What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The 50 Greatest RUSH songs of all-time (featuring # 1 from the 1970's) (4 Viewers)

What the heck, here we go! I can't promise my initial write-ups will be long, as I am winging this a bit, but thought this would be fun.  Note that this list is by and large dictated by my personal tastes, so don't expect to see all of the biggies at the top, and expect to see a few deep cuts in here that you wouldn't expect.  How quickly I feature the next song will be dictated by how much interest/feedback there is and whatnot. 

50. Entre Nous (from the 1980 album Permanent Waves)

Always loved this tune from one of my three favorite Rush studio albums, and it was so great to see them finally play it live on the Snakes & Arrows tour in 2007.  This would actually get played from time to time on our local hard rock radio station, KSHE-95, back in the day.  I will throw out a little foreshadowing and say this is my least favorite of the six songs from this record. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dm6YIoaG4LE
they opened the S&A tour here in ATL and I about #### when they played this

the something for nothing podcast just did their counterparts review and I agree with gerry that its one of their worst albums if not their worst

I know your top 10 will probably be all counterparts tunes though

thanks for doing this. fun read
Gerry sounds crazy! :P  Counterparts is a great record. :cool:  

they opened the S&A tour here in ATL and I about #### when they played this
3rd song in the set on that tour technically, not the opener. ;)  

46. Available Light (from the 1989 album Presto)

Presto is kind of the whipping boy of Rush's discography, and while it is not their best album, it is still a good record with a lot of good songs, and a few standouts, one of them being Available Light.  While a massive deep cut, it is pretty popular with the hardcore fanbase and seems to always rank high on the list of songs they wish the band would have played on one of their tours in the 21st century.  Such a great melodic tune, and one that has to be one of the highlights of Geddy's career from a singing standpoint.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orse-YCQaXg
Presto is highly underrated IMO, great choice and we need to see more of the album on this list.

Let's keep this moving...

45. The Necromancer (from the 1975 album Caress of Steel)

I get it if one doesn't like this song, as it's a 12-minute opus with fantasy lyrics and a spoken word section at the beginning of all three parts, but damn it if this song doesn't kick ### regardless.  I love the pacing of the song, as part 1 moves slowly as the song builds, part 2 rocks and is punctuated by arguably the most rocking section in the band's history, and part 3 finishes the song mid-tempo and with Alex Lifeson crushing it with one of the best outro solos in the history of the rock music.  This song is great stuff. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lt12vKmLhXU

Last edited by a moderator:

I get it if one doesn't like this song, as it's a 12-minute opus with fantasy lyrics and a spoken word section at the beginning of all three parts, but damn it if this song doesn't kick ### regardless.  I love the pacing of the song, as part 1 moves slowly as the song builds, part 2 rocks and is punctuated by arguably the most rocking section in the band's history, and part 3 finishes the song mid-tempo and with Alex Lifeson crushing it with one of the best outro solos in the history of the rock music.  This song is great stuff. 

I was (probably most of us were) wondering about this one. It’s fair to include at 45, but crushes our 4 not included picks early.  :bag:

While I mostly do side 2 of this album, The Necromancer is such a great showcase of their musicianship. As a kid, I was a big fantasy role player and this song really resonated with me. I could picture myself as one of the heroes entering into the dark and forbidding land of The Necromancer. And the combination of those things makes for a song that I hold close in my memory. Thanks for including The Necromancer in this countdown. 

44. Turn the Page (from the 1987 album Hold Your Fire)

This was one of the first Rush songs I fell in love with in the latter part of 1991, thanks to the A Show of Hands version (link below), and remains a favorite to this day. How Geddy managed to play that bass line and sing at the same time is pretty unreal. 

"Every day we're standing
In a time capsule
Racing down a river from the past
Every day we're standing
In a wind tunnel
Facing down the future coming fast"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YnIvbDDvcc

I forgot how much I enjoy Turn the Page. Fast paced, tight  from beginning to end, lyrics are meaningful and well put together. I’ve spent a lot of time with HYF as it fell right into my wheelhouse age-wise, so count me as a fan and nice job including Turn the Page in the countdown. 

