What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The 50 Greatest RUSH songs of all-time (featuring # 1 from the 1970's) (1 Viewer)

29. Double Agent (from the 1993 album Counterparts)

I suspect the placement of this being so high will make some scratch their heads, but I make no apologies; I love this song like crazy.  I thought it was awesome the first time I heard it, and 27 years later is still floors me every time I hear it.  It was a slight bummer that it was a one and done song (only played on the Counterparts tour), but it had that "holy fire" moment that anyone who saw will never forget.  This is another one of those songs where you won't find another one like it in the Rush canon.  It manages to rock like mad, while still having great melodies all over the place.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTBTESwkol4
I like this song a lot but I’d put half of the songs already in your list above this one. But it's YOUR list and this is a blast! 🙂

I like this song a lot but I’d put half of the songs already in your list above this one. But it's YOUR list and this is a blast! 🙂
Gonna have to agree with joey on this one. I do like this song quite a bit, and I’ve already mentioned my “holy fire” moment in another thread, but its still not going to beat out a lot of the ones already listed. 

I forgot to mention that Double Agent has a lyric that I pull out in conversations from time to time..."So many decisions, a million revisions."

28. Witch Hunt (from the 1981 album Moving Pictures)

The best song of the Fear "trilogy," although it was close between this and The Weapon.  This is my favorite of the Side 2 tunes from Moving Pictures, and was originally intended to be one of their 'studio only' songs, which were always placed as the 2nd to last song on the album, but advances in technology made it possible to later play the song live, and the original Fear trilogy was played in full on the Grace Under Pressure tour.  

"Quick to judge
Quick to anger
Slow to understand
Ignorance and prejudice
And fear walk hand in hand..."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MWzDKE4zbY

Ghost Rider said:

The best song of the Fear "trilogy," although it was close between this and The Weapon.  This is my favorite of the Side 2 tunes from Moving Pictures, and was originally intended to be one of their 'studio only' songs, which were always placed as the 2nd to last song on the album, but advances in technology made it possible to later play the song live, and the original Fear trilogy was played in full on the Grace Under Pressure tour.  

"Quick to judge
Quick to anger
Slow to understand
Ignorance and prejudice

Best song on Side 2 of Moving Pictures? You misspelled Camera Eye. 😉 

Witch Hunt is a great song for sure and I personally fluctuate on which of the 3 is the best of the Fear trilogy. Was great to see this live when they played all of moving pictures. Love the cowbell in this song!

Ghost Rider said:

"Quick to judge
Quick to anger
Slow to understand
Ignorance and prejudice

Hell yeah. Love the way the tension builds at the beginning of the tune. One of their more underrated songs IMO. 

Ghost Rider said:

"Quick to judge
Quick to anger
Slow to understand
Ignorance and prejudice

Yep goose bumps everytime live.  More so on R40 under our current regime 

27. Between the Wheels (from the 1984 album Grace Under Pressure)

Similar to Middletown Dreams, this was another song I always liked it, and then after years of liking the song, it suddenly became a favorite. Sometimes the light bulb just takes a little longer to go on for certain songs.  No one would ever call this is one of Rush's heaviest songs, but when Alex's guitar first comes in after those opening keyboard notes, it's just so thunderous and powerful.   I was stunned when this was played on the R30 tour for the first time in 20 years as I figured it was one of those songs they'd never play again.  Side 2 of Grace Under Pressure is probably their weakest "side" of the synth era, yet it still has this beast of a song at its end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cj1eUnNOvpY

Last edited by a moderator:

Similar to Middletown Dreams, this was another song I always liked it, and then after years of liking the song, it suddenly became a favorite. Sometimes the light bulb just takes a little longer to go on for certain songs.  No one would ever call this is one of Rush's heaviest songs, but when Alex's guitar first comes in after those opening keyboard notes, it's just so thunderous and powerful.   I was stunned when this was played on the R30 tour for the first time in 20 years as I figured it was one of those songs they'd never play again.  Side 2 of Grace Under Pressure is probably their weakest "side" of the synth era, yet it still has this beast of a song at its end.

Great song, great placement on the list. I was late to the party on GUP, but this song and the opening track are the songs that warmed me up to the album.

This is another track I used to love but don't listen to as much anymore.  Great tune.  That shrieking guitar at the beginning.

This song shot to the top of my favorite songs on GUP right off the bat. This, Kid Gloves...I was going to type some more song names, but then realized that I was going to list 2/3rds of the songs on this album. Love me some GUP!!! This record came out in my junior or senior year of high school at the peak of "crappy high school rock band hacking away at songs that were too hard for us to really play but we tried anyway.Really loud.in my basement!” 🙂 

anyway, the dissonant intro chords, screaming guitar lines (as mentioned) and the great driving chorus. Top freakin' notch!

