What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

TE Mike Gesicki, CIN (1 Viewer)

Dolphins TE Mike Gesicki (shoulder) is active for Week 8 against the Texans.

With Kenny Stills (groin) and Albert Wilson (hip) sidelined, Gesicki could be needed for a bigger role one week after setting a new yardage high. Also inactive for the Dolphins are QB Ryan Tannehill, CB Torry McTyer, DE Cameron Malveaux, OT Sam Young, TE A.J. Derby and DE Charles Harris.

Oct 25 - 6:53 PM

He has had a pretty typical season for a rookie TE. If you liked his talent coming out of college, you probably still like his upside. But he has no value in redraft.  I have him but haven't tried to move him and haven't had anyone sniffing around either.  My guess is his value is worth more like a third round pick at the moment or a similar upside WR who hasn't panned out yet like Dante Pettis or Gallup or Jackson.

His numbers are very close to Dallas Goedert except for the TDs, and people still seem very high on Goedert, so that's sort of interesting.

Last edited by a moderator:
Considering dropping him in dynasty to pick up some of the late season waiver material like Gus Edwards.  Moreso to keep Edwards from ending up on someone else’s roster while I make a push for the title.  Gesicki isn’t helping anyone this year.  

What’s everyone think of his long term success?

Considering dropping him in dynasty to pick up some of the late season waiver material like Gus Edwards.  Moreso to keep Edwards from ending up on someone else’s roster while I make a push for the title.  Gesicki isn’t helping anyone this year.  

What’s everyone think of his long term success?
I've been holding him all year too. Nothing out there worth dropping him for. I have a claim in to drop MVS for Justin Jackson.

• Smile
Reactions: Hoh
Anyone still believe in this guy?  
Yes, enough to hold him in all my dynasty leagues. Rookie TEs typically don’t make a huge impact, plus look at who was throwing him the ball. Hopefully the new coaching staff will utilize him better than Gase.

If you’re in a dynasty league and you’re dropping a TE because he didn’t make an impact his rookie year, why are you wasting a draft pick on a TE in the first place?  You should know before you expend the pick that you’re committing to at least two years and maybe three before you should reasonably expect a return.

Well for me I was trying to trade for a young buy low-ish TE.  I thought Gesicki could be a guy to target.  But I haven’t heard anything about him in a while. 

Well for me I was trying to trade for a young buy low-ish TE.  I thought Gesicki could be a guy to target.  But I haven’t heard anything about him in a while. 

I think you have the right idea.  Find a discouraged owner and throw something out there.  By the looks of it, they aren’t hard to find.

Bronco Billy said:
If you’re in a dynasty league and you’re dropping a TE because he didn’t make an impact his rookie year, why are you wasting a draft pick on a TE in the first place?  You should know before you expend the pick that you’re committing to at least two years and maybe three before you should reasonably expect a return.
I’m not at all excited about his future but I agree with this 100%. 

(Rotoworld) Dolphins signed TE Dwayne Allen to a two-year, $7 million contract. Analysis: Allen had interest from multiple teams after his Patriots release. The Dolphins are counting on a second-year leap from Mike Gesicki, but Allen should slot in as the primary in-line tight end ahead of Nick O'Leary. 29-year-old Allen could have a larger pass game role with Miami after being limited to blocking in New England.

I believe in Gesicki’s talent but the QB situation and team is terrible. Wish he was in a better situation.  I decided to keep Herndon instead. 

John Daigle @notJDaigle

Have read this elsewhere, as well. Mike Gesicki has still reportedly performed poorly in blocking drills despite bulking up to 253 (up from 240) in an attempt to not get mauled in-line. Potentially puts him behind Dwayne Allen when the vet returns, too.
The above tweet was in response to this one:

Omar Kelly @OmarKelly

So it appears Nick O’Leary is the new starting tight end. Makes sense since he looked the best in week one.

The Miami Herald's Barry Jackson reports that Mike Gesicki has had an "uneven" camp.

Jackson doesn't really elaborate, but there have been whispers that Gesicki is as low as No. 4 on the depth chart. It's not the start Gesicki needed after having a shaky rookie camp followed by a non-factor regular season. To this point in his NFL career, Gesicki has looked like an athlete trying to be a football player.

SOURCE: Miami Herald

Aug 6, 2019, 2:10 PM ET

The Miami Herald reports second-year TE Mike Gesicki has continued to struggle in training camp.

Reporter Armando Salguero flatly states that Gesicki has not shown the improvement the Dolphins are looking for. Nick O'Leary has been more impressive as a pass catcher. Per Salguero, Gesicki has "neither become a consistent physical mismatch against safeties or corners or shown superior quickness and speed against linebackers." Gesicki is doing all he can to extinguish hope that he might be a post-hype sophomore.

SOURCE: Miami Herald

Aug 15, 2019, 1:54 PM ET

Mike Gesicki caught 3-of-3 targets for 59 yards in the Dolphins' third preseason game.

Gesicki led the team in receiving. Although he's drawn poor reviews for his practice work, Gesicki saw heavy snaps with the first-team offense this preseason. It would appear he will be the Week 1 starter after all. A Coby Fleener-ish type player who figures to make a ton of sophomore mistakes, Gesicki should ultimately struggle for TE2 value in what figures to be a dysfunctional offense.

Aug 23, 2019, 12:14 AM ET

Omar Kelly @OmarKelly

My final thought for the day heading into today's Dolphins-Ravens game. Can Mike Gesicki be relied on to make game-changing plays? He's gotten better according to Brian Flores, but can he be counted on? We'll see because Baltimore's linebackers are the weak link of that defense.

