What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Tennis: French Open wide open (2 Viewers)

Tomljanovic has been incredible from what I have seen. Great mental toughness, considering someone yells out Serena seemingly every other serve of hers right before she starts it. I guess the ump is too afraid to tell the crowd to follow proper etiquette and not yell when a player is beginning their serve.

Great match. Tomijanovich definitely deserved that W.
It's clear her game plan as the match wore on was to keep points going long to wear Williams out. Gusty effort by Williams, but her age caught up to her.

As you mentioned earlier, even though Serena won the 2nd set, that's where she lost the match. Great composure by Tomijanovich given the circumstances.

I've enjoyed that Raducanu backed up that last year's uso was one of the greatest fluke runs ever. Women's tennis is an absolute joke right now.

I hate that Joker hasn't gotten to play 2 of the majors. I know he could. But tennis wise it sucks.

That said in the post Federer era I'm only watching about 1\20th of the tennis I used to. Sucks

I know some will want to shoot the messenger, given that he is a bit of a tool, but Jason Whitlock has a good breakdown here of why Serena Williams is not the female GOAT when it comes to tennis:

I do think Graf is, at a minimum, way closer to Serena than she's given credit for though. She won 22 majors, a calendar Golden Slam, and retired at 30. There's an argument IMO.
For sure. The idea that Williams is the unquestioned GOAT is ridiculous, considering others have a strong argument as well. One thing not brought up was that Williams has had less than difficult competition over her career. Think of the greatest women's tennis players ever. Did any of them have their prime at the same time as Serena? Nope. Meanwhile, the primes of Graff, Evert and Martina all pretty much overlapped (maybe not Evert and Graff as much). And of course Margaret Court, not Serena, has the most majors ever, but we are supposed to ignore that, I suppose.

Well, I think of greatest as meaning "would beat all the others more often than they'd lose". So Court, BJK, Everett, Martina and most of the others are right out IMO. They just wouldn't be able to handle the pace.

The only two I've seen that I think had the overall game and enough power to compete with Serena were Graf and a maybe a pre-stabbing Seles (people forget how completely dominant she was). But Graf is the one I'd really like to see. She was strong, crazy tough minded and didn't really have holes in her game. I'd still give the edge to Serena overall, but it's close IMO.

I do think Graf is, at a minimum, way closer to Serena than she's given credit for though. She won 22 majors, a calendar Golden Slam, and retired at 30. There's an argument IMO.
For sure. The idea that Williams is the unquestioned GOAT is ridiculous, considering others have a strong argument as well. One thing not brought up was that Williams has had less than difficult competition over her career. Think of the greatest women's tennis players ever. Did any of them have their prime at the same time as Serena? Nope. Meanwhile, the primes of Graff, Evert and Martina all pretty much overlapped (maybe not Evert and Graff as much). And of course Margaret Court, not Serena, has the most majors ever, but we are supposed to ignore that, I suppose.
You’re talking about Serena’s competition and then bring up Margaret Court? Come on.

Evert has said multiple times Serena is the greatest ever. Pretty sure Martina has too.

Well, I think of greatest as meaning "would beat all the others more often than they'd lose". So Court, BJK, Everett, Martina and most of the others are right out IMO. They just wouldn't be able to handle the pace.

The only two I've seen that I think had the overall game and enough power to compete with Serena were Graf and a maybe a pre-stabbing Seles (people forget how completely dominant she was). But Graf is the one I'd really like to see. She was strong, crazy tough minded and didn't really have holes in her game. I'd still give the edge to Serena overall, but it's close IMO.
Those are all hypotheticals, all of which are based on opinions and scenarios that will never happen. I think it is better to judge and rank players based off what they did, not what they could have done in a different era or against that player or whatever.
You’re talking about Serena’s competition and then bring up Margaret Court? Come on.

Evert has said multiple times Serena is the greatest ever. Pretty sure Martina has too.
That is just Evert and Martina being gracious and showing humility. I doubt either would have the arrogance to ever call themselves the GOAT (a true GOAT never really has to come out and say it). Meanwhile, Serena calls herself the GOAT on the home page of her website and sells overpriced merchandise there where she calls herself the GOAT. The next time Serena Williams shows a little humility will be the first time. She's an all-timer for sure, but she is more Michael Jordan than Wayne Gretzky (to compare her to two widely-called GOATs for a moment); that killer instinct on the court that makes them so great at their sport is what also makes them not very likable people (for many).

The Dirtiest Player In The Game back at it, in Primetime, at Flushing. :WHOO!:

Nick kyrgios is a national treasure. For all nations.

Nick running Daniil McPoyle right out.

Medvedev cannot handle the kyrgios experience

We were sitting down to dinner and my wife saw Nick on the tv. "Oh man, this doosh bag again?"

She knows.

I understand why people think that but I honestly think that he is just genuinely himself and sometimes that is terrible and sometimes that’s amazing and sometimes it’s fun and sometimes it’s super irritating. I still would rather watch him than just about any other player

The Dirtiest Player In The Game back at it, in Primetime, at Flushing. :WHOO!:

Nick kyrgios is a national treasure. For all nations.

Nick running Daniil McPoyle right out.

Medvedev cannot handle the kyrgios experience

We were sitting down to dinner and my wife saw Nick on the tv. "Oh man, this doosh bag again?"

She knows.

I understand why people think that but I honestly think that he is just genuinely himself and sometimes that is terrible and sometimes that’s amazing and sometimes it’s fun and sometimes it’s super irritating. I still would rather watch him than just about any other player

I don't disagree. I kinda hate that his mental/emotional health sometimes handicaps his AMAZING natural ability. He is a supremely gifted player. His serve and volley game tonight was friggin ridic.

