What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The “Woke” thread (4 Viewers)

I think the entire narrative is politically motivated to fire up the right’s base.  Are there anecdotal instances where people go to far?  Absolutely.  The incident at Middlebury College a few years ago comes to mind.  But there isn’t a vast conspiracy against the right to silence their views. And that’s the narrative that Tucker, Hannity, Rush, etc feed their base, playing into the victim hood complex we see on the right.  

And let’s be clear, people aren’t being fired from jobs or smeared on social media because they state that due to their conservative economic beliefs they support a 34% federal tax rate on income over 400k, or that they are opposed to a local land use decision, or want a local ordinance changed that affects the building code.  People are facing these consequences in large part because of social views that are arcane and out of touch with society.  I believe that’s a good thing.  
Except that's not the case.  

A lot of these "cancellations" are over things people did 20 years ago.  People appologize and say "those actions were wrong and hurtful.  They don't reflect who I am now."  And it's not enough.  The mob demands they be fired.  Firing is the only way to make people whole again.  

A lot of people argue against drug testing people on welfare because that money is the only money they have to feed their kids on.  But if someone crosses the line with their speech, we no longer care if their kids eat.  

Rather than saying 1 action defines you and you need to lose your job and your ability to feed your kids--why don't we work to eliminate the behaviors instead of the people?  

Hold on a second.  Tim was just joking about not knowing what a TED talk is, right?  Like in a "Who is the Weeknd and why does he spell his name wrong?" shtick sense, right?
I know what TED talks are (of course), but I still don't know what the Weeknd is except that it has something to do with the Super Bowl halftime show.

:(

https://www.rawstory.com/jim-jordan-cancel-culture/

Jim Jordan argues 'cancel culture' is 'the number one issue for the country' despite pandemic

Rep. Jim Jordan (R-OH) on Sunday said that so-called "cancel culture" is the "number one issue for the country" despite the deadly COVID-19 pandemic that devastated parts of the economy.

Fox News host Maria Bartiromo asked Jordan if cancel culture had gone too far after one of Donald Trump's attorneys faced public scorn over his appearance at the former president's second impeachment trial.

"We've all had it," Jordan complained. "We've all got death threats. This is ridiculous. This cancel culture is so dangerous and we have to push back."

"If we don't push back on this and stop it and stand up," he continued, "it will only get worse. So this is the number one issues for the country to address today."

"It's true," Bartiromo agreed, turning to panelist Alan Dershowitz. "How do you stop this constant bullying?"

"Cancel culture is quickly becoming American culture," Dershowitz argued. "If any lawyer is the subject of this kind of McCarthyism, I will represent you pro bono."

"I'm going to dedicate myself to making sure that the new McCarthyism of the hard left doesn't become American culture," he said.
Good read..thx.       Not as bad as pandemic but I agree with you it is still a big problem. 

Just don`t understand how a person can made one slip of the tongue and people want them fired.  Still don`t know how Bill Maher got away with dropping a N-bomb on live TV but I am glad he did not get fired as most everyone knew it was a joke.  But people have been fired for less.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the entire narrative is politically motivated to fire up the right’s base.  Are there anecdotal instances where people go to far?  Absolutely.  The incident at Middlebury College a few years ago comes to mind.  But there isn’t a vast conspiracy against the right to silence their views. And that’s the narrative that Tucker, Hannity, Rush, etc feed their base, playing into the victim hood complex we see on the right.
There doesn't have to be a conspiracy. Just like certain institutions don't have to be full of individually conspiring racists in order for systemic racism to emerge from them. Same concept.

@IvanKaramazov your mention of the Hollywood Blacklist illustrates an earlier point of mine because it’s so dissimilar to the current “cancel culture” complaint. The key difference is that the Blacklist was created, and fomented, by the FBI. Hoover’s men went to all the studios and warned the executives about “questionable” employees and put pressure on them to be fired. The government created and fostered the atmosphere of fear that developed. That’s the exact opposite of a groundswell movement of cultural change which results in behavior which most people have always known was bad is no longer tolerated. 

