What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The 100 Greatest Songs of 1979 #1 “Comfortably Numb” Pink Floyd (1 Viewer)

92. The Undertones “Jimmy Jimmy” (from The Undertones

https://youtu.be/NiK-eGbwCj0

Yet more power pop from across the sea, this time in the form of a post punk rock band out of Derry, Northern Ireland. Even more than 1977’s “Teenage Kicks”, “Jimmy Jimmy” was their biggest ever hit, reaching top 10 status in the British Isles. Despite four albums and several more songs that would chart over there, the Undertones and lead singer Fearghal Sharkey were and remain virtually unknown in the United States. 

91. Jimmy Buffett “Fins” (from Volcano

https://youtu.be/UruXWui1EG8

Everything about this guy amazes me. This is a song with a nice lyric that uses shark imagery to describe men at bars. It’s a fun analogy but nothing brilliant. The melody is catchy but not particularly complicated or noteworthy. Just a nice, fun, pleasant tune to listen to from time to time. 

And yet...like so much else of what Jimmy Buffett has created in his life, he has somehow turned this pleasant tune into a fortune making industry. It’s played at every one of his concerts (and is this guy ever not in concert?), the fans know it by heart; they raise their arms and perform a weird kind of movement as he sings “fins to the left, fins to the right”. Half of them are wearing gear related to the song. “Fins” has appeared in numerous commercials and advertisements. After Buffett rewrote some of the lyrics it became part of the fight song of the Miami Dolphins! 
And the money just keeps pouring in. Can’t begrudge the guy, more power to him. 

Everything about this guy amazes me. This is a song with a nice lyric that uses shark imagery to describe men at bars. It’s a fun analogy but nothing brilliant. The melody is catchy but not particularly complicated or noteworthy. Just a nice, fun, pleasant tune to listen to from time to time. 

And yet...like so much else of what Jimmy Buffett has created in his life, he has somehow turned this pleasant tune into a fortune making industry. It’s played at every one of his concerts (and is this guy ever not in concert?), the fans know it by heart; they raise their arms and perform a weird kind of movement as he sings “fins to the left, fins to the right”. Half of them are wearing gear related to the song. “Fins” has appeared in numerous commercials and advertisements. After Buffett rewrote some of the lyrics it became part of the fight song of the Miami Dolphins! 
I thought it was about lawyers :bag:

Growing up and working in a water town with a bunch of dock bars in the '70s & '80s, Buffett got tiresome in a hurry. But I'll give him all the credit in the world - he caught lightning in a bottle and jumped on it. As you say, he got filthy rich doing so without (apparently) being a jerk.

I always loved his earliest hit, "Come Monday".

I thought it was about lawyers :bag:
Same thing, no?

I had never heard that Buffet song before, but then again I have never sought out any of his music. :lol:   Sounds like everything else I've heard by him.  Props to him for having made himself a millionaire with the style he plays, but he's a hard pass for me.

90. Robert Palmer “Bad Case of Loving You (Doctor Doctor)” (from Secrets

https://youtu.be/DlPHmYtqSdA

Robert Palmer was a pretty good British soul singer who always looked to me like Danny Elfman’s more mild mannered twin brother. This song began a string of hits that carried into the first half of the eighties, though he was probably most famous for the look alike models that always appeared in his videos, including this one. 

timschochet said:

the fans know it by heart; they raise their arms and perform a weird kind of movement as he sings “fins to the left, fins to the right”. Half of them are wearing gear related to the song. 
Hey guys, long-time lurker, first time poster. This seems like one of the more light-hearted threads so I figure I'll post this here.  

This is so funny. I always thought it was "fans" to the left "fans" to the right, and I never had any inkling why they were doing that gosh-darned dance of theirs with their arms cocked over their head.  Right shark for the win, as always, though.   

timschochet said:
94. Gary Numan “Cars” (from The Pleasure Principle)

https://youtu.be/99fRdfVIOr4

This song annoys me. But I like it too. I like it AND I find it annoying. It was actually a pretty big deal at the time. 
I feel a little bad that even though I was strongly tempted both times, “Cars” didn’t make either my One Hit Wonder list my best 100 New Wave songs list. It probably has a good case for both but I nixed it both times because of the annoyance factor. Couldn’t keep it out of the 1979 list though. 
I won't quibble with your personal rankings. This song is a pretty important one in the recent history of pop music. I think many consider this the song that brought electronica to the mainstream. If you watch/read interviews with the founders of synth pop, you'll see a lot of them relate some sort of wonder/state of flummoxedness about how Cars blew the lid off what they'd been doing for years. Bands like Kraftwerk, OMD, Human League, etc. who'd been innovating with digital sounds (or very close to it), it took Gary Numan and Cars to open the floodgates.

