What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The 2006 NFL draft as it affects RBs (1 Viewer)

weasel3515

Footballguy
Since the most likely rookie canidates for success are RBs I thought I'd post my predictions for how this class will occur at the draft with the added twists of team moves. 1.1 Houston-RB Reggie Bush (as you've probably read, the reason Bush finally decided to go pro was that he was assured he would be taken #1 overall). The Texans trade DD to Indy.1.2 New Orleans-QB Vince Young. Just simply too good to pass up.1.3 Tennessee-QB Matt Leinart (the consolation prize and next Ryan Leaf. At least he will have McNair and Volek to tutor him for a year).1.4 N.Y. Jets. For some reason this team thinks they can get by on C-Mart, and to a lesser degree Cedric Houston. They probably go defense.1.5 Green Bay The Pack thinks they found something in Samkon Gado. My bet is they keep Green for insurance and let Davenport loose to pursue his toiletry habits.1.6 San Francisco on a coin flip over Oakland. RB Lendale White assumes the starting role and Gore becomes a third down/change of pace back. Barlow is history.1.7 Oakland. Al Davis thinks he has all 43 pieces of a 100 piece puzzle and trades for QB Daunte Culpepper (who is asking for a RAISE!) to reunite him with Moss.1.8 Buffalo. Set on offense. Goes defense.1.9 Detroit. Takes another WR. Why not? Charles Rogers is probably gone anyway.1.10 Arizona. Takes an O-lineman. (Trades second round pick to Miami for Ricky Williams and a ton of doobie. They wanted it to be a third round pick but had to bump it up to get his doobie also).1.11 St. Louis. Snooze.1.12 Cleveland. Yawn.1.13 Baltimore. Should probably draft a RB since Jamal Lewis will be cut (and incidentally will become Maurice Clarett's future cellmate). They seem content with Chester Taylor. Seriously, a guy by the name of Chester?1.14 Philadelphia. Drafted Moats high last year and Westbrook will be back. Probably a defensive player.1.15 Atlanta. Definitely D-line. Duckett gets the axe to pursue his dream of eating the World Championship Hot Dog Eating Contest.1.16 Miami. Trades Icky Ricky and his dreadlocks. Chooses LB and QB with two-first rounders.1.17 Minnesota. Can't pass up hometown hero RB Lawrence Mulroney. Bennett gets his pink slip and promptly goes to New Orleans. Moe is a goal-line back. Moore is a third-down back and Ciatrick Fiason gets to return kicks. Still a mess.1.18 Dallas. Really anybody's guess at this point. Jerry Jones could draft another shoe company for all we know. 1.19 San Diego. Should really draft another coach but that's not going to happen. Probably somebody to help in the woeful secondary.1.20 Kansas City. Let's see...LJ and Priest. Nope, no RBs here. Defense? They have one? Sounds good to me.1.21 New England. They get lucky with DeAngelo Williams falling to them. A future (though probably not this year except for injury) replacement for Dillon.1.22 Washington. WR to help out S.Moss.1.23 Carolina. Gets Fraud Taylor via trade with Jacksonville. Cuts loose one or both of the glass duo of S.Davis and Foster. This team's had good luck with fragile RBs so why not?1.24 Tampa Bay. Good one. I have no clue.1.25 Chicago. A WR. No brainer.1.26 Cincinnati. More help to the defense...they need it.1.27 N.Y. Giants. LB help would be appreciated as evidenced by the meltdown vs. the Panthers.1.28 Pittsburgh. O-lineman. You can never have enough, especially when they keep leaving via free agency.1.29 Jacksonville. Trade pick to Indy for Edgerrin James who wants to go back to Florida. Fraud Taylor goes to Carolina via trade.1.30 Seattle. Defensive help needed here.1.31 Denver. O-lineman as they current group is getting long in the tooth.1.32 Houston (via trade with Indy for DD) takes a D-lineman.

It would not be smart for Houston to trade DomDavis. IMO, Bush as an ADDITION to the Houston offense than expecting him to be a replacement. If Houston does trade Davis, the dumbest thing in the world to do would be to trade a player witnin its division. Let the Colts solve thier RB issues dome other way.

