What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The “Woke” thread (3 Viewers)

Billionaire entrepreneur Marc Lore wants to build nation’s first woke city

https://www.google.com/amp/s/nypost.com/2021/09/07/ex-walmart-exec-marc-lore-to-build-new-city-called-telosa/amp/

Former Walmart executive and e-commerce billionaire Marc Lore wants to build the world’s first woke city from scratch — somewhere in the US.

Lore last week unveiled plans for his utopia, called Telosa, from the ancient Greek word Telos, meaning “highest purpose.”

“The mission of Telosa is to create a more equitable, sustainable future. That’s our North Star,” Lore said in a promotional video. “We are going to be the most open, the most fair and the most inclusive city in the world.”

Key to the city’s plans is Lore’s economic vision, called “Equitism,” in which the land upon which the city is built will be donated to a community endowment.

Residents, in turn, own their homes on the land and are enriched as home values increase, according to the project’s site, and after a period of “hyper-growth,” residents can buy the land from the community endowment.

..... article is worth a click
I'm rooting for the plan. 

Billionaire entrepreneur Marc Lore wants to build nation’s first woke city

https://www.google.com/amp/s/nypost.com/2021/09/07/ex-walmart-exec-marc-lore-to-build-new-city-called-telosa/amp/

I'm rooting for the plan. 
Saw an interview with this guy where he claimed this utopia would have the best social services in the world at the same tax burden.

:lmao:

Completely delusional.  He'll have so many tax leeches sucking on this place there is no chance that this can be pulled off.  

Tahoe ski resort "Squaw Valley" changing it's name. 

LINK

The leadership of the resort, which will now be known as Palisades Tahoe, says, "The old name was derogatory and offensive."

Tahoe ski resort "Squaw Valley" changing it's name. 

LINK

The leadership of the resort, which will now be known as Palisades Tahoe, says, "The old name was derogatory and offensive."
Huh. What are they going to do about the 1960 Olympic Hockey Team that played at Squaw Valley? Are they going to say they won at Palisades Tahoe? With their flattops?

Eh, unlike some of the other imaginary controversies out there -- like tribal nicknames that actual American Indians don't care about in the slightest -- my understanding is that "squaw" is widely understood to be legitimately vulgar.  I think it's roughly equivalent to referring to women as "gash" or something like that.  No problem with this one.

Eh, unlike some of the other imaginary controversies out there -- like tribal nicknames that actual American Indians don't care about in the slightest -- my understanding is that "squaw" is widely understood to be legitimately vulgar.  I think it's roughly equivalent to referring to women as "gash" or something like that.  No problem with this one.
This. My first ski trip, back when I did things, was to Squaw Valley. I remember asking the group I was with what it was named after and being mildly surprised that - yep - it was just Squaw. Thought for sure they were going to say Jeremiah J Squaw set up a trading post here in 1821 and the rest is history. But no, just squaw  :mellow:  Awesome ski resort though especially on the NV side of Tahoe.

A friend of mine was just mistakenly the target of the "Cancel mob" 

One of his local FB community groups posted a photo of someone stealing some "School board recall" signs off of someones lawn. They had a view of the license plate and someone ran it and it somehow came back as my friend's car. The following posts began naming him by name, listing where he lived and worked, etc. He then became the target of threats and accusations b/c apparently the board recall in his town has become very highly contested. 

Thankfully he was able to find the person who posted the original information and prove his innocence and their mistake. They posted full redaction and apology, but it wasn't until after all the fall out and drama. Turns out they had the license plate info wrong originally. 

One of his local FB community groups posted a photo of someone stealing some "School board recall" signs off of someones lawn. They had a view of the license plate and someone ran it and it somehow came back as my friend's car. The following posts began naming him by name, listing where he lived and worked, etc. He then became the target of threats and accusations b/c apparently the board recall in his town has become very highly contested. 

