a fantasy star? seems like every top TE was either a receiving TE from the jump who or an all arounder who still needed to (50/50 if they eventually did) refine their blocking. drawing a blank on any elite inline blocker becoming a great TE. Gronk was injury prone even in college and still needed a lot of refinement to his blocker - though that part was easy to predict, he always loved blocking. most inline guys tend to be random RZ targets who pick up scraps like leaking out after chipping or turn/catch/go down receivers.

there have been a few of those kinds of TEs over the years. almost every year, though usually absent the universal fawning. have any of them ever become a fantasy star? seems like every top TE was either a receiving TE from the jump who or an all arounder who still needed to (50/50 if they eventually did) refine their blocking. drawing a blank on any elite inline blocker becoming a great TE. Gronk was injury prone even in college and still needed a lot of refinement to his blocker - though that part was easy to predict, he always loved blocking. most inline guys tend to be random RZ targets who pick up scraps like leaking out after chipping or turn/catch/go down receivers.

My guess is he will be effective in the receiving game in "real football"...capable of big games/plays and someone who will definitely have to be accounted for but as far as fantasy goes, he will never be a #1 or someone you can trust...that being said the kid is 21 and an athletic freak and very worthy of a roster spot in Dynasty because you just never know.

Last edited:
Good post until the Dobbins part. It's a sign. I need more JK Dobbins on my rosters!

He must have meant to type Jaylen Warren starting with a J and all

If I were a real football team owner, Darnell would definitely have a place on my roster.

As a fantasy football team owner, I prefer that Darnell has a place on my opponent's roster.

Darnell Washington reminds me somewhat bit shade of Martellus Bennett. Agreed that Washington will see majority of time on the field as blocker (de facto six tackle). Perhaps Steelers develop him as LT or RT of the future if this comes around to it. (Beside, he should know that the good tackles get paid more than elite TEs.)

Steelers Depot’s Alex Koroza believes TE Darnell Washington will be a “big-time red zone weapon” as a rookie.
Koroza noted that Washington hadn’t seen the ball much in camp, but when he had, it was in the red zone. He expects similar usage for the rookie in the regular season. Koroza counted eight receptions for Washington in 11-on-11 drills, four of which were touchdowns. That all checks out for the hulking rookie. He was used extensively on play-action and as a blocker at Georgia but was firmly stuck behind future first-round pick Brock Bowers on the depth chart. Washington isn’t on the redraft radar, though he could emerge as a touchdown vulture to the Steelers players fantasy managers are currently drafting.

Maybe I'm being shortsighted, but as long as Freiermuth is healthy I don't see it. It's hard enough to get excited about the starter, let alone the backup.

NFL Rookie Watch
This CATCH by Darnell Washington 😳

6’7”, 266 pounds should NOT be able to do this.

Washington said recently that he’s “100%” seeing more opportunities as a receiver than he did at Georgia.
Washington even reportedly recently “beat” Minkah Fitzpatrick in a one-on-one drill and held his own in blocking against TJ Watt.The Steelers rookie TE is a FREAK.(Via MikeDeFabo/TW)

NFL Rookie Watch
This CATCH by Darnell Washington 😳

6’7”, 266 pounds should NOT be able to do this.

Washington said recently that he’s “100%” seeing more opportunities as a receiver than he did at Georgia.
Washington even reportedly recently “beat” Minkah Fitzpatrick in a one-on-one drill and held his own in blocking against TJ Watt.The Steelers rookie TE is a FREAK.(Via MikeDeFabo/TW)
This is that feeling of holding a lotto ticket before the drawing and dreaming of everything you could buy when it hits, while simultaneously completely ignoring the actual odds of it hitting. And I love every second of it lol. It may be short lived, but it's oh so sweet.

Users who are viewing this thread