[1.3 Tennessee-QB Matt Leinart (the consolation prize and next Ryan Leaf. At least he will have McNair and Volek to tutor him for a year).I disagree. The next Peyton Manning!!!

1.1 Houston-RB Reggie Bush (as you've probably read, the reason Bush finally decided to go pro was that he was assured he would be taken #1 overall).  The Texans trade DD to Indy. Polian has made it clear he wants a power running game, DD doesn't apply.

1.2 New Orleans-QB Vince Young.  Just simply too good to pass up.  They probably think the same thing about Leinert.

1.3 Tennessee-QB Matt Leinart (the consolation prize and next Ryan Leaf.  At least he will have McNair and Volek to tutor him for a year).   They probably think the same thing about Young, or they may go for DeAngelo Williams.

1.4 N.Y. Jets.  For some reason this team thinks they can get by on C-Mart, and to a lesser degree Cedric Houston.  They probably go defense.  They may be looking at Vince Young, Lendale White, or DeAngelo Williams

1.5 Green Bay  The Pack thinks they found something in Samkon Gado.  My bet is they keep Green for insurance and let Davenport loose to pursue his toiletry habits.  I hear they love Lendale White.

1.6 San Francisco on a coin flip over Oakland.  RB Lendale White assumes the starting role and Gore becomes a third down/change of pace back.  Barlow is history.  I don't think SF likes their #1 choce from last year.  If they can somehow get a franchise QB, they will do it, otherwise, they need DB help.

1.7 Oakland.  Al Davis thinks he has all 43 pieces of a 100 piece puzzle and trades for QB Daunte Culpepper (who is asking for a RAISE!) to reunite him with Moss.  I agree that Culpepper could end up in Oakland.  How funny will this be since Moss threw Culpepper under the bus?

1.8 Buffalo.  Set on offense.  Goes defense.  Offensive Line

1.9 Detroit.  Takes another WR.  Why not? Charles Rogers is probably gone anyway. Detroit will draft either OL or defense.

1.10 Arizona.  Takes an O-lineman.  (Trades second round pick to Miami for Ricky Williams and a ton of doobie.  They wanted it to be a third round pick but had to bump it up to get his doobie also).  RB or best player available, or trade.

1.11 St. Louis.  Snooze.  St. Louis had trouble stopping anyone last year, especially against the run.  They draft defense.

1.12 Cleveland.  Yawn.  I think Cleveland is moving in the right direction, but they couldn't stop the run last year.  Maybe they go that direction.

1.13 Baltimore.  Should probably draft a RB since Jamal Lewis will be cut (and incidentally will become Maurice Clarett's future cellmate).  They seem content with Chester Taylor.  Seriously, a guy by the name of Chester?  OFFENSE OFFENSE OFFENSE

1.14 Philadelphia.  Drafted Moats high last year and Westbrook will be back.  Probably a defensive player.  Looks they are right back to needing another WR.Lendale White would be bad either.

1.15 Atlanta.  Definitely D-line.  Duckett gets the axe to pursue his dream of eating the World Championship Hot Dog Eating Contest.  Atlanta couldn't stop the run.

1.16 Miami.  Trades Icky Ricky and his dreadlocks.  Chooses LB and QB with two-first rounders. Good candidate to move up for a franchise QB.

1.17 Minnesota.  Can't pass up hometown hero RB Lawrence Mulroney.  Bennett gets his pink slip and promptly goes to New Orleans.  Moe is a goal-line back.  Moore is a third-down back and Ciatrick Fiason gets to return kicks.  Still a mess.  I agree they probably take Maroney.

1.18 Dallas.  Really anybody's guess at this point.  Jerry Jones could draft another shoe company for all we know.   I think Dallas drafts a big play WR (Holmes?).  Glenn and Johnson are up there in age, and when will he get hurt again?  The other WRs in dallas don't excite.

1.19 San Diego.  Should really draft another coach but that's not going to happen.  Probably somebody to help in the woeful secondary.  I think SD drafts a WR.  They like Vincent Jackson for the future, but they need more than that.

1.20 Kansas City.  Let's see...LJ and Priest.  Nope, no RBs here.  Defense?  They have one?  Sounds good to me.  Defense or WR.

1.21 New England.  They get lucky with DeAngelo Williams falling to them.  A future (though probably not this year except for injury) replacement for Dillon.  NE could go about any direction.  Too hard to guage, but I'll say either RB or WR.

