What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The 100 Greatest Songs of 1976 #1. Foreplay/Long Time (1 Viewer)

62. Queen “Tie Your Mother Down” (from A Day At the Races)

The opening guitar riff by Brian May is one for the ages and this song rocks all the way through. I can still remember seeing this band at the forum in 1980 and when they burst into this song the audience was positively electric. I have never seen a crowd react like that before or since (except this summer when I saw Taylor Swift in Amsterdam- that was the only crowd that matched that energy.)
What a great song. Queen was the first concert I ever saw in 1978 (News of the World tour) and I never saw a better one.

64. 10cc “The Things We Do For Love” (released as a single)

Such a gorgeous pop song. It’s one that, all these years later, I still won’t turn off. Critics at the time compared it to the Beatles and I can hear that but I think Paul McCartney would have been proud to have written it. My favorite song by this band.
Great song. Re the Beatles comparison, it helps that 10cc’s Eric Stewart sounds a bit like Paul McCartney.

62. Queen “Tie Your Mother Down” (from A Day At the Races)

The opening guitar riff by Brian May is one for the ages and this song rocks all the way through. I can still remember seeing this band at the forum in 1980 and when they burst into this song the audience was positively electric. I have never seen a crowd react like that before or since (except this summer when I saw Taylor Swift in Amsterdam- that was the only crowd that matched that energy.)
Was happy he got rated #1 guitarist by Total Guitar. I don't think you can pick the best out of the top ~20. They are all awesome. But I felt May was criminally underrated for a long time. Bohemian Rhapsody movie helped May come back into recognition.

61 Bee Gees “You Should Be Dancing” (from Children Of The World)

The Barry Gibb disco run (one of the most amazing runs in the history of popular music) really begins here. It’s true that “Jive Talkin’” was a minor hit in 1975 (it became a much bigger hit in 1977) but it isn’t a disco song and not part of the formula that completely dominated the charts. That formula was created with “You Should Be Dancing”.
The video features a very young John Travolta from the famous movie that came out a year later. Quite a talented dancer.

The Barry Gibb disco run (one of the most amazing runs in the history of popular music) really begins here. It’s true that “Jive Talkin’” was a minor hit in 1975 (it became a much bigger hit in 1977) but it isn’t a disco song and not part of the formula that completely dominated the charts. That formula was created with “You Should Be Dancing”.
The video features a very young John Travolta from the famous movie that came out a year later. Quite a talented dancer.
Tim, "Jive Talkin'" hit #1 on the US pop charts in 1975. I mean, I guess you could say that's "minor", but I couldn't. It was also not a "bigger" hit in 1977 - it resurfaced, but not to the level it reached two years earlier.

Anyway, "You Should Be Dancing" is a great record. I'm only half-ashamed to say that I can't understand what Barry is singing sometimes. After almost 50 years, I still don't know half the lyrics in this song are. I didn't know one line was "what you doin on your butt" until sometime in the '90s (to be generous to myself).

I'm not gonna try to parse when disco or any other genre started. Y'all are smarter than I am and I'll leave that up to you. My tip is that it's a losing proposition to try.

Tim, "Jive Talkin'" hit #1 on the US pop charts in 1975. I mean, I guess you could say that's "minor", but I couldn't. It was also not a "bigger" hit in 1977 - it resurfaced, but not to the level it reached two years earlier.

Anyway, "You Should Be Dancing" is a great record. I'm only half-ashamed to say that I can't understand what Barry is singing sometimes. After almost 50 years, I still don't know half the lyrics in this song are. I didn't know one line was "what you doin on your butt" until sometime in the '90s (to be generous to myself).

I'm not gonna try to parse when disco or any other genre started. Y'all are smarter than I am and I'll leave that up to you. My tip is that it's a losing proposition to try.
You’re right about Jive Talkin’, I was going on (faulty) memory. Need to look things up more before I post.

60. Boz Scaggs “Lowdown” (from Silk Degrees)

In Boz Scagg’s breakout album he was backed by the band that later became Toto, and these are great musicians. Jeff Pocaro’s drums and David Hungate’s bass in particular make this song a jazz rock, yacht rock classic that even Steely Dan would be proud of.

I distinctly remember “Lowdown” a LOT in 1976 and 1977, you couldn’t escape it, it was everywhere. I always assumed the lead singer was black though.