Beyond that, I think it's a great tune, even if it became so ubiquitous as to be burned out and/or annoying.

timschochet said:

Robert Palmer was a pretty good British soul singer who always looked to me like Danny Elfman’s more mild mannered twin brother. This song began a string of hits that carried into the first half of the eighties, though he was probably most famous for the look alike models that always appeared in his videos, including this one. 
Also glad to see Robert Palmer make the list, though I wonder what @wikkidpissah would say about the bolded phrase.

I won't quibble with your personal rankings. This song is a pretty important one in the recent history of pop music. I think many consider this the song that brought electronica to the mainstream. If you watch/read interviews with the founders of synth pop, you'll see a lot of them relate some sort of wonder/state of flummoxedness about how Cars blew the lid off what they'd been doing for years. Bands like Kraftwerk, OMD, Human League, etc. who'd been innovating with digital sounds (or very close to it), it took Gary Numan and Cars to open the floodgates.

Beyond that, I think it's a great tune, even if it became so ubiquitous as to be burned out and/or annoying.
Very :goodposting:

timschochet said:
92. The Undertones “Jimmy Jimmy” (from The Undertones

https://youtu.be/NiK-eGbwCj0

Yet more power pop from across the sea, this time in the form of a post punk rock band out of Derry, Northern Ireland. Even more than 1977’s “Teenage Kicks”, “Jimmy Jimmy” was their biggest ever hit, reaching top 10 status in the British Isles. Despite four albums and several more songs that would chart over there, the Undertones and lead singer Fearghal Sharkey were and remain virtually unknown in the United States. 
:nerd:

My Perfect Cousin and Wednesday Week were both higher than Jimmy Jimmy. Jimmy Jimmy topped at 16 . All the songs owe Teenage Kicks for their success

Also glad to see Robert Palmer make the list, though I wonder what @wikkidpissah would say about the bolded phrase.
My Robbie was a pretty good soul singer. He was a DAMN FINE British soul singer. What he really was was a great rock crooner. Like Sam Cooke and Marvin Gaye before him, he wanted to be the Sinatra of his form. I didn't actually know him all that well (a brief time on the same tour) but i think of him almost every time i sing because he once told me to "shut your bleedin' gob" between phrases.

timschochet said:

Really a big fan of his 1980 album , Clues. Does a damn good Beatles cover and also covers Gary Numan

89. Motörhead “Overkill” (from Overkill

https://youtu.be/MlzTET_8SQg

As @Gr00vus correctly pointed out, 1979 had a lot of very influential albums and songs that would change musical genres forever. I’m certainly no heavy metal expert but I do know this is said to be one of them. 
Despite my lack of ardor for the genre, I always kind of liked these guys. This song in particular starts with that great fast drum solo followed by solid guitar. It actually sounds quite a lot like punk rock from the same era. 

timschochet said:

Jimmy Buffett.  For some reason he was 'thee-guy' everyone wanted to party with.  A spontaneous movement by the workers of the ski area I was working at had invited him to a ski-day named after him where everyone was wearing Hawaiian T-shirts and sunglasses and I think they even put out an advertisement in the newspaper to invited him to come and ski and party but he declined.  

The whole Parrot-head thing was fun and really caught on.  

One of my favorite Jimmy Buffett tunes that doesn't qualify for this list so no spotlighting and is a fun tune was Cheeseburger In Paradise 

One of my favorite Jimmy Buffett tunes that doesn't qualify for this list so no spotlighting and is a fun tune was Cheeseburger In Paradise 
Yet another major moneymaker. There are at least 3 restaurants by this name all of them owned at one time by Jimmy. I’ve eaten a few times at the one in Lahaina, Maui. It’s pretty good. In addition, you can get a “cheeseburger in paradise” in Vegas. It’s on the menu at the lounge on the strip owned by Jimmy Buffett, called- wait for it- Margaritaville. 

88. Eagles  “Heartache Tonight” (from The Long Run

https://youtu.be/feduLprAAig

Back in the day I really could not stand this song. And it was ####### everywhere, endlessly played. The lyrics were especially lame. 
Then about 5 years ago I went to an Eagles reunion concert, prior to Glenn Fry’s death. Don’t get me wrong I’m a pretty big Eagles fan; it was just this song that I didn’t think a whole lot of. Of course they played it and it was the first time I had heard it in a few years. And I thought, you know, this isn’t nearly as bad as I thought. That guitar riff by Joe Walsh, which carries the tune, is actually pretty memorable. It’s really not a bad rock song, to be honest. 
But the lyrics were still as lame as I remembered. 

