What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The 50 Greatest RUSH songs of all-time (featuring # 1 from the 1970's) (1 Viewer)

Fear not, there is still plenty to come from the 1975-1982 years. :cool:

I agree that it can be difficult to compare a long song to a short song, but it's all a pretty inexact science.  This thread is basically just an excuse to talk about Rush. :P

Glad you're doing this although I'm not nearly the fan of "newer" Rush than it appears most on this thread. I just checked that there were exactly 50 songs combined on the albums Fly By Night through Signals. There's my top 50, unordered. On another note, I thought that for this band, a less conventional list could have been interesting as it's not really fair that you've got Xanadu (at 11 minutes) versus something like Closer to the Heart (at under 3 minutes). Both are brilliant songs in their own right but how do you compare, given the time differences? So instead of top 50 songs, it would have been interesting to do "Top 300 minutes of Rush" and then you'd have to think twice about including Xanadu since it takes up so much of that temporal real estate (it would undoubtedly make my list as it's probably my top song of theirs). But something like "Camera Eye"? No way that sniffs my top 300 minutes of Rush, considering the two or three shorter songs that I could have had. I'll shut up and get back to lurking.
Camera Eye is top 10.

• 34. Prime Mover (from the 1987 album Hold Your Fire)

This is the third of four songs from this album to make the top 50 (minor spoiler!!).  Another melodic gem, with some of my favorite Neil lyrics ever.  This is one of those songs where it is impossible to tap your foot and do a little air drumming.  It feels like I can say that about so many Rush songs, but it's always true.  The synth era was a bit tough on Alex Lifeson at the time, as the synths were taking the leads a lot and he was forced at times to find ways to work his guitar into the songs, and he always did a great job at it.  Prime Mover is a good example of that, as his guitar work is understated and very much below the surface, but the song wouldn't be nearly as good without it.  I love this tune.

"The point of the journey is not to arrive
    Anything can happen..."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1BJITyRQ8s
    Certainly not one of their all-time greats, but one I migrate to often. Glad to see it get the respect it deserves.

Glad you're doing this although I'm not nearly the fan of "newer" Rush than it appears most on this thread. I just checked that there were exactly 50 songs combined on the albums Fly By Night through Signals. There's my top 50, unordered. On another note, I thought that for this band, a less conventional list could have been interesting as it's not really fair that you've got Xanadu (at 11 minutes) versus something like Closer to the Heart (at under 3 minutes). Both are brilliant songs in their own right but how do you compare, given the time differences? So instead of top 50 songs, it would have been interesting to do "Top 300 minutes of Rush" and then you'd have to think twice about including Xanadu since it takes up so much of that temporal real estate (it would undoubtedly make my list as it's probably my top song of theirs). But something like "Camera Eye"? No way that sniffs my top 300 minutes of Rush, considering the two or three shorter songs that I could have had. I'll shut up and get back to lurking.

Just so we are keeping a little track here.  Albums not yet represented:

Rush

A Farewell to Kings

Hemispheres

Test for Echo

Vapor Trails 

Snakes and Arrows
Agreed percoino.  I'd have every song on the first 4 albums above before several songs already listed.  That said, I understand I'm in the minority and am thoroughly enjoying the work here and am going to give the newer stuff a chance.

Agreed percoino.  I'd have every song on the first 4 albums above before several songs already listed.  That said, I understand I'm in the minority and am thoroughly enjoying the work here and am going to give the newer stuff a chance.
Same here. I said up front that I was never a huge fan of a lot of their post-Moving Pictures stuff, but thankfully GR and some others here have helped me appreciate some of the later stuff.

33. The Weapon (from the 1982 album Signals)

When I first got into this record, this was my favorite from it, and while it may or may not be my favorite anymore ;) , I still love it just as much.  It's another lyrical masterpiece by Neil, and it was a very different kind of song for Rush to have done at the time.   This was near the top of my list of songs I wish I would have gotten to see them play live, but I didn't see them for the first time till 1991, and this was only played on two tours, so it was not be.  The instrumental section is so bad ### how it slowly builds around the drums, the swirling synths and the guitar punctuations, before Alex finishes it off with a great little solo.  Awesome song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHlLk5m0S4o

Last edited by a moderator:

When I first got into this record, this was my favorite from it, and while it may or may not be my favorite anymore ;) , I still love it just as much.  It's another lyrical masterpiece by Neil, and it was a very different kind of song for Rush to have done at the time.   This was near the top of my list of songs I wish I would have gotten to see them play live, but I didn't see them for the first time till 1991, and this was only played on two tours, so it was not be.  The instrumental section is so bad ### how it slowly builds around the drums, the swirling synths and the guitar punctuations, before Alex finishes it off with a great little solo.  Awesome song.