Last edited:
:laugh: 61 Bee Gees “You Should Be Dancing” (from Children Of The World)

Yeah, I did a double take when he said “minor.” Another error that a simple Google or Wikipedia search could have prevented.

As a kid, I heard “what you doin on your back” as “shumuddymuddymupp”. :laugh:

In Boz Scagg’s breakout album he was backed by the band that later became Toto, and these are great musicians. Jeff Pocaro’s drums and
David Hungate’s bass in particular make this song a jazz rock, yacht rock classic that even Steely Dan would be proud of.

I distinctly remember “Lowdown” a LOT in 1976 and 1977, you couldn’t escape it, it was everywhere. I always assumed the lead singer was black though.
This may be the second-most yachty song after What a Fool Believes.

In Boz Scagg’s breakout album he was backed by the band that later became Toto, and these are great musicians. Jeff Pocaro’s drums and David Hungate’s bass in particular make this song a jazz rock, yacht rock classic that even Steely Dan would be proud of.

There was another song on this album I really like as well. I like it more than Lowdown but this one is groovy.

In Boz Scagg’s breakout album he was backed by the band that later became Toto, and these are great musicians. Jeff Pocaro’s drums and
David Hungate’s bass in particular make this song a jazz rock, yacht rock classic that even Steely Dan would be proud of.

Also, I’ve always thought the electric piano part was the same as that in Sly’s Family Affair.

59. Boston “Rock And Roll Band” (from Boston)

The most autobiographical of Boston songs. But like all the others on this record, great melody, vocals, guitar riffs, etc. Always a joy to listen to. The video is from a live version in 1979.

No way. Too funky and danceable.

58. Rod Stewart “Tonight’s The Night (Gonna Be Alright)” (from A Night On The Town)

OK some of the lyrics are pretty awful- spread your wings and let me come inside- but like most of Stewart’s best material it’s got a nice folky melody, and he gives a great vocal performance. You know you want to sing along.

58. Rod Stewart “Tonight’s The Night (Gonna Be Alright)” (from A Night On The Town)

OK some of the lyrics are pretty awful- spread your wings and let me come inside- but like most of Stewart’s best material it’s got a nice folky melody, and he gives a great vocal performance. You know you want to sing along.
I like Rod, but hated this song. I'm ok with sleazy, but this was so tossed-off and lazy. Sold a trillion units, though, so what do I know?

57. Wings “Let ‘Em In” (from Wings At the Speed of Sound)

Another Paul McCartney classic. I’ve always really loved this one. Just a solid tune.
I'm a Paul fanboy, so I'm in.

57. Wings “Let ‘Em In” (from Wings At the Speed of Sound)

Another Paul McCartney classic. I’ve always really loved this one. Just a solid tune.
I'm a Paul fanboy, so I'm in.
The bass and drums make it.

55. Kiss “Detroit Rock City” (from Destroyer)

A lot of people regard this as Kiss’ greatest song. I don’t agree; in fact I think they have a better tune on this very album and we’ll get to it later. But that being said, “Detroit Rock City” IS a classic which features some fine musicianship from all four of the bands’ members, especially the dueling guitars of Paul Stanley and Ace Frehley.

A lot of people regard this as Kiss’ greatest song. I don’t agree; in fact I think they have a better tune on this very album and we’ll get to it later. But that being said, “Detroit Rock City” IS a classic which features some fine musicianship from all four of the bands’ members, especially the dueling guitars of Paul Stanley and Ace Frehley.
While it doesn't quite reach the depth, complexity or profundity of Lick it Up I do agree Detroit Rock City is a catchy tune and one of Kiss' best. Like it!(y)

Glad you included the full length album version and not the neutered AM radio version that excludes the beginning radio voice and shortens the solos.

When this song gets mentioned I think of the 1994 Kiss tribute album -"Kiss My ***" that featured Anthrax, Lenny Kravitz, Gin Blossoms, Toad The Wet Sprocket, Dinosaur Jr. , Garth Brooks and others. Including the band that covered this song The Mighty Mighty Bosstones.
It is an interesting and eclectic mix.