Thankfully he was able to find the person who posted the original information and prove his innocence and their mistake. They posted full redaction and apology, but it wasn't until after all the fall out and drama. Turns out they had the license plate info wrong originally. 
In fairness, this is one of those dynamics where right-wingers are every bit as guilty as progressives.  It's a serious problem that doesn't have an easy solution, but I wouldn't say it's a problem that's isolated to just one particular tribe.

He should hire a lawyer and sue that person.  Hell, sue FB while your at it for hosting a toxic place where morons mistakingly Target private citizens.  They should all be kicked off the platform at the very least.

In fairness, this is one of those dynamics where right-wingers are every bit as guilty as progressives.  It's a serious problem that doesn't have an easy solution, but I wouldn't say it's a problem that's isolated to just one particular tribe.

Concur.

Will also suggest that perhaps if there is a proportionality factor, those we might consider ideologically "left" have recently edges toward intolerance far more.  The mantra is that if you are not with them you are an enemy, portraying those who are ideologically different as somehow evil or perhaps stupid.

Not the best way to get and keep people in your camp.

IvanKaramazov said:
I wasnt trying to assign blame to either side. Frankly I dont even know which side of the topic the signs that were taken were for.

He is pretty political agnostic, so according to him, he isnt even following the recall. 

Yale student head explodes trying to figure out if he should be racially insensitive to a Native American who was culturally appropriating or let it slide.  Like all smart Yale students he lets the Native American slide while going after the Federalist Society, thus confirming his wokeness.
He’s playing woke chess

UCLA professor sues university after facing backlash after he refused to grade Black students more leniently.

Matthew Allen

October 17, 2021, 11:25 am

Professor Gordon Klein’s response to an email asking him to grade his students differently who may be undergoing ‘racial trauma’ was met with calls for his termination

Gordon Klein, a long-time professor at the University of California at Los Angeles (UCLA), has sued the college in response to a suspension he faced after he refused to grade Black students more leniently.

Klein detailed his side of the story in a blog post published in late September.

Klein filed suit against UCLA and Antonio Bernardo, dean of UCLA’s Anderson School of Management where he teaches, on Sept. 27, according to Insider. Klein is suing for defamation, labor law violations, breach of contract, violation of privacy and interference with his consulting business.

Klein stated that last year he received a letter on June 2 from a “non-Black student” requesting that he use better “leniency” when it came to grading assignments from Black classmates.

According to the letter, the student rationalized their plea because they felt the unjust killings of Black Americans by law enforcement and other whites, along with the effect the COVID-19 pandemic was having on the Black community, may be causing them stress that might affect their classwork.

Breonna Taylor and George Floyd, the life-threatening actions of Amy Cooper and the violent conduct of the [University of California Police Department] have led to fear and anxiety which is further compounded by the disproportionate effect of COVID-19 on the Black community,” the student wrote. “As we approach finals week, we recognize that these conditions place Black students at an unfair academic disadvantage due to traumatic circumstances out of their control.”

Klein found the student’s letter “patronizing and offensive” and replied back to the student: “Are there any students that may be of mixed parentage, such as half black half-Asian? What do you suggest I do with respect to them? A full concession or just half?”

Following Klein’s reply, a petition to fire the professor was sent out for being “woefully racist” in his response. The petition garnered 20,000 signatures within two days. By June, the school suspended him. Klein, who has been teaching at UCLA for 40 years, pointed out in his blog post that the school even tweeted about him amid the suspension.

“Respect and equality for all are core principles at UCLA Anderson. It is deeply disturbing to learn of this email, which we are investigating,” the tweet, posted June 3, 2020, said. “We apologize to the students who received it and to all those who have been as upset and offended by it as we are ourselves.”

Death threats were also sent to Klein after his suspension including one that expressed they wished he could have been gassed like Jews were during the Holocaust.

Klein wrote that UCLA suspended him as a “well-timed publicity stunt” in an effort to “distract attention away from the school’s reputation as an inhospitable place for persons of color.”

“The problem was Anderson’s reputation,” Klein wrote. “It hadn’t granted an African-American professor tenure in decades. It had but a handful of tenured Latino professors. Black students made up about 2% of the student body.”

