What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The 100 Greatest “New Wave” songs 1. Everybody Wants to Rule the World-Tears for Fears (2 Viewers)

Oh Tim. We really should be gentle with you at this time, but god do I hate that song :)

Also, I mourned the loss of a 95 year old much beloved uncle 12 hours before that helicopter crash. It was the distraction of a music draft here that helped me not be so blue. This thread maybe can do that some for you. Welcome back.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome back, Tim. Hope all is well with you and your family.

As for the song, I still like to go with this interpretation:

The repeated lyrical refrain of "I think I'm turning Japanese" was widely believed by Americans to describe an orgasm induced by masturbating,[7]but actually was intended to describe teen angstor alienation after a romantic breakup.
I really think so!

73. “Turning Japanese” The Vapors (1980, from New Clear Days

https://youtu.be/IWWwM2wwMww

People who read my one hit wonder countdown know about my undying love for this band (who incidentally resurfaced last year after nearly 4 decades!) That first album is chalk full of pop classics like “News at Ten”, “Spring Collection”, and “Waiting for the Weekend”. But of course they are almost entirely remembered only for this radio hit which is pretty awesome all by itself. 
Welcome back, tim.

Great song pick. Enough said. 

The repeated lyrical refrain of "I think I'm turning Japanese" was widely believed by Americans to describe an orgasm induced by masturbating,[7]but actually was intended to describe teen angstor alienation after a romantic breakup.
I thought it was more due to the old “warning” that you’d go blind if you masterbated too much - and the narrator’s eyes were slowly becoming permanently closed - thus appearing Asian.

I thought it was more due to the old “warning” that you’d go blind if you masterbated too much - and the narrator’s eyes were slowly becoming permanently closed - these appearing Asian.
Sounds like it.

I've got your picture, I've got your picture
I'd like a million of you, all 'round my cell
I want a doctor to take your picture
So I can look at you from inside as well

Sounds like it.

I've got your picture, I've got your picture
I'd like a million of you, all 'round my cell
I want a doctor to take your picture
So I can look at you from inside as well
I always thought it was masturbation, too, but I'd only been told that. These lyrics are a little more abstract

No sex no drugs no wine no women no fun
No sin no you no wonder it's gone
Everyone around me is a total stranger
Everyone avoids me like a cyclone ranger

Everyone.

Welcome back Tim. Not a fan of the song, but I like the band’s obscurity. Someone raised a bunch of money to get this band to play in NYC last year iirc.

72. “Sweet Dreams (Are Made of This)” Eurythmics (1983, from Sweet Dreams (Are Made of This)

https://youtu.be/qeMFqkcPYcg

It was one of the great pop musical partnerships of the 1980s, brief as it was: an incredibly talented, brilliant writer and producer, combined with one of the most distinctive, soulful voices ever heard on the radio. This song is only one of the outstanding results. I was forced to ding it in my rankings a little only because of the repetition; it seems that Stewart, having discovered pop music gold, could think of absolutely nothing to add to it. 

72. “Sweet Dreams (Are Made of This)” Eurythmics (1983, from Sweet Dreams (Are Made of This)

It was one of the great pop musical partnerships of the 1980s, brief as it was: an incredibly talented, brilliant writer and producer, combined with one of the most distinctive, soulful voices ever heard on the radio. This song is only one of the outstanding results. I was forced to ding it in my rankings a little only because of the repetition; it seems that Stewart, having discovered pop music gold, could think of absolutely nothing to add to it. 
welcome back, Tim ... hope all is well with you and yours ✌

now, may i rip?

"Sweet Dreams" is a solid top 5 of the genre for me ... along with "I Ran" or "Wishing" by Flock of 'Gulls, it challenges for top spot, depending on my mood.  

"Turning Japanese" is so damn emblematic of the era, as well ... such a kick ### frolic - i would have it top 20.

welcome back, Tim ... hope all is well with you and yours ✌

now, may i rip?

"Sweet Dreams" is a solid top 5 of the genre for me ... along with "I Ran" or "Wishing" by Flock of 'Gulls, it challenges for top spot, depending on my mood.  

"Turning Japanese" is so damn emblematic of the era, as well ... such a kick ### frolic - i would have it top 20.
Thanks for the kind words (that goes for everyone.) 