I don't disagree with this part.  However, I think I disagree with you on how common it is or what % of the time a firing would be justified.  

At my most optimistic, I think this is on the lines of #metoo.  Its an overcorrection to something that might have been unchecked for too long, but in the long run it will calm down and normalize.  

I get the feeling that this is causing  a rift in both parties.  I am getting there, and I've encountered several people who are normally 100% left that are also tiring of what they see as excessive correction of language and ideas. 
This would make for a interesting spin-off topic.  I'm actually pretty supportive of #metoo -- I think it's good that predators like Harvey Weinstein are gone, and I think it's good that relatively few people are so quick to defend Bill Clinton any more.  Sexual harassment and sexual violence shouldn't be part of the workplace.  

Where I disagree with #metoo is in implementing Title IX on college campuses, which went too far the other way during the Obama years.  That's a big exception, but otherwise I consider myself a supporter.

The woke stuff is totally different in my mind, because it typically involves manufactured outrage over "harmful" speech, which is totally different than actual harm caused by real conduct.

@IvanKaramazov your mention of the Hollywood Blacklist illustrates an earlier point of mine because it’s so dissimilar to the current “cancel culture” complaint. The key difference is that the Blacklist was created, and fomented, by the FBI. Hoover’s men went to all the studios and warned the executives about “questionable” employees and put pressure on them to be fired. The government created and fostered the atmosphere of fear that developed. That’s the exact opposite of a groundswell movement of cultural change which results in behavior which most people have always known was bad is no longer tolerated. 
I'm 100% confident that there was a popular groundswell against communism in the 1940s and 1950s.  Which is good, because communism is a pretty loathsome ideology.  But that doesn't stop me from enjoying Sean Penn performances.

It seems to me that this phrase “cancel culture” exploded as a direct backlash to the “Me Too” movement and Harvey Weinstein in particular. The actual phrase may have originated from the Left (don’t know, don’t care, it’s not relevant to the discussion) but today it’s almost exclusively a right wing phrase meant to complain about the fact that society is changing, and a substantial element of this complaint is that men can’t treat women like they used to. IMO. 

I'm 100% confident that there was a popular groundswell against communism in the 1940s and 1950s.  Which is good, because communism is a pretty loathsome ideology.  But that doesn't stop me from enjoying Sean Penn performances.
It’s highly debatable whether there was a popular groundswell towards removing people from Hollywood who were sympathetic towards the Soviet Union during World War II. 
But in any case you’re ignoring the main distinction here which is government involvement. Without the government, censorship is a meaningless term. 

It seems to me that this phrase “cancel culture” exploded as a direct backlash to the “Me Too” movement and Harvey Weinstein in particular. The actual phrase may have originated from the Left (don’t know, don’t care, it’s not relevant to the discussion) but today it’s almost exclusively a right wing phrase meant to complain about the fact that society is changing, and a substantial element of this complaint is that men can’t treat women like they used to. IMO. 
What is the most recent cancel culture event/complaint that involves men not being able to treat women like they used to?

Please provide a few representative citations of right-wingers who think that Harvey Weinstein was mistreated.  That should be easy for you to do since that's the driving force behind all of this.

tim, you really don't have much idea about the thread that you started, do you? This is asinine.

First I’ve ever heard of this.

It’s highly debatable whether there was a popular groundswell towards removing people from Hollywood who were sympathetic towards the Soviet Union during World War II. 
But in any case you’re ignoring the main distinction here which is government involvement. Without the government, censorship is a meaningless term. 
Boy, the fish are biting today, aren't they? You're making a ton of assumptions and arguments based on premises that are highly debatable and hotly debated. Instead, you're just bulldozing over nuance like a fine Trumpian would.

