What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Teams/Players/Coaches I’m rooting for (that aren’t my main homer team) (1 Viewer)

joey

Footballguy
At home with the ‘Vids and thinking about the NFL overall…

I’m a Raiders fan. Yup. Another lost season (though not mathematically elimated yet). Probably like many long time fantasy football players, I root for favorite players as much as I root for my homer team.

Here are the players/teams who are on my list this seasons:
1) Miami Dolphins, because of Mike McDaniel. I fell in love with him after his hilarious comments about what he said to Justin Fields on the sidelines (he asked him to please stop scrambling so much, since everything else they tried wasn’t slowing him down). https://youtu.be/RjsYUDoIzw8
1000% loveable football nerd. I don’t know how this dude became a head coach but I’m rooting for him.

2) Buffalo Bills because of Josh Allen. Likely a popular pick of most on this board. How can you not love Josh Allen? He’s the best of what this game is about. Also, I have a soft spot for historically bad teams (Bills, Vikes, Lions) so seeing how great the Bills are this year makes me happy. Can they finally get the four-peat Super Bowl losers monkey off their back? Would love a Bills/Dolphins AFC Championship game.

3) on the NFC side, the Vikings due to my lonesome losers point above. Another perennial Super Bowl losing team. I don’t like or dislike Cousins, but like Peyton Manning back in the day carrying the “can’t win the big game” stigma, maybe Cousins can do the same this year.

4) Seahawks, both because they were left for dead this off-season and are surprising everyone with how good they’ve been, and also to piss off local 9ers fans as a fringe benefit (Schadenfreude is sometimes all that you have when your own team is so bad for so long). Seahawks are fading as of late but hopefully they can keep pushing for the NFC West title.

what do you have?

Lions fan since I was a kid much to the bemusement of all my US family who are all Washington state area and Seahawks fans, anyways …..

6 random thoughts some of which are long standing …

Hated Russ, but like the story of Geno this year, a real miracle comeback from years out in the cold and Carroll impresses again with what he’s managed to do.

Herbert/Chargers. Big soft spot and admirer of Herbert as a QB and have always had a little liking of the powder blue lightning bolt people even if they’ve been a bit of a joke with having no fans in LA and not that many more in San Diego.

Liked the Buccaneers as underdogs for many years, before the recent up tick, purely for the whole pirate thing and the ship in the stadium

I appreciate the town of Nashville, and very much appreciate the way the Titans go about business.

Josh Allen/Bills. Hard not to like both of them.

Always liked seeing the Black and Silver do well as well, but don’t know how I feel about them now they are Las Vegas

Sorry Packers/Bears/Vikes/Steelers/Giants/Cowboys/Texans/Colts/Patriots/9ers/Rams I have varying degrees of negativity towards them all

Last edited:
Bengals fan but I always root for the Lions (except for 1 week every 4 years ... okay I guess it's now 5 weeks every 16 years on average).

Herbert/Chargers. Big soft spot and admirer of Herbert as a QB and have always had a little liking of the powder blue lightning bolt people even if they’ve been a bit of a joke with having no fans in LA and not that many more in San Diego.
can a Raiders fan say this?…

best uniforms in the NFL.

NY born and bred but always rooted for NON-NY teams. Raiders for me. My great Uncle John loved all teams in Detroit (for reasons unknown) and my whole NY family has always quietly put positive karma behind the Lions. Would love to see them finally get a chip and I love seeing how scrappy they are this year. Fingers crossed for a playoff run for the lions next year.

My great Uncle John loved all teams in Detroit (for reasons unknown)
Sounds like me. I grew up Arkansas and was a huge fan of Steelers, Pirates and 76'ers. I've never set foot in PA and no one in my family cheered for any of those teams.

I don't even have a great reason. I played pee-wee football for the first time in 1979 and fell in love with the game. Also was an avid reader and so read up on history of the game. Decided I wanted to pick a favorite team and went with Steelers, in part because I liked their history and toughness and in part becuase my brother was a Cowboys fan and they were the team that beat them twice in the SB. Loved the Steelers so much I went with Pirates as my favorite MLB team, just felt right, played in same stadium, same colors, fan base,etc,etc.. Went with the 76'ers because of course Pittsburgh has no pro team and in the Fish that Saved PIttsburgh Julius Erving played for the PIttsburgh Pisces so that did it for me. I quit baseball in the mid 90's, still loyal as could be to the Steelers and 76'ers. Still have never been to PIttsburgh and would basically consider it like visting my Mecca.

As a general rule when not pulling for those teams I tend to pull for long suffering franchises, especially hardcore fan bases, not like Miami or LA kind of stuff. Like last season I was pulling for the Bengals in most of the playoffs. Despite being a Steelers fan if the Browns ever made it far and Steelers were out I'd actually pull for them. I got tired of the Bills ruining SB's in the 90's but I'd still really like to see their fan base get to experience a SB victory.

Go Seattle.

Left for dead, coaches have been getting **** on for YEARS for not letting Russ cook, and it turns out they were propping him up for years.

My great Uncle John loved all teams in Detroit (for reasons unknown)
Sounds like me. I grew up Arkansas and was a huge fan of Steelers, Pirates and 76'ers. I've never set foot in PA and no one in my family cheered for any of those teams.

I don't even have a great reason. I played pee-wee football for the first time in 1979 and fell in love with the game. Also was an avid reader and so read up on history of the game. Decided I wanted to pick a favorite team and went with Steelers, in part because I liked their history and toughness and in part becuase my brother was a Cowboys fan and they were the team that beat them twice in the SB. Loved the Steelers so much I went with Pirates as my favorite MLB team, just felt right, played in same stadium, same colors, fan base,etc,etc.. Went with the 76'ers because of course Pittsburgh has no pro team and in the Fish that Saved PIttsburgh Julius Erving played for the PIttsburgh Pisces so that did it for me. I quit baseball in the mid 90's, still loyal as could be to the Steelers and 76'ers. Still have never been to PIttsburgh and would basically consider it like visting my Mecca.