Love krazykyrgi

sad to see Coco lose... but she was definitely outplayed tonight. Garcia was crushing it consistently deep and keeping coco on the defensive.

I've enjoyed that Raducanu backed up that last year's uso was one of the greatest fluke runs ever. Women's tennis is an absolute joke right now.

I hate that Joker hasn't gotten to play 2 of the majors. I know he could. But tennis wise it sucks.

That said in the post Federer era I'm only watching about 1\20th of the tennis I used to. Sucks
if only there was one person winning everything instead... that would make things awesome.

I prefer the parity.

and again- I LOVED that a teenager came through qualifying and won the US Open. just an amazing story- regardless of what she's done since (as a teenager) or what she might have in her future. Fernandez has been the clear better player and likely has the better future... doesn't diminish what an amazing story last years' open was. and still weird to me that you seem to relish somebody else's brief and likely flukey success not being gold star continuing success.

You seem very bitter about this. Just enjoy the sports.

19 year old Carlos Alcaraz ( 🇪🇸) just won a 5-set, 5:15 classic over 21 year old Jannik Sinner(🇮🇹.) High quality tennis and Alcaraz is a joy to watch.

#3 seed, taking on Tiafoe (🇺🇸) in one semi. McEnroe thinks he will be a multiple GS winner.

In terms of living tennis royalty, it doesn’t get any bigger than Billie Jean, Chrissie and Martina on the Women’s side. They all have the same opinion on who is the GoAT.

Yep. Anyone complaining about this Open definitely isn't watching it. Some great tennis being played.

Yep. Anyone complaining about this Open definitely isn't watching it. Some great tennis being played.

what a match!

Tiafoe wins his 8th straight tiebreak (new U.S. Open record) to force a 5th set

Iga Świątek is looking to add a hardcourt major title today to her two Roland Garros wins. Her opponent was the runner up at Wimbledon.

Tomorrow will be accession and coronation day at Flushing Meadow. The winner will achieve his first grand slam AND will become number one in the world rankings.

(5) Casper Rudd 🇳🇴ATP #7, 44-15 in 2022, 2nd GS Final (2nd @ 2022 Roland Garros). He’s 0-2 head-to-head versus his opponent, losing both on straight sets.

(3) Carlos Alcaraz 🇪🇸ATP #4, 50-9 in 2022, two Masters 1000 wins (Miami & Madrid), four titles for the season.

Last year Alcaraz became the youngest US Open quarterfinalist since 1963. This year he became the youngest man to reach a US Open semifinal and final since Pete Sampras in 1990 (when he won the title at 19.)

If he wins tomorrow, as is widely anticipated, he’ll be the youngest world number 1 of the Open Era.

Alcaraz beat Rudd in the finals at Miami, after which he received congratulations from the King of Spain and Rafael Nadal. The day after he turned 19, he beat Rafa at Madrid - and the next day he beat Djokovic. This has been building a long time, the first teenager in the rankings since Andy Murray in 2007.

Tiafoe showed a ton of heart in getting that thing to a 5th set. I thought he was done in the 4th when he got down a game early on. I was rooting for him, as he's from my neck of the woods.

I haven't watched much of Ruud. He's obviously very good.

But Alcaraz is something special. He's no longer an up-and-comer - he's there. You can just see it. I'm no expert, but he doesn't seem to have any holes in his game and it appears his style would appear to translate across surfaces.

Betting odds for those curious

Alcaraz: -230
Ruud: +180

Humor me as I’m a non-bettor…

This means you’d have to bet $230 on Alcaraz to win your money back + $100, and if you bet $100 on Rudd you would receive $180?

Or is that not even close…

Betting odds for those curious

Alcaraz: -230
Ruud: +180

Humor me as I’m a non-bettor…

This means you’d have to bet $230 on Alcaraz to win your money back + $100, and if you bet $100 on Rudd you would receive $180?

Or is that not even close…

$180 plus your $100 back on Ruud. Yes, you've got it.

I missed that part :lol:

I thought bet 100 Rudd get 180 if he wins, but it’s 100 in 280 payout

anyway good to know what everyone else is talking about lol thnx

Good start for Alcaraz in the first set, but he has fallen in love with his drop shot too much in the second. It has cost him a number of times as Ruud looks to even things up.

ETA: Fittingly, Ruud wins the second set on another ill-advised drop shot from the Spaniard.

Alcaraz guts out the 3rd in a tiebreak. Ruud looked like the better player for much of that set, but Alcaraz dug deep on the points that mattered the most.

Selfishly disappointed we don’t get a big send off for Roger, upset there isn’t at least one more view of him on Centre Court at Wimbledon. Well deserved retirement to my personal GOAT, his play was poetry in motion

My all-time favorite.

He wasn’t merely the best player of his time; he was the best ambassador any sport ever had. Feel so lucky to have seen him at his peak. Saw the majority of his US Open matches when he won five consecutive years at Flushing Meadow (2004-08), including his first three finals.

First time I saw him live - Round of 32 match vs Juan Carlos Ferrero (now the coach of Alcaraz) at The Grandstand Court on a Friday afternoon.

this rally was insane

JCF beat him in 4 sets (2 tie breaks), but in the 3rd set Fed blew him off the court 6-1.

Few athletes ever brought me more joy. Mark Fidrych. Barry. Tiger. Roger. That’s my Mr Rushmore of Joy.

He could hit shots that defied science, just blew our minds.

Ten Times Federer Blew Our Minds

the last 2 are really great (VS Roddick and Agassi)

Users who are viewing this thread