I understand the criticism- but my answer is the same as with any of these lists: you need to wait until all the songs have been revealed. I don’t disagree with anything you wrote, except that the competition is so stiff: my top 20 has 200 songs in it. 

Something about that Sweet Dreams song always irked me.  Not sure if it was the stupid video or Annie's wailing in the song, but I just don't care for it.  I do love "Love is a Stranger" though. 

Thanks for the kind words (that goes for everyone.) 

I understand the criticism- but my answer is the same as with any of these lists: you need to wait until all the songs have been revealed. I don’t disagree with anything you wrote, except that the competition is so stiff: my top 20 has 200 songs in it. 
I agree it's a tough task but I also agree with @otb_lifer that Sweet Dreams would be at least a Top 10 on my list.

Next you're going to tell me that Come On Eileen is about cheering on a schoolmate in sports. 

Something about that Sweet Dreams song always irked me.  Not sure if it was the stupid video or Annie's wailing in the song, but I just don't care for it.  I do love "Love is a Stranger" though. 
I prefer Love is a Stranger as well.  Sweet Dreams is too slow.  It makes it a boring and tedious song.  I like that most New Wave songs are fast.  

I prefer Love is a Stranger as well.  Sweet Dreams is too slow.  It makes it a boring and tedious song.  I like that most New Wave songs are fast.  
don't know any more than 2 songs out their catalog, and "Love is a Stranger" ain't one of 'em ... again, not an act i sought out to listen to, but an act who crafted a ubiquitous touchstone of what i consider the genre to most represent.  

don't know any more than 2 songs out their catalog, and "Love is a Stranger" ain't one of 'em ... again, not an act i sought out to listen to, but an act who crafted a ubiquitous touchstone of what i consider the genre to most represent.  
Missionary Man is dope.

Here Comes the Rain Again is my favorite Eurythmics song by a wide margin, but Sweet Dreams is a solid tune. Fun fact: it was the song that finally knocked Every Breath You Take outta the 1 spot on the pop charts back in ‘83 (after eight weeks). 
Love this song. More than Sweet Dreams.

So baby talk to me doowop doowop doowop
Like lovers do shoowop shoowop shoowop

i, too, thought this would be higher. therious thynth, stunning & startling appearance of the lead, one of the true "we're really onto sumn here" Songs of the New Wave

71. “Nowhere Girl” B-Movie (1980, from Remembrance Day)

https://youtu.be/aQfC7Ow5GHo

This song has an interesting history: it was recorded in 1980 on an album nobody heard of, then released as a single 2 years later, then it began getting radio play on KROQ in 1985 at which point it became a huge underground hit and pretty much a New Wave staple for the rest of the decade. And why not? It’s excellent stuff. 

This song has an interesting history: it was recorded in 1980 on an album nobody heard of, then released as a single 2 years later, then it began getting radio play on KROQ in 1985 at which point it became a huge underground hit and pretty much a New Wave staple for the rest of the decade. And why not? It’s excellent stuff. 
KROQ classic!  

interesting drop in ... like the pick very much - it wasn't as hot here on the right coast ... solid.

Here Comes the Rain Again is my favorite Eurythmics song by a wide margin, but Sweet Dreams is a solid tune. Fun fact: it was the song that finally knocked Every Breath You Take outta the 1 spot on the pop charts back in ‘83 (after eight weeks). 
Here Comes the Rain Again is a much better song in my opinion as well.  I’m a bigger fan of Manson’s version.   He made the vocals more interesting even though Lennox has a much, much better voice.   I love her voice more than the songs.   

70. “Modern Love” David Bowie (1983, from Let’s Dance

https://youtu.be/HivQqTtiHVw

For about the 5th or 6th time in his amazing career, David Bowie recreated himself in 1983, this time to take advantage of the New Wave craze. It could be argued that most  of Bowie’s work for years had been New Wave, and especially much of the material on the 3 post-Ziggy albums of the late 70s in which he collaborated with Brian Eno. But on Let’s Dance he was finally able to match his own output with what the public was enjoying at the time, and so he scored the biggest hits of his career with the title song, the cover of Iggy Pop’s “China Girl”, and “Modern Love.” Of these songs the last was the best, and the most enduring IMO. 

timschochet said:

never heard it til now

never heard it til now
Would make my Top 20.     To me, it's one of KROQ's most iconic songs.  Had a strange feeling when Tim posted it, that we might get a few responses like this.