Al's Return of the Prince solo is one of his best.

I forgot how much I enjoy Turn the Page. Fast paced, tight  from beginning to end, lyrics are meaningful and well put together. I’ve spent a lot of time with HYF as it fell right into my wheelhouse age-wise, so count me as a fan and nice job including Turn the Page in the countdown. 
:hifive:

Al's Return of the Prince solo is one of his best.
Bold statement, considering how many great solos he has, but it's up there for sure.  :thumbup: :thumbup:

43. Different Strings (from the 1980 album Permanent Waves)

Rush was a bit hit or miss early on when it came to writing laid back, mellow tunes (Tears was a good one, Madrigal was okay, Rivendell was poor), but they hit it out of the park on this one.  Its placement on Permanent Waves is great as well, taking up the 2nd to last spot, which back in those days was reserved for a song they saw as a studio song that they never planned to play live, and this one never was played live.  Nice little tune, and really shows off Geddy's improved vocal skills as he started to tone it down a lot as the 80's began. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpOlIRc3POk

Also, this is the second song in a row that is the 2nd to be featured from a particular studio album, but number 42 will start a run of songs from albums as yet to be featured. :cool:  

43. Different Strings (from the 1980 album Permanent Waves)

Rush was a bit hit or miss early on when it came to writing laid back, mellow tunes (Tears was a good one, Madrigal was okay, Rivendell was poor), but they hit it out of the park on this one.  Its placement on Permanent Waves is great as well, taking up the 2nd to last spot, which back in those days was reserved for a song they saw as a studio song that they never planned to play live, and this one never was played live.  Nice little tune, and really shows off Geddy's improved vocal skills as he started to tone it down a lot as the 80's began. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpOlIRc3POk
Definitely one of their mellower tunes. Great pick - love Alex's reserved outro solo. 

Gerry sounds crazy! :P  Counterparts is a great record. :cool:  

3rd song in the set on that tour technically, not the opener. ;)  
I meant that they opened the SA tour in atlanta.  so no one knew the set list ahead of time.   not that it was the first song,  rather the first date on the tour. 

I meant that they opened the SA tour in atlanta.  so no one knew the set list ahead of time.   not that it was the first song,  rather the first date on the tour. 
Gotcha. The set list on that tour was wild, with so many new songs featured and a bunch that hadn’t been played in a long time, or never in the case of Entre Nous. 

42. The Analog Kid (from the 1982 album Signals)

A great rocker from the boys. I love the arrangement of the song how it is verse, chorus, verse, chorus, bridge, solo and then the final chorus is actually the latter part of the bridge.  I love that the hook in the bridge was so strong that it was good enough to end the song.   This song was always great live as well, as it almost always was an excuse to bust out the lasers. 😎

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXXGiIPTbOk

Glad to see the bump of this thread. 

The Analog Kid has one of the fastest Alex solos that I can recall off the top of my head. Always loved this song. But once I saw and heard it live it became an absolute favorite. A total gem and gave me a new appreciation for the entire album, which is a great album from beginning to end. Signals is so much more than simply Subdivisions and New World Man, and The Analog Kid is a great example of that (as are Chemistry and Digital Man). 

A great rocker from the boys. I love the arrangement of the song how it is verse, chorus, verse, chorus, bridge, solo and then the final chorus is actually the latter part of the bridge.  I love that the hook in the bridge was so strong that it was good enough to end the song.   This song was always great live as well, as it almost always was an excuse to bust out the lasers. 😎

Great pick - love this song.

Going for a 2nd today to make up for missing yesterday...

41. Mystic Rhythms (from the 1985 album Power Windows)

If someone was only familiar with Rush's 70's songs and then heard this song, they'd have a hard time believing it was the same band.  Neil's drum intro is so creative and inventive, and I love the exotic feel of the rest of the song.  You won't find another Rush song that sounds like this one. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVBXOzrf9Mk

Anyplace I can get a sample listen of the remix to Ceiling Unlimited or Freeze?
The original “hot” mixes and "hot” master of Ceiling Unlimited is far better. Freeze sounded a lot better on the remix.