:bowtie:

26. Bravado (from the 1991 album Roll the Bones)

This was one of the new Rush songs that was out in the fall of 1991 that helped convert me into a diehard fan.  I know Neil Peart once said that this was one of his favorite songs they ever did, and I can see why; it's a lovely tune with gorgeous melodies and great, understated playing.  And really good lyrics, too, of course.  Rush has long been considered more of a band for males, but this is one Rush song that females always seem to like, at least most of the ones I have played it for have. :cool:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUSpBAmSMb8

Ghost Rider said:

This was one of the new Rush songs that was out in the fall of 1991 that helped convert me into a diehard fan.  I know Neil Peart once said that this was one of his favorite songs they ever did, and I can see why; it's a lovely tune with gorgeous melodies and great, understated playing.  And really good lyrics, too, of course.  Rush has long been considered more of a band for males, but this is one Rush song that females always seem to like, at least most of the ones I have played it for have. :cool:

very nice!  love this one

Ghost Rider said:

I think you and I have similar tastes when it comes to Rush. 🙂 What some might consider "too pop" or commercial, we recognize as good songwriting, excellent/catchy melodies, concise presentation. That said, I really like this song, but it’s not above 50% of your top 50 for me so far. I can’t wait to see the next 25 though. 

Love Bravado. Terrific live. I find these lyrics particularly appropriate now:

And if the music stops
There's only the sound of the rain
All the hope and glory
All the sacrifice in vain
And if love remains
Though everything is lost
We will pay the price
But we will not count the cost

What the heck, let's do another today!

25. Cold Fire (from the 1993 album Counterparts)

A rare song by the band about relationships, this is another melodic wonderland.  Everything about this song is awesome: the lyrics, the guitar work, Geddy's vocal melodies, etc.  And in the annals of Neil Peart's drum parts that I air drum every single time, his cymbal ride during the chorus is right near the top of the list.  I cannot NOT air drum that.  I remember when this song came out, I was convinced it would become a live staple, yet it was only played on the one tour, so I was dead wrong on that one.  Oh well, I still love it to pieces.

"Don't go too far
A phosphorescent wave on a tropical sea is a cold fire
Don't cross the line
The pattern of moonlight on the bedroom floor is a cold fire
Don't let me down
The flame at the heart of a pawnbroker's diamond is a cold fire
Don't break the spell
The look in your eyes as you head for the door is a cold fire"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_saheuIIjQ

A rare song by the band about relationships, this is another melodic wonderland.  Everything about this song is awesome: the lyrics, the guitar work, Geddy's vocal melodies, etc.  And in the annals of Neil Peart's drum parts that I air drum every single time, his cymbal ride during the chorus is right near the top of the list.  I cannot NOT air drum that.  I remember when this song came out, I was convinced it would become a live staple, yet it was only played on the one tour, so I was dead wrong on that one.  Oh well, I still love it to pieces.

"Don't go too far
Don't cross the line
Don't let me down
Don't break the spell

The other thing drummers might note about the coolness of the beat in the chorus is not just the lovely ride cymbal bell he's pinging in that part, but the fact that he's not playing the snare on the downbeat (like a normal rock beat) but hits a tom  instead. This opens up the chorus to have more air. 

ps. Do another song today!! It’s Friday night and we have no where to go. 

I’m pretty sure Cold Fire would make my list, but certainly not everyone’s. 

With only 24 picks left now and many seemingly obvious choices, each alternate choice is that much more interesting. 😎

3 from Counterparts now, you would tell us if that’s all, right?

Love me some Cold Fire. The pattern of moonlight lyric is terrific. I also really enjoy:

I'll be around
If you don't let me down too far
I'll be around
If you don't let me down

Great list GR. Didn’t we already do The Analog Kid though? Maybe I’ll nit pick that placement vs. Cold Fire just to mix it up a little  :boxing:

From the first time I heard Between The Wheels, I fell in love with it. So dark and brooding. And such a signature Rush song IMO of the synth era. Alex’s guitar work is the highlight of this beast.

Ghost Rider said:

One their finest songs ever. Great choice here. And the live version on Different Stages for me is the signature version. The amazing extended Alex’s solo section is majestic. Just a gorgeous arrangement. And Neils playing is so precise. Geddy gives one of his finest vocal performances too.

"Don't go too far
Don't cross the line
Don't let me down
Don't break the spell

Such an amazing song. This was also one I wish they would have brought back live. I remember it is a little rough around the edges on the CP tour so maybe that is why it never made it back. The chorus is out of control good and yes......the signature Neil bell ride is impossible not to air drum too. My kid can play this on the drums like a beast. 