I was in Newport Beach last Wed-Sat.  On the way back from the UCI In N out,  with my younger son, we flipped KROQ on.  Had not heard it since I moved away 10 years ago.  First song was a newer, techo-type song that didn't feel like old KROQ at all.  Then they played the Ramones, and then a 20-minute medley of early 80's new wave songs.  All was good with life at that moment.

timschochet said:

Classic song. My favorite is Love is a Stranger

timschochet said:

Another classic. 

Would make my Top 20.     To me, it's one of KROQ's most iconic songs.  Had a strange feeling when Tim posted it, that we might get a few responses like this.

I was in Newport Beach last Wed-Sat.  On the way back from the UCI In N out,  with my younger son, we flipped KROQ on.  Had not heard it since I moved away 10 years ago.  First song was a newer, techo-type song that didn't feel like old KROQ at all.  Then they played the Ramones, and then a 20-minute medley of early 80's new wave songs.  All was good with life at that moment.
Gee thanks for the heads-up.   :sadbanana:

timschochet said:

One of the greatest singing voices of all time.

Along with some of the other Eurythmics songs mentioned, I really like Who's That Girl, I Need A Man, and Would I Lie To You (though I've probably heard that one too much already).

It could be argued that most  of Bowie’s work for years had been New Wave, and especially much of the material on the 3 post-Ziggy albums of the late 70s in which he collaborated with Brian Eno.
I always kind of thought of late '70s Bowie (one song in particular) as more or less pointing the way directly to New Wave. Kind of like how Eddie Van Halen -- from within the confines of his bandmates' predeliction for hard electric blues -- was pointing directly to speed metal during the same time period.

Modern Love is my least favorite of the three big hits from Let's Dance (I am a big fan of both China Girl and the title track), but still a good song. Never really thought of it or Bowie as new wave, but doesn't bother me.  Any excuse to talk about good tunes is fine by me. :yes:  

I am hard pressed to make comments not knowing what else is on the list. As already mentioned, Modern Love is not one of the faves of most ardent Bowie fans. Heroes, Ashes To Ashes, Fashion, or even DJ would be more New Wavy than Modern Love. 

As far as other artists go, bands like Squeeze, Duran Duran, The Cure, ABC, INXS, Billy Idol, The Fixx, and many others all could have multiple songs on the list. So maybe I should just wait to the end to comment?!?

I am hard pressed to make comments not knowing what else is on the list. As already mentioned, Modern Love is not one of the faves of most ardent Bowie fans. Heroes, Ashes To Ashes, Fashion, or even DJ would be more New Wavy than Modern Love. 

As far as other artists go, bands like Squeeze, Duran Duran, The Cure, ABC, INXS, Billy Idol, The Fixx, and many others all could have multiple songs on the list. So maybe I should just wait to the end to comment?!?
Any fan of drummer Omar Hakim LOVES Modern Love. That groove is fat and tight. And bounces like nobody's business. 

70. “Modern Love” David Bowie (1983, from Let’s Dance

https://youtu.be/HivQqTtiHVw

For about the 5th or 6th time in his amazing career, David Bowie recreated himself in 1983, this time to take advantage of the New Wave craze. It could be argued that most  of Bowie’s work for years had been New Wave, and especially much of the material on the 3 post-Ziggy albums of the late 70s in which he collaborated with Brian Eno. But on Let’s Dance he was finally able to match his own output with what the public was enjoying at the time, and so he scored the biggest hits of his career with the title song, the cover of Iggy Pop’s “China Girl”, and “Modern Love.” Of these songs the last was the best, and the most enduring IMO. 
EVERYBODY IN DA POOL! WHEEEEE!

ok, we got that out the way. 

i'll agree with Timbo here, this is the best off the album. i find the title track to be a tad plodding, and "China Girl", for Bowie being on my personal Rushmore, is as throwaway a tune to me as any in his catalog ... what can i say, it's an insta hand wave/skip, i never even remotely warmed to it.  