That's not an important distinction.  It would be bad for Hollywood directors to blacklist "communists" whether the government told them too or not.  Also, I don't think anybody is using the term "censorship" here -- we all understand that private actions taken by third parties don't implicate the first amendment.  That's a red herring.

tim, you really don't have much idea about the thread that you started, do you? This is asinine.
I think it's important here to keep in mind that tim's media consumption consists of talk radio and cable news.  He literally was unaware of the concept of a Ted talk until just now.  

This is like me opining on the state of popular music in 2021 even though we all know that they stopped making music after Kurt Cobain died.

Holy wow this is insane.  

Me:  "I don't think you should be fired from your job because you wore a confederate flag shirt when you were a 13 year old girl."

Tim:  "This is because you all want to treat women like crap."

Tim, I don't think you've put a lot of thought into this.

There are women that talk about cancel culture.  There are women that have been cancelled.  

You just started a thread and threw hot take after hot take.  

You've implied that people that refer to cancel culture are the same as those that opposed the civil rights movement.  You've implied that using the term cancel culture is being upset that we can no longer mistreat women.  

Get over yourself dude.  

You could go back to the Hollywood blacklists from the 1940s (?) if you wanted to trace this further back.  Both "sides" have been guilty of this kind of illiberalism at various times in US history.  It just so happens that it's mostly a lefty thing right now, but give it 10 years and the shoe could easily end up on the other foot.  Can you imagine the damage that a competent Trump-like figure could do with this sort of thing?
Great post and in particular yes to the bolded.  Todays cancel culture / woke defenders won't want to look at it this way but it is incredibly illiberal.

BTW I 💗 Tim

Just heard on the radio Chris Harrison resigning from The Bachelor series for not being woke. 
I think he's just stepping aside for a bit.  

This is actually how these things should go.  "I've offended and hurt people.  I realize I'm wrong.  I want to do better.  Let me step away to become more informed, and I'll be back better."

Not "You said the wrong stuff, you must be fired.  We won't stop until you're fired."

These terms, much like the older “political correctness”, are being applied to individual situations in order to suggest a larger, insidious purpose which is usually non-existent. They are also mostly used to complain about an effort to prevent rude or bigoted behavior that some of us believe should no longer be tolerated in a civil society, 
I disagree. It's gone way too far.

If you have an hour to kill, here is a good podcast on the subject:

https://www.npr.org/programs/invisibilia/601968934/invisibilia-for-april-13-2018

This is one of Tims positives btw.
Well....I would approach it a different way.  For me, I try to NOT be the smartest guy in the room and make predictions and tell others how to think. That's not a great quality.  Cause then you have to end up backtracking and/or apologizing quite a bit.  So sure, if someone wants to just spew predictions all day, I suppose it is at least admirable when that person can admit he or she was wrong.

Sometimes better to just not do it in the first place but what do I know...

Cancel culture still exists on the left, people have been calling for several years for a boycott of the Harry Potter books by J.K. Rowling due to her bigoted views towards transgender folks. A recent example (although from the UK):

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/education/education-news/sussex-school-names-change-churchill-rowling-b1801304.html

School removes ‘unsuitable’ Churchill and Rowling as house names

A school in East Sussex is renaming two of its houses called after Winston Churchill and JK Rowling, following questions over whether these two figures “represent the school’s core values.”

Seaford Head School in Seaford, East Sussex, has decided to rename the two houses after several students began to question if Mr Churchill and Ms Rowling’s values aligned with those of the school.

Students at the school wrote a letter of complaint, which they sent to parents, students and guardians, explaining how they felt about the names. The letter denounced the British wartime prime minister as “a figure who promoted racism and inequality, unfairly imprisoning and torturing many.”

The letter went on to say that students did not feel that the bestselling Harry Potter author was a suitable representative either. This is due to her words about the trans community, which have been widely condemned.

The students added: “Intolerance and discrimination are treated very severely by our school and we do not want to promote anyone or anything that encourages such prejudice” [...]

I think he's just stepping aside for a bit.  

This is actually how these things should go.  "I've offended and hurt people.  I realize I'm wrong.  I want to do better.  Let me step away to become more informed, and I'll be back better."

