What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The 100 Greatest Songs of 1977 #1. Come Sail Away (1 Viewer)

Dream has been one of my two favorite FM songs for a long time (along with Gypsy), and I actually prefer the live version they did on The Dance in the late 90s. It had a bit more oomph and Buckingham's guitar parts were a little more pronounced.

I'm a huge sucker for concert albums and this might be my all-time favorite. If a genie came down and granted me three wishes, after a Texas Rangers WS win and being the world's greatest chess player, it would be to be able to play Big Love like Buckingham does on this album.

7. The Bee Gees “Stayin’ Alive” (from Saturday Night Fever)

The Gibb brothers have no time to talk, because they’re busy offering up one of the greatest tunes of the disco era. The lead guitar riff (one of my favorites in all of popular music) is performed by the lesser known Alan Kendall. A musical tour de force.
Maurice himself doesn't get enough credit for the bass work he laid down here and elsewhere in their repertoire.

6. David Bowie “Heroes” (from “Heroes”)

Co-written by Bowie and Brian Eno, this is probably his greatest song post the Ziggy Stardust era. While its political theme of East and West Berlin is no longer relevant to todays society, its greater themes of love and freedom triumphant make it a timeless classic.

For as much Bowie music as I love, I have never thought Heroes was anything more than a good song. I could probably go 30-40 deep with favorite Bowie songs before getting to Heroes. That said, many love it to death, and I get why it's top 10 here.

6. David Bowie “Heroes” (from “Heroes”)

Co-written by Bowie and Brian Eno, this is probably his greatest song post the Ziggy Stardust era. While its political theme of East and West Berlin is no longer relevant to todays society, its greater themes of love and freedom triumphant make it a timeless classic.
Cynical 14-year-old me got the feels when he closed his set at Live Aid with this.

I do love that version from the Freddie Mercury show, and I think that is why I don't have mad love for the original. The version from the Freddie show was the first time I heard the song, so years later when I heard the studio version of Heroes, it just underwhelmed me (relatively speaking).

I do love that version from the Freddie Mercury show, and I think that is why I don't have mad love for the original. The version from the Freddie show was the first time I heard the song, so years later when I heard the studio version of Heroes, it just underwhelmed me (relatively speaking).
That song was meant to be heard in a stadium. His best song.

Not meaning to disagree. Just love that track

5. Talking Heads “Psycho Killer” (from Talking Heads ‘77)

Any discussion of this song must begin and end with that incredible bass by Tina Weymouth.

After that we get to the lyrical content. Greatest song ever about a serial killer? Well maybe. “Midnight Rambler” is also a strong contender. In any event this tune was a revelation in 1977, and still amazing to listen to even today.

Any discussion of this song must begin and end with that incredible bass by Tina Weymouth.

After that we get to the lyrical content. Greatest song ever about a serial killer? Well maybe. “Midnight Rambler” is also a strong contender. In any event this tune was a revelation in 1977, and still amazing to listen to even today.
About 10-15 years ago, some guy I worked with sang the line "qu'est-ce que c'est" as "kiss kiss kiss". Only a potential trip to HR prevented me from pounding the guy.

About 10-15 years ago, some guy I worked with sang the line "qu'est-ce que c'est" as "kiss kiss kiss". Only a potential trip to HR prevented me from pounding the guy.
On the fa-fa-fa part I knew a guy that would cluck like a chicken.

3. Queen “We Will Rock You”
4. Queen “We Are The Champions”

(from News Of The World)

Both songs are obviously huge timeless classics. “We Are The Champions” has some terrific tongue in cheek lyrics and an amazing melody, and features some of Freddie Mercury’s most outstanding vocals. He manages to sound bombastic, completely over the top, yet also somehow sincere. It’s the performance of a virtuoso.

And yet “We Will Rock You” is even better. Of course the hand clapping and Mercury’s almost hip hop like chanting is anthemic and mesmerizing and arguably the single most famous bit of rock music ever, but this is followed by May’s guitar solo which may also be one of the very best in rock history.

Overplayed for decades but still great, still awesome.

3. Queen “We Will Rock You”
4. Queen “We Are The Champions”

(from News Of The World)

Both songs are obviously huge timeless classics. “We Are The Champions” has some terrific tongue in cheek lyrics and an amazing melody, and features some of Freddie Mercury’s most outstanding vocals. He manages to sound bombastic, completely over the top, yet also somehow sincere. It’s the performance of a virtuoso.

And yet “We Will Rock You” is even better. Of course the hand clapping and Mercury’s almost hip hop like chanting is anthemic and mesmerizing and arguably the single most famous bit of rock music ever, but this is followed by May’s guitar solo which may also be one of the very best in rock history.

Overplayed for decades but still great, still awesome.
Could justifiably have combined them as companion tunes and given you another song .