1.22 Washington.  WR to help out S.Moss.  I agree.

1.23 Carolina.  Gets Fraud Taylor via trade with Jacksonville.  Cuts loose one or both of the glass duo of S.Davis and Foster.  This team's had good luck with fragile RBs so why not?  Maybe another WR?

1.24 Tampa Bay.  Good one.  I have no clue.  Doesn't Tampa have some age in their defense?  Also, if the right WR falls to them,  they could go that route.

1.25 Chicago.  A WR.  No brainer. OFFENSE.

1.26 Cincinnati.  More help to the defense...they need it.  I agree, defense.

1.27 N.Y. Giants.  LB help would be appreciated as evidenced by the meltdown vs. the Panthers.  Pass defense here.

1.28 Pittsburgh.  O-lineman.  You can never have enough, especially when they keep leaving via free agency.  Maybe they make a push for Lendale White?  If not, then WR could be the choice.

1.29 Jacksonville.  Trade pick to Indy for Edgerrin James who wants to go back to Florida.  Fraud Taylor goes to Carolina via trade.  Jacksonville drafts offense.

1.30 Seattle.  Defensive help needed here.  Seattle may go WR

1.31 Denver.  O-lineman as they current group is getting long in the tooth.  Denver may go WR.

1.32 Houston (via trade with Indy for DD) takes a D-lineman.

There is talk about Indy getting Maroney, but I don't think he gets past Minnesota.  Now this order is obviously wrong, but for the sake of not caring about that in this thread, I think if Indy doesn't get the RB they want, they draft defense again. 

Last edited by a moderator:
[

1.3 Tennessee-QB Matt Leinart (the consolation prize and next Ryan Leaf. At least he will have McNair and Volek to tutor him for a year).

I disagree. The next Peyton Manning!!!
Choker when it counts....?Leinart is Leaf reincarnated. The kid will fail miserably at this level.

1.12 Cleveland. Yawn.
I'm not sure if this is because you don't like Cleveland or think they are a bad team but its not a very informed point of view. :thumbdown: Phil Savage was part of some wonderfull drafts in Baltimore and I think he is doing more of the same in Cleveland. Yawn at your own risk.

1.6 San Francisco on a coin flip over Oakland.  RB Lendale White assumes the starting role and Gore becomes a third down/change of pace back.  Barlow is history.  I don't think SF likes there #1 choce from last year.  If they can somehow get a franchise QB, they will do it, otherwise, they need DB help.
So you don't think SF considers Alex Smith, their #1 overall pick last year, a franchise QB? Or is this just a typo, and was supposed to be "franchise RB"?

1.6 San Francisco on a coin flip over Oakland.  RB Lendale White assumes the starting role and Gore becomes a third down/change of pace back.  Barlow is history.  I don't think SF likes there #1 choce from last year.  If they can somehow get a franchise QB, they will do it, otherwise, they need DB help.
So you don't think SF considers Alex Smith, their #1 overall pick last year, a franchise QB? Or is this just a typo, and was supposed to be "franchise RB"?
I'm not sure if SF thinks they goofed on Alex Smith as their franchise QB. Of course I could be wrong. What was this problem with the size of an NFL ball?

1.12 Cleveland.  Yawn.
I'm not sure if this is because you don't like Cleveland or think they are a bad team but its not a very informed point of view. :thumbdown: Phil Savage was part of some wonderfull drafts in Baltimore and I think he is doing more of the same in Cleveland. Yawn at your own risk.
Not meant to offend. I put "yawn" because I couldn't see them making any move toward a RB at all. They seem pretty happy w/ Droughns. Mostly, I just couldn't come up with anything witty to say at this point.

1.1 Houston-RB Reggie Bush (as you've probably read, the reason Bush finally decided to go pro was that he was assured he would be taken #1 overall).  The Texans trade DD to Indy. Polian has made it clear he wants a power running game, DD doesn't apply.

1.2 New Orleans-QB Vince Young.  Just simply too good to pass up.  They probably think the same thing about Leinert.

1.3 Tennessee-QB Matt Leinart (the consolation prize and next Ryan Leaf.  At least he will have McNair and Volek to tutor him for a year).   They probably think the same thing about Young, or they may go for DeAngelo Williams.