Klein also said that the school’s U.S. News and World Report and Bloomberg Businessweek ratings were in decline, and that male students outnumbered female students two to one, to the point that some students deemed it the MANderson School of MANagement.

Although the suspension ultimately only lasted three weeks, Klein contends that the incident cost him $500,000 in lost income after being dropped by consulting firms amid his suspension.

I think he is exaggerating his financial loss, and we only have a partial story here.  But, more power to him.  Let's see how this plays out (it will ultimately end in a confidential settlement).

I think he is exaggerating his financial loss, and we only have a partial story here.  But, more power to him.  Let's see how this plays out (it will ultimately end in a confidential settlement).
FWIW I agree with you here.  It's certainly possible that his side of the story is 100% true and accurate, but this is the kind of situation where there's often a lot more going on that one party -- specifically the university -- can't discuss in public.  It's best to reserve judgement when it looks like somebody is terminated for a crazy reason.

Oberlin Madness

I read this letter and other than thinking the kid needed some parental guidance (from someone other than a helicopter mom and whatever-you-want dad) and probably a few good ### kickings while growing up ...I wasn't surprised at all by the contents.

We are raising a generation of people that can't fight (I don't mean with fists) their way out of a paper bag.

Oberlin Madness

I read this letter and other than thinking the kid needed some parental guidance (from someone other than a helicopter mom and whatever-you-want dad) and probably a few good ### kickings while growing up ...I wasn't surprised at all by the contents.

We are raising a generation of people that can't fight (I don't mean with fists) their way out of a paper bag.
That article is satire, right?

Truth, Justice and........a better tomorrow?

If that's not bad enough. Superman Jr is going to be bisexual.  Apparently tight spandex superhero suits arent just arent enough. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Oberlin Madness

I love how the author just assumes that they were all men...isnt that, like a no-no?

I saw the Oberlin letter too.  It's funny, but dunking on undergraduates is punching down.  I'd much rather talk about the feckless administrators at MIT and Yale who never outgrew this phase.

Oberlin college is the most woke place on Earth.  If you really want to see something disgusting do some research on the Gibson bakery lawsuit that is working it's way through the appeals process.
I read about the bakery case a while ago, another head shaker.  These people are our future leaders 🤣 .... 😬😢

Oberlin college is the most woke place on Earth.  If you really want to see something disgusting do some research on the Gibson bakery lawsuit that is working it's way through the appeals process.

I would put Evergreen and the evils they parade up against Oberlin.

I just read the wiki page on this legal dispute. Completely bonkers. 

I just read the wiki page on this legal dispute. Completely bonkers. 
That episode is way more interesting because it's the adults who were behaving insanely badly.  Students occasionally get worked up over stuff that they shouldn't get worked up over.  If you're a campus leader, your job is walk your students back to reality (not difficult TBH), not join them and expose your college to massive legal liability.

:goodposting:

the left perpetrates cancel culture a lot more right now because internet/social media users still tend to skew younger and more progressive (plus any social justice crazieness gets a ton of coverage these days), but you're 100% correct that the right will start getting their cancelling on just as soon as they can, too. That's why anyone with a brain ought to be against this mob justice BS, because eventually it's gonna come for you too, not just the people you don't like.

KarmaPolice said:

Correct. It is used with some frequency of late, typically in tandem with other overused words such as racism and white privilege. 

An evil thought is still an evil thought even if masked by a friendly moniker.

This has been coming plain as day since the real thrust started about ten years ago. They weren't stopping with Confederate General statues, they were coming after everyone who was a part of the system. One can make good faith arguments about why we shouldn't revere slaveholders, but one cannot -- and could not -- have made good faith arguments that this slippery slope wasn't exactly where we were going to land. Washington and Jefferson and those who were in Virginia and the South were never escaping the relentless extension of analogical logic. They couldn't possibly. 

Correct. It is used with some frequency of late, typically in tandem with other overused words such as racism and white privilege. 

An evil thought is still an evil thought even if masked by a friendly moniker.
What's a specific example of the thoughts that these colleges are promoting that you would label as evil? 

Users who are viewing this thread