As a general rule when not pulling for those teams I tend to pull for long suffering franchises, especially hardcore fan bases, not like Miami or LA kind of stuff. Like last season I was pulling for the Bengals in most of the playoffs. Despite being a Steelers fan if the Browns ever made it far and Steelers were out I'd actually pull for them. I got tired of the Bills ruining SB's in the 90's but I'd still really like to see their fan base get to experience a SB victory.
Love the story, but as a Bengals fan I hate your particular choice 😂 But you made up for it at the end there, pulling for the Bengals. So I'll give you this finger 👍

Big Bears fan since I was a kid! Not many football fans on the east coast of Canada, especially not in the 80’s. So I fell in love with the Bears because of a video game called Tecmo Bowl and the superior Super Tecmo Bowl. These 2 games developed a lifelong passion for the game of football for me. You could play out a full season with stats collection. It was amazing for its day.

Although my playing sport was hockey, a AAA player through my youth, football was my sport to watch and analyze.

With that said, being on the east coast back then, I rarely got to see my Bears play. However, the Bills were on TV every Sunday and I watched a whole bunch! Those were the Jim Kelly and the 4 L’s years. I watched the Riech comeback game, just awesome! Taught me early on to never give up, a comeback is always possible!

So I am a big Bears fan with a side of Bills mafia who also now lives in Bills country.

Last edited:
Still have never been to PIttsburgh and would basically consider it like visting my Mecca.

My word. You should go. I spent a winter back there in '95 and really liked the city. I'm Polish, so I guess I just felt at home there among all the weird consonants and vowels in everybody's last name. But really, PNC Park, which wasn't built back them and was a twinkling in a city planner eye, is supposedly beautiful and looks that way to the tourist eye of mine. I've been there two times for weddings and also always had a good time.

Cheering for Geno Smith and Seattle.

Man, I grew up hating the Eagles but it's hard to hate what they've done. Color me impressed as all get-out. That's some savvy in that front office. This Jets fan thanks you for the run-off from the FO that we got in Joe D.

Cheering for my fantasy guys.

Used to hate the Cowboys, but pull for Dak given what he's gone through and how he became a spokesman for mental difficulties or illness. And Zeke is now actually hard to root against now that everybody has written him off.

Loving the underdogs that never really got a chance but are such athletes that they can switch positions and play offense and defense and be good. Jamal Agnew of the Jaguars comes to mind, even if he's a little buried on the depth chart. The RBs from ATL. Cordarrelle and Avery Williams.

Also cheering for anybody with light draft capital from a small conference where all of the sudden the coaches in the professional ranks realize you can't teach combine and/or playing speed and go on to succeed in roles that are limited but cool to watch.

Watching the rookies to see how they develop over the year and enjoying seeing increased time and production for some of them (Pickens and Watson especially).

Last edited:
Decided I wanted to pick a favorite team and went with Steelers, in part because I liked their history and toughness and in part becuase my brother was a Cowboys fan and they were the team that beat them twice in the SB.
So many folks that grew up in the ‘70s became either Steelers, Cowboys, Dolphins, or Raiders fans. I was always with the Jets - clearly I’m the schmuck.
My word. You should go. I spent a winter back there in '95 and really liked the city. I'm Polish, so I guess I just felt at home there among all the weird consonants and vowels in everybody's last name. But really, PNC Park, which wasn't built back them and was a twinkling in a city planner eye, is supposedly beautiful and looks that way to the tourist eye of mine.
My favorite city in the country, bar none.

Used to hate the Cowboys, but pull for Dak given what he's gone through and how he became a spokesman for mental difficulties or illness. And Zeke is now actually hard to root against now that everybody has written him off.
Same with me on the Cowboys. Since I grew up anti-NY in a house full of NY fans, mainly Giants fans, it was kind of fun to see the cowboys beat them. But this current team, and what Dak has been through the past few years and the talent they’ve assembled….they seem snake bit to not be making it deep into the playoffs. Maybe this is their year.

So many folks that grew up in the ‘70s became either Steelers, Cowboys, Dolphins, or Raiders fans. I was always with the Jets - clearly I’m the schmuck.
Yup. Me and my brother were this: he had the Cowboys jacket and I had the Steelers jacket. Then I got an amazing purple and gold Vikings jacket and loved it (I remember cleaning those white vinyl sleeves with a doby pad and soap to make it shine, baby!). My closest guess to why I’m a raiders fan today is that, the 10 year old me in 1977, probably saw my purple and gold team trounced by this cool silver and black team and did some version of “yeah, we’ll, that’s who I was rooting for the whole time. The team that just won the Super Bowl”. Lucky for me, I got to live their heyday of 3 SBs in 6-7 years. Then, let’s say, there may have been a slight drought since then.

Never been to Pittsburgh but really want to go. My nephew/godson goes to Carnegie Mellon and plays on their Div3 football team, so maybe I’ll make the trip there once in the next 3-4 years.

Not just because of a Trevor Lawrence somehow surviving what looked like a season ending leg injury, but after the crap show that was last season for the Jags and what their former coach did almost single handed ly destroy that team, it would be nice to see the Jags become a playoff team. Let’s shake it up a bit!

I have a soft spot for Cinci. Always felt bad for them as a Niners fan. They came so close last year. I like a lot of their players.

Also the jets. Scrappy team. Good fans. Would like to see them turn the corner.
Agree with both of these and, seeing Cinci take down the Chiefs yet again, I’m really pulling for the Bengals this year. Their skill position players are so much fun to watch.

Users who are viewing this thread