1.4 N.Y. Jets.  For some reason this team thinks they can get by on C-Mart, and to a lesser degree Cedric Houston.  They probably go defense.  They may be looking at Vince Young, Lendale White, or DeAngelo Williams

1.5 Green Bay  The Pack thinks they found something in Samkon Gado.  My bet is they keep Green for insurance and let Davenport loose to pursue his toiletry habits.  I hear they love Lendale White.

1.6 San Francisco on a coin flip over Oakland.  RB Lendale White assumes the starting role and Gore becomes a third down/change of pace back.  Barlow is history.  I don't think SF likes their #1 choce from last year.  If they can somehow get a franchise QB, they will do it, otherwise, they need DB help.

1.7 Oakland.  Al Davis thinks he has all 43 pieces of a 100 piece puzzle and trades for QB Daunte Culpepper (who is asking for a RAISE!) to reunite him with Moss.  I agree that Culpepper could end up in Oakland.  How funny will this be since Moss threw Culpepper under the bus?

1.8 Buffalo.  Set on offense.  Goes defense.  Offensive Line

1.9 Detroit.  Takes another WR.  Why not? Charles Rogers is probably gone anyway. Detroit will draft either OL or defense.

1.10 Arizona.  Takes an O-lineman.  (Trades second round pick to Miami for Ricky Williams and a ton of doobie.  They wanted it to be a third round pick but had to bump it up to get his doobie also).  RB or best player available, or trade.

1.11 St. Louis.  Snooze.  St. Louis had trouble stopping anyone last year, especially against the run.  They draft defense.

1.12 Cleveland.  Yawn.  I think Cleveland is moving in the right direction, but they couldn't stop the run last year.  Maybe they go that direction.

1.13 Baltimore.  Should probably draft a RB since Jamal Lewis will be cut (and incidentally will become Maurice Clarett's future cellmate).  They seem content with Chester Taylor.  Seriously, a guy by the name of Chester?  OFFENSE OFFENSE OFFENSE

1.14 Philadelphia.  Drafted Moats high last year and Westbrook will be back.  Probably a defensive player.  Looks they are right back to needing another WR.Lendale White would be bad either.

1.15 Atlanta.  Definitely D-line.  Duckett gets the axe to pursue his dream of eating the World Championship Hot Dog Eating Contest.  Atlanta couldn't stop the run.

1.16 Miami.  Trades Icky Ricky and his dreadlocks.  Chooses LB and QB with two-first rounders. Good candidate to move up for a franchise QB.

1.17 Minnesota.  Can't pass up hometown hero RB Lawrence Mulroney.  Bennett gets his pink slip and promptly goes to New Orleans.  Moe is a goal-line back.  Moore is a third-down back and Ciatrick Fiason gets to return kicks.  Still a mess.  I agree they probably take Maroney.

1.18 Dallas.  Really anybody's guess at this point.  Jerry Jones could draft another shoe company for all we know.   I think Dallas drafts a big play WR (Holmes?).  Glenn and Johnson are up there in age, and when will he get hurt again?  The other WRs in dallas don't excite.

1.19 San Diego.  Should really draft another coach but that's not going to happen.  Probably somebody to help in the woeful secondary.  I think SD drafts a WR.  They like Vincent Jackson for the future, but they need more than that.

1.20 Kansas City.  Let's see...LJ and Priest.  Nope, no RBs here.  Defense?  They have one?  Sounds good to me.  Defense or WR.

1.21 New England.  They get lucky with DeAngelo Williams falling to them.  A future (though probably not this year except for injury) replacement for Dillon.  NE could go about any direction.  Too hard to guage, but I'll say either RB or WR.

1.22 Washington.  WR to help out S.Moss.  I agree.

1.23 Carolina.  Gets Fraud Taylor via trade with Jacksonville.  Cuts loose one or both of the glass duo of S.Davis and Foster.  This team's had good luck with fragile RBs so why not?  Maybe another WR?

1.24 Tampa Bay.  Good one.  I have no clue.  Doesn't Tampa have some age in their defense?  Also, if the right WR falls to them,  they could go that route.