Not "You said the wrong stuff, you must be fired.  We won't stop until you're fired."
I just heard a clip from Harrison, he said he was trying to say give a kid who was 17-18 a break but used the word grace for things she did when she was young.  Then it snowballed to he was excusing racism and pooh poohing what the black chick was saying, and he said that was not the case at all.

Churchill, huh? Well, wonders never cease. That was truly inevitable. The commies are gonna eat everything in sight if we let them. If not for Churchill, England might be speaking German, as the old saying goes.

Nothing I’ve posted in this thread is an original thought of mine (though I’d be proud if it was). 
Here is a really good opinion piece which ties the start of the right’s use of “cancel culture” as a term to the Harvey Weinstein case: 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.washingtonpost.com/outlook/2019/10/28/critics-cancel-culture-really-just-hate-democracy/%3foutputType=amp
Oh, so one person has this opinion and you've labeled it as true of everyone in the PSF that refers to cancel culture.  Well thanks for clearing that up.

Oh, so one person has this opinion and you've labeled it as true of everyone in the PSF that refers to cancel culture.  Well thanks for clearing that up.
Not at all. I just happen to find that opinion compelling. You’re welcome to disagree. 

Cancel culture still exists on the left, people have been calling for several years for a boycott of the Harry Potter books by J.K. Rowling due to her bigoted views towards transgender folks. A recent example (although from the UK):

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/education/education-news/sussex-school-names-change-churchill-rowling-b1801304.html

A school in East Sussex is renaming two of its houses called after Winston Churchill and JK Rowling, following questions over whether these two figures “represent the school’s core values.”

Seaford Head School in Seaford, East Sussex, has decided to rename the two houses after several students began to question if Mr Churchill and Ms Rowling’s values aligned with those of the school.

Students at the school wrote a letter of complaint, which they sent to parents, students and guardians, explaining how they felt about the names. The letter denounced the British wartime prime minister as “a figure who promoted racism and inequality, unfairly imprisoning and torturing many.”

The letter went on to say that students did not feel that the bestselling Harry Potter author was a suitable representative either. This is due to her words about the trans community, which have been widely condemned.

The students added: “Intolerance and discrimination are treated very severely by our school and we do not want to promote anyone or anything that encourages such prejudice” [...]
She doesnt have bigoted views. Thats the whole disconnect. 

Nothing I’ve posted in this thread is an original thought of mine (though I’d be proud if it was). 
Here is a really good opinion piece which ties the start of the right’s use of “cancel culture” as a term to the Harvey Weinstein case: 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.washingtonpost.com/outlook/2019/10/28/critics-cancel-culture-really-just-hate-democracy/%3foutputType=amp
I'd read that and waste some time, but it's behind a paywall for me. That's a ridiculous title, by the way. Makes me think of the Freddy DeBoer piece some of us read today. This guy just skipped to the front of the pecking order amongst the woke. And he invoked a hatred of democracy, too, another new shibboleth of the commies in our print media.

Instead of linking to an article saying that right-wingers defended Harvey Weinstein, how about some actual examples of actual right-wingers actually defending Harvey Weinstein?  I'm not talking about the Mark Levins or Rush Limbaughs of the world -- I mean otherwise-credible people who thought that Harvey Weinstein was a victim somehow.

Good luck.  We're all counting on you.   

Edit: The author of the article you approvingly cited doesn't actually provide any examples at all to support his point about Weinstein.  Literally none.  Doesn't that tell you something?

I know right?  just LOOK at how bigoted she is in her statements.  Holy cow!!!

“‘People who menstruate.’ I’m sure there used to be a word for those people. Someone help me out. Wumben? Wimpund? Woomud?” she wrote.