Nice pick. 

I have a bone to pick with Ghost Rider....because of this damn thread, I’ve spent even more time than usual in the YouTube Rabbit Hole weaving from video to video. My company will be sending you a bill. ;)  

ETA: forgot my drum note on this song: the verse drum pattern is so amazingly unique and fun to play along with. I was just jamming this verse pattern my kit only a few days ago. 

2/4 of the fear trilogy represented.  will the others make the cut? 

Nice pick. 

I have a bone to pick with Ghost Rider....because of this damn thread, I’ve spent even more time than usual in the YouTube Rabbit Hole weaving from video to video. My company will be sending you a bill. ;)  

ETA: forgot my drum note on this song: the verse drum pattern is so amazingly unique and fun to play along with. I was just jamming this verse pattern my kit only a few days ago. 
Nice!  I feel like I am repeating myself, but The Weapon is another Rush tune where it is impossible not to air drum. :headbang:

2/4 of the fear trilogy represented.  will the others make the cut? 
Time will tell. 🙂

Not much love for The Weapon, eh?  :(

We move on, then...

32. Headlong Flight (from the 2012 album Clockwork Angels)

I remember the fanbase collectively going bonkers when this song was released and I thought it was really good, but not sure it was the gem many said it was. They were right, I was wrong. It didn't take long for me to realize what a brilliantly structured and executed song it is.  If you have never done it, do yourself a favor and listen to the song while focusing on nothing but Geddy Lee's bass playing.  Once you pick your jaw up off the floor, report back. 😉   I also love Alex's dirty guitar lead that we first hear right before the first chorus, and then later it is played underneath the chorus at the end.  That melody is awesome, and the dirty guitar and production was a brilliant decision.  A modern Rush classic, this is.

"All the treasures, the gold and glory
It didn't always feel that way
I don't regret it - I'll never forget it
I wouldn't trade tomorrow for today
Some days were dark
I wish that I could live it all again
Some nights were bright
I wish that I could live it all again"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcFGrWjOX0E

Ghost Rider said:
32. Headlong Flight (from the 2012 album Clockwork Angels)

I remember the fanbase collectively going bonkers when this song was released and I thought it was really good, but not sure it was the gem many said it was. They were right, I was wrong. It didn't take long for me to realize what a brilliantly structured and executed song it is.  If you have never done it, do yourself a favor and listen to the song while focusing on nothing but Geddy Lee's bass playing.  Once you pick your jaw up off the floor, report back. 😉   I also love Alex's dirty guitar lead that we first hear right before the first chorus, and then later it is played underneath the chorus at the end.  That melody is awesome, and the dirty guitar and production was a brilliant decision.  A modern Rush classic, this is.

"All the treasures, the gold and glory
It didn't always feel that way
I don't regret it - I'll never forget it
I wouldn't trade tomorrow for today
Some days were dark
I wish that I could live it all again
Some nights were bright
I wish that I could live it all again"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcFGrWjOX0E
Good gosh Headlong Flight is the bomb. Probably the best song on CA (except possibly The Garden)

Good gosh Headlong Flight is the bomb. Probably the best song on CA (except possibly The Garden)
First off...I love The Weapon. I got to see it live on the Power Windows Warm Up Tour in 1985. Geddy loved coming down here for Spring Training baseball and they did not hit South Florida on the Grace Under Pressure Tour. So...they came here in March 1985 and played the GUP tour setlist and threw in Early pre-recorded versions of The Big Money and Middletown Dreams. The Weapon was played in order between The Enemy Within and Witch Hunt. 

As far as CA. I love the album. I do agree with GR about the production being a little too dense. Which surprised me given how clean and powerful Snakes and Arrows was. Still....the quality of the songwriting on CA is simply awesome and it was a great last record for Rush. A top 10 record in my book.

My top 5 tunes from CA in order:

Clockwork Angels

The Garden

The Anarchist

Headlong Flight 

The Wreckers

You've all seen my top 3 from this album now. 😛

The Garden is really good as well, and I am also very fond of Caravan and Halo Effect.  Heck, I am fond of the whole record a lot! :cool:

No bad songs on CA.  I think you did a good job of representing the album overall.  

Interesting tidbit about The Weapon since you all love the Alex solos so much.

Alex Lifeson (Guitar magazine, July 1984): "When we write a song I think in context of a space for the solo. It's left at that. We work on the arrangement to get it tight. When we go into the studio to get the basic tracks down, I spend a couple of days and start doing my solos then. That is usually the first time I think about or work on my solos. Occasionally, I'll throw something down while we're writing just to fill in that space. Very seldom do I use anything. On 'The Weapon' I used a couple of things that came out during those writing sessions. Normally I spend a couple of days on solos and work from scratch. We work on getting a sound. I try to get a feel for what the solo should be doing and then pursue different directions. I might pursue something for hours and do a collage. I'll drop in a whole different section to see how it feels. Then I relearn the solo when we get ready to go back on the road."

