What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Thanks For The DIscussion (4 Viewers)

it's because they aren't aware of the army of thousands upon thousands of silent lurkers and semi-lurkers like me who are here digesting and laughing it up at all times. both the pool and ffa. best place to read real people's almost-raw opinions on all things football and otherwise and mostly keeping it civil. :suds:

I think our forums are outstanding. Yes, I'd like to see more new and younger folks but I know there are platforms they prefer. So that may be what it is.

I do want us to be as welcoming as we can. That's why I ask our moderators to watch the slapfight bickering we get so much in the team threads where people take shots at each other.

I care about good discussion that will help people with football. And I'm thankful we have a ton of that here.

But still, we're constantly adding new folks. 8 currently in the queue to be approved from just this morning. Obviously, the vast majority of folks read and don't post. And that's fine too as long there's value being delivered.

It was almost off the front page because @Hot Sauce Guy was creating duplicate threads of all the topics.

JK Hot Sauce Guy… I love you and your sauce.
:lmao: at the "Shark Pool is unreadable and dead" talk I see. Tried to add something to the Davante Adams thread I posted something to a couple of hours ago and it was almost already off the front page.

Y'all are awesome. Thanks for great discussion. :hifive:

To be fair the front page probably holds half as many threads as "the good ol days"

Who has been saying this Joe?

I get this pretty often. And I get it, way more people would rather complain about the current and compare it to the "good ol days" than do anything about trying to improve things. Complaining is always the go-to for a ton of people.
I see this on every forum, Facebook, reedit, etc.

To be fair the front page probably holds half as many threads as "the good ol days"

I get this pretty often. And I get it, way more people would rather complain about the current and compare it to the "good ol days" than do anything about trying to improve things. Complaining is always the go-to for a ton of people.

Agreed. It's human nature in many cases to romanticize the past. It's a lot easier than working to improve the present.

I don't know if there's a topic for this, but I think the football guys vids on YouTube provide value as well.

Except for that Alfredo guy, no way I'm taking football advice from someone that handsome.

Agreed. It's human nature in many cases to romanticize the past. It's a lot easier than working to improve the present.
Agreed.

Back when the internet was young there were other message boards than this one. I participated in discussions on several of them besides this one back then.

Quality of discussion here was so much higher though I pretty much abandoned those other boards.

Now there are many other places for such discussion, so I don't think the SP will ever get back to being the best and only place for that the way I think it once was. It's still my preference though over Twitter or wherever that takes place now days.

I get it thar Twitter reaches a lot more people quickly, but discussions limited to 26 characters are not nearly as high of quality in my opinion by default and I do not use it for that reason.

Whatever floats your boat, but I would prefer a more in depth and nuanced discussion than what occurs there.

People say brevity is the soul of wit when quoting shakespear, yet few know this statement was intentionally ironic.

Agreed.

Back when the internet was young there were other message boards than this one. I participated in discussions on several of them besides this one back then.

Quality of discussion here was so much higher though I pretty much abandoned those other boards.

Now there are many other places for such discussion, so I don't think the SP will ever get back to being the best and only place for that the way I think it once was. It's still my preference though over Twitter or wherever that takes place now days.

I get it thar Twitter reaches a lot more people quickly, but discussions limited to 26 characters are not nearly as high of quality in my opinion by default and I do not use it for that reason.

Whatever floats your boat, but I would prefer a more in depth and nuanced discussion than what occurs there.

People say brevity is the soul of wit when quoting shakespear, yet few know this statement was intentionally ironic.
good post and the bolded imo is why the people who have been around for a long time here make such a great community. i'm for sure generalizing, but the masses don't want a discussion anymore, they just want an audience. so often as of late people come in hot on a topic, torch it, and disappear. kudos to everyone here who understand that disagreements are a necessary part of community.

I realize the main reason people visit the threads is for information, but I have to admit, the bickering and name-calling is fun. But I do understand as an owner that you must ask people to play nice.

For many years, I used and posted regularly on the FFT forums. It was pretty decent, with some good fantasy minds. However, basically being unregulated, as time progressed it became the Wild West and a dumpster fire. Many of the quality posters got sick of the nonsense and dropped out. I moved over here a couple of years ago, and never looked back. Enjoy/appreciate the relative civility and lack of blatant vulgarity. I don't need the drama....I'm here to peruse information that will help me to win a title.....but as mentioned by greenmountaingoat above, a little humor goes a long way in this stressful world in which we live, and, admittedly, I do try to contribute in that regard.