So what’s the consensus on this guy?   Does he just suck?  Is it the typical TE learning curve?  Is it the train wreck that Miami as a team has become?  Or Is it a combination of all three?

So what’s the consensus on this guy?   Does he just suck?  Is it the typical TE learning curve?  Is it the train wreck that Miami as a team has become?  Or Is it a combination of all three?

I was about to come here and ask the same question!  Obviously he is not worth owning in redraft, but in dynasty is he still a hold or is he waiver wire fodder?  

We know it takes time for TEs to develop and so I wasn't too disappointed by rookie season, which was pretty average.  But his target share in 2019 is declining now too.  And I don't see the team situation in MIA improving anytime soon.  It seems like the only reason to hold this guy is the chance he may get traded.  For now I think I am holding at least until the NFL trade deadline (Oct 29, after week 8); if he doesn't improve his production and/or get traded I will probably dump him then.

Other dynasty owners???

I was about to come here and ask the same question!  Obviously he is not worth owning in redraft, but in dynasty is he still a hold or is he waiver wire fodder?  

We know it takes time for TEs to develop and so I wasn't too disappointed by rookie season, which was pretty average.  But his target share in 2019 is declining now too.  And I don't see the team situation in MIA improving anytime soon.  It seems like the only reason to hold this guy is the chance he may get traded.  For now I think I am holding at least until the NFL trade deadline (Oct 29, after week 8); if he doesn't improve his production and/or get traded I will probably dump him then.

Other dynasty owners???
I'm not optimistic for this year and beyond. I'm not sure what the problem is, but I haven't seen any wow moments.

Bought for a 3rd in the off-season and cut bait last week because I had a few other long shots pop (incl Waller, reducing my desire to use the room on TE) and prefer to use my last couple spots to trawl the wire for quicker returns. 

My opinion of him long-term hasn’t changed a ton, but I don’t see him going anywhere this year in that offense and he didn’t show me enough to want to burn the space for as long as it’ll take to know if there’s anything there. But there very well could still be some upside there—I could see holding if roster conditions had been different

Gesicki back on the Dynasty map with 6 for 6 and 95 yards today.  

Dolphins' Mike Gesicki: Career game as team finally wins

by RotoWire Staff

51 mins ago • 1 min read

Gesicki caught all six of his targets for 95 yards in Sunday's 26-18 win over the Jets.

Gesicki delivered career highs in both catches and yards. The 2018 second-rounder is still looking for his first career touchdown, but there's still untapped upside in Gesicki, whose tremendous physical traits made scouts blush back at the 2018 combine. If he can build on this performance and deliver a strong second half to his sophomore season, Gesicki would quickly turn into an intriguing sleeper ahead of the 2020 campaign, when Miami will hopefully have much more competent quarterback play.
https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/football/news/dolphins-mike-gesicki-career-game-as-team-finally-wins/

Starting to make a little bit of noise with Fitzmagic at QB.  I wonder if he continues to build on it or if it’s an artificial “Fitz Effect”.   

apparently Mike has a little brother playing defense for a small school team.  he is graduating this year and the Dolphins have been showing interest in possibly drafting him in the later rounds.

sources say miami Gm Chris Grier, is attempting to become the most interesting man in the world by ...

owning Dos Gesickis.

After mulling over a bunch of options at my two flex spots I'm throwing Gesicki in the mix.
He was terrible last year and the beginning of this year. But he's turned it around. The coaches are taking advantage of his height and speed, going downfield more, and Fitzpatrick is buying time in the pocket. I'm still not completely convinced about his route running, but let's see.

He was terrible last year and the beginning of this year. But he's turned it around. The coaches are taking advantage of his height and speed, going downfield more, and Fitzpatrick is buying time in the pocket. I'm still not completely convinced about his route running, but let's see.
As long as he can run the seam route and win up high, he's going to have success for now. Fitz isn't the QB you want for accuracy, but he's fine for jump ball contested plays and right now him and Parker are the only guys left on the team who can do that. If he can maintain his newfound 60%+ snap rate he should have success.

Starting him over J. Smith and OJ Howard with Ertz on bye.

If he produces again I may keep him. Could be a nice flex moving forward if the trend in production is real.

This guy is an absolute freak of an athelte, and now may have a coaching staff in place who knows how to tap into that.  Should be plenty of opportunities for him going forward with few options around him, and a QB who likes to and will need to sling it.  Could be a sneaky TE1 the rest of the way. 

Look at the measurables, they are sick - https://www.mockdraftable.com/player/mike-gesicki

Playing him today. Was riding Kittle all year with no back up. Guys like Witten & Howard were available but I liked this guys stat line from last week, no Preston Williams so maybe a few more targets, and a good matchup vs TEs I read.

Mike Gesicki caught 3-of-6 targets for 28 yards in the Dolphins’ Week 10 win over the Colts.

The Dolphins’ starting TE fumbled away his first reception of the game, but continued to see the majority of the position’s snaps throughout the afternoon. Ryan Fitzpatrick continues to treat DeVante Parker as the offense’s unquestioned No. 1 pass-game option, but Gesicki has a realistic chance of emerging as the clear-cut No. 2 receiver with better performances down the road. Unfortunately, the Dolphins’ entire passing attack is set up poorly in Week 11 against the Bills’ awesome secondary.

Users who are viewing this thread