What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

TE Rob Gronkowski, TB (3 Viewers)

It wouldn't take much for Gronk to go from elite to merely very good. His massive value is based on those extra 6 PPG he had over the TE3 in 2011. If he starts averaging 13-14 PPG instead of 20 PPG then he's just another good TE.
Going to 13-14 PPG from 20 PPG is a 6-7 point drop. That's what would happen if he didnt' score a single TD. I guess if that were to happen he'd be just another TE. But he's the best redzone threat in the NFL on a team who scores as many TDs as anyone. I don't know why we would project that.
If he leaves the Patriots next year what do you think he puts up?
About the same numbers. This isn't Deion Branch here. Gronk is a HOF talent.

gronk with matt ryan or rodgers in green bay would both be GREAT spots for him, depending on who both of those teams end up with this year. I could easily see him as the same type of value in either of those places.

Just like last yr all over again and now you gotta worry about if hes going to be on the Pats after the season. :topcat:
Unlike his surgeries/injuries last year, this is just an ACL -- a well-known injury with increasingly excellent recoveries. And his recovery to date going well. So it's a totally different situation to last year IMO.

Regardless, I started Gronk in six games last year and he put up total VBD higher than all but the topmost tier of fantasy players. A half season from Gronk still puts him in the top 30-50 players (depending on scoring).
did you seriously say that. I know a couple of players have recovered nicely from it but other have their speed sapped for the yr.

Just like last yr all over again and now you gotta worry about if hes going to be on the Pats after the season. :topcat:
Unlike his surgeries/injuries last year, this is just an ACL -- a well-known injury with increasingly excellent recoveries. And his recovery to date going well. So it's a totally different situation to last year IMO.

Regardless, I started Gronk in six games last year and he put up total VBD higher than all but the topmost tier of fantasy players. A half season from Gronk still puts him in the top 30-50 players (depending on scoring).
did you seriously say that. I know a couple of players have recovered nicely from it but other have their speed sapped for the yr.
not to mention he tore his MCL also.

If memory serve me Welker suffered the same injury, or worse? He returned pretty quickly and didn't seem to lose any speed.

I do not think the knee will be an issue in today's medicine. The best indicator is that he has been cleared to RUN.

I think Gronk will still offer the same advantage as he did previous to the knee. No argument that durability is a big concern, so if you own him you better have a GOOD plan B.

Gronk is the only player where he might be the number one player at his position when he plays. But you have to back him up with another starter caliber te. He actually costs you two roster spots to hold him.

If memory serve me Welker suffered the same injury, or worse? He returned pretty quickly and didn't seem to lose any speed.

I do not think the knee will be an issue in today's medicine. The best indicator is that he has been cleared to RUN.

I think Gronk will still offer the same advantage as he did previous to the knee. No argument that durability is a big concern, so if you own him you better have a GOOD plan B.
Wes Welker put up 848/7 the year after his injury and looked like a shell of himself (had put up 1350 the year before).

32 Counter Pass said:

Hasn't been cleared yet:

Albert Breer @AlbertBreer Follow

As I said on TA, Patriots TE Rob Gronkowski visited Dr. James Andrews this week. He's right where he should be. Will start jogging soon.

As I mentioned last year, some of this could be an extension of Gronk wanting a better contract. He is not getting paid all that much in the short term ($3.75 million salary this year) but is due a $10 million bonus in 2016 (when he would start making a lot more salary and bonuses). He could essentially have a two year deal from NE and not see the rest of his contract.
i think he has to play in games to get a better contract.
IMO Gronk knows he's out of NE after this year.
Can they re-do the contract?
Sure, if it's in Gronk's best interest. However, he strikes me as a guy who'd be happy to leave NE for somewhere warm. Some team like the Dolphins would throw a ton of money at him.
As a Pats fan, I'm resigned to know that Gronk will be shipping out of here soon. BB isn't going to pay him and Gronk is going to demand lots of money from nearly any team. He gets hurt, but he's a massive difference maker.
He is signed through 2019. With the rising salary cap figure what year of the contract do you believe looks too large for them to pay him?

As I mentioned last year, some of this could be an extension of Gronk wanting a better contract. He is not getting paid all that much in the short term ($3.75 million salary this year) but is due a $10 million bonus in 2016 (when he would start making a lot more salary and bonuses). He could essentially have a two year deal from NE and not see the rest of his contract.
Sure, if it's in Gronk's best interest. However, he strikes me as a guy who'd be happy to leave NE for somewhere warm. Some team like the Dolphins would throw a ton of money at him.
As a Pats fan, I'm resigned to know that Gronk will be shipping out of here soon. BB isn't going to pay him and Gronk is going to demand lots of money from nearly any team. He gets hurt, but he's a massive difference maker.
He is signed through 2019. With the rising salary cap figure what year of the contract do you believe looks too large for them to pay him?
it's a weird contract. a $10 M bonus is due before 2016.

Holy cow dude, please follow the nest of quotes my post is in.