1.25 Chicago.  A WR.  No brainer. OFFENSE.

1.26 Cincinnati.  More help to the defense...they need it.  I agree, defense.

1.27 N.Y. Giants.  LB help would be appreciated as evidenced by the meltdown vs. the Panthers.  Pass defense here.

1.28 Pittsburgh.  O-lineman.  You can never have enough, especially when they keep leaving via free agency.  Maybe they make a push for Lendale White?  If not, then WR could be the choice.

1.29 Jacksonville.  Trade pick to Indy for Edgerrin James who wants to go back to Florida.  Fraud Taylor goes to Carolina via trade.  Jacksonville drafts offense.

1.30 Seattle.  Defensive help needed here.  Seattle may go WR

1.31 Denver.  O-lineman as they current group is getting long in the tooth.  Denver may go WR.

There is talk about Indy getting Maroney, but I don't think he gets past Minnesota.  Now this order is obviously wrong, but for the sake of not caring about that in this thread, I think if Indy doesn't get the RB they want, they draft defense again. 
:blackdot: Good stuff JohnnyU!

What are you basing any of this on? There's absolutely 0 chance the Niners go QB. Their biggest need is O-Line, but I think if there's a better defensive talent out there (maybe LB) then they'll go in that direction.

1.6 San Francisco on a coin flip over Oakland. RB Lendale White assumes the starting role and Gore becomes a third down/change of pace back. Barlow is history. I don't think SF likes their #1 choce from last year. If they can somehow get a franchise QB, they will do it, otherwise, they need DB help.
What are you basing any of this on? There's absolutely 0 chance the Niners go QB. Their biggest need is O-Line, but I think if there's a better defensive talent out there (maybe LB) then they'll go in that direction.
I wouldn't say "zero", but very little. OL is needed. Give Smith another year, Gore is going to be fine if he stays healthy, Hicks is a good backup. This draft is too stocked at other positions for 3 RBs to go high. Expect Bush in the top 3 if not #1, but then 2 more towards the end of the 1st, and Maroney (or whoever #4 is after the combine and workouts) may slip into the 2nd, perhaps TN, GB or the Jets take him there.

They might if they work out a trade of Alex Smith. I think they need some DBs.

No way the niners go for White, especially with Gore and Barlow on their payroll. White can carry the mail too hard and too often to play on a RBBC like that.

I don't think Chicago goes WR. Bernard Berrien is emerging as a speedster ...they've got some talent at WR, actually. I think they go defensive secondary or offensive line.

1.6 San Francisco on a coin flip over Oakland. RB Lendale White assumes the starting role and Gore becomes a third down/change of pace back. Barlow is history. I don't think SF likes their #1 choce from last year. If they can somehow get a franchise QB, they will do it, otherwise, they need DB help.
They might if they work out a trade of Alex Smith. I think they need some DBs.
Not a chance in hell that Alex Smith gets traded.

1.12 Cleveland.  Yawn.
Not meant to offend. I put "yawn" because I couldn't see them making any move toward a RB at all. They seem pretty happy w/ Droughns. Mostly, I just couldn't come up with anything witty to say at this point.
My bad then.FYI, not that I hope it happens but there is some buzz in Cleveland that Lendale White might be on their short list of BPA, difference makers at #12. I think we need to go OT or DEF front seven.

Since the most likely rookie canidates for success are RBs I thought I'd post my predictions for how this class will occur at the draft with the added twists of team moves.

1.1 Houston-RB Reggie Bush (as you've probably read, the reason Bush finally decided to go pro was that he was assured he would be taken #1 overall). The Texans trade DD to Indy.

1.2 New Orleans-QB Vince Young. Just simply too good to pass up.

1.3 Tennessee-QB Matt Leinart (the consolation prize and next Ryan Leaf. At least he will have McNair and Volek to tutor him for a year).

oh brother...another anti-Leinhart guy..Leinhart is more pro-ready than Vince Young. played at a higher level won more ncaa championships than vince young.won a heisman too. this just in, he's REAL good!

and if he goes to Tenn,to work with Norm Chow and Jeff fisher, BOTH former USC guys, he'll feel like he is right at home..

the bottom line is this: you COULD put Leinhart in an NFL offense today, and he could start. The same cannot be said about Vince Young..once you take that hitch out of his throwing motion, then , maybe..

but 11 years later, and i'm still waiting to see coaches take the hitch out of Kerry Collins throwing motion.

and why would Indy trade for a RB like DD?!? Polian would rather be looking a cheap rookie at the 30th pick overall..

he is the same GM to trade Faulk and select James.