I've drafted this song in a FBG song draft...one of my alltime faves.

Last edited:
I am not a big fan of the first two albums by Talking Heads, but Psycho Killer is a good tune. Not one of their best overall, but certainly one of their best from their earliest years.

The Queen tunes are timeless classic, obviously.

I am seeing quite a few major classics not appear yet in this countdown, so it will be interesting to see what the top 2 are and which ones were left off.

I am not a big fan of the first two albums by Talking Heads, but Psycho Killer is a good tune. Not one of their best overall, but certainly one of their best from their earliest years.

I am seeing quite a few major classics not appear yet in this countdown, so it will be interesting to see what the top 2 are and which ones were left off.
I have a feeling that a couple of the songs you’re thinking of were actually released as singles in late 1976, which would make them ineligible.

I have a feeling that a couple of the songs you’re thinking of were actually released as singles in late 1976, which would make them ineligible.
Hmmmmm. There is a disco classic that I see was released in December 1976, and I am guessing that is out. Did you do a 1976 countdown? I almost remember you doing it and that song being in that one.

Hmmmmm. There is a disco classic that I see was released in December 1976, and I am guessing that is out. Did you do a 1976 countdown? I almost remember you doing it and that song being in that one.
Have not done 1976 yet.

Have not done 1976 yet.
Now I am definitely confused. :lol:

2. The Emotions “Best Of My Love” (from Rejoice)

The first line of this song is “Doesn’t take much to make me happy”, and for my entire life since 1977 this has been true in regard to this tune. All I’ve ever needed was to hear the opening bars to feel immediately uplifted. I believe that “Best Of My Love” which was written by Maurice White and features Earth, Wind & Fire as the band, has a good case for the greatest song of the disco era. The lead vocals are pitch perfect, the harmonies are sublime- and they can also dance: do not miss the video from Soul Train that I linked; it’s an absolute classic of the era.

The first line of this song is “Doesn’t take much to make me happy”, and for my entire life since 1977 this has been true in regard to this tune. All I’ve ever needed was to hear the opening bars to feel immediately uplifted. I believe that “Best Of My Love” which was written by Maurice White and features Earth, Wind & Fire as the band, has a good case for the greatest song of the disco era. The lead vocals are pitch perfect, the harmonies are sublime- and they can also dance: do not miss the video from Soul Train that I linked; it’s an absolute classic of the era.
Yeah, it's an EWF record with female singers. Like Chic did with Sister Sledge and Diana Ross.

Anyway, this is a killer record. It's by far their biggest hit, but all of the Emotions' recordings from this period are high-quality (as one would expect from EWF). That vocal crescendo before the false ending still gives me chills.

This seems about 40 spots too high for an average song. :shrug:

This seems about 40 spots too high for an average song. :shrug:
I would certainly love popular music far more than I do now if “Best of My Love” was an average song.

1. Styx “Come Sail Away” (from The Grand Illusion)

So when it comes to discussing the Styx feud, I find that most people I know, including myself are on Team Tommy. Dennis De Young had just too many sappy ballads and Shaw wanted, and knew how, to rock and roll.

Of course the irony is that Styx’s all time grratest song, and the one that probably best represents them as a band, was Dennis De Young all the way. It’s a ballad, a rocker, a fantasy about angels, and finally a space adventure. And it’s the #1 song of 1977.

So when it comes to discussing the Styx feud, I find that most people I know, including myself are on Team Tommy. Dennis De Young had just too many sappy ballads and Shaw wanted, and knew how, to rock and roll.

Of course the irony is that Styx’s all time grratest song, and the one that probably best represents them as a band, was Dennis De Young all the way. It’s a ballad, a rocker, a fantasy about angels, and finally a space adventure. And it’s the #1 song of 1977.

oh tim ...

Apologies Tim, but I can’t read the bolded with a straight face.

Of the 100 listed, these are the 13 songs that would contend for my top 10.(listed in the order of the OP) I will rank them if there's interest.

70. “Movin’ Out (Anthony’s Song)” Billy Joel
62. “Lay Down Sally” Eric Clapton
50. “You Make Loving Fun” Fleetwood Mac
42. “Only the Good Die Young” Billy Joel
34. “God Save the Queen” The Sex Pistols
33. “Scenes From An Italian Restaurant” Billy Joel
29. “I Feel Love” Donna Summer
28. “Here You Come Again” Dolly Parton
20. “Night Fever” The Bee Gees
16. “Barracuda” Heart
12. “Solsbury Hill” Peter Gabriel
8. “Dreams” Fleetwood Mac
3. “We Will Rock You” Queen

Welp, Timbo, I love your threads. Up until now, I just figured my taste in music wasn't just all that. But this pick for #1 in 1977 makes me think your taste isn't all that, either.

Users who are viewing this thread