That is the plan, but his current value isn't at top dollar yet. Assuming Gronk is available week 1 he will hit top dollar sometime shortly thereafter.

What would is considered top dollar in a TE premium league?
He's already hit top dollar, dynasty wise. I think his value will slowly deteriorate over time, and trading him ASAP may be the best way to go provided you have suitable depth at TE.

True that Gronk was at top dollar prior to forearm injury, then his value started to recover when he returned to the starting lineup last season. But, as this thread clearly shows, there are a lot of owners that are leery because of his knee injury. I predict his value will hit top dollar about his second or third start, assuming he posts Gronk-like numbers.

Gronkowski says knee improving

By Mike Reiss | ESPNBoston.com

New England Patriots tight end Rob Gronkowski, who is recovering from surgery to repair a torn ACL sustained on Dec. 8, deflected a question Tuesday on whether he will be ready for the 2014 season opener.

"Oh man, that's too far away. I'm just improving every day right now," Gronkowski said Tuesday on the "Hill-Man Show" on WAAF-FM. "I'm working hard every day to put myself in the best situation so that I'm ready."

Gronkowski underwent surgery on Jan. 9, with the procedure performed by Dr. James Andrews. He waited one month after the injury to undergo surgery so that his MCL, which also was torn, could heal.

The Patriots open the season Sept. 7 on the road against the Miami Dolphins.

Unlike last offseason, when he had multiple surgeries on his left forearm that included an unexpected setback, Gronkowski's knee recovery has gone according to plans.

"I'm actually improving every week. It's feeling good and coming along very well," he said on WAAF-FM as part of an appearance to promote an event for his charitable foundation.

Gronkowski added that he's joined teammates at Gillette Stadium for the voluntary offseason program, which started April 21, although his level of participation is obviously different than players who aren't rehabilitating.

Part of his greatest challenge is mental as much as it is physical.

"When it's the same thing 15 weeks straight, it starts to get tough," he said. "But you just have to stay mentally tough and stay physically strong and keep going in and keep grinding.

"It's been a while now and I'm just super excited to get this season rolling and get back out there on the field. I know it's another few more months away, so I have more time to keep on recovering and keep on getting in shape."

Last edited by a moderator:
figured, 2 weeks from now we'll get a report that theres no doubt he'll be ready... followed by a report thats its 50/50; followed by a report that gronk is confident he'll start the season.

Rotoworld:

Rob Gronkowski - TE - Patriots

Rob Gronkowski said he's had no setbacks as he rehabs from Jan. 7 ACL surgery.

Gronk is not participating in this week's OTAs, instead "doing his own thing on the side." We're not going to get any more details out of the Patriots, as they'll likely leave everyone guessing right up until Week 1. Rare players such as Adrian Peterson returned to previous form as soon as eight months after blowing out a knee, but more often it takes a full year. Gronk's progress will be worth watching like a hawk during training camp.

Source: Mike Reiss on Twitter

May 28 - 11:10 AM

Rotoworld:

ESPN's Field Yates reported on NFL Insiders Friday that Rob Gronkowski (ACL, MCL surgery) has encountered "no setbacks," and there is optimism he'll be ready for Opening Day.

"Indications are he's progressing very nicely compared to where he was at this time last year," stated Yates, who formerly worked for the Patriots and now covers the team for ESPN Boston. Gronkowski's status is not assured for Week 1, but to this point there are no signs he'll miss it. We'll continue to closely monitor Gronk's health deep into training camp and the preseason.

May 30 - 3:57 PM

gronk with matt ryan or rodgers in green bay would both be GREAT spots for him, depending on who both of those teams end up with this year. I could easily see him as the same type of value in either of those places.
Ted Thompson wouldn't pay him what he deserves so Green Bay is out I think.

Rotoworld:

ESPN's Field Yates reported on NFL Insiders Friday that Rob Gronkowski (ACL, MCL surgery) has encountered "no setbacks," and there is optimism he'll be ready for Opening Day.

"Indications are he's progressing very nicely compared to where he was at this time last year," stated Yates, who formerly worked for the Patriots and now covers the team for ESPN Boston. Gronkowski's status is not assured for Week 1, but to this point there are no signs he'll miss it. We'll continue to closely monitor Gronk's health deep into training camp and the preseason.

May 30 - 3:57 PM
Hope so, have him as a 9th round keeper in one league.

What he deserves? Hmmm, how much does a guy who can't stay healthy deserve?

How much was Bob Sanders worth to the Colts?

I'm still a big buyer-first round fantasy pick production, legitimate Hall of Fame talent, an absolute difference maker to your fantasy team. Then again I said the same thing last year :kicksrock:

Can't quit him. Picked him at 1.10 in my recent 14 team dynasty startup Super Flex IDP with TE Premium. I personally think that his injury history is more fluky in nature than chronic. I've been wrong before though.

