What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The “Woke” thread (2 Viewers)

Figured as much.   I had a different impression of him, and then I took the time to listen to him speak and express his ideas and I couldn't disagree with you more.   

That's too bad.  I thought you were against racism?

https://www.wsj.com/articles/is-the-cure-for-racism-really-more-racism-11602535839

The most frequently cited critical race theorist, Ibram X. Kendi, makes this explicit. As he puts it, “The only remedy to racist discrimination is antiracist discrimination. The only remedy to past discrimination is present discrimination. The only remedy to present discrimination is future discrimination.”

Last edited by a moderator:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/is-the-cure-for-racism-really-more-racism-11602535839

The most frequently cited critical race theorist, Ibram X. Kendi, makes this explicit. As he puts it, “The only remedy to racist discrimination is antiracist discrimination. The only remedy to past discrimination is present discrimination. The only remedy to present discrimination is future discrimination.”
Just curious - have you actually listened to him or read his stuff, or are you just forming your opinion based on other's opinion articles like this?  

Just curious - have you actually listened to him or read his stuff, or are you just forming your opinion based on other's opinion articles like this?  

I have not heard him directly, no.  Just actual quotes of his and breakdowns of his position.

Are you implying that he DIDN'T say what I quoted above?

I have not heard him directly, no.  Just actual quotes of his and breakdowns of his position.

Are you implying that he DIDN'T say what I quoted above?
I mean, you have to understand that it's also probably from a position of people that are against him, correct?   

I was just curious - like I said, I had a different idea of him in my mind than what was reality.    A lot of negative ideas about him I have seen attributed to him and his books - ie white people should feel guilty, etc.   That part I have never heard him talk about.  

No, I am not saying that - as I understand it, it seems to be on the lines of some of his ideas, but I haven't come across that myself.   Those are ideas that have been talked about in the other threads too.  

See when kendi says future discrimination what he really means is something less offensive, but he just used the wrong word. And of course now everybody criticizing him for saying that isnt giving him the benefit of the doubt. I mean they probably think defund means defund. Pfffft.  

Nice sarcastic post, but no, I'm pretty sure he means discrimination.   It goes along with this definition of racism, and the key word in the quote above - "remedy".  

Is that really a radical statement? The Democrats just elected a president who said he pick his VP running mate based on their sex and race (only women of color considered) and was cheered for it.  Policies are based on making uneven playing fields to even out results.  The difference is most Democrats don't come out and say it.  They wrap it up with academia arguments in the name of social justice that does exactly this.  

Our first first women’s studies speaker in college was Wanda Mankiller. She was indigenous, and she sure liked women. And not men. :(

white people should have to use smaller font.   exclamation marks should be only utilized by minorities.  

14?

Middlesbrough defender Marc Bola has been charged with misconduct by the FA over a nine-year-old social media post made when he was 14.

14?

Middlesbrough defender Marc Bola has been charged with misconduct by the FA over a nine-year-old social media post made when he was 14.
My favorite new development in media circles is how they never tell you exactly what the guy said that's supposedly so offensive that we need to relitigate it nine years later.  I've personally decided that I'm going to assume that any such statement is either harmless, being misinterpreted, or is being taken out context in the absence of any evidence to the contrary.  The burden of proof should be on the inquisitors.

You're like the kid from 6th Sense, but instead you see Marxists and Communists everywhere.  

And your like the proverbial ostrich with it's head in the sand.  :shrug:

You figure if you just deny it then it isn't there, even though its right in front of your face.  But, y'know, you're head is in the sand so....

And your like the proverbial ostrich with it's head in the sand.  :shrug:

You figure if you just deny it then it isn't there, even though its right in front of your face.  But, y'know, you're head is in the sand so....
go looking for one thing, and you see it everywhere.   

I'm going to pick on you a bit and play the cancel culture absolutist side.

Why are you glad, because you wanted to be able to call people ###, ###### and ##### without repercussion?
Pretty much, those were the glory years!!  