But still, we're constantly adding new folks. 8 currently in the queue to be approved from just this morning. Obviously, the vast majority of folks read and don't post. And that's fine too as long there's value being delivered.
8? I would have figured there were way more aliases cooking up in the que than that :whistle:

8? I would have figured there were way more aliases cooking up in the que than that :whistle:

I might have too. Surprisingly few aliases. Some sure. And they're as lame as you'd expect. But most seem like legit people who want to join and benefit from the discussion. And who don't think the forum is dead or unreadable or half what it was back in 2003.

For many years, I used and posted regularly on the FFT forums. It was pretty decent, with some good fantasy minds. However, basically being unregulated, as time progressed it became the Wild West and a dumpster fire. Many of the quality posters got sick of the nonsense and dropped out. I moved over here a couple of years ago, and never looked back. Enjoy/appreciate the relative civility and lack of blatant vulgarity. I don't need the drama....I'm here to peruse information that will help me to win a title.....but as mentioned by greenmountaingoat above, a little humor goes a long way in this stressful world in which we live, and, admittedly, I do try to contribute in that regard.

100%.

I learned this early on. I have a good friend who's a well known national writer now. I encouraged him to post on our forums. He wrote a really nice thoughtful post. First response was "LOL you suck".

And he never came back.

The net effect was some troll got a millisecond of fun. And hundreds of thousands of people missed out over the years on having a super smart guy discussing football and bringing value.

Sure there, are a few people who love to argue and think the bickering is "fun". For way more, they don't have time for the stupid stuff and want to spend their time bringing and receiving value. That's why we try to ask folks to be cool.

I might have too. Surprisingly few aliases. Some sure. And they're as lame as you'd expect. But most seem like legit people who want to join and benefit from the discussion. And who don't think the forum is dead or unreadable or half what it was back in 2003.
To be fair, there has been a loss of some really great, funny posters that could spin yarns like few can. This site is still fantastic and is enjoyable because the nonsense bickering has been eliminated. Feels like the site has picked up steam this year compared to last year. The s shark pool is where I go for FF information and I have not found anything better. Thanks to all of you that contribute. You are good people (except for Chiefs fans).

To be fair, there has been a loss of some really great, funny posters that could spin yarns like few can. This site is still fantastic and is enjoyable because the nonsense bickering has been eliminated. Feels like the site has picked up steam this year compared to last year. The s shark pool is where I go for FF information and I have not found anything better. Thanks to all of you that contribute. You are good people (except for Chiefs fans).

For sure. We've lost some posters over the years as any site does. People come and go and interest sometimes falls off. We're getting to an age where some have sadly passed on from this life like wikkid.

None that I know of though are not here for not being able to bicker and call names.

Even though the SP can get testy at times, it's still the best source of player conversation, advice, and in my case, dynasty content. Otherwise I wouldn't have spent the last 23 years (going back to old yeller days) in here to help my fantasy acumen.

If FBGs was no longer here it would feel like a death in the family.

Last edited:
my 2 cents, if your team hasn't had a new thread in a while, start a new one and try to update it frequently.

i did that this season for the Browns, and it seems like we are slowly getting more posters to contribute to the discussion.
This is a great post. I’m jealous of the activity in some of the other team threads sometimes.

I like reading the Raiders thread because it’s chock full of great info every week and very active with a lot of users and a lot of misery.

I guess misery really DOES love company.

They are very active over there.

Our Vikings thread is still named 2022.

But we have some quality posters including the great @Biabreakable

:lmao: at the "Shark Pool is unreadable and dead" talk I see. Tried to add something to the Davante Adams thread I posted something to a couple of hours ago and it was almost already off the front page.

As a newer member due to that "other forum" being wiped out I am glad to have a new home. Some things are a bit frustrating learning to navigate around here. I do have a few suggestions and thoughts:

1) Having one thread for a player since the start of time and just adding to it each year is messy. Can be difficult to figure out where to pick up things. I suggest a new player thread and a new team thread for each year with the year in the title. Seemed to work very well at that other place...
2) quick link/button to click to see all new posts since the last time visited. Maybe I'm just blind but I cannot find it it seems. Difficult to navigate to find new posts with each thread so one does not have to scroll through pages to find where one left off. Again this could be my own failings.
3) I do like that for the most part it is very civil here and bickering and flaming seems to be managed. I do appreciate that. Some other forums get out of hand and makes it not enjoyable. Mods continue to do a good job!

