What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The 100 Greatest Songs of 1972. #1. All The Young Dudes (1 Viewer)

3. Deep Purple “Smoke On the Water” (from Machine Head

https://youtu.be/zUwEIt9ez7M

Is this the greatest guitar riff in rock history? The most famous? It can make an argument for either. But I sometimes feel like the riff is focused on so much that the rest of the song- melody, lyrics, performance- gets overlooked. Even beyond the riff, this is a truly great piece of art. 
No question about its influence, but I personally couldn't put this ahead of "Highway Star" or "Space Truckin"", at a minimum.

3. Deep Purple “Smoke On the Water” (from Machine Head

https://youtu.be/zUwEIt9ez7M

Is this the greatest guitar riff in rock history? The most famous? It can make an argument for either. But I sometimes feel like the riff is focused on so much that the rest of the song- melody, lyrics, performance- gets overlooked. Even beyond the riff, this is a truly great piece of art. 
This and I’m your captain by Grand Funk are the 2 songs I remember the 4 year old me knowing all the words to and singing to my dad’s friends, so this song has a place in my heart. The whole album kicks ###. Looking at all the albums turning 50, this is my#1

5. Steely Dan “Reelin’ In The Years” (from Can’t Buy A Thrill

https://youtu.be/4dPRGfGmCmU

The name of the guitarist is Eliot Randall. He was a sessions guy, not part of the band, and he is responsible for one of the greatest riffs ever in rock history. Jimmy Page says it’s his favorite ever; he ranks it “a 12 out of 10”. 
Of course the rest of the song is great too. But have you guys watched the live version from 1972? I didn’t link it because it has a different guitarist but it’s available on YouTube. My impression watching it is…man these guys are ugly ####ers. Gotta be one of the ugliest major bands ever. 
Well yeah, Becker and Fagen didn’t even want to have a band. They wanted to be songwriters for hire. But they didn’t entice many to record their songs, probably because they were best suited for Fagen’s unusual voice, and many of them had vexing lyrics. So they were convinced to assemble a “band” and record their songs themselves. And they didn’t want to tour because they had bad memories of it when they were in the backing band for Jay and the Americans, so they gave no thoughts to how the band should look onstage. And they stopped touring altogether once they could afford to.

2. Stevie Wonder “Superstition” (from Talking Book

https://youtu.be/0CFuCYNx-1g

The collaboration between Stevie Wonder and Jeff Beck was pretty historic in 1972. It has some parallels with the collaboration a decade later between Michael Jackson and Eddie Van Halen on another huge pop song- but this one came first. 

This song could just as easily be #1 for the year (or perhaps for the decade.) It’s that terrific. 

From wikipedia:

"Beck came up with the opening drum beat. Wonder told Beck to keep playing while he improvised over the top of it. He improvised most of the song, including the riff, on the spot....The funky clavinet riff played on a Hohner Clavinet model C, the Moog synthesizer bass and the vocals were also performed by Wonder. In addition, the song features trumpet and tenor saxophone, played respectively by Steve Madaio and Trevor Lawrence."

Jeff Beck laying down an awesome funk drum track, always makes me happy/sad as a drummer. The horn tracks are epic.

My favorite Stevie track by far.

Last edited by a moderator:

The collaboration between Stevie Wonder and Jeff Beck was pretty historic in 1972. It has some parallels with the collaboration a decade later between Michael Jackson and Eddie Van Halen on another huge pop song- but this one came first. 

This song could just as easily be #1 for the year (or perhaps for the decade.) It’s that terrific. 
Great tune then, great tune now. 

You could have put every song on this album on the list.

Oh boy, what's number one? 

I think you missed two very influential records so that you could peddle soft rock to a bunch of people that hate it. Good work. 

From wikipedia:

"Beck came up with the opening drum beat. Wonder told Beck to keep playing while he improvised over the top of it. He improvised most of the song, including the riff, on the spot....The funky clavinet riff played on a Hohner Clavinet model C, the Moog synthesizer bass and the vocals were also performed by Wonder. In addition, the song features trumpet and tenor saxophone, played respectively by Steve Madaio and Trevor Lawrence."

