What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

TE Devin Funchess, Lions (2 Viewers)

Panthers have not done a good job getting Newton weapons in the passing game. Maybe CMc and Samuel change that, but the Panthers management has failed Newton to this point. 

Physical and mental. Being a rookie at 21 is tough. 

At the age of 21, Kelvin Benjamin had 500 yards and 4 TDs.

At the age of 21, Devin Funchess had 470 yards and 5 TDs. 

The difference is at age 21 Kelvin Benjamin was playing college football and at age 21, Devin Funchess was "playing" professional football. 
ftfy :)

I dont disagree, about being a young rookie. I think it for sure wasnt helping him. But he has been in the league a couple years now, shouldnt we expect things like technique and better timing and things like that to have improved if theyre going to? He has had NFL caliber coaching for a couple years, could maybe argue longer if the staff at MU is worth anything, I feel like this kid is a product of size and athleticism against weaker competition in college. He is no longer able to take those advantages against, bigger, faster more skilled opponents. So his play and development are suffering. That would be my guess.

Panthers have not done a good job getting Newton weapons in the passing game. Maybe CMc and Samuel change that, but the Panthers management has failed Newton to this point. 
Or.....KB + Olsen + Ginn + Funchess + a strong run game is PLENTY of weapons for a quarterback, and Cam just isn't that good.

Not trying to bash the guy but have you seen him try to complete a touch pass?  It's pretty ugly.

Devin Funchess caught 4-of-7 targets for 68 yards in the Panthers' Week 2 win over the Bills.

The yards were the second most of Funchess' career. Both his unreliable floor and limited ceiling should increase a bit with Greg Olsen (foot) on the shelf, but it's hard to see Funchess being anything more than an emergency WR4.

Sep 17 - 6:44 PM

Any Panthers fans have some insight on how Funchess we be used with Olson out for awhile? 

I picked him up off the wavier wire, but as a CMAC fan, I'm kinda hoping he gets Olson's touches more than Funchess. 

Considering grabbing this guy in case Diggs doesn't play or even as a flex play for me as Cohen looks awful. Would hav eto drop Morris who could be a good lotto RB if Zeke is suspended... at this point I'm not sure I can take another loss though and Funchess could go off this week. 

Love how he’s producing. Hate Thursday games.  I think I’m starting him tonight. He’s right in the range of some of my other flex plays but has more upside.

He doesn't look like he's hampered by his knee injury, it just seems like CAR likes KB's match-up more. Hopefully he gets some more work in the second half.

Not a good night but he just looks like he real deal out there. Kind of reminds me of #17 On the other side. I'm definitely holding. 

I need him as my OBJ replacement but it is going to be a roller coaster ride with Cam throwing the ball all over the place.

Of course this was the first week I started him after wasting his numbers on the bench the last two. It's going to be near impossible to make up for the loss of OBJ here too. I so badly need Amari Cooper to get his act together.

Regardless of what you think of Funchess as a talent, he should be walloped with targets 
Yeah, even if he struggles being really the other receiver defenses need to cover and with Cam's general passing skills, he should still get a ton of targets that result in fantasy production. 

Regardless of what you think of Funchess as a talent, he should be walloped with targets 
WRs with less targets than Funchess

• Hilton
  • Julio
  • Tate
  • Tyreek
  • Hogan
  • Cooks
  • Adams
  • Crabtree
  • Benjamin
  • Diggs
Volume hasn't been an issue. He just hasn't been productive, and of course a lot of that is due to the play of his QB.

• Hilton
  • Julio
  • Tate
  • Tyreek
  • Hogan
  • Cooks
  • Adams
  • Crabtree
  • Benjamin
  • Diggs
Volume hasn't been an issue. He just hasn't been productive, and of course a lot of that is due to the play of his QB.
lol.  Debbie Downer with a dose of reality on the courtesy phone.

• Hilton
  • Julio
  • Tate
  • Tyreek
  • Hogan
  • Cooks
  • Adams
  • Crabtree
  • Benjamin
  • Diggs
He's still due for more targets. Do you believe that will have zero impact on his output? 

He's still due for more targets. Do you believe that will have zero impact on his output? 
He had 2 targets Week 1, and hasn't had less than 6 since. Over the last 6 weeks he's had 50 targets - that's a 134 target pace.

His season high is 70 yards. He's 15th in the NFL in targets and on pace for 66-714-6.

Do you think drawing tougher corners and more attention will cause him to morph into something else than what he has shown so far in his career?

Also, Olsen is due to start to start practicing this week. His absence corresponded to Funchess' market share increase. He'll be back Week 12.

It's a Jones fracture, so not exactly a sure thing, but there have been almost weekly reports on his progress and he's on track so far.

I've followed Funchess throughout his college and NFL career. I don't think losing KB is a positive for him, but I've been wrong before.

• Hilton
  • Julio
  • Tate
  • Tyreek
  • Hogan
  • Cooks
  • Adams
  • Crabtree
  • Benjamin
  • Diggs
Two things about that though: look at that list and what jumps out at you?  Those are highly productive wrs who are on the list making the point because they have all been difference making wrs in ff. What changed?  A few lost their QBs. A couple have to fight for targets. A couple lost their offensive schemer or made major offensive changes and it hasn't clicked yet. 

Funchess has had none of these things.  His worst knock against him has been shaky play from qb (but not qb is gone due to injury). We know Cam can get hot. We know in that division, they need to throw.  I personally have seen some of these funchess down games and thought "if Cam just didn't have brees-jimmy Graham man love for Benjamin, he'd be much better in fantasy". 

So now here we are. Benjamin gone. Funchess and cam still there. Need to throw still there.  Something will improve for funchess and Olsen. Even if it's garbage time. Even if it's just sheer volume and the panthers suck in real life, there will. E balls thrown and funchess is one of very few options. 

Do you think drawing tougher corners and more attention will cause him to morph into something else than what he has shown so far in his career?
No. I think the sheer volume will outweigh those negatives. Cam struggles. There's nobody else other teams really need to cover. Those are definite negatives. Still think this is a clear net positive for Funchess. 

No. I think the sheer volume will outweigh those negatives. Cam struggles. There's nobody else other teams really need to cover. Those are definite negatives. Still think this is a clear net positive for Funchess. 
Agreed... Volume for Funchess should increase a slightly more but it all goes back to Cam.  He simply sucks at accuracy especially with anticipatory pass (he's more "see it, pass it").

How are people feeling about his long term dynasty prospects? Is he a WR2? Or is he another WR4 type?
He's been on my squad since his rookie season. Watch every game of his and he seems so average. And many times, below average. I rate him WR4 at best, and rely on him only as a part-time flex player. Hope I'm under rating him though. 

In my PPR league he is WR 27 right now. With more targets sure to come for the rest of this season I think he is a WR 2 moving forward this season. Depending on what he does with these targets will determine next year moving forward.

I own him as a trade throw in from last season, not expecting much but he has surprised a little bit. 

Users who are viewing this thread