"Modern Love" is as bouncy and vibrant as he ever allowed himself to be ... the vid is the loosest he ever appeared (IN before someone references the duet w/Jagger vid/song that shall not be named)  :X

this was yuuuuuuuuge commercial success for the lovable chameleon, #### it, he deserved every last inch of it ... not one of my favorite albums of his, but ... if we're going here, via Timmah's compass, this is a dynamite choice.  

agreed with all of this, and i'll toss "Boys (Keep Swinging" into that hopper.  the "SNL" performance was sublime. 

again, if we're going down this route, "Ashes to Ashes" should be sky high up in here - as 'New Wavy' as it was, it was also such an essential Bowie classic. mind bottling brilliance ... the vid remains one of the most surreal artifacts the 80s ever churned out - good lawd, it's such a findmuck.  

ps- a genre defiant/dabbling chap, that he was ... when i launch my top 1,047 Goth countdown, expect to see "Warszawa" (Low) to chart easily in the toppest of tiers ... he birfed the genre, proper.     

69. “Rio” Duran Duran (1982, from Rio

https://youtu.be/nTizYn3-QN0

Earlier when I posted about “Girls on Film”, I commented that the bass line was pretty slick, and somebody pointed out that ALL of John Taylor’s bass lines were great, and that he really should be regarded as one of the great bassists in rock history. I was honestly unaware of this fact; one doesn’t exactly think of New Wave as a genre that produces exceptional musicians (though of course I was aware of another bassist from this genre who is rightfully regarded as legendary- we’ll get to her later). But it’s true. And it might never be more true than on “Rio”: when he shines, he really shows us all he can. 

70. “Modern Love” David Bowie (1983, from Let’s Dance)

69. “Rio” Duran Duran (1982, from Rio)
Love these picks. Can't say enough about either song. I absolutely get down to "Modern Love" and I'm not even the biggest Bowie fan.

But, uh, please don't tell me the Go-Go's are new wave with Wiedlen. Really?

eta* Wiedlin played guitar *sing it like Ziggy

But, uh, please don't tell me the Go-Go's are new wave with Wiedlen. Really?

eta* Wiedlin played guitar *sing it like Ziggy
are we still allowed to at least say how hot someone is?

'cuz Wiedlin rocked ... hot as hell, one of my top crushes of that era (that body was straight fire).

oh, hai, Rock 🤓

I love Bowie and I like Modern Love - but if this was my list (and this isn't meant to criticize Tim) I would limit it to strictly New Wave artists just to keep some integrity. Bowie's music in the 80s could be considered New Wave I suppose but the term "New Wave" kind of implies "new", which Bowie decidedly was not by then.

I'm just now viewing this as a "greatest hits of the MTV era" type list and still enjoying the thread. Wonder where Dancing in the Dark will land - Courtney Cox was a cutie in that video.

Also I'm man enough to admit that Duran Duran was a great band and Rio (and a few others) would rank much higher for me.

I like Rio and Modern Love.  Both excellent tunes; emblematic of the 80s without having been driven into the ground from being overplayed. 

I was honestly unaware of this fact; one doesn’t exactly think of New Wave as a genre that produces exceptional musicians. 
The instrumental/vocal-virtuosity barriers to punk, post-punk, and new wave were considerably lower than they were for other contemporary genres. Really, you could jump in the deep end with a cool beat, or a pair of fast chords, or a programmable 'sound machine' of some kind. You didn't have to know how to really sing -- how to snarl or how to present a front mattered much more.

That said, as time went on, more and more musicians -- including many highly skilled ones like John Taylor -- were attracted to the general ethic, unspoiled ground, and general artistic freedom of these new genres. By the mid-80s, many exceptional musicians were either spawned in New Wave or else had played in the New Wave sandbox for a spell.

A lot of bassists, especially. You've tapped Tony Levin already, though he is more The Man of a Thousand Genres than a New Wave poster boy. And you've just chosen John Taylor (via Duran2), who is unquestionably placed upon the Mount Olympus of New Wave instrumentalists.

You've hinted at a third, female player ... many are assuming one name, but as Yoda once said "... there is another". And there's yet another male bassist out there who might have been the best ever to play on a New Wave record. Stay tuned.

Users who are viewing this thread