That initial tweet garnered a lot of backlash, but Rowling did not relent and wrote about her views in more detail. “If sex isn’t real, there’s no same-sex attraction. If sex isn’t real, the lived reality of women globally is erased. I know and love trans people, but erasing the concept of sex removes the ability of many to meaningfully discuss their lives. It isn’t hate to speak the truth,” she tweeted. “The idea that women like me, who’ve been empathetic to trans people for decades, feeling kinship because they’re vulnerable in the same way as women—i.e., to male violence—‘hate’ trans people because they think sex is real and has lived consequences—is a nonsense.”

She continued, “I respect every trans person’s right to live any way that feels authentic and comfortable to them. I’d march with you if you were discriminated against on the basis of being trans. At the same time, my life has been shaped by being female. I do not believe it’s hateful to say so.”

Holy cow...No wonder we need to cancel people like this.

Churchill, huh? Well, wonders never cease. That was truly inevitable. The commies are gonna eat everything in sight if we let them. If not for Churchill, England might be speaking German, as the old saying goes.
Stupid to remove Churchill’s name from anything. But again, while you see this as a dangerous and insidious pattern, I see this as a pathetic push by extremists. The sky is not falling. 

Instead of linking to an article saying that right-wingers defended Harvey Weinstein, how about some actual examples of actual right-wingers actually defending Harvey Weinstein? I'm not talking about the Mark Levins or Rush Limbaughs of the world --    
I am. 
You don’t get to limit who is on the right. (Actually I wish you could.) 

The attacks against JK Rowling are pathetic and stupid IMO. 
I also think the attacks against Chris Harrison, based on the comments I heard, are pathetic and stupid. 
I would never argue that these incidents don’t occur and some of them are outrageous. What I am arguing is that they are being used to create a larger pattern that doesn’t exist and the reason they are being used is in order for the current conservative movement to justify some truly bad behavior. 

I also think the attacks against Chris Harrison, based on the comments I heard, are pathetic and stupid. 
I would never argue that these incidents don’t occur and some of them are outrageous. What I am arguing is that they are being used to create a larger pattern that doesn’t exist and the reason they are being used is in order for the current conservative movement to justify some truly bad behavior. 
Uh, we keep finding examples of stupid things happening and you keep acknowledging them and insisting there's no pattern. This is really pointless. And Rush? He was all over Harvey Weinstein and accused Democrats of defending him up until the #metoo movement. https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=rush+limbaugh%2C+harvey+weinstein

Here is

Instead of linking to an article saying that right-wingers defended Harvey Weinstein, how about some actual examples of actual right-wingers actually defending Harvey Weinstein?  I'm not talking about the Mark Levins or Rush Limbaughs of the world -- I mean otherwise-credible people who thought that Harvey Weinstein was a victim somehow.

Good luck.  We're all counting on you.   

Edit: The author of the article you approvingly cited doesn't actually provide any examples at all to support his point about Weinstein.  Literally none.  Doesn't that tell you something?
a really good opinion piece which ties the start of the right’s use of “cancel culture” as a term to the Harvey Weinstein case: 

I would bet tim didnt even read the article. 

Uh, we keep finding examples of stupid things happening and you keep acknowledging them and insisting there's no pattern. This is really pointless. And Rush? He was all over Harvey Weinstein and accused Democrats of defending him up until the #metoo movement. https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=rush+limbaugh%2C+harvey+weinstein
"Cancel culture doesn't exist."

[Is given a ton of examples of cancel culture in action]

"Yes, those are all bad, but they're just anecdotes.  Those 73 examples don't show any sort of pattern."

There is a very large pattern that does exist.  

You're choosing not to see it because you read an article that Republicans are using it to justify bad behavior.  

There are Republicans that engage in bad behavior.  There is also cancel culture that goes after people that made innocent mistakes with no hate in their heart.  The two can co-exist--and they do.

Rowling made comments which were widely condemned as being transphobic and saying that she supports trans rights doesn't negate her bigoted views.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2020/06/09/what-terf-definition-trans-activists-includes-j-k-rowling/5326071002/
Widely condemned by who? Widely condemned means a significant part of the population condemned them. Nobody outside of 10% of the voting public knows what a TERF is, never mind criticized Rowling.

Users who are viewing this thread