What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

TE Devin Funchess, Lions (1 Viewer)

BassNBrew said:
How long did Benjamin last in Buffalo?  Where has Ginn even sniffed the production he saw in Carolina not once, but twice?  Was Olsen relevant before he came to Carolina?

I've appreciated some of the pro Funchess comments because they've forced me to re think some things.  That said, we could be looking at Funchess busting and be scratching our heads saying "but he had such a high TD% with Cam as his QB"
Interestingly, Ginn's last year in Charlotte and first in NO are pretty much identical (54/752/4 vs 53/787/4) despite having much less targets in NO (95 vs 70)

I could go either way on Funchess.  However, people are ignoring he was on a 72/890/6 pace before Cam's injury last year.  That seems in line with some of the projects I have seen here.

MAC_32 said:
Nah. The Benjamin career arc is the most likely path right now. There's just reason to believe it may not. His talent is unique enough. Neck-up unfortunately hasnt clicked though. 
Could be right but I doubt it’s for the same reasons. Benjamin is a Haynesworth. Seemed like a work ethic and drive issue for him. Showing up out of shape etc... 

Could be right but I doubt it’s for the same reasons. Benjamin is a Haynesworth. Seemed like a work ethic and drive issue for him. Showing up out of shape etc... 
It wouldn't be.  Benjamin came into the leeg with fat and lazy issues, so him expediting his exit from the leeg due to fat and laziness seemed inevitable.  Funchess came into the leeg with focus and attention to detail issues.  They remain, but a potential attitude problem has also developed.  Was that just a product of his environment? or is that a new normal?  Team's can deal with (some) focus drops as long as you're productive enough.  They aren't going to deal with what he was doing last year though.

I could go either way on Funchess.  However, people are ignoring he was on a 72/890/6 pace before Cam's injury last year.  That seems in line with some of the projects I have seen here.
In the fun game of arbitrary end points I think it's important to note he put up 94 rec/1,273 yards/12 TD's (57% catch rate, 7.7 yards per target) over a 22 game stretch across both 2017 and 2018 - 68 rec/926 yards/9 TD extrapolated for a full season.  But I don't think his production issues late last season were a function of Cam's injury.  The dude quit.  

In the fun game of arbitrary end points I think it's important to note he put up 94 rec/1,273 yards/12 TD's (57% catch rate, 7.7 yards per target) over a 22 game stretch across both 2017 and 2018 - 68 rec/926 yards/9 TD extrapolated for a full season.  But I don't think his production issues late last season were a function of Cam's injury.  The dude quit.  
You could be right, but you could also say that about many Panthers

You could be right, but you could also say that about many Panthers
I certainly didn't watch every one of their games, but that sure wasn't the impression I had and the output from the skill position players does not support that statement.  From a cursory review, the others performed somewhere between better and marginally worse whereas Funchess face planted.  He only caught 15 balls week 8-on, 3 in 5 games across the whole month of December, never had a snap count below 72% through week 11, then in the month of December saw 46%-39%-19%-24%-healthy scratch.

I certainly didn't watch every one of their games, but that sure wasn't the impression I had and the output from the skill position players does not support that statement.  From a cursory review, the others performed somewhere between better and marginally worse whereas Funchess face planted.  He only caught 15 balls week 8-on, 3 in 5 games across the whole month of December, never had a snap count below 72% through week 11, then in the month of December saw 46%-39%-19%-24%-healthy scratch.
The rest of the offense doesn't need Cam to be able to throw more than 10 yards downfield with power though.  DJ, Samuel, and CMC all can operate well near the line of scrimmage.  My comment was less about fantasy production and more the team as a whole.  They lost 7 straight.

Fair point. They also wanted to see what they had in DJ/Samuel down the stretch. He probably knew where he stood with the team in terms of resigning as a UFA. Doesn’t excuse him for quitting if that’s what actually happened. We’ll see.

The rest of the offense doesn't need Cam to be able to throw more than 10 yards downfield with power though.  DJ, Samuel, and CMC all can operate well near the line of scrimmage.  My comment was less about fantasy production and more the team as a whole.  They lost 7 straight.
My quit comment was based on how Funchess actually played.  The team played poorly around Cam's bad shoulder, but I only noticed a lack of effort with Funchess.  Not saying he was the only one, it was just the one I noticed.  And the team then deciding to cut his playing time tells me they saw the same.