88. Eagles  “Heartache Tonight” (from The Long Run

https://youtu.be/feduLprAAig

Back in the day I really could not stand this song. And it was ####### everywhere, endlessly played. The lyrics were especially lame. 
I was in the sweet spot/right age-time-etc. and heard it on the radio and it clicked with me.  Yeah, the lyrics aren't inspired and it was overplayed but it had a ready-made audience and I was part of it.  Didn't age particularly well and isn't rated too high in a year that still had a lot of disco and easy-listening so I'm fine with 88.

I like the Eagles and agree Heartache Tonight is not one of their best. I like at least 7 songs better off of that 1979 album. 

By the way, for those who don’t know, Bob Seger co-wrote Heartache Tonight. 

Also, his name is spelled Glenn Frey. 

I like the Eagles and agree Heartache Tonight is not one of their best. I like at least 7 songs better off of that 1979 album. 

By the way, for those who don’t know, Bob Seger co-wrote Heartache Tonight. 

Also, his name is spelled Glenn Frey. 
Ah, that would explain its mediocrity.

(I like a few Seger songs, but am generally not a fan at all)

87. Graham Parker “Discovering Japan” (from Squeezing Out Sparks

https://youtu.be/RjtGr41PUws

Graham Parker & The Rumor was one of the best bands to emerge from Stiff Records and the British power pop singer songwriter movement of the late 70s, and Squeezing Out Sparks was his masterpiece. This song remains one of his best ever compositions. 

87. Graham Parker “Discovering Japan” (from Squeezing Out Sparks

https://youtu.be/RjtGr41PUws

Graham Parker & The Rumor was one of the best bands to emerge from Stiff Records and the British power pop singer songwriter movement of the late 70s, and Squeezing Out Sparks was his masterpiece. This song remains one of his best ever compositions. 
Great tune.  It just roars.  One of my all-time favorite albums.  

86. Bauhaus “Bela Lugosi’s Dead” (released as a single) 

https://youtu.be/OKRJfIPiJGY

Released as a nearly ten minute single in August of 1979, this song must have seemed like a real oddity- and it took several years for it to get noticed. But it’s widely considered the first gothic rock song ever. Both Siouxsie and the Banshees and the Cure were making music in 1979 (the Cure in particular making GREAT music, some of which we will get to later, and later still) but neither band was doing goth at that point. It was the partnership of Peter Murphy and David Ash who would introduce this sound and genre to to the world- IMO, rather a mixed blessing to be sure.  But you can’t deny the innovation of “Bela Lugosi’s Dead.” 

86. Bauhaus “Bela Lugosi’s Dead” (released as a single) 

https://youtu.be/OKRJfIPiJGY

Released as a nearly ten minute single in August of 1979, this song must have seemed like a real oddity- and it took several years for it to get noticed. But it’s widely considered the first gothic rock song ever. Both Siouxsie and the Banshees and the Cure were making music in 1979 (the Cure in particular making GREAT music, some of which we will get to later, and later still) but neither band was doing goth at that point. It was the partnership of Peter Murphy and David Ash who would introduce this sound and genre to to the world- IMO, rather a mixed blessing to be sure.  But you can’t deny the innovation of “Bela Lugosi’s Dead.” 
David Bowie was a big fan of Bauhaus' cover of Ziggy Stardust. In fact he got them a part as the band in his 1983 vampire movie, The Hunger.

Last edited by a moderator:
85. Styx “Babe” (from Cornerstone)

https://youtu.be/uBi61pgDUP8

“The rest of the band, we always wanted to rock and roll, man! But Dennis kept making us play these ####### ballads.” - Tommy Shaw 

By 1979, Styx was the number one rock group in the world, and a big part of the reason were the “####### ballads”, expertly written and sung by Dennis De Young of which “Babe” is probably the ultimate example. Apparently it drove the rest of the band crazy (though so far as I can see they’ve never rejected the money earned) and this eventually led to their breakup. Except for a brief reunion in the late 90s (again for cash) they’ve never resolved this dispute, and 40 years later they’re still not on speaking terms because of it. 
“Babe” is a fine ballad...if you like that sort of thing. Sorry Tommy.  

Is there a particular master list you're drawing these titles from? From your collection? Memory?

I'm not saying anything about anything. Just curious.