;)  

On the serious note, one thing people on the left need to be more vocal about is this ####.  I fully get wanting to curb some of the words and thinking that we all agree need to go.   But we have to have some kind of common sense and at least some reasonable cut off on # of years ago, age of the person, context, etc, etc..     We also have to have some form of "forgive and move on" instead of just shutting them down.  

I am not pretending to have all the answers and lines, but can we all at least admit that there is a difference between some 14year old kids tweet from 10+ years ago vs. a grown adult saying racial stuff 10 days ago?  

I wasn’t sure how you were going to reply but I like this, made me chuckle
It was the 80s - we see it reflected in the movies too.   I will fully admit to using the N word in my youth, and the F word (the 3 letter version) was used all the time.    

Ignoring problems doesn't mean they go away or aren't real.  You should know that.
Not ignoring, we are just never going to agree on the prevalence in our country, especially when you basically use that descriptor for everybody on one side of the political spectrum.  

It was the 80s - we see it reflected in the movies too.   I will fully admit to using the N word in my youth, and the F word (the 3 letter version) was used all the time.    
Yep.  One thing though, I think there is a big difference using those words with your friends vs using them in malice against other people.  Not saying one is "right", but let's just say I have a friend that recently told a friend he was being a ##### (not sure if filter will block that but female dog).  Let's say he used the word for a female body part that starts with a p and ends with a y instead.  I mean is that so bad.  Have we lost all ability to #### around with each other.

Another story, I have a friend that saw a grown man driving a lime green VW bug and he thought "thats gay".  Is this a thought crime?  Should one expect the skies to open up and the hand of The Squad to come down and strike you.

I think there are a lot of a parallels between cancel culture and community driving standards with a correlation to politics.

I live in a community.  The speed limit is 25mph and there are a number of 4 way stops.

There are people that drive 50 and treat stop signs like yields, the Pizza Hut delivery guy a good example.  That's too damn fast, sure you may have a reason to drive that fast because you want to deliver more pizzas but its just too much and too likely to harm people.  This to me is akin to people that intentionally use words in anger to hurt other people.  These same people not only don't want to wear masks for covid but might hock a covid loogey in your face if you ask them to keep a distance.  They don't care.  These people would be more likely to be "far right"

There are people that drive under 40, generally understand that you need to be careful around bends/corners, but also drive above the speed limit and think making a complete 2 second stop is ridiculous.  I'll call these people normal.  They would be people that don't call people fat to their face, but when they are driving by a really large person that is in the middle of the road and in the way might mumble to themselves "get out of the way fatty".  They are not generally judgmental about other peoples use of words unless, but of course there are limits.  Although they speed in the neighborhood they have the good sense to understand that 50+ is harmful.  They don't think mask wearing is much good but if you require me to wear one ok, and if you're in a big crowd it actually feels like a good idea.  Lean conservative.

There are people that drive between 25-32.  They are fairly normal.  Have a lower threshold for what's acceptable and are a bit judgy of the group above but generally don't say anything.  They are proud mask wearers in any communal situation and a bit judgy of those that don't.  They wear garbage cloth masks that don't do much good, but they can say they are doing the right thing.  They think cancel culture has gotten a bit crazy, understand they have "speed" in the past and still do a little today, but won't come out against cancel culture.  Lean left.

Then there are the people that also drive between 25-32.  But to them anybody driving above 32 is a danger to society.  They take pictures of cars gently rolling a stop sign and post them on the community message board with a polite but stern warning to the offenders.  From a traffic perspective they are most often women.  This group wears their crappy cloth masks with aplomb, while walking the dog outside.  Strong left.

People that drive 25 at all times.  Antifa. 

Illiberal Universities

Just another illustration of woke campus ideology...until I read about this A+ effort to highlight some of the absurdity of it all 🤣 

So, in 2017, I co-published an intentionally garbled peer-reviewed paper that took aim at the new orthodoxy. Its title: “The Conceptual Penis as a Social Construct.” This example of pseudo-scholarship, which was published in Cogent Social Sciences, argued that penises were products of the human mind and responsible for climate change. Immediately thereafter, I revealed the article as a hoax designed to shed light on the flaws of the peer-review and academic publishing systems.

Users who are viewing this thread