Fair point. They also wanted to see what they had in DJ/Samuel down the stretch. He probably knew where he stood with the team in terms of resigning as a UFA. Doesn’t excuse him for quitting if that’s what actually happened. We’ll see.
I agree with all of that.  I feel like I'm taking the con-Funchess angle, but as I wrote before I have Funchess dynasty stock and think he's a hold.  I guess I'm just saying if you're a Funchess buyer (or holder) then I don't think you can dismiss what happened last year as nothing.  It's something.  Just hope it was a fluke and that the change in scenery was what he needed to get back to where he was trending over the 13 months prior.

Indianapolis Colts wide receiver Devin Funchesswas carted off of the field during Sunday's training camp session. He was able to walk to the cart under his own power, but he was carted to the back. It ended up being just cramps, which makes sense due to the high level of heat. It will be important for him to stay hydrated throughout camp and the regular season without pushing himself for this to become a more serious injury.--Gage Bridgford - RotoBaller

Source: Indy Sports One on Twitter 

Devin Funchess (back) was upgraded to full participation at Thursday's practice.

Funchess began the week as a limited participant but saw his full reps on Thursday, shredding any tinge of doubt surrounding his Week 1 status. He'll operate as the No. 2 wideout against the Chargers, though knowing Jacoby Brissett's tendencies, tight ends Jack Doyle and Eric Ebron will also be heavily involved.

SOURCE: Indianapolis Colts on Twitter

Sep 5, 2019, 4:13 PM ET

NFL Network's Tom Pelissero reports Devin Funchess broke his collarbone in Indianapolis' Week 1 loss to the Chargers.

Funchess reportedly got medical attention after coming down hard on his shoulder late into the fourth quarter. His timetable is currently unknown, but it's likely he misses multiple weeks. Parris Campbell and Chester Rogers are the next men up.

SOURCE: Tom Pelissero on Twitter

Sep 8, 2019, 10:58 PM ET

Colts placed WR Devin Funchess (collarbone) on injured reserve.

Funchess will undergo surgery for his broken collarbone this week. It's a blow to the Colts and GM Chris Ballard —who splashed on Funchess with a one-year, $10 million deal this offseason. Funchess has a chance to be activated later this year if he avoids setbacks. He's eligible to return in Week 10.

Sep 9, 2019, 4:22 PM ET

Coach Frank Reich said Devin Funchess (clavicle) 'should' practice this week.

Funchess is eligible to return Sunday against the Jaguars, but Reich noted, "He’s got a few boxes to check though before he can play." Limited snaps seem likely for Funchess if he manages to suit up, but there's plenty of opportunity available in the Colts' injury-riddled WR room. Both T.Y. Hilton (calf) and Parris Campbell (hand) are tentatively expected to miss Sunday's matchup against the Jaguars.

SOURCE: Joel Erickson on Twitter.

Nov 11, 2019, 4:22 PM ET

Devin Funchess (clavicle, I.R.) returned to Colts practice Wednesday.

Funchess is eligible to play this week against the Jaguars after spending the last eight games on I.R. He broke his collarbone in the season opener against the Chargers after putting up a 3-32-0 line on five looks. The Colts are hurting at wideout with T.Y. Hilton (calf) and Parris Campbell (hand) out, though Hilton appears to be nearing a return.

Nov 13, 2019, 12:59 PM ET

FOX59/CBS4 Sports' Mike Chappell said it's not likely that Devin Funchess (collarbone) suits up in Week 11.

Funchess himself said, "Bone’s gotta heal." He was limited again in practice Thursday. Even if active, Funchess is off the fantasy grid due to the high potential for limited snaps. Look for the Colts to feature Zach Pascal, Marcus Johnson and Chester Rogers in 3-WR sets, with Eric Ebron also getting more work than usual as a true WR.

SOURCE: Mike Chappell on Twitter.

Nov 14, 2019, 12:35 PM ET

This is good for Lazard/MVS. It may keep the team from drafting a WR early thinking they have something in Funchess. 

They don't. 