When this song gets mentioned I think of the 1994 Kiss tribute album -"Kiss My ***" that featured Anthrax, Lenny Kravitz, Gin Blossoms, Toad The Wet Sprocket, Dinosaur Jr. , Garth Brooks and others. Including the band that covered this song The Mighty Mighty Bosstones.
It is an interesting and eclectic mix.
In the cover song draft we did, I selected Garth Brooks’ cover of “Hard Luck Woman” - terrific cover IMO.

54. Peter Frampton “Do You Feel Like We Do” (from Frampton Comes Alive)

Coming in at just over 14 minutes, this classic live rocker is still not the longest song on this list- that comes later. But this is great stuff including the talk box which Frampton made famous here. The opening guitar riff bears a striking similarity to Eric Clapton in Blind Faith “Had to Cry Today”

Coming in at just over 14 minutes, this classic live rocker is still not the longest song on this list- that comes later. But this is great stuff including the talk box which Frampton made famous here. The opening guitar riff bears a striking similarity to Eric Clapton in Blind Faith “Had to Cry Today”
timschochet, on the right path again…timschochet.

53. Chicago “If You Leave Me Now” (from Chicago X)

I know a lot of old time Chicago fans aren’t fond of this era of their music when Peter Cetera took over songwriting duties and was responsible for their biggest hits, which were largely soft pop-rock rather than the jazz flavored rock they released in the early 70s. But many of Cetera’a songs are absolute pop classics of the era, none more so than this one.

The original 1973 studio version from his Frampton’s Camel album paled in comparison to the great live one.

I know a lot of old time Chicago fans aren’t fond of this era of their music when Peter Cetera took over songwriting duties and was responsible for their biggest hits, which were largely soft pop-rock rather than the jazz flavored rock they released in the early 70s. But many of Cetera’a songs are absolute pop classics of the era, none more so than this one.
I always liked this tune, but really became enamored of it in recent years after discovering the great cover band Leonid & Friends perform it:

The original 1973 studio version from his Frampton’s Camel album paled in comparison to the great live one.

agreed - I "Something's Happening" album when it came out the year before and wore the grooves off of it - can say I love the live versions more than the live, cause I dig'em both

* Something's Happening
* I Wanna Go To The Sun
* Doobie Wah

The only 45 I ever snapped in half.

The only 45 I ever snapped in half.
it's gonna be alright

agreed - I "Something's Happening" album when it came out the year before and wore the grooves off of it - can say I love the live versions more than the live, cause I dig'em both

* Something's Happening
* I Wanna Go To The Sun
* Doobie Wah
I’d add “Lines on my Face” from Frampton’s Camel being good, but the live version is awesome. Pete’s solos here are also top notch.

https://youtu.be/7Kw2UmaQUrw?si=onqAqN9FP9G4tLnM

I ranked this Chicago's 66th greatest song in the first Middle Aged Dummies artist countdown. What I wrote:

66. If You Leave Me Now
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuBRgCcL8Js
Album: Chicago X (1976)
Writer: Peter Cetera
Lead vocals: Peter Cetera
Released as a single? Yes (US #1)
This was the first of the band's three #1 singles -- despite the band having sat on it for two years before recording it, and then only as a last-minute effort at the Chicago X sessions -- and set the template for the next 10 years of their career, where they would be most identified with ballads sung by Peter Cetera. It may be the song of theirs that casual listeners are most familiar with, as it was ubiquitous in the late '70s. I find it pleasant but don't care for the string arrangement, which oddly won a Grammy (the song also won for Best Pop Vocal Performance by a Duo, Group or Chorus). Cetera played acoustic guitar and Terry Kath played bass, as they had done on Wishing You Were Here, which was written at the same time.
How much of a last-minute effort was this song? Walter Parazaider forgot it existed until it was played on the radio. In the Group Portrait liner notes, he said:
"The rhythm section was really struggling over some song. Lee [Loughnane], Jimmy [Pankow], and myself were done with our part of the recording. The foreman was taking us down to Denver to get us out of town. I remember [producer James William] Guercio and Peter talking, 'cause it was Peter's song, saying, 'If this doesn't work within the next couple of takes, we're gonna shine this. We've got enough tunes for the album.' I'm sitting around my pool three months later, and the local station goes, 'We've got the debut single by Chicago coming up.' A song comes on. I'm cleaning my pool, and I'm going, 'That's a catchy tune. Sorta sounds like McCartney. Where have I heard this before?' The next thing, they go. 'That's Chicago's latest release, "If You Leave Me Now.'" The main point of the story, outside of me being a dummy*, is that usually, things that just made the album end up being some of the biggest hits."
Live version from 1977: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxeuQKflPpQ
Leonid and Friends version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQ_j4Ytecgg&list=PL_lu88CYCO49t9aYp4N_40615W5h6TtLK&index=2

* - One of us! One of us!