Also....this is one of my wife’s favorites from the band (along with Marathon, Analog Kid, Manhattan Project, Mission, Time Stand Still, Turn The Page, Distanrt Early Warning). In fact my wife’s favorite time period is Waves through T4E. She especially loves the synth era more than any other. 

3 from Counterparts now, you would tell us if that’s all, right?
I would, yes, but I would hate to lie to ya. 😉

Such an amazing song. This was also one I wish they would have brought back live. I remember it is a little rough around the edges on the CP tour so maybe that is why it never made it back. The chorus is out of control good and yes......the signature Neil bell ride is impossible not to air drum too. My kid can play this on the drums like a beast. 

Also....this is one of my wife’s favorites from the band (along with Marathon, Analog Kid, Manhattan Project, Mission, Time Stand Still, Turn The Page, Distanrt Early Warning). In fact my wife’s favorite time period is Waves through T4E. She especially loves the synth era more than any other. 
Your wife sounds like a keeper. :cool:

I agree with you regarding Cold Fire live.  Geddy seemed to struggle with the chorus, even back on the tour in 1994 when his voice was still in really good shape, and I have always suspected that is why it was never brought back.

24. Manhattan Project (from the 1985 album Power Windows)

This is another song I fell in love right away after seeing the A Show of Hands VHS.  I love the cinematic feel of it, and the lyrics are very poignant, especially when you think about what is going in the world today, 35 years after the song was written.  It still grinds me gears just a tad that when it was brought back on the 2012, it being my only chance to see it, it was rotated and our city was on the night when it was not played, but that doesn't take away from my love for it at all.

"The big bang, took and shook the world
Shot down the rising sun
The end was begun, it would hit everyone
When the chain reaction was done
The big shots, try to hold it back
Fools try to wish it away
The hopeful depend on a world without end
Whatever the hopeless may say"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6CaKoX5a6o

24. Manhattan Project (from the 1985 album Power Windows)

This is another song I fell in love right away after seeing the A Show of Hands VHS.  I love the cinematic feel of it, and the lyrics are very poignant, especially when you think about what is going in the world today, 35 years after the song was written.  It still grinds me gears just a tad that when it was brought back on the 2012, it being my only chance to see it, it was rotated and our city was on the night when it was not played, but that doesn't take away from my love for it at all.

"The big bang, took and shook the world
Shot down the rising sun
The end was begun, it would hit everyone
When the chain reaction was done
The big shots, try to hold it back
Fools try to wish it away
The hopeful depend on a world without end
Whatever the hopeless may say"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6CaKoX5a6o
Thanks for sneaking in another tonight!

I love power windows and I love this song. I think this is in the perfect position on the list when I think of what’s to come. Alex's guitar melody line in this song is probably my favorite part. 

23. Closer to the Heart (from the 1977 album A Farewell to Kings)

I feel like I underrated this song for a long time, almost like I took it from granted, but it really is a great song and one of their best.  And it was always great live, when they would extend the outro (see the link below for a live version from 1988).  The amazing thing about this song is that they managed to write it in 1977. This was smack dab in the middle of their progressive phase, where they were trying all kinds of different structures and longer format songs, yet they managed to write an insanely catchy song that came it at under 3 minutes on vinyl.  It's amazing how much punch it packed for being so short.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0oem46aJgUg

Ghost Rider said:

I feel like I underrated this song for a long time, almost like I took it from granted, but it really is a great song and one of their best.  And it was always great live, when they would extend the outro (see the link below for a live version from 1988).  The amazing thing about this song is that they managed to write it in 1977. This was smack dab in the middle of their progressive phase, where they were trying all kinds of different structures and longer format songs, yet they managed to write an insanely catchy song that came it at under 3 minutes on vinyl.  It's amazing how much punch it packed for being so short.

This is undeniably a great Rush song and probably in the perfect slot in this countdown. It has kinda faded for me over the years and I typically skip it if it comes up on shuffle to move on to other songs. Good call on it's relative simplicity for the era of their songwriting (though 2112 had Lessons and Tears, and Permanent Waves has Entre Nous and Different Strings). This song is in plain old 4/4 time for its entirety, which is part of it's straightforward, relatively simple structure and sound. Rush shows great restraint not throwing in a 7/8 or 6/4 break in there some where to show off a bit 😉 

Great takes on the song above, and I think the perfect placement on the list. 

Really the only arguments against this song are it’s simplicity and popularity (overplayed), not real reasons IMO.