Again, nice to have a new home as I sort through these massively long threads... too long at times.

As a newer member due to that "other forum" being wiped out I am glad to have a new home. Some things are a bit frustrating learning to navigate around here. I do have a few suggestions and thoughts:

1) Having one thread for a player since the start of time and just adding to it each year is messy. Can be difficult to figure out where to pick up things. I suggest a new player thread and a new team thread for each year with the year in the title. Seemed to work very well at that other place....

See, I’m the opposite here. Maybe it’s because I’m solely a dynasty player, but having all of a players info in one thread is great imo. If a player comes on my radar and I want to research them, there’s one thread where all the conversation is. I can go back to the beginning (often times while they’re still in college) and scroll through the posts to find info.

Just did that last night with Trey Palmer. It would absolutely suck to have to find multiple threads on one player.

For sure. We've lost some posters over the years as any site does. People come and go and interest sometimes falls off. We're getting to an age where some have sadly passed on from this life like wikkid.

None that I know of though are not here for not being able to bicker and call names.
You are correct. Some posters have left because life changes. Some left because of the PG path chosen. I miss the adult content but I totally understand the decision and respect it.

1) Having one thread for a player since the start of time and just adding to it each year is messy. Can be difficult to figure out where to pick up things. I suggest a new player thread and a new team thread for each year with the year in the title. Seemed to work very well at that other place...
2) quick link/button to click to see all new posts since the last time visited. Maybe I'm just blind but I cannot find it it seems. Difficult to navigate to find new posts with each thread so one does not have to scroll through pages to find where one left off. Again this could be my own failings.
3) I do like that for the most part it is very civil here and bickering and flaming seems to be managed. I do appreciate that. Some other forums get out of hand and makes it not enjoyable. Mods continue to do a good job!

Again, nice to have a new home as I sort through these massively long threads... too long at times.

Thanks @Big Nate Welcome. What was the other forum?

And for sure, open to talk about next year at the end of this year. We've had lots of talks about the giant threads and we can revisit maybe at the of the season. Pros and cons for sure.

1) Having one thread for a player since the start of time and just adding to it each year is messy. Can be difficult to figure out where to pick up things. I suggest a new player thread and a new team thread for each year with the year in the title. Seemed to work very well at that other place....

See, I’m the opposite here. Maybe it’s because I’m solely a dynasty player, but having all of a players info in one thread is great imo. If a player comes on my radar and I want to research them, there’s one thread where all the conversation is. I can go back to the beginning (often times while they’re still in college) and scroll through the posts to find info.

Just did that last night with Trey Palmer. It would absolutely suck to have to find multiple threads on one player.
I think Joe might lean more towards Nates opinion about this as he has said so before that he wants threads to be more fresh and up to date. He is thinking about how that makes for a more friendly format for new posters who do get bogged down with things like Nate said.

Joe is a good egg though and he listens to us. Some of have fought for things to stay the way they are for similar reasons that you just stated. What we have here is a compromise.

I will add that if someone does commit a good amount of time to a post in a thread, they don't want to have to keep repeating those ideas every year or whatever time frame it is updated. Those carefully crafted posts just get jettisoned then with a new thread and lost forever. This would discourage people to make such posts in the future. I have seen that happen in other forums and some really good posts get lost that way. I don't think we want that to happen either.

I think Joe might lean more towards Nates opinion about this as he has said so before that he wants threads to be more fresh and up to date. He is thinking about how that makes for a more friendly format for new posters who do get bogged down with things like Nate said.

Joe is a good egg though and he listens to us. Some of have fought for things to stay the way they are for similar reasons that you just stated. What we have here is a compromise.

I will add that if someone does commit a good amount of time to a post in a thread, they don't want to have to keep repeating those ideas every year or whatever time frame it is updated. Those carefully crafted posts just get jettisoned then with a new thread and lost forever. This would discourage people to make such posts in the future. I have seen that happen in other forums and some really good posts get lost that way. I don't think we want that to happen either.
Idk if there is a way to archive posts from a thread after 2-3 years? Using Mahomes for example, maybe archive posts from 2-3 years ago and back?