31. Middletown Dreams (from the 1985 album Power Windows)

This song was a major grower for me.  I always liked it, but over time, I grew to really love it, and now it is one of my favorites from this record.  I love the way the guitar leads and synths constantly dance around each other, and has a vibe that is so mid 80's (in a good way!).  A very inspiring song, to say the least.  I was thrilled beyond belief when they pulled this out of the vault on the Clockwork Angels tour. :pickle:

"Dreams transport desires
Drive you when you're down..."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cS4nVBb-MY

This song was a major grower for me.  I always liked it, but over time, I grew to really love it, and now it is one of my favorites from this record.  I love the way the guitar leads and synths constantly dance around each other, and has a vibe that is so mid 80's (in a good way!).  A very inspiring song, to say the least.  I was thrilled beyond belief when they pulled this out of the vault on the Clockwork Angels tour. :pickle:

Quality tune. There's a good local Rush cover band near me called Middletown Dreams.

Probably my #1 but definitely in my top 3 overall

My favorite passage from this and it always stuck with me so strongly as a young 15 year old guitarist with big dreams:

The boy walks with his best friend
Through the fields of early May
They walk awhile in silence
One close, one far away 
But he'd be climbing on that bus 
Just him and his guitar 
To blaze across the heavens 
Like a brilliant shooting star

my favorite on this album as well. So upbeat...uplifting as well, obviously, both through the lyrics as well as the musical changes. Love this song. Nice pick.

Keeping up with my plan to go through this every 10 songs, I think its hard to find too much fault in any of these rankings.  Without having a list of my own, its more just a feel.

40. Animate (from the 1993 album Counterparts)  Probably a little high, but I think its in the top 50 for me

39. Anthem (from the 1975 album Fly by Night)  Same with this one.  Love it.  Might be a shade high.

38. The Big Money (from the 1985 album Power Windows)  Just right.  could be higher, but there's so many good songs.  

37. Ghost of a Chance (from the 1991 album Roll the Bones)  Not my favorite on this album, but a good song.  Probably sits around 60-65 for me

36. Clockwork Angels (from the 2012 album Clockwork Angels) Swap with Headlong Flight for me

35. The Camera Eye (from the 1981 album Moving Pictures)  Perfect.

34. Prime Mover (from the 1987 album Hold Your Fire)  Probably a little higher for me.  Great song.

33. The Weapon (from the 1982 album Signals)  Perfect position.  One of the 4 GREAT songs on Signals for me

32  Headlong Flight (from the 2012 album Clockwork Angels)  Swap with Clockwork Angels for me

31. Middletown Dreams (from the 1985 album Power Windows)  I suspect we are going to see a couple more from PW.  So many good tunes.  This one is awesome. 

Looking forward to seeing the next ten on the countdown.  (I am also really looking forward to seeing the ones left off.  Have a feeling I am going to agree with some and disagree with some)

Lets get going on the top 30, shall we? 😉

30. Cygnus X-1 (from the 1977 album A Farewell to Kings)

Ah yes, Rush at their most chaotic and most rocking!  I love the unusual structure of the song, as the first five minutes is all instrumental, and then even in the singing sections, there are no verses or choruses, and then the song ends with that beautiful fade-out coda.  I don't think Geddy's singing was ever as off the charts and over the top as it is near the end of this song. My love for this song has declined ever so slightly over the years (it used to be in my top 20), but it might just be a case of me growing to love songs more than it.  I still think this song is great, although it's definitely one I cannot listen to too often.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OMibr8CqQ4

Looking forward to seeing the next ten on the countdown.  (I am also really looking forward to seeing the ones left off.  Have a feeling I am going to agree with some and disagree with some)
This. Where do I lobby to ensure the song “xxxxx’x xxxxxx” makes the list????

My older brother turned me on to Rush, Exit Stage Left may have been his first album. We wore that one out! I love the song BTW.
absolutely!!!

I will say one thing I never really realized until GR started this thread and I started going through the list and paying some attention to things, but it has taken me this long to realize my favorite Rush album.  

A Show of Hands.  The song list is incredible, and some of the live versions on there I like better than the studio versions.  I won't mention which because I am waiting to see them on the countdown, but considering the "worst" song on the entire album is from arguably their best studio album, that says a lot.  

And btw, there is one particular song on there that if it doesn't make the list, GR and I might be  :boxing:    

:D

I am also curious if we are going to get an honorable mention from My Favorite Headache.  None would make this list, but there are a few good ones.

absolutely!!!