Is there a particular master list you're drawing these titles from? From your collection? Memory?

I'm not saying anything about anything. Just curious.
I start with the Wiki list of all notable albums and singles released in the year and comprise a pretty large list of songs- about 200 or so. Then I scan various greatest lists to see if I missed anything. Then I cut it down to 100, and then I make an order. 
It’s a little bit of work but pretty fun. 

I start with the Wiki list of all notable albums and singles released in the year and comprise a pretty large list of songs- about 200 or so. Then I scan various greatest lists to see if I missed anything. Then I cut it down to 100, and then I make an order. 
It’s a little bit of work but pretty fun. 
Yeah if you start with the Billboard Hot-100 and take a quick glance you will see at least 25 songs are disco and another 20 to 25 are soft-rock with an other half dozen country cross-over.  These are the songs that charted in 79 Billboard Year-End Hot 100 singles of 1979.  

If I do a list of 'The Other 100 Songs of 1979 I would have to get creative because Tim is going to pick off the best songs from the end of year charting singles so I would have to go deeper on album tracks and give myself some room to take any songs released in 79 plus take songs from September of 78 because many of those songs were getting air-play in 79.  Also I would allow any re-released singles or songs that were only released as singles in 79 but not  released on albums.

I was sitting on the fence but I've decided that I will attempt to get to 100 songs left over from 79.  Its a bit more challenging for 79 than 71.  Its not about culling together 100 songs but finding quality songs at the top of the list to make it satisfying to follow and I think I 'might' be able to pull it off.

Yeah if you start with the Billboard Hot-100 and take a quick glance you will see at least 25 songs are disco and another 20 to 25 are soft-rock with an other half dozen country cross-over.  These are the songs that charted in 79 Billboard Year-End Hot 100 singles of 1979.  

If I do a list of 'The Other 100 Songs of 1979 I would have to get creative because Tim is going to pick off the best songs from the end of year charting singles so I would have to go deeper on album tracks and give myself some room to take any songs released in 79 plus take songs from September of 78 because many of those songs were getting air-play in 79.  Also I would allow any re-released singles or songs that were only released as singles in 79 but not  released on albums.

I was sitting on the fence but I've decided that I will attempt to get to 100 songs left over from 79.  Its a bit more challenging for 79 than 71.  Its not about culling together 100 songs but finding quality songs at the top of the list to make it satisfying to follow and I think I 'might' be able to pull it off.
Another 100 songs may be a challenge, but I have no doubt there will be an easy 50 beyond Tim's list.

84. Blondie “Dreaming” (from Eat to the Beat

https://youtu.be/TU3-lS_Gryk

Blondie’s follow up to Parallel Lines, one of the greatest albums of the New Wave genre, was always going to be difficult, and Eat to the Beat was kind of a disappointment, unable to duplicate the pop hooks that so dominated the previous album. But “Dreaming” was the exception, a great tune that would quickly become one of their standards. 

84. Blondie “Dreaming” (from Eat to the Beat

https://youtu.be/TU3-lS_Gryk

Blondie’s follow up to Parallel Lines, one of the greatest albums of the New Wave genre, was always going to be difficult, and Eat to the Beat was kind of a disappointment, unable to duplicate the pop hooks that so dominated the previous album. But “Dreaming” was the exception, a great tune that would quickly become one of their standards. 
Dreaming is an awesome song with an awesome drumming performance.

The song also features a frantic drum performance written by drummer Clem Burke.[7] Burke said of his drumming on the song:

The reason why 'Dreaming' came out the way it did is because [producer Mike Chapman] really gave me free rein and it was really a surprise. That take of 'Dreaming' was just me kind of blowing through the song. It's not like I expected that to be the take. I was consciously overplaying just for the sake of it because it was a run-through."[6]
Green Day recently did a cover version. Which isn't bad but BJA is no Debbie Harry. 

Blondie live version...

(Speaking of Blondie, a song I like that was a hit internationally but not in the U.S. was 1999's "Maria".)

85. Styx “Babe” (from Cornerstone)

https://youtu.be/uBi61pgDUP8

“The rest of the band, we always wanted to rock and roll, man! But Dennis kept making us play these ####### ballads.” - Tommy Shaw 

By 1979, Styx was the number one rock group in the world, and a big part of the reason were the “####### ballads”, expertly written and sung by Dennis De Young of which “Babe” is probably the ultimate example. Apparently it drove the rest of the band crazy (though so far as I can see they’ve never rejected the money earned) and this eventually led to their breakup. Except for a brief reunion in the late 90s (again for cash) they’ve never resolved this dispute, and 40 years later they’re still not on speaking terms because of it. 
“Babe” is a fine ballad...if you like that sort of thing. Sorry Tommy.  
I’m a big fan of both DDY and Tommy, but Tommy and James Young both wanted Babe to be a Styx song. DDY was recording it with the Panazzo brothers, as it was meant to simply be a personal thing for his wife, when the others heard it and wanted to record it cause they knew it would be a hit and increase their fan count. Tommy and JY’s revisionist history since is unfortunate. 

