What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

[Tennessee QB] Volek (1 Viewer)

BlueOnion

Footballguy
I keep hearing how the Titans are interested in taking which ever quarterback falls to them; Young or Lienart. If there is meat to this speculation, how come rumors don't exist about the Titans shopping Volek ala the Skins and Patrick Ramsey?

Maybe I have just missed the news.

No interest on the open market for a mediocre 29 yr old QB whose contract expires in a year.

Last edited by a moderator:
No interest on the open market for a mediocre 29 yr old QB whose contract expires in a year.
I guess his stock has fallen since last year. For the life of me I cannot imagine him commanding more than a 5th round pick, so I would anticipate a team like the Lions (pre-Kitna) or at least the Jets would have some interest.

I guess his stock has fallen since last year. For the life of me I cannot imagine him commanding more than a 5th round pick, so I would anticipate a team like the Lions (pre-Kitna) or at least the Jets would have some interest.
I think you'll see the Titans try to move him on draft day, but only after they get their future QB. Its certainly not out of the realm of possibility that they go after Ferguson if hes there at #3

I think you'll see the Titans try to move him on draft day, but only after they get their future QB. Its certainly not out of the realm of possibility that they go after Ferguson if hes there at #3
People keep saying it...but I will believe it when I see it.All signs here still point to Roos moving to LT and Bell being the RT.

People keep saying it...but I will believe it when I see it.All signs here still point to Roos moving to LT and Bell being the RT.
Oh Id definitely agree, but Im just saying the Titans arent going to tip their hand(that they are drafting a QB) by trading Volek now. Right now, teams know there is a possibility that the Titans will draft Ferguson.

Most likely scenario is they draft Leinart or Vince Young at 3, then move Volek on day two for a 5th or a 6th.

Maybe I am missing something. Last year boards were filled with comments about how Volek was the best QB without a starting job and maybe he should be starting over McNair. He ended the 2004 season with a flurry after subbing in for McNair. He finished that season with 8 starts and a QB rating of 87 and would have thrown 25+ TD's in that season with more starts (18 in 10 total games and 8 starts). Last year he only started one game which doesn't really give us much more insight. He isn't really a guy who turns the ball over a ton either. The stats don't point to hime being a mediocre QB, as the league average QB rating is 82. So he was a better than average QB over the 8 games he started in 2004, with a rating near what Jake Delhomme did last year and better than McNair the past 2 years.

Now the media is filling the air with the fact that the Titans need to move Volek and get the QB of the future as McNair fades to exit. I am not sure that Volek wouldn't be a surer bet for the Titans than an untested QB coming out of college, many of whom come in the first round and don't even become average QB's. If the Titans don't think so then I am sure that there are more than a few other NFL teams that would given his past performance as a fill-in. Volek also has a pretty good gun which will take him a long ways and appears calm in the pocket. JMHO.

OK except that Carlsons TD/INT ration is the reverse of Voleks (1/2 instead of 2/1). But that was an intelligent comment.

Maybe I am missing something. Last year boards were filled with comments about how Volek was the best QB without a starting job and maybe he should be starting over McNair. He ended the 2004 season with a flurry after subbing in for McNair. He finished that season with 8 starts and a QB rating of 87 and would have thrown 25+ TD's in that season with more starts (18 in 10 total games and 8 starts). Last year he only started one game which doesn't really give us much more insight. He isn't really a guy who turns the ball over a ton either. The stats don't point to hime being a mediocre QB, as the league average QB rating is 82. So he was a better than average QB over the 8 games he started in 2004, with a rating near what Jake Delhomme did last year and better than McNair the past 2 years.

Now the media is filling the air with the fact that the Titans need to move Volek and get the QB of the future as McNair fades to exit. I am not sure that Volek wouldn't be a surer bet for the Titans than an untested QB coming out of college, many of whom come in the first round and don't even become average QB's. If the Titans don't think so then I am sure that there are more than a few other NFL teams that would given his past performance as a fill-in. Volek also has a pretty good gun which will take him a long ways and appears calm in the pocket. JMHO.
This wasnt said by anyone who watches the Titans or knows them well.Classic case of guys reading the box scores and thinking big stats mean big ability.