It really is a mixed bag. I like some on the original mix and some on the remix. LOL. I will isa the tunes that were to me the best tracks on the record and which mix to my ears were better.

Original Mix:

Ceiling Unlimited

Ghost Rider

Nocturne

Vaportrail

Earthshine 

Secret Touch

Sweet Miracle

Remix

Freeze

One Little Victory

There you have it. 

Peacable Kingdom

If someone was only familiar with Rush's 70's songs and then heard this song, they'd have a hard time believing it was the same band.  Neil's drum intro is so creative and inventive, and I love the exotic feel of the rest of the song.  You won't find another Rush song that sounds like this one. 

Love this one. Mostly became familiar with it through A Show of Hands, where I was thoroughly captivated by the haunting nature of the mood and lyrics and how well it played live. Great tune overall, nice call.

The original “hot” mixes and "hot” master of Ceiling Unlimited is far better. Freeze sounded a lot better on the remix.

It really is a mixed bag. I like some on the original mix and some on the remix. LOL. I will isa the tunes that were to me the best tracks on the record and which mix to my ears were better.

Original Mix:

Ceiling Unlimited

Ghost Rider

Nocturne

Vaportrail

Earthshine 

Secret Touch

Sweet Miracle

Remix

Freeze

One Little Victory

There you have it. 

Peacable Kingdom
Love what you did there with Peaceable Kingdom.  :lol:

They really hit some Tears For Fears influence with the keyboard flourish’s. I really heard the new wave midi/sequenced sounds of the mid 80’s seeping into their music on this album and especially on this particular song. And it was amazing. Power Windows is a top 5 Rush album for me and this is such an exotic and fascinating Rush song. The lyrics are incredible and so visual. Just a majestic tour de force. 

absolutely love this song and, without thinking too hard about it, I think this would be in my personal top 10, so surprised to see this as low as 42. 
 As mentioned already: a great upbeat, bouncing rocker. Alex's Freakin’ shredding solo. And the killer bridge that leads into the solo.

An all time favorite for me!

Grace Under Pressure said:
Love this one. Mostly became familiar with it through A Show of Hands, where I was thoroughly captivated by the haunting nature of the mood and lyrics and how well it played live. Great tune overall, nice call.
I actually thought Mystic Rhythms was one of the few Rush songs that wasn’t as great live as it was in the studio. That’s not to say that I didn’t enjoy the heck out of it when I saw it played on the Counterparts and R30 tours, though. ;)

Todem said:
They really hit some Tears For Fears influence with the keyboard flourish’s. I really heard the new wave midi/sequenced sounds of the mid 80’s seeping into their music on this album and especially on this particular song. And it was amazing. Power Windows is a top 5 Rush album for me and this is such an exotic and fascinating Rush song. The lyrics are incredible and so visual. Just a majestic tour de force. 
Power Windows is top 3 for me. We’ll see more from it. :)

joey said:
absolutely love this song and, without thinking too hard about it, I think this would be in my personal top 10, so surprised to see this as low as 42. 
 As mentioned already: a great upbeat, bouncing rocker. Alex's Freakin’ shredding solo. And the killer bridge that leads into the solo.

42 does seem a bit low for a song this good. There are just 41 I love more. :cool:  

I want to thank GR for doing this, and I thought I would just run down the list so far of 41-50.  My thoughts on their positioning, ya know, like writers always critique other writer's lists of stuff, but not a critique.  Just a slight difference in taste.

