What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Thank you Cecil and Sigmund (1 Viewer)

Truebluey

Footballguy
I don't know how many of you listen to the various Football Guys podcasts on this site (The Audible), but I highly recommend them. And this year I want to give them a huge shout-out because after 17 years of trying in my Championship League, I finally won the title - thanks mainly to their stellar advice.

I have a 45-minute commute to work each way and so it's perfect time-wise for me to listen to their weekly recap, On The Couch, The Waiver Wire show, The Audible on Thursdays, and the Weekly Previews. As well as containing a level of football analysis that is WAY ahead of what you hear on other podcasts, the obvious camaraderie among Cecil Lammey, Sigmund Bloom, Matt Waldman and Gene Brammell makes listening a real pleasure. It's like joining a bunch of friends shooting the breeze and having a great time every week.

This year there was a lot of specific advice they gave which helped me win my league. I drafted in the 11-hole in a 12-teamer and I chose Demarco Murray in Round 1 because Sig in the season preview of the Cowboys explained that "This is the guy you want if you need to match up with the Jamaal Charles and Matt Fortes of the world." Sig also reassured listeners that Murray was NOT injury-prone, and in fact could tough it out with the best of them - prescient advice as it turned out.

Cecil was the one who was hugely high on Emmanuel Sanders during draft season. He was raving about Sanders in training and pre-season, talking about him lining up all over the field and the way Peyton loved using him. In my case I had drafted DT in Round 2 so it seemed a little crazy to go with BOTH the Broncos WRs, but Cecil totally convinced me, so I picked Manny in Round 5 and obviously that was a huge payoff for me, having both the #2 and #6 WRs in the NFL this year.

Sigmund gave me the confidence to draft Kelvin Benjamin in Round 8. In his preseason shows he raved about all the good signs in training camp that were pointing to a successful rookie campaign - good chemistry with Cam, good attitude, high usage. KB was a terrific WR3 for me. I also got Kelce in Round 13 based on Sig's love of the big TE and so I can use him as a potential keeper next year. He was a very serviceable TE all season and came up huge for me in Week 1 of the playoffs when he helped me mostly offset my opponent's big game from Greg Olsen on the way to a narrow win.

But the advice that put my team over the top was buried in the Week 5 Waiver Wire Show on September 30. If you listen to the show every week, you know Sigmund goes through all the prospects and puts them in tiers of who might be the most valuable for picking up and roughly how much relative FAABs you should spend to acquire them. That week they listed these WRs:

12%-25%

Torrey Smith

Terrance Williams

7%-15%

Dwayne Bowe

Andre Holmes

Greg Jennings

Reuben Randall

3%-5%

Devin Hester

James Jones

Eddie Royal

Jarius Wright

1%

Allen Hurns

Brian Hartline

Odell Beckham Jr.

But the funny thing was, although Odell Beckham Jr was at the bottom of the list of 13 WRs, they spent over 5 minutes discussing what a talented rookie he was. Cecil raved about his "complete set of skills", his ability to "levitate", "run after the catch", and his "explosive dynamic". Sig outright said "Beckham could be sensational, he didn't go 12th in the draft for nothing", and Cecil wrapped it up by saying "you don't want to wait until you're watching the highlights and see him go for 150 yards and 2 TDs, go get him now before he takes the field." So I picked him up the next morning (didn't even cost me a waiver spot since no one used a waiver on him) and OMG the past 2 months have been the most fun I have EVER had in 17 years of fantasy football. I was thinking of Cecil's words as I watched "The Catch" that Sunday night against the Cowboys - I was so happy I didn't wait to get him.

So thank you, Cecil and Sigmund. And just a big thank for all the hard work you do every week that you make look so effortless. It must be a helluva grind putting out so much content every week - but it's worth it for the terrific entertainment (& knowledge) you provide.

Happy New Year

I too grabbed Odell after listening to Sig…thanks for that. Got me to the title game but thanks to Luck and Haushka I lost by a few points. Wouldn't have made it without Odell though.

Users who are viewing this thread