The best thing about Closer To The Heart are the lyrics. They ring so strongly. And the solo section and it’s outro back into the last verse is incredibly underrated.

Ghost Rider said:

Wow...thanks.  Never heard the extended outro before.

22. Distant Early Warning (from the 1982 album @Grace Under Pressure)

Overlooked in the Rush synth era, I believe, is just how darn catchy many of the keyboard melodies were, and the lead one in this song is among the catchiest.  As soon as you hear it, the song grabs you and never lets go.  Much has been spoken over the years of what a great job Alex Lifeson did in this era, as he had to find ways to work his guitar into the songs that were necessarily guitar-driven, and his work in this one in particular is masterful.  The progression of what he plays in the second verse until it finally arrives at the chorus is one of my favorite Lerxst moments ever.  Tremendous song, with a spectacular atmosphere.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrDj5XvZXX4

Overlooked in the Rush synth era, I believe, is just how darn catchy many of the keyboard melodies were, and the lead one in this song is among the catchiest.  As soon as you hear it, the song grabs you and never lets go.  Much has been spoken over the years of what a great job Alex Lifeson did in this era, as he had to find ways to work his guitar into the songs that were necessarily guitar-driven, and his work in this one in particular is masterful.  The progression of what he plays in the second verse until it finally arrives at the chorus is one of my favorite Lerxst moments ever.  Tremendous song, with a spectacular atmosphere.

The synth era is my high school/college years, so I LOVE all these albums, especially Signals, Power Windows and Grace Under Pressure. I also love the older stuff a lot, but those 3 (plus Moving Pictures) are MY Rush albums. So nothing but love for Distant Early Warning and any other songs you pick from these albums. Couldn’t agree more with Alex's amazing ability to weave driving melody lines and super interesting chord structures into the songs of this era. Enhanced his standing as an all-time great guitarist in my eyes. 

ETA: I’ll add that I got to see the Grace Under Pressure Warm Up show at Radio City Music Hall in NYC in 81 or 82 (need to dig up the ticket stub. Yup, I still have 8 or 9 Rush ticket stubs from those concerts in my formative years). That was the show where Neil first introduced the set-in-the-round, but they hadn’t yet made his riser rotate 180. So a song from GUP started and it took my brother and I a minute to lean into each other and said "is Neil facing away from us!?!?”  It was an epic show!

The synth era is my high school/college years, so I LOVE all these albums, especially Signals, Power Windows and Grace Under Pressure. I also love the older stuff a lot, but those 3 (plus Moving Pictures) are MY Rush albums. So nothing but love for Distant Early Warning and any other songs you pick from these albums. Couldn’t agree more with Alex's amazing ability to weave driving melody lines and super interesting chord structures into the songs of this era. Enhanced his standing as an all-time great guitarist in my eyes. 

ETA: I’ll add that I got to see the Grace Under Pressure Warm Up show at Radio City Music Hall in NYC in 81 or 82 (need to dig up the ticket stub. Yup, I still have 8 or 9 Rush ticket stubs from those concerts in my formative years). That was the show where Neil first introduced the set-in-the-round, but they hadn’t yet made his riser rotate 180. So a song from GUP started and it took my brother and I a minute to lean into each other and said "is Neil facing away from us!?!?”  It was an epic show!
Not that I wish I was older :lol: , but I wish I had been able to see those 80's tours the band did.

I have seen the tip of the iceberg. And I’m definitely worried.

But I love some DEW, any day of the week. Good call here and glad to see GUP well represented.

I just looked up the first rock concert I attended, Rush, MSG 1982. I tagged along with my older bother and friends. I was 13.

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/rush/1982/madison-square-garden-new-york-ny-6bd7369a.html

I just looked up the first rock concert I attended, Rush, MSG 1982. I tagged along with my older bother and friends. I was 13.

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/rush/1982/madison-square-garden-new-york-ny-6bd7369a.html
YES! I was there when you were!

I just checked my stubs and that was also the 1st Rush concert I saw with my older brother as well. MSG, Section 430, Row E, Seat 12. Cost a whole $10.50!!!!

Nose bleed for sure! (and I don't even see section 430 on a current seating chart. HA!

joey said:
YES! I was there when you were!

I just checked my stubs and that was also the 1st Rush concert I saw with my older brother as well. MSG, Section 430, Row E, Seat 12. Cost a whole $10.50!!!!

Nose bleed for sure! (and I don't even see section 430 on a current seating chart. HA!
How cool is that. I have to check my attic for the ticket stub (very unlikely) but absolutely < 15 bucks for the ticket. 

In those days you bought tickets at the mall, whichever ones they had in their stock.  :loco:

Users who are viewing this thread