I had six songs from Chicago X (plus one outtake that later surfaced as a bonus track) ranked ahead of it. Surely these will be on your list as well.

Glad you included the full length album version and not the neutered AM radio version that excludes the beginning radio voice and shortens the solos.
It remains their best song imo, the energy is off the charts.
My vote goes to Black Diamond, but this one has a good case.
Agree on Black Diamond. Loves me some Peter Criss singing lead.
I can't say I'm a fan of Beth -- probably because on that one he kind of sounds like the guy from the Goo Goo Dolls -- but otherwise, yeah.

I ranked this Chicago's 66th greatest song in the first Middle Aged Dummies artist countdown. What I wrote:

66. If You Leave Me Now
This was the first of the band's three #1 singles -- despite the band having sat on it for two years before recording it, and then only as a last-minute effort at the Chicago X sessions -- and set the template for the next 10 years of their career, where they would be most identified with ballads sung by Peter Cetera. It may be the song of theirs that casual listeners are most familiar with, as it was ubiquitous in the late '70s. I find it pleasant but don't care for the string arrangement, which oddly won a Grammy (the song also won for Best Pop Vocal Performance by a Duo, Group or Chorus). Cetera played acoustic guitar and Terry Kath played bass, as they had done on Wishing You Were Here, which was written at the same time.
How much of a last-minute effort was this song? Walter Parazaider forgot it existed until it was played on the radio. In the Group Portrait liner notes, he said:
"The rhythm section was really struggling over some song. Lee [Loughnane], Jimmy [Pankow], and myself were done with our part of the recording. The foreman was taking us down to Denver to get us out of town. I remember [producer James William] Guercio and Peter talking, 'cause it was Peter's song, saying, 'If this doesn't work within the next couple of takes, we're gonna shine this. We've got enough tunes for the album.' I'm sitting around my pool three months later, and the local station goes, 'We've got the debut single by Chicago coming up.' A song comes on. I'm cleaning my pool, and I'm going, 'That's a catchy tune. Sorta sounds like McCartney. Where have I heard this before?' The next thing, they go. 'That's Chicago's latest release, "If You Leave Me Now.'" The main point of the story, outside of me being a dummy*, is that usually, things that just made the album end up being some of the biggest hits."
Leonid and Friends version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQ_j4Ytecgg&list=PL_lu88CYCO49t9aYp4N_40615W5h6TtLK&index=2

I had six songs from Chicago X (plus one outtake that later surfaced as a bonus track) ranked ahead of it. Surely these will be on your list as well.
ok ...they made a lot of money, and the quality of music was awesome. As a young man at the time, I was repulsed. I mean ...geezus, they guys used to rock hard - thi **** is worse that Barry Manilow.

66. If You Leave Me Now

ok ...they made a lot of money, and the quality of music was awesome. As a young man at the time, I was repulsed. I mean ...geezus, they guys used to rock hard - thi **** is worse that Barry Manilow.
This song is grunge compared with You're the Inspiration, Hard to Say I'm Sorry, etc.

66. If You Leave Me Now

This song is grunge compared with You're the Inspiration, Hard to Say I'm Sorry, etc.
what?

66. If You Leave Me Now

what?
Not literally.

52. Bob Seger “Mainstreet” (from Night Moves)

For my money, this is one of Bob Seger’s prettiest efforts. A classic ballad. I probably could have ranked this higher but…the list starts to get really tough at this point.

For my money, this is one of Bob Seger’s prettiest efforts. A classic ballad. I probably could have ranked this higher but…the list starts to get really tough at this point.
I still listen to this one regularly. Great song.

timschochet, on the right path again…timschochet.

Should be higher

I still listen to this one regularly. Great song.

Love this one

That opening guitar lead and later solo by Pete Carr (as part of the Muscle Shoals Rhythm Section) is so iconic.

Users who are viewing this thread