I'm still a big buyer-first round fantasy pick production, legitimate Hall of Fame talent, an absolute difference maker to your fantasy team. Then again I said the same thing last year :kicksrock:

Can't quit him. Picked him at 1.10 in my recent 14 team dynasty startup Super Flex IDP with TE Premium. I personally think that his injury history is more fluky in nature than chronic. I've been wrong before though.
i'm a gronk owner in dynasty league and his injury history makes me very nervous. back injury going back to college and then the other stuff which i guess is flukey but also partly due to style of play. Some players just are more prone to injury than others. if he manages to stay healthy he's an absolute monster though. just have to close your eyes when you watch his games.

The Boston Globe reports Rob Gronkowski (knee) was "bursting, planting, and cutting" during the early portion of Thursday's OTA. Analysis: Beat writer Ben Volin says that it looks like Gronkowski doesn't have any limitations. He's been limited to individual work on the side and is fully expected to open training camp on the PUP list, but optimism continues to build that Gronkowski will be ready Week 1.

Doing a slow draft (redraft best ball format). Immediately after this news hit, Gronk went the next pick, middle of 2nd round

I still have Gronk as a luxury. In fact right now I am auditioning for his backup on my team with Ladarius Green, Tyler Eifert, and Eric Ebron all getting a shot. I figure one will hit. It sucks to have to clog up my roster with 4 TEs but I just don't trust Gronk to be able to stay on the field all season.

I still have Gronk as a luxury. In fact right now I am auditioning for his backup on my team with Ladarius Green, Tyler Eifert, and Eric Ebron all getting a shot. I figure one will hit. It sucks to have to clog up my roster with 4 TEs but I just don't trust Gronk to be able to stay on the field all season.
Saber while I do appreciate the time and effort to make your team self reliant!

Im thinking an extra RB who could pan out might be kinda good. I mean if you really like the RB and he hits, you could try an trade a more established back for a TE.

p.s. Please forgive me if this doesn't make no sence I remember rostering four TE's (non-Dyn League), but it was due to injury. My fav TE was hurt, and I think my backup was on bye. I even believe someone dropped another. Anyway If ya have time, Id enjoy reading why its wise to roster four (if it isn't Dynasty)

/Edit Gronk has a sweet cut right now! (Mr Clean style)

The Boston Globe reports Rob Gronkowski (knee) was "bursting, planting, and cutting" during the early portion of Thursday's OTA. Analysis: Beat writer Ben Volin says that it looks like Gronkowski doesn't have any limitations. He's been limited to individual work on the side and is fully expected to open training camp on the PUP list, but optimism continues to build that Gronkowski will be ready Week 1.
Jeff Howe @jeffphowe

Hahaha what??? He was jogging RT @ProFootballTalk: Gronkowski "bursting, planting and cutting" at Patriots practice wp.me/p14QSB-9uVa

Jeff Howe @jeffphowe

Pretty sure if Gronk tried any of that stuff on a soaked field Thursday, Belichick would have personally carried him off it.

11:26am · 9 Jun 2014 ·

I don't know what to make of this guy. Depends how far he falls in redraft, I'd hate to be the guy that drafts him only for him to end up on IR again. But hey, you've gotta love a Touchdown machine when he's healthy...

How much was Bob Sanders worth to the Colts?
Probably a lot, because he was actually healthy for their 2006 run and was key to their D playing so well in the playoffs, but I don't think teams want to get into the habit of overpaying for injury-prone players in the hopes that they'll just happen to be healthy for a team that is otherwise ready for a postseason title run. Bob Sanders and Percy Harvin are anomalies, in that regard.

Rob Gronkowski - TE - Patriots
Rob Gronkowski (knee) ran sprints up the side of a hill at Wednesday's practice for the first time.
We're looking for any signs of tangible progress out of Gronk, so this qualifies. Although he's not participating in OTAs, he continues to do rehab work on the side and has also been spotted doing some cutting. Gronkowski at least has a chance to be ready for Week 1, but we won't have any real read on his status until training camp gets going.

Source: Boston Herald
Jun 19 - 9:15 AM

Rotoworld:

The Patriots' website reports "all signs point toward" Rob Gronkowski (knee) being ready to go in Week 1.
Gronkowski was limited to individual work at OTAs and has been rehabbing at the Patriots' facility the last two weeks. He's expected to open training camp on the PUP list, but there continues to be optimism that he'll be ready for Week 1. We'll know more on Gronk's status when camp opens in late July. Gronkowski has played in just 18 games the last two seasons due to injuries.

Source: Patriots.com

Rotoworld:

The Patriots' website reports "all signs point toward" Rob Gronkowski (knee) being ready to go in Week 1.

Gronkowski was limited to individual work at OTAs and has been rehabbing at the Patriots' facility the last two weeks. He's expected to open training camp on the PUP list, but there continues to be optimism that he'll be ready for Week 1. We'll know more on Gronk's status when camp opens in late July. Gronkowski has played in just 18 games the last two seasons due to injuries.

Was this post from 2013? Sounds too familiar to me.

Rotoworld:

Was this post from 2013? Sounds too familiar to me.
Look at the source, very trust worthy

Users who are viewing this thread