50. Entre Nous (from the 1980 album Permanent Waves)  Too low   definitely top 20 for me

49. Time Stand Still (from the 1987 album Hold Your Fire)  Just right

48. The Anarchist (from the 2012 album Clockwork Angels)  Too low   by about 10 spots 

47. The Enemy Within (from the 1984 album Grace Under Pressure)  Too low   by about 10 spots

46. Available Light (from the 1989 album Presto)  Just right

45. The Necromancer (from the 1975 album Caress of Steel)  Too high   Not in my top 100, but still like it

44. Turn the Page (from the 1987 album Hold Your Fire)  Too high   Like this one, but just misses top 50 for me

43. Different Strings (from the 1980 album Permanent Waves)  Too high  meh.  Good tune.  not in top 50

42. The Analog Kid (from the 1982 album Signals)  Too low  Would likely be top 15 or even top 10 for me

41. Mystic Rhythms (from the 1985 album Power Windows)  Just right    Was my favorite Rush song until I heard "The Trees" back in 86  Might have overplayed it then.

joey said:

Already mentioned this could replace Red Lenses on GUP, and it would be my favorite Rush album by far.  Love this song so damn much.

Signals is hit or miss for me.  I like all the songs except one. Before Vapor trails, it was my least favorite Rush song.  I'm interested to see if it makes GR's list. 

Love this tune. Ever since I first heard it way back then

I want to thank GR for doing this, and I thought I would just run down the list so far of 41-50.  My thoughts on their positioning, ya know, like writers always critique other writer's lists of stuff, but not a critique.  Just a slight difference in taste.
We are all doing this, right?

It’s great to see the deep cuts on the list, even if I probably wouldn’t include them on mine. Mr. Rider is obviously a hardcore fan and put effort into this.

That said, The Analog Kid at 42 is just   :shock:

:P

50. Entre Nous (from the 1980 album Permanent Waves)  Too low   definitely top 20 for me

49. Time Stand Still (from the 1987 album Hold Your Fire)  Just right

48. The Anarchist (from the 2012 album Clockwork Angels)  Too low   by about 10 spots 

47. The Enemy Within (from the 1984 album Grace Under Pressure)  Too low   by about 10 spots

46. Available Light (from the 1989 album Presto)  Just right

45. The Necromancer (from the 1975 album Caress of Steel)  Too high   Not in my top 100, but still like it

44. Turn the Page (from the 1987 album Hold Your Fire)  Too high   Like this one, but just misses top 50 for me

43. Different Strings (from the 1980 album Permanent Waves)  Too high  meh.  Good tune.  not in top 50

42. The Analog Kid (from the 1982 album Signals)  Too low  Would likely be top 15 or even top 10 for me

41. Mystic Rhythms (from the 1985 album Power Windows)  Just right    Was my favorite Rush song until I heard "The Trees" back in 86  Might have overplayed it then.
Nice breakdown.  Love seeing other thoughts like this. :cool:  

It’s great to see the deep cuts on the list, even if I probably wouldn’t include them on mine. Mr. Rider is obviously a hardcore fan and put effort into this.

I know, I know.  When I listened to it yesterday, I even thought, "This really should be higher." :lol:  

40. Animate (from the 1993 album Counterparts)

What a beast of a song this is, and what a beast of an album Counterparts is.  I remember hearing this intro for the first time and thinking, "damn, this album is gonna be great." You just knew it.  And it damn sure was.  The fact that it was the first new Rush album after I became a fan sure helped my love for it, but even being as objective as I can about their entire catalogue, this still feels like a top 5 Rush album.  And what better way to kick it off than with an ### kicker like Animate.  And just think, it is not even the best song from this album.  Or even second best.  Or even...okay, I digress. :) :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BTtBrto__U

I am sure anyone who would do this list would have some different deep cuts on their list.  Its one of the things that make them such a great band.  They have so much music that is great for so many people, but they also have so many tracks that just speak to people on a whole different level.  It will be interesting to see when the list is complete, some of people's deep cuts that didn't make it into GR's top 50. :cough: Bastille Day :cough:

40. Animate (from the 1993 album Counterparts)

What a beast of a song this is, and what a beast of an album Counterparts is.  I remember hearing this intro for the first time and thinking, "damn, this album is gonna be great." You just knew it.  And it damn sure was.  The fact that it was the first new Rush album after I became a fan sure helped my love for it, but even being as objective as I can about their entire catalogue, this still feels like a top 5 Rush album.  And what better way to kick it off than with an ### kicker like Animate.  And just think, it is not even the best song from this album.  Or even second best.  Or even...okay, I digress. :) :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BTtBrto__U
So far, one of the themes of this countdown has been that no matter what song GR puts up there, it inevitably comes up on my shuffle within a couple days(been listening to only Rush since Neil's passing).  This morning it was Animate, and yeah, great song.  You nailed the summary on this one, GB.

Animate is one of my top 20 Rush songs.....such a fantastic groove. The bridge and solo is one of the great Rush moments. Live this song always pleased too. But the studio version is still king for me.

Counterparts was such a wonderful return to sonic form for Rush. One of the best sounding Rush albums of all time. 

Animate is one of my top 20 Rush songs.....such a fantastic groove. The bridge and solo is one of the great Rush moments. Live this song always pleased too. But the studio version is still king for me.

Counterparts was such a wonderful return to sonic form for Rush. One of the best sounding Rush albums of all time. 
I do like animate and can't argue with its slot here.   Also agree counterparts was a great return to sonic form but I find it has the highest amount of cringe of any of their albums. Nobodies hero, speed of love,  coldfire, everyday glory are all instant skippers for me and in their bottom 20.  Too bad too because coldfire has a killer riff.  Those lyrics though woof.

I do like animate and can't argue with its slot here.   Also agree counterparts was a great return to sonic form but I find it has the highest amount of cringe of any of their albums. Nobodies hero, speed of love,  coldfire, everyday glory are all instant skippers for me and in their bottom 20.  Too bad too because coldfire has a killer riff.  Those lyrics though woof.
Wow. I will respectively disagree. Cold Fire is awesome. Love it. And Everyday Glory? LOOOOOVE that song.

To throw out a brief spoiler, it broke my heart a little that Everyday Glory didn't make the cut for this list.  It was close, but ultimately was one of the last to go (it would have made the top 55 :lol: ).

And hell yeah to how awesome Counterparts sounds.  It is one of the best sounding rock records of the 90's.  Oh how I wish Clockwork Angels had had that same sound and production...

Ghost Rider said:

One of my all time favs.  Signals was the first recording where I basically wore out the grooves on the album from playing it so much.  

:thumbup:

39. Anthem (from the 1975 album Fly by Night)

What a great rocking song to lead off with on the band's 2nd album, the first with Neil Peart.  The intro alone was almost their way of saying, "check out this new kick ### drummer we got!"  The raw fury of this song is so endearing; the band was still in its infant stage and just wanted to rock out as much as they could.  And this is certainly one of their best all-out rockers of their entire career.  I still can't believe they busted it out on the R40 tour (in slightly abbreviated form).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VcswhBy9tk

What a great rocking song to lead off with on the band's 2nd album, the first with Neil Peart.  The intro alone was almost their way of saying, "check out this new kick ### drummer we got!"  The raw fury of this song is so endearing; the band was still in its infant stage and just wanted to rock out as much as they could.  And this is certainly one of their best all-out rockers of their entire career.  I still can't believe they busted it out on the R40 tour (in slightly abbreviated form).

In the olden days of lore this was one of the very few Rush songs played on my local radio. Glad to see it made the list.

for any that haven't heard the anthrax cover https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgDhv19SbBY

In the olden days of lore this was one of the very few Rush songs played on my local radio. Glad to see it made the list.
I think I remember hearing it on the radio a few times back in the day as well.  Of course, it helped that Rush was hugely popular here in St Louis and our local rock station, KSHE-95, was always one of their biggest supporters. :)

for any that haven't heard the anthrax cover https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgDhv19SbBY
This seems like an odd reply. Instead of discussing the original posted, all we get is a link to someone covering it?  Okay. :P

Users who are viewing this thread