I’m a big fan of both DDY and Tommy, but Tommy and James Young both wanted Babe to be a Styx song. DDY was recording it with the Panazzo brothers, as it was meant to simply be a personal thing for his wife, when the others heard it and wanted to record it cause they knew it would be a hit and increase their fan count. Tommy and JY’s revisionist history since is unfortunate. 
That’s interesting; I did not know that. I’ve heard Tommy complain about this in more than one interview. 
He also claimed that the band gave cocaine to various DJs to get “Come Sail Away” played. Now I wonder if that’s made up too. 

I've read the same. Tommy and JY didn't like the mushiness of "Babe", but they also didn't want to miss out on the potential windfall that they thought it might bring.

That’s interesting; I did not know that. I’ve heard Tommy complain about this in more than one interview. 
He also claimed that the band gave cocaine to various DJs to get “Come Sail Away” played. Now I wonder if that’s made up too. 

I've read the same. Tommy and JY didn't like the mushiness of "Babe", but they also didn't want to miss out on the potential windfall that they thought it might bring.
My guess is they thought Babe would be a one-off, but then the record co wanted First Time (mushier than babe and not as good) to be the 2nd single, and I believe Tommy threatened to leave the band if that happened as he didn’t want them turning into a ballads band. Combine that with DDY’s turn away from hard rock after that and I’m sure they hate Babe for being the catalyst. 

83. The Clash “The Guns of Brixton” (from London Calling)

https://youtu.be/JcW8VNwYvL0

There are 18 songs on this record which I personally believe is the greatest rock album ever made. I could make a case for all 18 on this list, but in the end I was forced to choose less. 
“The Guns of Brixton” was written and sung  by bassist Paul Simonon, and it contains one of the all time great bass lines. The song explores the band’s reggae influences and is regarded as a classic. 

And on the opposite end of the spectrum...that song is terrible.

Boioooiiinnngggg...

But I'm not much of a Clash fan. 

Andy Dufresne said:
And on the opposite end of the spectrum...that song is terrible.

Boioooiiinnngggg...

But I'm not much of a Clash fan. 
Same here. They have a few good songs, but it ends there. 

89. Motörhead “Overkill” (from Overkill

https://youtu.be/MlzTET_8SQg

As @Gr00vus correctly pointed out, 1979 had a lot of very influential albums and songs that would change musical genres forever. I’m certainly no heavy metal expert but I do know this is said to be one of them. 
Despite my lack of ardor for the genre, I always kind of liked these guys. This song in particular starts with that great fast drum solo followed by solid guitar. It actually sounds quite a lot like punk rock from the same era. 
Nice to see Lemmy get some love.   

Glad Tim is doing another of these.   Always find a new song or am reminded of a song long forgotten. 

82. Foreigner “Dirty White Boy” (from Head Games
https://youtu.be/tJSRfztl_tc

The late 70s was the golden age for Foreigner, a band that changed hard rock music by giving it a pop edge, which in turn paved the way for many successful acts to follow. Head Games probably wasn’t their overall best effort IMO, but “Dirty White Boy” is pretty good straightforward rock and roll, highlighted by an exceptional vocalist, with solid guitar and drums. 
Because they were so well packaged, Foreigner never received the accolades given some of their rock contemporaries. But this was actually a pretty outstanding band. 

82. Foreigner “Dirty White Boy” (from Head Games
https://youtu.be/tJSRfztl_tc

The late 70s was the golden age for Foreigner, a band that changed hard rock music by giving it a pop edge, which in turn paved the way for many successful acts to follow. Head Games probably wasn’t their overall best effort IMO, but “Dirty White Boy” is pretty good straightforward rock and roll, highlighted by an exceptional vocalist, with solid guitar and drums. 
Because they were so well packaged, Foreigner never received the accolades given some of their rock contemporaries. But this was actually a pretty outstanding band. 
I really like Foreigner but must admit that this is one of my least favorite songs from them.

We'll see what others ones from them show up later.

Users who are viewing this thread