Jeff Beck laying down an awesome funk drum track, always makes me happy/sad as a drummer. The horn tracks are epic.

My favorite Stevie track by far.
Stevie was going to give the song to Beck until his management stepped in and said, oh HELL no.

1. Mott The Hoople “All The Young Dudes” (from All The Young Dudes

https://youtu.be/yNHdPPJGowY

There can only be one #1 and this is it. The band was going to break up before David Bowie handed them this song (as noted earlier, he gave them “Suffragette City” first and they rejected it.) 

Ian Hunter sings this like he was born to do so. His adlbbing at the end is part of what makes it so great: 

Hey you there! I want you! I want you in the front! 

1. Mott The Hoople “All The Young Dudes” (from All The Young Dudes

https://youtu.be/yNHdPPJGowY

There can only be one #1 and this is it. The band was going to break up before David Bowie handed them this song (as noted earlier, he gave them “Suffragette City” first and they rejected it.) 

Ian Hunter sings this like he was born to do so. His adlbbing at the end is part of what makes it so great: 

Hey you there! I want you! I want you in the front! 

HELL YES! 

my choice, as well - anthemic & forlorn ... harbinger of punk, nod to the kids & their endless ennui. 

the live version is nothing short of best live recording i ever heard ... first rock band to headline Broadway - May of 1974, at the Uris Theater ... rock n' roll vagabond Ian Hunter got his hard earned/much deserved  minute, and absolutely crushed it! 

LIVE DUDES

💘

Jimmy Cliff's The Harder They Come... came out in 1972. I can't believe none of those songs made the list, but it's a personal list, as I'm finding out as I go through my punk countdown. 

Interesting choices. Well done, tim, despite my musings a bit ago. Peace. 

Jimmy Cliff's The Harder They Come... came out in 1972. I can't believe none of those songs made the list, but it's a personal list, as I'm finding out as I go through my punk countdown. 
Agree 100%, Rock. I’ve stated my love for this album many times. It definitely would have been part of my list, but not Tim’s taste and I respect that.

Good work as usual, Tim.

Agree 100%, Rock. I’ve stated my love for this album many times. It definitely would have been part of my list, but not Tim’s taste and I respect that.

Good work as usual, Tim.
Thanks. 
I love the Jimmy Cliff album too (it’s actually a soundtrack,) If this were an albums list it would have been pretty high up there. But this is a songs list. My favorite on that record is “Sitting In Limbo”, but it’s too obscure to make the list. 

83. America “Ventura Highway” (from Homecoming

https://youtu.be/0IvatagnV_M

Just more of that relaxing soft rock that I love so much. And yes I have listened to this with the car roof open while driving down Ventura Boulevard (it’s not technically a highway.) 
@Pip's Invitation @Bracie Smathers

was there a follow up second 100 thread for 1972

I can’t believe I’m suggesting a TimList is ever lacking in yacht rock, but heard a ballad off this album last night for the first time in ions

shocked not shocked it isn’t in his Top 100

(I realize the biggest hit off the eponymous debut was released as a 1971 single…the one I’m thinking of spent ten weeks on the charts & was on five different subsequent compilation or live albums - roughly on par with the Ventura Highway legacy)

@Pip's Invitation @Bracie Smathers

was there a follow up second 100 thread for 1972

I can’t believe I’m suggesting a TimList is ever lacking in yacht rock, but heard a ballad off this album last night for the first time in ions

shocked not shocked it isn’t in his Top 100

(I realize the biggest hit off the eponymous debut was released as a 1971 single…the one I’m thinking of spent ten weeks on the charts & was on five different subsequent compilation or live albums - roughly on par with the Ventura Highway legacy)
The Homecoming album has a ton of good songs on it. I think I know which song you mean but I’m not 100%.

I don’t believe anyone has done a second from 1972.

The Homecoming album has a ton of good songs on it. I think I know which song you mean but I’m not 100%.

I don’t believe anyone has done a second from 1972.
Oh wait my bad….the song I was thinking of was released as a single summer ‘72 but was in the eponymous debut released late ‘71

and I think we’re on our third 100 list for that year 

Users who are viewing this thread