OK except that Carlsons TD/INT ration is the reverse of Voleks (1/2 instead of 2/1). But that was an intelligent comment.
It was an intelligent comment. Carlson was at least Volek's equal if not his better.

I like Volek, he's a capable player but not a starter. I was in ATL in 04 when he lead the comeback from 24-0. That was bad ###.

Maybe I am missing something.  Last year boards were filled with comments about how Volek was the best QB without a starting job and maybe he should be starting over McNair.  He ended the 2004 season with a flurry after subbing in for McNair.  He finished that season with 8 starts and a QB rating of 87 and would have thrown 25+ TD's in that season with more starts (18 in 10 total games and 8 starts).  Last year he only started one game which doesn't really give us much more insight.  He isn't really a guy who turns the ball over a ton either.  The stats don't point to hime being a mediocre QB, as the league average QB rating is 82.  So he was a better than average QB over the 8 games he started in 2004, with a rating near what Jake Delhomme did last year and better than McNair the past 2 years. 

Now the media is filling the air with the fact that the Titans need to move Volek and get the QB of the future as McNair fades to exit.  I am not sure that Volek wouldn't be a surer bet for the Titans than an untested QB coming out of college, many of whom come in the first round and don't even become average QB's.  If the Titans don't think so then I am sure that there are more than a few other NFL teams that would given his past performance as a fill-in.  Volek also has a pretty good gun which will take him a long ways and appears calm in the pocket.  JMHO.
This wasnt said by anyone who watches the Titans or knows them well.Classic case of guys reading the box scores and thinking big stats mean big ability.
Just for the record I never meant implied that he was a great QB, just that he isn't bad, at least from what I have seen of him over the past two years. Maybe/probably persons closer to the Titans know better than I, all I see is game day.

Carleson was the guy who many fans were sold on as Moon's replacement. Fast forward to today and the same franchise has Volek doing his best Commander Cody impersonation with a good % of fans thinking he will be McNair’s replacement when he moves on like Moon did. Volek like Carleson are good NFL back ups, but not good enough to be considered a long term solution. I’m not big on stats as a good way to compare football players for the most part…so I never even looked at the stat line. I have seen both of these guys enough.

OK except that Carlsons TD/INT ration is the reverse of Voleks (1/2 instead of 2/1).  But that was an intelligent comment.
Carleson was the guy who many fans were sold on as Moon's replacement. Fast forward to today and the same franchise has Volek doing his best Commander Cody impersonation with a good % of fans thinking he will be McNair’s replacement when he moves on like Moon did. Volek like Carleson are good NFL back ups, but not good enough to be considered a long term solution. I’m not big on stats as a good way to compare football players for the most part…so I never even looked at the stat line. I have seen both of these guys enough.
Fari enough, see your point.

OK except that Carlsons TD/INT ration is the reverse of Voleks (1/2 instead of 2/1).  But that was an intelligent comment.
It was an intelligent comment. Carlson was at least Volek's equal if not his better.
So you're saying that you don't like Volek?

I keep hearing how the Titans are interested in taking which ever quarterback falls to them; Young or Lienart. If there is meat to this speculation, how come rumors don't exist about the Titans shopping Volek ala the Skins and Patrick Ramsey?

I think it makes perfect sense to wait and make sure they really do draft a QB. What if they trade Volek, but get an offer they can't refuse for the #3 pick next month?

I keep hearing how the Titans are interested in taking which ever quarterback falls to them; Young or Lienart.  If there is meat to this speculation, how come rumors don't exist about the Titans shopping Volek ala the Skins and Patrick Ramsey?

I think it makes perfect sense to wait and make sure they really do draft a QB. What if they trade Volek, but get an offer they can't refuse for the #3 pick next month?
I can live with that. Maybe this tells me that they are not equally high on all 3 or the top 2 quarterbacks. If they are high on Leinart and down on Young (or vice versa), then trading Volek would not be a good idea.However, if they viewed Young and Lienart as equal, is there a chance that neither fall to them at #3? :unsure:

Users who are viewing this thread