Since the most likely rookie canidates for success are RBs I thought I'd post my predictions for how this class will occur at the draft with the added twists of team moves.

1.1 Houston-RB Reggie Bush (as you've probably read, the reason Bush finally decided to go pro was that he was assured he would be taken #1 overall).  The Texans trade DD to Indy.

1.2 New Orleans-QB Vince Young.  Just simply too good to pass up.

1.3 Tennessee-QB Matt Leinart (the consolation prize and next Ryan Leaf.  At least he will have McNair and Volek to tutor him for a year).

oh brother...another anti-Leinhart guy..Leinhart is more pro-ready than Vince Young. played at a higher level won more ncaa championships than vince young.won a heisman too. this just in, he's REAL good!

and if he goes to Tenn,to work with Norm Chow and Jeff fisher, BOTH former USC guys, he'll feel like he is right at home..

the bottom line is this: you COULD put Leinhart in an NFL offense today, and he could start. The same cannot be said about Vince Young..once you take that hitch out of his throwing motion, then , maybe..

but 11 years later, and i'm still waiting to see coaches take the hitch out of Kerry Collins throwing motion.

and why would Indy trade for a RB like DD?!? Polian would rather be looking a cheap rookie at the 30th pick overall..

Fellas, I hate to do this but you know its gonna happen....How many more championships did Leinart win than Young???

(hint: check the trophy case)

1.1 Houston-RB Reggie Bush (as you've probably read, the reason Bush finally decided to go pro was that he was assured he would be taken #1 overall).  The Texans trade DD to Indy.

1.3 Tennessee-QB Matt Leinart (the consolation prize and next Ryan Leaf.  At least he will have McNair and Volek to tutor him for a year).

Fellas, I hate to do this but you know its gonna happen....How many more championships did Leinart win than Young???

One, and that was a split title. In fact, they each led their teams to the same number of undefeated seasons, and Vince's came with a head to head win over Matt's team. Of course, how many titles a QB won in college has nothing to do with how NFL-ready he is. In this case, it is almost certainly Leinhart.

1.1 Houston-RB Reggie Bush (as you've probably read, the reason Bush finally decided to go pro was that he was assured he would be taken #1 overall). The Texans trade DD to Indy.

1.2 New Orleans-QB Vince Young. Just simply too good to pass up.

The same number as Ken Dorsey....

One, and that was a split title. In fact, they each led their teams to the same number of undefeated seasons, and Vince's came with a head to head win over Matt's team. Of course, how many titles a QB won in college has nothing to do with how NFL-ready he is. In this case, it is almost certainly Leinhart.
I'm Sorry, but you didn't check the trophy case did you? Leinart won ONE NCAA championship. There is no such thing as a split title anymore b/c all of the schools agreed to play under the BCS system. LSU was the champ that year. In addition to the state of California, a very small group of very fat men liked USC more. So what? That doesn't make them the champ.

I agree that winning NCAA championships doesn't make you pro ready, and I also think that Leinart is the better prospect. I just couldn't let the split championship BS go. Sorry for the hijack.

I'm Sorry, but you didn't check the trophy case did you? Leinart won ONE NCAA championship. There is no such thing as a split title anymore b/c all of the schools agreed to play under the BCS system.

LSU was the champ that year. In addition to the state of California, a very small group of very fat men liked USC more. So what? That doesn't make them the champ.
Actually, Leinart has won ZERO NCAA championships.LSU has won ZERO NCAA championships.

They've both won ONE BCS championship.

There is no recognized NCAA Division I champion in college football. There never has been.

To get back to the topic of this draft (RBs, the Leinart question notwithstanding) I'll answer the question about why the Colts would want to acquire DD. First, I believe they would like someone who is a proven commodity (heck, they could even trade for Ricky Williams). Second, Edge is probably gone after this season. Third, DD is a dual-threat back as both a runner and a receiver, something that is a must in Tom Moore's system. All that said, it probably won't happen but thought it would make interesting discussion.

Users who are viewing this thread