NFL Network's Tom Pelissero reports the Packers are expected to sign WR Devin Funchess.

Funchess is coming off a completely lost 2019 season thanks to a collarbone injury that required a plate insertion. The Colts never brought him off injured reserve, so he'll likely sign a short-term "prove it" deal assuming he can pass a physical. Green Bay has been very quiet this free agency despite needing at least one or two more weapons for Aaron Rodgers. Funchess, 26, would likely compete with a rookie in Green Bay if he signs.

RELATED: 

Green Bay Packers

, Indianapolis Colts

Mar 24, 2020, 6:57 PM ET

Chicago Hooligan said:
This doesn’t affect the draft at all. Just a body, better than Geronimo Allison at least.
He can probably act as a pseudo-TE for them since they don't really have an established TE.

Chicago Hooligan said:
This doesn’t affect the draft at all. Just a body, better than Geronimo Allison at least.
Would agree...better than Geronimo...and if he can get past the last 2 years of injuries...a more established player than Lazard.  Still need a quick slot guy or a bigger deep threat than MVS.

Another tall WR for Aaron Rodgers to yell at and freeze out.

I swear, when is this team going to draft a WR 6' feet tall or under? Feel like the last guy was Ty Montgomery. They are so willing to take a chance on tall project WRs.

EDIT: Ty is exactly 6 feet tall.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like this a lot as a Lazard owner and truther (though admitedly he's nothing more than a deeper stash/hold at this point), since Funchess shouldn't challenege Lazard really or stop him from developing more of a role. Possibly this move makes it more likely that if the Packers do draft a WR, it will be a smaller WR who doesn't replicate what Lazard does. 

Packers signed WR Devin Funchess to a one-year, $2.5 million contract.

The signing is official. The deal includes a $1 million signing bonus, $1.2 million base salary, $50,000 workout bonus and $15,625 for each game active. Finally, another $3.7 million is available in incentives, meaning Funchess can make up to $6.25 million. It's not quite the type of money that would indicate a locked-in role. Still, all hope is not lost for Funchess (turns 26 in May) just yet. He's flashed the type of contested-catch ability that should serve him well as Aaron Rodgers' potential No. 2 pass-game option. 2019 was a waste due to bad injury luck, but previously Funchess played in 61-of-64 regular season games with the Panthers from 2015-2018. While most of us would've preferred a Robby Anderson signing here, Funchess carries a sneaky-high ceiling entering 2020.

Mar 28, 2020, 2:51 PM ET

I don’t understand the shade that regularly gets thrown at Lazard. Rotoworld (and others) act as if he doesn’t exist or literally any WR they bring in (rookie or otherwise) will immediately take his spot.

It’s probably the UDFA stigma because objectively he had a really promising year when you consider the path he took, the fact that he earned trust from Rodgers and made MVS and Allison (both of whom had their backers) irrelevant. Not saying he’s a superstar but his profile and production with limited opportunities suggests he’s not as replaceable as many want to believe. Why wouldn’t the packers try to develop him as a quality #2?

Packers WR Devin Funchess opted out of the 2020 season.

Funchess signed a one-year, $2.5 million contract this offseason but will instead take home the agreed to offering from the NFLPA. Funchess was expected to start in three-receiver sets in 2020 despite missing the entire 2019 season due to injury. Davante Adams remains a candidate for a 30% target share, but the real winner of Funchess' decision to opt out is Allen Lazard, who is going undrafted in many standard-sized leagues. Funchess will be be more than two-years removed from playing on an NFL field when he tries to land elsewhere in 2021.

RELATED: 

Allen Lazard

SOURCE: Field Yates on Twitter

Jul 28, 2020, 5:32 PM ET

Lions signed TE Devin Funchess.

Yes, tight end. You read that correctly. They are moving the 6-foot-4, 225-pound Funchess inside and announced that as they made the move. Funchess has been a complete NFL non-factor since his rookie contract, reeling in just three passes since 2018. Hopefully the move to tight end can change something for him, though it wasn't like he was an exemplary blocker earlier in his career. Funchess is likely just fighting to try to remain on the NFL radar, and doing whatever he can to make that happen. 

Jun 14, 2022, 4:43 PM ET

Users who are viewing this thread