I don't know if there's a topic for this, but I think the football guys vids on YouTube provide value as well.

Except for that Alfredo guy, no way I'm taking football advice from someone that handsome.

Agree. I'm not happy that the power grid was rebranded without notice when John left, but still good content.

Guess I just don’t see an issue with finding info in a single thread. Clicking on the thread title takes you directly to your last unread post. Clicking on the “_____ minutes ago” link takes you to the last post.

If you’re not looking for any of those then it’s still faster to search the thread, rather than trying to find info in multiple threads, imo.

Last edited:

100%.

I learned this early on. I have a good friend who's a well known national writer now. I encouraged him to post on our forums. He wrote a really nice thoughtful post. First response was "LOL you suck".

And he never came back.

The net effect was some troll got a millisecond of fun. And hundreds of thousands of people missed out over the years on having a super smart guy discussing football and bringing value.

Sure there, are a few people who love to argue and think the bickering is "fun". For way more, they don't have time for the stupid stuff and want to spend their time bringing and receiving value. That's why we try to ask folks to be cool.
Tell him I’m sorry, Joe. And it’s safe to come back.

Guess I just don’t see an issue with finding info in a single thread. Clicking on the thread title takes you directly to your last unread post. Clicking on the “_____ minutes ago” link takes you to the last post.

If you’re not looking for any of those then it’s still faster to search the thread than trying to find info in multiple threads, imo.
Yes. Not everyone is aware of this though I guess.

I recall being impatient with @Phantom Knight about this some time back, and I am sorry about that.

Not everyone realizes this right away.

Not often but sometimes what I am talking about leads me back to previous discussion, and it actually saves me time going back and finding it, quoting back to it. Also gives me the chance to give credit to other posters who contributed something from back awhile ago, which was their idea and I might botch it paraphrasing or just remember wrong.

Particularly if there is some heavy math or data crunching going on. These things especially I don't want to have to go through the entire process of again.

I think Joe is aware of the pros and cons here and is looking for a happy medium.

Last edited:

100%.

And he never came back.

Tell him I’m sorry, Joe. And it’s safe to come back.

That's the thing, you usually get just one chance. Now he does his Sirius show and never thinks about what could have been here. And we're all the worse for it.

It is what it is. That one isn't changing. But I can do something about the future and try my best not to let that happen again.

This board is a gem. I remember years ago I bookmarked it from fantasy football hub which had about 20+ links to solid FF sites. This was and still is the go to site for me for info. I don't post much because life but I find it always a great read on players, thoughts etc.

I believe the Internet and social media has all pretty much become the Wild West much in due part to society in general. Much of the news and media is a circus and people tend to do and say what they want behind computers, phones which I feel many don't even bother posting.

Delete the Gibbs thread and life will be back to normal around here 😂🤣🙂

This is a great forum I think I’ve been here for over a decade. More of a lurker than a poster but I like to chime in here and there 😎

Thanks @Big Nate Welcome. What was the other forum?
I assume he is referring to the Rotoworld forums that were shut down this year.

Quite a few of them migrated here, many of them went to the start up forum Bettor In Green.

BIG looks to be very active and kind of a hybrid between the Reddit fantasy football sub and the Shark Pool. More humor and crap talk than here (but moderated so it doesn't stoop to the levels of some places) but not as much in depth discussion, community, and home team analysis that you get here.

Last edited:
About a decade or so ago (maybe longer), a couple of friends in my home league were looking to find some place to find good fantasy football info, which was not easy back then. So I sent out an email to everyone in the league titled "IYKYK" and inside was the following message...

For Outstanding Opinions, The Best Articles, Letters Laid Glaringly Under Your Snout. Context Obviously Matters

The responses to the email ranged from equally cryptic to bewildered. It was awesome! Someone finally figured it out and answered with the following response...

For Outstanding Opinions, The Best Articles, Letters Laid Glaringly Under Your Snout . Context Obviously Matters

I didn't mind them finding out about my "secret weapon", but I wanted them to at least work for it a little.

Now 10 out of 12 of us use either the new DD or DD Classic (me), which you might think leveled the playing field a little too much.

However, if you know the tendencies of your fellow league mates AND the list they are drafting from, that can be a pretty large advantage in and of itself. :shades:

Users who are viewing this thread