I will say one thing I never really realized until GR started this thread and I started going through the list and paying some attention to things, but it has taken me this long to realize my favorite Rush album.  

A Show of Hands.  The song list is incredible, and some of the live versions on there I like better than the studio versions.  I won't mention which because I am waiting to see them on the countdown, but considering the "worst" song on the entire album is from arguably their best studio album, that says a lot.  

And btw, there is one particular song on there that if it doesn't make the list, GR and I might be  :boxing:    

A Show of Hands is so awesome!  The original VHS release is still arguably my favorite Rush live concert video (the DVD they later did wasn't as good as they modernized the sound a little and it wasn't as great). 

I am also curious if we are going to get an honorable mention from My Favorite Headache.  None would make this list, but there are a few good ones.
My Favorite Headache and Victor (Alex's solo album) both have some good stuff, but this is strictly a Rush list. 

Favorites from MFH: The Present Tense, Window to the World, Slipping and Still
Favorites from Victor: Strip and Go Naked, At the End and Mr. X

A Show of Hands is so awesome!  The original VHS release is still arguably my favorite Rush live concert video (the DVD they later did wasn't as good as they modernized the sound a little and it wasn't as great). 

My Favorite Headache and Victor (Alex's solo album) both have some good stuff, but this is strictly a Rush list. 

Favorites from MFH: The Present Tense, Window to the World, Slipping and Still
Favorites from Victor: Strip and Go Naked, At the End and Mr. X
Agree with Slipping and Still.  Will have to add Grace to Grace.

I will need to listen to Victor again.  It didn't grab me the first listen or two. 

absolutely!!!

I’ll guess:

“Like a streak of lightning that flashes and fades in the summer sky”

Caesar said:
Agree with Slipping and Still.  Will have to add Grace to Grace.

I will need to listen to Victor again.  It didn't grab me the first listen or two. 
I wasn't fond of the singers Alex used on the majority of the songs, but At the End is a terrific song, IMO, and Strip and Go Naked is a killer instrumental.

Ghost Rider said:
Lets get going on the top 30, shall we? 😉

30. Cygnus X-1 (from the 1977 album A Farewell to Kings)

Ah yes, Rush at their most chaotic and most rocking!  I love the unusual structure of the song, as the first five minutes is all instrumental, and then even in the singing sections, there are no verses or choruses, and then the song ends with that beautiful fade-out coda.  I don't think Geddy's singing was ever as off the charts and over the top as it is near the end of this song. My love for this song has declined ever so slightly over the years (it used to be in my top 20), but it might just be a case of me growing to love songs more than it.  I still think this song is great, although it's definitely one I cannot listen to too often.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OMibr8CqQ4
This song is nuts, in the best way possible.

The long intro is kinda typical of Rush's really long songs in that it musically introduces all the different parts of the song that they'll be singing over in the second half. 

Cygnus is a classic and I can relate to declining love for this but back in my college days this was a late night go to song for sure.  Was anxious to hear Primus do this on their upcoming tour.  

29. Double Agent (from the 1993 album Counterparts)

I suspect the placement of this being so high will make some scratch their heads, but I make no apologies; I love this song like crazy.  I thought it was awesome the first time I heard it, and 27 years later is still floors me every time I hear it.  It was a slight bummer that it was a one and done song (only played on the Counterparts tour), but it had that "holy fire" moment that anyone who saw will never forget.  This is another one of those songs where you won't find another one like it in the Rush canon.  It manages to rock like mad, while still having great melodies all over the place.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTBTESwkol4

I suspect the placement of this being so high will make some scratch their heads, but I make no apologies; I love this song like crazy.  I thought it was awesome the first time I heard it, and 27 years later is still floors me every time I hear it.  It was a slight bummer that it was a one and done song (only played on the Counterparts tour), but it had that "holy fire" moment that anyone who saw will never forget.  This is another one of those songs where you won't find another one like it in the Rush canon.  It manages to rock like mad, while still having great melodies all over the place.

I really like this song.  Its heavy and different for them.  I especially like how Geddy sings the mirror line.

Geddy Lee (from the Counterparts World Radio Premiere): "'Double Agent' was a complete exercise in self-indulgence, and really, it was one of the last things we wrote on the record. We'd written all these songs that were heavily structured and were crafted and meticulously worked on: this note and that note, and this is a song we just wanted to kind of get our yah-yahs out and just have a bit of a rave. And really, it's one of the goofiest songs I think we've ever written, but I'm quite happy with the result. In its own way, I think it's an interesting little piece of lunacy."

Glad to see this one make the list. Love this tune - probably makes my personal top 20-25.

Users who are viewing this thread